Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayissuperman View Post

Watching the bucs/ravens right now on my 60 and looks great to me!

Good to know, Jay. Thanks for chiming in. I'll just have to work to dial in my settings once it's delivered in the next week and a half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You guys post some pics of the NFL on your sets.
post #3693 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Coming from a plasma, I think football looks just as good on my 50" M as it did on my plasma. I dont have smooth motion on and it's fine. Honestly, with sports, I dont even notice a difference with smooth motion on or off. Obviously during regular programming it creates the dreaded SOE, but sports they all look the same.
post #3694 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

You guys post some pics of the NFL on your sets.
. Here ya go. Sorry it's a little dark. iPhone camera lol.
post #3695 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Not sure if this has been posted here but I just saw it on Facebook ................

NEWS: VIZIO Internet Apps Plus rolling out to VIZIO M-Series TVs nationwide.

Check out all the details here: http://blog.vizio.com/post/57436734140/vizio-internet-apps-plus-comes-to-vizio-m-series

Looks like us 2012 M'ers will be getting the shaft on the new plus. I have a 65". I asked viz and they said they have no plans for the older M's. I should have waited for the 2013 sets. I got mine late mid march. Sad they appear to be leaving us in the fields on this model. Great set though, but damn I should have waited for the 70 new M.. I digress.
post #3696 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For those who couldn't get a chromecast. Check your netflix app on your android phone and see if your Vizio DTV shows up!

Mine did. This is DIAL support. I like it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
post #3697 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanstop View Post

That is very strange because hdmi 1.3 should not be able to process 3d pass through. So I'm guessing your cables are 1.4. I'm not much help as I don't have your avr to reference to. But concept should be mostly the same.

HDMI 1.4 cables are required to pass 3d. LOTS of HDMI 1.3 cables do in fact pass 3d without a problem.
post #3698 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM

Liked: 11
what receiver are y'all using. have the 60" and now want to hook up my surround, but my current receiver is too out of date. i'm not a knowledgeable audiophile by any means, but like an immersive sound. i have some decent equipment already and need a decent receiver to run it. i like gadgets and have lots of hdmi stuff i like to play with. min of 6 hdmi in. hope for something with a good user interface and or tablet app, get frustrated with oldschool / clunky / button interfaces to program everything. don't have any older stuff with non hdmi or usb hookups. airplay is of possible interest, but also have appletv. have ethernet hookup so i don't think wifi isn't imperative. $550max.

equipment i already own:
60" vizio m601 3d tv
have polk satellite speakers (rm202, rm20, rm10)
yamaha yst-sw315 subwoofer.
stuff to plug in (mac mini, roku, blu ray, apple tv, xbox chromecast, whatever is next)
harmony smart control (wondering if i need to swap it for the ultimate)

receivers i'm looking at
yamaha rx-v675 for $445 ( 6hdmi, this year, new)
yamaha rx-v775 for $519 (6hdmi, this year, new)
yamaha rx-a820 for $399 (8hdmi, last year, open box @newegg)
yamaha rx-a720 for $299 (6`hdmi, last year, open box @newegg)
sony str-dn1040 for $549 (8hdmi, this year, new)
denon avr-x2000 for $500 (7hdmi, this year, new)
-open to anything else in the price range

your thoughts...???
post #3699 of 9861 Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuxCV View Post

what receiver are y'all using. have the 60" and now want to hook up my surround, but my current receiver is too out of date. i'm not a knowledgeable audiophile by any means, but like an immersive sound. i have some decent equipment already and need a decent receiver to run it. i like gadgets and have lots of hdmi stuff i like to play with. min of 6 hdmi in. hope for something with a good user interface and or tablet app, get frustrated with oldschool / clunky / button interfaces to program everything. don't have any older stuff with non hdmi or usb hookups. airplay is of possible interest, but also have appletv. have ethernet hookup so i don't think wifi isn't imperative. $550max.

equipment i already own:
60" vizio m601 3d tv
have polk satellite speakers (rm202, rm20, rm10)
yamaha yst-sw315 subwoofer.
stuff to plug in (mac mini, roku, blu ray, apple tv, xbox chromecast, whatever is next)
harmony smart control (wondering if i need to swap it for the ultimate)

receivers i'm looking at
yamaha rx-v675 for $445 ( 6hdmi, this year, new)
yamaha rx-v775 for $519 (6hdmi, this year, new)
yamaha rx-a820 for $399 (8hdmi, last year, open box @newegg)
yamaha rx-a720 for $299 (6`hdmi, last year, open box @newegg)
sony strnd1040 for $549 (8hdmi, this year, new)
denon avr-x2000 for $500 (7hdmi, this year, new)
-open to anything else in the price range

your thoughts...???

Look at the Harman Kardon 1700. 6 HDMI, and a nice neutral sound, and it's only around $300. It supports 3d, is networked for dlna (though i haven't used that), and they have a mobile app. I haven't used the app yet either. That's what I'm running, and so far so good.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3700 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Look at the Harman Kardon 1700. 6 HDMI, and a nice neutral sound, and it's only around $300. It supports 3d, is networked for dlna (though i haven't used that), and they have a mobile app. I haven't used the app yet either. That's what I'm running, and so far so good.

Looks like a good deal for a quality avr.
post #3701 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

HDMI 1.4 cables are required to pass 3d. LOTS of HDMI 1.3 cables do in fact pass 3d without a problem.

Didn't do a full look-up on 1.4 vs 1.3. Just posted what I knew off the top of my head. Thanks for clearing that up. So yes, the cables could be the issue for Parafly9.
Parafly9- bought a pair of cables off of amazon with prime account. No problems so far. They also have different lengths. Or try monoprice. Remember don't overpay for those monster cables or what-not. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJ8Q34E/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit
post #3702 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

Well, after 1 week ownership of the 80" M, my 1.08 update came through yesterday. I had to recalibrate since the update took it back to factory setting.

hi, I just got the 80" myself, looked through the settings, cant find anywhere where I could check for firmware updates, is it automatic?

And want to hear what happened to me and my 80" Vizio tv?

I purchased it at Sams Club on Tuesday, paid in cash with bonus from retiring. Called the company that Sams Club uses for delivering, boy was I surprised when they said Hello, thank you for calling Sams Club Arkansas. You see, I live in New York lol. Anyways, delivery was set up for Friday. I went to Sams Club on Wednesday to pick up something for my daughter and happened to see my tv still on cart in waiting for delivery section. One of the employees came up to me, he was there when I purchased it, told him I couldn't wait to get it Friday and told him I would let him know how the tv is.
So I get a call from main delivery office confirming my delivery, I said awesome, cant wait. The guy delivering called me said he was at the store to pick up tv and would get to me soon. I said awesome again. Well, here is where it gets interesting, he called me back in 5 minutes and asked me if I had picked up my tv already, and I said no, I was waiting for it to be delivered. He said Sams Club cant find it right now, he would call me back. I said WHAT? lol.
Well, the manager from Sams Club calls me and asked if I had picked my tv, I said no, was waiting for delivery today. She said, there is a problem, will call back soon. Again I said WHAT? lol. So she calls me back again and said they checked their inventory, supposed to have 5 80" tvs on stock and they do, they originally had 6, but I purchased one. She said she would call back soon again. I said oh oh lol. OMG, what is happening here?
Someone else from Sams Club called me back and asked if I picked up tv, once again I said no that I was waiting for this scheduled delivery for today. After paying for delivery by credit card over the phone, why would I even think of picking up tv myself? He said there was something wrong, going to look at Video footage and get back to me.
WOW, Someone stole my 80" tv from Sams Club. How does someone walk out with a 80" TV? hahahahahaa. Those of you who belong to Sams or Costco know there is some checking receipts as you leave store.
They called me back saw a guy, they have his name and asked if I knew him, they told me his name, but wasn't familiar at all. They said ok, we will get to the bottom of this, I think they called the proper authorities lol.
So the delivery guy called said they gave him another tv and he is on his way.
Got the TV yesterday, and wow, I am happy. I originally was gonna get the new Sony 4K but decided against it.
Watched a couple 3D movies and WOW, was freakin awesome.

Now I just cant figure out how the firmware update works lol
post #3703 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniichan View Post

hi, I just got the 80" myself, looked through the settings, cant find anywhere where I could check for firmware updates, is it automatic?

And want to hear what happened to me and my 80" Vizio tv?

I purchased it at Sams Club on Tuesday, paid in cash with bonus from retiring. Called the company that Sams Club uses for delivering, boy was I surprised when they said Hello, thank you for calling Sams Club Arkansas. You see, I live in New York lol. Anyways, delivery was set up for Friday. I went to Sams Club on Wednesday to pick up something for my daughter and happened to see my tv still on cart in waiting for delivery section. One of the employees came up to me, he was there when I purchased it, told him I couldn't wait to get it Friday and told him I would let him know how the tv is.
So I get a call from main delivery office confirming my delivery, I said awesome, cant wait. The guy delivering called me said he was at the store to pick up tv and would get to me soon. I said awesome again. Well, here is where it gets interesting, he called me back in 5 minutes and asked me if I had picked up my tv already, and I said no, I was waiting for it to be delivered. He said Sams Club cant find it right now, he would call me back. I said WHAT? lol.
Well, the manager from Sams Club calls me and asked if I had picked my tv, I said no, was waiting for delivery today. She said, there is a problem, will call back soon. Again I said WHAT? lol. So she calls me back again and said they checked their inventory, supposed to have 5 80" tvs on stock and they do, they originally had 6, but I purchased one. She said she would call back soon again. I said oh oh lol. OMG, what is happening here?
Someone else from Sams Club called me back and asked if I picked up tv, once again I said no that I was waiting for this scheduled delivery for today. After paying for delivery by credit card over the phone, why would I even think of picking up tv myself? He said there was something wrong, going to look at Video footage and get back to me.
WOW, Someone stole my 80" tv from Sams Club. How does someone walk out with a 80" TV? hahahahahaa. Those of you who belong to Sams or Costco know there is some checking receipts as you leave store.
They called me back saw a guy, they have his name and asked if I knew him, they told me his name, but wasn't familiar at all. They said ok, we will get to the bottom of this, I think they called the proper authorities lol.
So the delivery guy called said they gave him another tv and he is on his way.
Got the TV yesterday, and wow, I am happy. I originally was gonna get the new Sony 4K but decided against it.
Watched a couple 3D movies and WOW, was freakin awesome.

Now I just cant figure out how the firmware update works lol
Wow that's crazy. At least you got your tv! The firmware update will come automatically but may take a few days/ weeks. Mine did anyway. Just make sure you have the Internet set up on it so you can get it. Good luck and enjoy!
post #3704 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:

Wow that's crazy. At least you got your tv! The firmware update will come automatically but may take a few days/ weeks. Mine did anyway. Just make sure you have the Internet set up on it so you can get it. Good luck and enjoy!

thanx for the reply,

i'll be waiting patiently smile.gif
post #3705 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Installed my M801d 2 weeks ago. Came with 1.05. Had a message this morning it was updated to 1.08.
post #3706 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

What channel is it? I don't think I get NatGeo.

Odd...I checked and it is NatGeo for me...gonna chalk it up as a glitch to keep an eye on, but nothing more.
As for the sparkles in dark areas, I tried a few channels and didn't see anything, but will report back if I do find something.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #3707 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
just want you to know FACT SONY IS VIZIO thats why vizio is so dam good
post #3708 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM

AND Vizio is SONY duh
post #3709 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatterson444 View Post

Sony doesn't make flat panels. Neither does Vizio. So, for example, a 60" Vizio panel may be made by manufacturer A...and the 50" may be made by manufacturer B. I think there are only 3 or 4 places in the World, where these screens are made. Some, may be Samsung, some may be Sony, and some may be ????
That's the big mystery. And, you see that in the inconsistencies between sizes. While the 50's and 60's appears to be fine, the 55's and the 65's appear to have more issues. Different manufacturers? Possibly.
But, I don't think 1 manufacturer makes all of the Vizio Edge Lit LCD panels/TV's. That's still a mystery.
I'm quite sure though, if you could remove the back off the screen-it would probably say made in 1 of 3 places; China, Korea, or Japan. And, those factories make the same screens for all of the BIG name boys as well.
So, it's quite possible that some of the sets are "made" by Sony, and re-badged as Vizio. And, that's why I bought Vizio-over Samsung or Sony. Same screen. Features may be a bit different, but if the screen is the same, it doesn't matter. And, you save 100's of dollars from not buying from the "big name" brands.

Also, FYI, 1 of my M601d's(the first one I bought over a month ago), updated to firmware 1.08 last night. Now, I have app's a plenty. Remote still sucks......and, the app's full screen. Problem is; I want those App's to be divided by whether or not they are 3D.....but, you can't organize that way.
Oh well-I don't really use the app's much anymore anyways. There are other, more important things on TV right now(sports)...I'll save playing with the app's til the "off season".
But, it did take over a month to get the firmware upgrade on this set. I bought another M601d a few weeks ago, and it's still on 1.05-so I don't expect that set to upgrade for a few weeks. But, from what I've seen-you are not missing anything-other than the full screen app's. No change in PQ, settings, or remote.
post #3710 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 66
Can someone explain what the point of smart dimming is ? When I have it on it introduces some hardcore blooming and makes tv viewing at night, especially 4:3 content unwatchable. Is it just a tacked on feature by Vizio to help sell units ? It seems to be one of those "Hot" words in LED right now, every major brand has some variation of dimming but Vizio's is the only one I've seen that actually makes the picture much worse.
post #3711 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM

I need some help here...When I first got my 50" M-Series, everything was perfect! However, a week or so ago these black bars showed up at the top and bottom of the screen like when you watch a movie except that it was doing it with the cable. I've mostly ignored it for now, but I just started to play some PS3 games and noticed that its doing it right now as im playing games too instead of taking up the full screen. Did I accidentally mess with a setting? I tried going through the settings with no luck...whats going on?
post #3712 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

Can someone explain what the point of smart dimming is ? When I have it on it introduces some hardcore blooming and makes tv viewing at night, especially 4:3 content unwatchable. Is it just a tacked on feature by Vizio to help sell units ? It seems to be one of those "Hot" words in LED right now, every major brand has some variation of dimming but Vizio's is the only one I've seen that actually makes the picture much worse.

Smart Dimming is there to help reduce light bleed and also makes blacks slightly better. I've mentioned previously in this thread though, that I'd only use it if I had the worst bleed possible (and at that point, just return it) because it introduces a lot of unnecessary bleed when the screen is mostly black with something bright in the center. If you have minimal bleed, there is really no need to turn Smart Dimming on at all.
post #3713 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Finally pulled the trigger last night and ordered my 70". Now we play the waiting game for it to ship and arrive :/ Ordered from Sam's Club online.

Steve
post #3714 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

I thought you were going to back to a F7100 today?

Smart dimming is a scheme to improve contrast, black levels and uniformity. More expensive LED televisions such as the F8000 and KDL-W900A actually dims different areas of the backlight (the more zones the better) as opposed to being strictly video based. IMHO the Sony XBR-HX950 from last year is still the best LED television you can buy (including Sony's 4K XBR-X900A) - it has full array local dimming. This model is now discontinued so inventory is drying up.

A misconception is that edge-lit technology is the cause for light leakage and uniformity problems of today's LED televisions. Though there's some merit in the case of edge light leakage but back-lit televisions also have hot spots and uniformity issues. The bottom line is you have to pay through the nose to get a LED with very minimal uniformity issues and deep blacks. I prefer the KDL-W900A over the the F8000 because you're not being forced to pay for all the interaction garbage but the Sony only comes in a 55 inch size.

Though smart dimming on the "M" series introduces blooming it's overall PQ is better than without it. Other than the two aforementioned televisions I doubt you'll find a LED that's better. Perhaps the Sony KD-W802A is another option and the TV you're thinking of getting again, the F7100.

I suggest you read the provided link, it's dated but the write up by David Katzmaier mainly holds up: http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #3715 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 17
Here is a video I took of the pixel flickering on my 70". Does this look like it could be a cable issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwMnCDpq_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder if it might be the reciever... All inputs from the reviever have this issue, native TV does not
post #3716 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatterson444 View Post

No it's not. I had service on my 55" and all the components and Panel were LG. The service guy said they sometimes use other components but all the panels he has seen in the Vizio have been LG.
post #3717 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Smart Dimming is there to help reduce light bleed and also makes blacks slightly better. I've mentioned previously in this thread though, that I'd only use it if I had the worst bleed possible (and at that point, just return it) because it introduces a lot of unnecessary bleed when the screen is mostly black with something bright in the center. If you have minimal bleed, there is really no need to turn Smart Dimming on at all.

Blooming is a much bigger problem than minor flashlighting IMO. I was watching a 4:3 movie the other day with Smart Dimming on and the sidebars would become engulfed by the blooming effect everytime there was a light image on screen. It seems to be a major flaw and I wonder how Vizio didn't notice and correct it. It slightly corrects one problem but then introduces a bigger problem. It makes no sense.
post #3718 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

I thought you were going to back to a F7100 today?

Smart dimming is a scheme to improve contrast, black levels and uniformity. More expensive LED televisions such as the F8000 and KDL-W900A actually dims different areas of the backlight (the more zones the better) as opposed to being strictly video based. IMHO the Sony XBR-HX950 from last year is still the best LED television you can buy (including Sony's 4K XBR-X900A) - it has full array local dimming. This model is now discontinued so inventory is drying up.

A misconception is that edge-lit technology is the cause for light leakage and uniformity problems of today's LED televisions. Though there's some merit in the case of edge light leakage but back-lit televisions also have hot spots and uniformity issues. The bottom line is you have to pay through the nose to get a LED with very minimal uniformity issues and deep blacks. I prefer the KDL-W900A over the the F8000 because you're not being forced to pay for all the interaction garbage but the Sony only comes in a 55 inch size.

Though smart dimming on the "M" series introduces blooming it's overall PQ is better than without it. Other than the two aforementioned televisions I doubt you'll find a LED that's better. Perhaps the Sony KD-W802A is another option and the TV you're thinking of getting again, the F7100.

I suggest you read the provided link, it's dated but the write up by David Katzmaier mainly holds up: http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

Well I'm returning my Vizio tomorrow and I will either be getting another Vizio or the 7100 again. The Vizio is awesome don't get me wrong but the Dimming/blooming bugs me. I do have some flashlighting on the bottom edge but its not terrible. I've tried the 802a and the M kicks its ass.
post #3719 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Watching the bucs/ravens right now on my 60 and looks great to me!

How football looks on this TV entirely depends on how the Niners are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

Also, FYI, 1 of my M601d's(the first one I bought over a month ago), updated to firmware 1.08 last night. Now, I have app's a plenty. Remote still sucks......and, the app's full screen. Problem is; I want those App's to be divided by whether or not they are 3D.....but, you can't organize that way.

Have you tried clicking and holding on the app icons (fullscreen view)? It should give you the move option so you can put them in any order you like.
post #3720 of 9861 Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Here is a video I took of the pixel flickering on my 70". Does this look like it could be a cable issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwMnCDpq_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder if it might be the reciever... All inputs from the reviever have this issue, native TV does not

That's...definitely not normal. My 50" doesn't do that at all with any inputs.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page