Insignia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I'm going to post about the lightly regarded Best Buy house brand, Insignia.

I've been comparing a number of inexpensive 42" to 50" TVs at a number of stores and my impression was that the Insignia sets held up pretty well against sets from LG, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, and Panasonic. Looking at sets selling in the $500 to $750 range. In fact, I thought a couple of the Insignia sets were right there at the top. This really surprised me, for I had written them off and wasn't even comparing them at first.

These are very basic sets with limited features. No smart TV functions, don't even have Ethernet connectors. My idea is that if you aren't going to spend a lot, then you need to focus upon getting the best picture for the dollar and not the most features.

After being surprised at how decent the images were from a couple of the Insignia models, I went searching out on the Internet to find reviews. Not many out there, but I did find a couple.

CNET reviewed the 55A480 set and gave it a pretty reasonable review, stating "The Insignia NS-55E480 is an affordable 55-inch LED TV with decent picture quality. Colors don't lack for vibrancy, black levels are deep enough for a TV of this size and price, and shadow detail is pretty good."
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/insignia-ns-55e480a13a/4505-6482_7-35554161.html

TelevisionInfo.com reviewed a lower end model, the 50L240 and also found it to be a pretty decent set for the money, "The Insignia NS-50L240A13 is not a bad performer at all. It has a decent contrast, it has an excellent uniformity, and the screen dynamics are great, too. For a budget-friendly TV, this Insignia exceeds our expectations."
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Insignia-NS-50L240A13-HDTV-Review/Performance.htm

I was looking at the 46A481 and I thought it looked a bit better than anything else in its price range at Best Buy, and a little better than Sony & Samsung models selling for $100 more. I was all set to go with something like the LG 47LS4500 or Toshiba 46LS5200, until I spent some time watching each, and fiddling with the settings on each. I felt the Insignia had the better picture.

Sure they are "generic" sets built under contract for BB by who knows who. But really, so are the other sets in these prices. LG and Toshiba and Sony and others contract out the lower end sets to manufacturers all over the place. Haven't made up my mind yet, but so far, this set seems to be the best bang for the buck I've found in this low-end price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM

Did you ever get the Insignia?

I'm looking at the NS-55E480A13a.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a 39L240A13 after christmas and am quite surprised by its pic quality and its overall build.Who knows where the parts came from,I would like to find out,but together they all work pretty good.See what happens down the road.

WAP 16.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Have you tried any gaming on it?

I've read that the Insignia sets have input lag issues on Xbox and PS3.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLp vAk3r0 View Post

Did you ever get the Insignia?

I'm looking at the NS-55E480A13a.

Actually, I did!

I decided that I wasn't super concerned about getting a high end TV and just didn't want to drop a lot of cash on one right now. So I got the 46E481A13 for $529.

For the most part, I am satisfied with it. The colors are a bit off, greens and blues have a little "pop" to them. There are scenes where grass can be a very vivid green, and where blues can be a little emphasized and with a little purple hue to them. This is much less prominent with the color temp set to "Warm." The viewing angle is pretty average, so if you need a set where you want people to watch all around a room, it might not do the trick.

On the positive side there is little "flashlighting," no clouding at all, uniformity seems good, blacks are reasonably deep.

I certainly don't consider it a videophile's dream, but it is a good value for someone looking to get a basic set.

Don't know about lag or gaming as I do not have my computer connected to it.

I looked at the LG 47LS4500, Toshiba 46L5200U, Insignia 50L260, and a Samsung LN46E550, along with the 46E481 and went with the 46E481. If I had it to do over, I would make the same choice. I liked it better than the lower cost budget sets I looked at, like those bearing Westinghouse, Dynex, Haier, and more.

I also looked at better sets, like the Samsung 46ES6100, Sony EX640 series, Sharp 52LE640U and some other sets. I liked some of these better, for sure. The 46ES6100 was $270 more and I decided it just wasn't that much better (I didn't care about 3D).

This set is not "Smart" and doesn't have an Ethernet port. I have a Panasonic Blu-Ray player which has their Viera Smart software and so it provides my Internet connectivity.

I didn't see any other set selling for under $650 which I liked better. And I feel it is reasonably close, in overall 2D picture quality, to some sets selling for more.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought the Insignia 26" TV, model# NS-26E340A13, & not all that happy with the TV. I got it on Black Friday for $99.99. I don't like that there's no program guide that tells you what's on, other than the current program. I also don't like that the menu is slow to respond. It also likes to exit the menu prematurely. The tuner doesn't like to load all the channels into the channel list (this is primarily a problem with low power digital TV stations than the full power stations). I also find that I must do a full rescan when new subchannels are available. I wish it gave the option to scan for new channels without clearing out existing channels, or manuallly enter the RF channel for new subchannels. It won't let me manually delete channels that I don't want. It only allows me to uncheck the channels I don't want. I'm gonna do some more research, but I'd rather pay more for a TV that has a program guide, allow manual channel scans, & has a good picture. I do know that a new Insignia will not be in my future. I don't know if I'd consider Dynex (another brand that I've only seen at Best Buy), or get an LG or Samsung. I've thought about Vizio & RCA too, but not sure if they'll have what I'm looking for.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I admit that I haven't even checked if my set has a program guide. I'm using an on-line guide and most of my viewing is from Netflix. And I am very patient on menu buttons and power on time and stuff like that. I've never really paid attention to those things and if they take an extra couple of seconds, it doesn't matter to me. I have noticed that it does only a full scan when you want to search for new channels. I was trying out different antennas, so I happened to like that it cleared each time. I can see why someone would want this feature. I haven't had any problems with it exiting the menu quickly.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will add that the Super Bowl looked very good on this set. And it isn't because I'm not used to HD. I owned a 47" HDTV set for 7 years prior to this one. My source was OTA.

It was funny that the Best Buy sales guys were really down on Insignia. One of them told me it was "total crap" and very unreliable. Of course that same guy was very poorly informed on several HD topics.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bombadil View Post

Actually, I did!

I decided that I wasn't super concerned about getting a high end TV and just didn't want to drop a lot of cash on one right now. So I got the 46E481A13 for $529.

I have been pleased with this set given what I paid. Today I am even more pleased. For Best Buy now has it on sale for $449 and as I was still (barely) within my 30 day purchase window, they issued an $80 refund.

My only significant complaint about the set is that it over emphasizes light greens. There are shows where when people are walking on grass where the grass is too bright and has a bit too much yellow in it. Hard to overlook. The problem isn't present on football games, where the greens are a bit darker. If I could tame this, I would be extremely happy with the set, given the price.

Overall I am surprised at how nice a picture such an inexpensive set can produce. Also at the reasonably decent build quality. I can't speak as to the parts quality but the frame is very sturdy.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bombadil View Post

I have been pleased with this set given what I paid. Today I am even more pleased. For Best Buy now has it on sale for $449 and as I was still (barely) within my 30 day purchase window, they issued an $80 refund.

My only significant complaint about the set is that it over emphasizes light greens. There are shows where when people are walking on grass where the grass is too bright and has a bit too much yellow in it. Hard to overlook. The problem isn't present on football games, where the greens are a bit darker. If I could tame this, I would be extremely happy with the set, given the price.

Overall I am surprised at how nice a picture such an inexpensive set can produce. Also at the reasonably decent build quality. I can't speak as to the parts quality but the frame is very sturdy.

Have you tried gaming on it?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jLp vAk3r0 View Post

Have you tried gaming on it?

No. I don't own a gaming machine. Sorry.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Xbox 360 Elite 120 Gb Console System , Playstation 3 160gb System , Lg 47ls4500 47 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba 46l5200u 46 Inches 1080p 120hz Led Tv , Samsung Ln46e550 46 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un46es6100 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black , Sony Kdl46ex640 46 Inch 120hz Led Wifi Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page