Always sort reviews by date, not by helpfulness. Many things get fixed over time. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 946

For any TV.

Just a quick shout out in case it never occurred to someone looking: consider sorting reviews by date.

I'm not going to name any manufacturer in particular (LG) but many problems are solved by firmware updates that didn't show up sometimes until December! You'll never get an accurate reading on a device with an early review, and you can't trust reviewers to update.

Further, there are also build-dates on these things that can offer subtle improvements (or break things).

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 28
.. or any product, for that matter.

I agree - the most "helpful" reviews often seem to be from early in any particular product's lifecycle, and many contain outdated info.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post

.. or any product, for that matter.

I agree - the most "helpful" reviews often seem to be from early in any particular product's lifecycle, and many contain outdated info.

Yep, and almost by definition. They're the oldest reviews, so of course they stand the highest chances of getting the most positive votes. But their usefulness decays if not updated religiously, which you certainly can't count on someone to do.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page