Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ordered my onkyo home theater in a box yesterday, buying the m series 60" this weekend, and getting a new tv stand from ikea as well.

Only thing else i need is a mount. Never done a mount before, how hard is this going to be with a low profile mount? looking around on monoprice, but not sure which mount to get for my experience/needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone paired an M-series TV with a Sonos playbar and used the TV's SPDIF output to feed the Playbar?

I have a Vizio M801d-A3 arriving in a few days. I was hoping to pair it with a Sonos Playbar to permit easy integration with our existing Sonos system and minimize the components in the setup, but after doing some reading, I am a bit concerned about the audio that the TV passes through to the soundbar via the TV's SPDIF output. Specifically, will the M801d-A3 pass through 5.1 audio, or will it downsample everything to PCM before sending to the soundbar?

If it passes 5.1 through, what happens when a DTS signal is sent to the TV? (For those outside the Sonos universe, for some inexplicable reason, the Playbar currently only supports DD5.1 and not DTS. If you try sending a DTS signal directly to the Playbar, you get silence.)

If the TV downsamples to PCM, you lose audio quality and negate some of the benefits of a fancy soundbar. I suppose I could have audio go directly from the source (e.g., Blu-Ray player) to the soundbar, but this (1) cancels out some of the simplicity that the Playbar would otherwise provide if the TV did the audio switching and (2) would require me to purchase additional components (like an SPDIF switcher and something like an Oppo Blu-Ray player that's capable of downsampling DTS to avoid sending an incompatible signal to the Playbar).

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Fonman99 likes this.
post #3603 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
god this TV is awesome. I finally got around to watching a true 1080p movie (Oblivion) and the picture quality blew me away. And the picture was just silky smooth during action scenes. No Dirty Screen or pixelation like you get watching cable broadcasts. Plasmas can't touch this thing in my opinion. My PS3 gets here tomorrow. Cant wait to check out gaming on this pig.
cash70, backmeup and hellspawn13 like this.
post #3604 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepetto420 View Post

god this TV is awesome. I finally got around to watching a true 1080p movie (Oblivion) and the picture quality blew me away. And the picture was just silky smooth during action scenes. No Dirty Screen or pixelation like you get watching cable broadcasts. Plasmas can't touch this thing in my opinion. My PS3 gets here tomorrow. Cant wait to check out gaming on this pig.

Just watched Oblivion last night and I'll have to agree with you about the picture quality. Simply amazing from start to end.
backmeup and gepetto420 like this.
post #3605 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:

How did you watch it, blu ray?

I've been renting everythign online (mostly amazon) for the past year but all this talk of IQ makes me want to try a blu ray again smile.gif
post #3606 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

How did you watch it, blu ray?

I've been renting everythign online (mostly amazon) for the past year but all this talk of IQ makes me want to try a blu ray again smile.gif

rented it on VUDU w/ HDX quality (1080p)
post #3607 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 AM

I've never used Vudu. How does it compare to Amazon VOD quality?
post #3608 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

I've never used Vudu. How does it compare to Amazon VOD quality?

I dont know I dont use Amazon haha. I'm new to the movie streaming services but I have seen some netflix streams and Vudu blows it away. I dont have a blu ray player but I got a PS3 on the way. Vudu lets you stream in 1080p, does Amazon do the same ? Oh yea when you sign up for Vudu they give you 10 free movies. They look real good even though they say they are in Standard Def.
post #3609 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM

Found this comparison of services. It is from 2012, but at least it gives some basic info. Like you, I have used Amazon and not Vudu. But I might give it a try this weekend.

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2012/04/netflix-vs-vudu-vs-hulu-plus-vs-amazon.html
post #3610 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Anyone know if you can play Tomb Raider for PS3 in 3D ?
post #3611 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Liked: 14
Just got the 1.08 update for my 70 inch

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
post #3612 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 58
Quote:

Welcome to the club! I just got my Oblivion Blu-ray in the mail yesterday and haven't cracked it open yet. Can't wait to check it out though.

On a side note, If the PQ is at least as good as what I'm seeing on the Amazon instant preview trailer, it will be spectacular. I'm amazed at the state of Internet video these days. I remember when Rob Glazer's RealPlayer software was the state of the art. He's probably marvelling at how far the tech has come since then.

About PS3

It rocks for Blu-ray and games. But I prefer my Roku 3 for smart apps. Especially since it has an integrated spotify and Vevo app for music over the surrounds. Hopefully your new PS3 will not be an energy hog like mine. My PS3 fan sounds like a DC3.

Looking forward to checking out the Oblivion BR and reporting back.

gepetto420 likes this.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #3613 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post

Has anyone paired an M-series TV with a Sonos playbar and used the TV's SPDIF output to feed the Playbar?

I have a Vizio M801d-A3 arriving in a few days. I was hoping to pair it with a Sonos Playbar to permit easy integration with our existing Sonos system and minimize the components in the setup, but after doing some reading, I am a bit concerned about the audio that the TV passes through to the soundbar via the TV's SPDIF output. Specifically, will the M801d-A3 pass through 5.1 audio, or will it downsample everything to PCM before sending to the soundbar?

If it passes 5.1 through, what happens when a DTS signal is sent to the TV? (For those outside the Sonos universe, for some inexplicable reason, the Playbar currently only supports DD5.1 and not DTS. If you try sending a DTS signal directly to the Playbar, you get silence.)

If the TV downsamples to PCM, you lose audio quality and negate some of the benefits of a fancy soundbar. I suppose I could have audio go directly from the source (e.g., Blu-Ray player) to the soundbar, but this (1) cancels out some of the simplicity that the Playbar would otherwise provide if the TV did the audio switching and (2) would require me to purchase additional components (like an SPDIF switcher and something like an Oppo Blu-Ray player that's capable of downsampling DTS to avoid sending an incompatible signal to the Playbar).

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I have the M701d hooked up to my Sonos Playbar and Sub, and it sounds fantastic. But you are right in that it all depends on the signal the Playbar is receiving. I have turned the internal speakers off on the TV and told it to send Bitstream via the optical. I get great seperation, and have even setup a few Play:3 speakers as rear surrounds on occasion.

You can tell what type of signal Playbar is receiving by going to About My Sonos System in any controller. If it's not showing 5.1 then the optical output of your device isn't sending it.

Vizio M701d-A3 70" TV - http://store.vizio.com/m701da3.html
SONOS Playbar / SUB / 2 PLAY:3 surrounds - http://www.sonos.com/system

post #3614 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 10:30 AM

The software for my M701d updated last night, so now what is it suppose to do? I did not have any problems with my remote even sitting 17 ft from the TV. On the other hand, I’m not anal about remote controls and use my old Harmony 880 to switch the TV, Receiver and PS3 using one button between TV, DVD or Game. Also haven’t noticed any increase in PQ or anything else.
post #3615 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbo View Post

The software for my M701d updated last night, so now what is it suppose to do? I did not have any problems with my remote even sitting 17 ft from the TV. On the other hand, I’m not anal about remote controls and use my old Harmony 880 to switch the TV, Receiver and PS3 using one button between TV, DVD or Game. Also haven’t noticed any increase in PQ or anything else.

One thing I have noticed is that my Turn Speakers Off setting now remains off when I power off or use the VOL Up button, which is new.
dh58 likes this.

post #3616 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonman99 View Post

I have the M701d hooked up to my Sonos Playbar and Sub, and it sounds fantastic. But you are right in that it all depends on the signal the Playbar is receiving. I have turned the internal speakers off on the TV and told it to send Bitstream via the optical. I get great seperation, and have even setup a few Play:3 speakers as rear surrounds on occasion.

You can tell what type of signal Playbar is receiving by going to About My Sonos System in any controller. If it's not showing 5.1 then the optical output of your device isn't sending it.

Thanks, this is really helpful! I also spoke with Vizio and was told by them that the TV will pass DD 5.1 through the optical out (which works for the Playbar) but will downsample DTS 5.1 before sending to the optical out (which avoids the dreaded DTS-induced silence). Sounds like your setup confirms all this works great. Also planing to do a Playbar + Sub in my setup and can't wait to get it all up and running in the next few weeks.
post #3617 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Anyone know if you can play Tomb Raider for PS3 in 3D ?

It looks like its 2D only, no 3D. You can check the box art for each game and if you see the 3D logo on the front of the box, then its good. If not, it wont be in 3D.

Notice the 3D logo below

hellspawn13 likes this.

My Equipment: 55" Vizio Razor M-Series | Yamaha RX-V473 | Klipsch F3- Floorstands | Klipsch C-2 Center | Klipsch S-10 Surrounds | Playstation 3 | Uverse DVR Motorola VIP-1225 | Apple TV | Harmony Touch
post #3618 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Thanks, this is really helpful! I also spoke with Vizio and was told by them that the TV will pass DD 5.1 through the optical out (which works for the Playbar) but will downsample DTS 5.1 before sending to the optical out (which avoids the dreaded DTS-induced silence). Sounds like your setup confirms all this works great. Also planing to do a Playbar + Sub in my setup and can't wait to get it all up and running in the next few weeks.

One thing I have noticed is the streaming apps (I can only vouch for Amazon Prime) do not pass DD5.1, so it is just stereo, but I think that is a licensing issue.

post #3619 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:

One thing I have noticed is the streaming apps (I can only vouch for Amazon Prime) do not pass DD5.1, so it is just stereo, but I think that is a licensing issue.

Interesting. FWIW, I spoke with Vizio about this in the context of Netflix and was told that the TV will only stream DD5.1 if it determines your download speed is sufficient to do so without interruption. Otherwise, it defaults to 2.0. I asked if there was any threshold or way to test this, or method to force 5.1 streaming, but was told unfortunately not. Not sure if this applies to Amazon as well.
post #3620 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Interesting. FWIW, I spoke with Vizio about this in the context of Netflix and was told that the TV will only stream DD5.1 if it determines your download speed is sufficient to do so without interruption. Otherwise, it defaults to 2.0. I asked if there was any threshold or way to test this, or method to force 5.1 streaming, but was told unfortunately not. Not sure if this applies to Amazon as well.

Ha! I don't have a Netflix account to test that, but I have Fiber to the house with 100mb service...so don't think that is an issue for me.

post #3621 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Quote:

Ha! I don't have a Netflix account to test that, but I have Fiber to the house with 100mb service...so don't think that is an issue for me.

I have a Netflix and only a 3MB connection. I should test to see if its true.
post #3622 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 PM

What's going to be amazing is when the Xbox One comes out. So now in theory you will have your blu-ray player, games, DLNA (hit or miss) AND TV all through one HDMI port, which means you can calibrate the TV for pretty much everything on one port. Plus, all sources will be 5.1 directly out the back of the Xbox One and into your soundbar or receiver. Remember, the new Xbox One has an HDMI passthrough, so your cable/satellite box goes into the Xbox. No more worrying about 5.1 downmixed to stereo or whatever, everything should be pumped out through the Xbox One, in theory of course it should work that way...
post #3623 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigups5 View Post

What's going to be amazing is when the Xbox One comes out. So now in theory you will have your blu-ray player, games, DLNA (hit or miss) AND TV all through one HDMI port, which means you can calibrate the TV for pretty much everything on one port. Plus, all sources will be 5.1 directly out the back of the Xbox One and into your soundbar or receiver. Remember, the new Xbox One has an HDMI passthrough, so your cable/satellite box goes into the Xbox. No more worrying about 5.1 downmixed to stereo or whatever, everything should be pumped out through the Xbox One, in theory of course it should work that way...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. From all the reports I've read, the XB1 will only have a single HDMI-in. That means you'll only be able to run a single component in to get the XB1 UI overlay.

By contrast, my AVR receiver has 4 HDMI-in ports. I'm currently running my DirecTV, PS3 and Roku 3 into the AVR with a single HDMI cable running from the HDMI-out to the TV's HDMI-1 input.

With the XB1 in the mix, it may be possible to run the DirecTV into the XB1, then run the XB1 HDMI-out to one of the AVRs inputs.

Glad I got a Harmony remote to take care of all those switches!

One thing I'm looking forward to is on-demand, layered live data streams (caption boxes and sidebars) related to the current program I'm watching. With the XB1 overlay, it should be possible to see in real time what other people are saying about the show you are watching. A running commentary ala MST3K

backmeup likes this.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #3624 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

VUDU does pass DD5.1 streams out through optical.
post #3625 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoned View Post

I have a Netflix and only a 3MB connection. I should test to see if its true.

you can select your audio settings in the netflix app.

You can select your video quality settings on your account tab on the netflix website.

As a bit of news, those eligible for netflix superHD will get excited about this bit of news:
https://contactus.netflix.com/article/en/node/8739?ba=GSButtonClick&q=SuperHD
Netflix is starting to offer 3d content. But our TVs are not yet offered 3d content.

Sony PlayStation 3 (connected TV must support 3D)
LG TV Series: LM6200, LM6400, LM6600, LM6650, LM6700, LM7600, LS5700, LS5750, PM4700, PM6700, PM6900, PM9700
Additional device support coming soon!
post #3626 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 36
Does anyone have up to date information on the Vizio 54 inch Soundbar - in particular, when its going to drop? I want to keep things simple and as minimalist in design as possible this time around when setting up our new HT - this may be the ticket and dovetail perfectly with our soon to arrive M701!

Below is a link from CES with a quick overview...I linked the Youtube clip to start at the correct time.

CES - Vizio's "Big Daddy" Soundbar
post #3627 of 9827 Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

you can select your audio settings in the netflix app.

You can select your video quality settings on your account tab on the netflix website.

As a bit of news, those eligible for netflix superHD will get excited about this bit of news:
https://contactus.netflix.com/article/en/node/8739?ba=GSButtonClick&q=SuperHD
Netflix is starting to offer 3d content. But our TVs are not yet offered 3d content.

Sony PlayStation 3 (connected TV must support 3D)
LG TV Series: LM6200, LM6400, LM6600, LM6650, LM6700, LM7600, LS5700, LS5750, PM4700, PM6700, PM6900, PM9700
Additional device support coming soon!

I get Netflix 3d on my M601. If your ISP has Open Connect, you can get it. I have Cox. The quality is excellent.
post #3628 of 9827 Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

I get Netflix 3d on my M601. If your ISP has Open Connect, you can get it. I have Cox. The quality is excellent.

Through the Netflix app on the TV or using Netflix on another device that's connected to the TV?
post #3629 of 9827 Old 08-08-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Not sure if this has been posted here but I just saw it on Facebook ................

NEWS: VIZIO Internet Apps Plus rolling out to VIZIO M-Series TVs nationwide.

Check out all the details here: http://blog.vizio.com/post/57436734140/vizio-internet-apps-plus-comes-to-vizio-m-series

Okay...what am I missing here? I thought the M-Series already had these apps?
post #3630 of 9827 Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 AM

One of the things being rolled out now with the firmware upgrade is the full screen apps window. On their website it states, "* Full Screen Apps Window functionality to be available Summer 2013."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page