post #3781 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigups5 View Post

I'm gonna hopefully buy the 70" in a few months, but based on what you've been reading on this forum and others, where is the best place to buy the set from? Don't care about a $50, $100 difference here or there, but in terms of great set quality, minimal issues, good packing and delivery, best warranty options, etc. Are the chances greater getting a better and newer manufactured set directly from Vizio's website? Do you think most customers are happy when they got their set from Amazon? Walmart? Sam's Club? Costco?

Just from my readings of the forum, Sam's Club seems to be a strong contender for good quality received so far. Am I right, or way off? Thanks, everyone.

I got my 55 from Sam's, no complaints. But if you have the option for Costco, I would go with them just based on the extra year warranty for free, but either club gets you 90 days to check it out & return if not satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How long is everyone breaking in their Set before they review it?

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #3783 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

I bought mine from Best Buy. Honestly, I'd go with somewhere that you can actually pick it up yourself. I cant say with 100% certainty that my issues with the previous TV I bought (LG LED from Newegg) were from UPS being rough with it in transit, but with the Vizio I was able to pick it up directly from Best Buy and have zero issues with it. I doubt I'd ever order a large television online again.

It's good you have control with picking it up from the store but you still have no control from the assembly point to the store. Further the TV gets from the assembly point the greater the chance for shenanigans.

Also, I thought UPS only delivers TVs up to a certain size (like perhaps 50 inches). Then at this point it's a trucking company who are just as likely to be rough with your TV. But some are better than others.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #3784 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

It's good you have control with picking it up from the store but you still have no control from the assembly point to the store. Further the TV gets from the assembly point the greater the chance for shenanigans.

Also, I thought UPS only delivers TVs up to a certain size (like perhaps 50 inches). Then at this point it's a trucking company who are just as likely to be rough with your TV. But some are better than others.

The LG I was having problems with was a 47". UPS delivered three, all of which were trash. The boxes were beat to crap and they all had some of the worst light bleed I have ever seen. I spoke with LG about it and they suggested it could've been the way UPS was transporting the television. They mentioned that at times they stack things on top of the TV, squishing the panel and inducing bleed. All I know is it literally looked like someone was behind the screen holding up a flashlight about four inches in diameter. Watching anything with remotely dark scenes was horrid.

Like I said, I'm not 100% certain it was them. It could've also been the way Newegg was storing them in their warehouse. After that whole headache though, I like picking my TV up from the store a lot more, it just eliminates one extra step where things could go wrong.
post #3785 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Picking up a TV is great in theory, until you want a 70" that comes in a huge box. I would have needed a moving van I think. tongue.gif. I ordered from Amazon and it was shipped be Ceva. Could also be Pilot though. I think it depends on where you are. Anyway the Ceva people I had were great. They unbox it, set it where you want it, connect it, and power it up to make sure it works. They also take the aforementioned giant box with them.

Ordering online wasn't my first choice either but after this I would do it again.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3786 of 9833 Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Liked: 18
Bought mine at best buy, drove a 2hr round trip, and glad I did. Just having that piece of mind knowing how your tv is handled makes a world of difference. For example, I accidently placed a soundbar order along with my tv, but the soundbar was shipped. So I just bought one in-store. The difference from the box I brought home to the one that shipped to me was night and day. Box was obviously beat up, tape on the bottom was about to tear off. That 2hr drive was WORTH EVERY BIT.
If you can find that clip of the fedex lady tossing boxes in the truck, you will be disgusted that your tv may suffer the same fate.
post #3787 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 AM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealsupra View Post

Hey guys. I have read all 125+ pages of this thread, clicked on most links throughout and looked at both an 80" model and a 60" model.

I have also read all 65+ pages of the Sony R550A thread.

I just cant make up my mind. Price is basically the same, they are $1 apart on Amazon (not counting my $100 for being Amazon prime member). Ive seen a bunch of great reviews for both models but Ive also seen some bad reviews for both models. They have very similar specs aside from the Vizio being 240hz and the Sony is 120hz.

I feel like Im leaning towards the Vizio but seeing as Ill be ordering from Amazon Id really like to get this right on the first shot.

I dont care about the remote issue as I wont be using the one provided anyway. Im interested in the 3D but its not a deal breaker for me either way, just a side bonus. Im looking at the 70" version of each model. Off angle viewing seems pretty similar with a slight edge to the Vizio from what I can see/read.

My main uses will be gaming, sports (big time hockey and football), and every day watching normal HD channels as well as bluray movies here and there. So I want little to no blurring with fast motion. Seems the Vizio is slightly better at this than the Sony.

Someone help me make a decision please!! Ill be upgrading my 42" LG LH90 that I absolutely love the picture but I really want something much bigger, hence the 70".

Also as a bonus question, has anyone ordered a big TV from Amazon? Do they deliver on Sundays?

Thanks for any help guys!

Ideal,

If you read all 125 pages of this thread, you have probably already read that I had the Sony 70R55A for about a month, but I returned it for my Vizio 70 incher. I simply wasn't as happy with the Sony as I am with the Vizio.

First, they both have an "effective" refresh rate of 240hz. They are both native 120hz, but with computer enhancing, that can be brought up to 240hz, depending on whether you turn Vizio's "smooth motion" or Sony's "motion flow" on or off. I have no idea why, but the Sony had problems with fast motion in both 120hz and 240hz. For example, when a golf shot is being tracked from the sky down to the green, you can see three golf balls on the Sony, in both modes. On the Vizio, this only happens when you turn the smooth motion on. It doesn't happen on every shot, but it was really disturbing to me on the Sony, since it was happening even with the motion flow off. Hockey and football look good on both sets. So does baseball and basketball. (I will issue this one caveat though. In my experience, how your TV handles sports is dependent on the source to some degree. I have noticed that some football channels here with Cincinnati Bell have better pictures than others. It is important to understand this so you don't blame a TV for what is really just a bad feed).

I can't comment on the 3D on the Sony, as I never tested that out, but it is fantastic on the Vizio.

Besides the issue with sports motion, the other issue that caused me to return the Sony was it's terrible off angle viewing. It washed out really bad when you got slightly off center. The off angle viewing on my Vizio is much, much better. I have to go greater than 45 degrees at a short distance to see a dramatic drop-off in picture quality. I have had my Vizio for over a month, and I am really happy with it, especially at this price point. I considered upgrading to the $3400 64inch Sammy plasma, but could not justify the price increase - or smaller screen. No, the TV is not perfect, but I don't think you can find a better TV over 65 inches at this price point. BTW, based on this thread, it seems like the 70 incher has fewer issues than some of the other screen sizes. No proof, just an observation. Good luck with your decision. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.
falconman515 and nhanstop like this.
post #3788 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 AM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigups5 View Post

I'm gonna hopefully buy the 70" in a few months, but based on what you've been reading on this forum and others, where is the best place to buy the set from? Don't care about a $50, $100 difference here or there, but in terms of great set quality, minimal issues, good packing and delivery, best warranty options, etc. Are the chances greater getting a better and newer manufactured set directly from Vizio's website? Do you think most customers are happy when they got their set from Amazon? Walmart? Sam's Club? Costco?

Just from my readings of the forum, Sam's Club seems to be a strong contender for good quality received so far. Am I right, or way off? Thanks, everyone.

I belong to both Sam's and Costco. At Costco, I returned a 70 inch Sony that I was not satisfied with. They were great, no hassles. I then bought my 70 inch Vizio at Costco as well. Prices were the same at both stores, but with the $99 SquareTrade warranty, my set is covered for a full five years, with in-house service.

BTW, I was able to fit the 70 inch in a Toyota Sienna minivan. Had to be tilted a bit but once it cleared the back, it stood straight up, no problem. Held it down with two tie-down straps.
post #3789 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 AM

Liked: 16
I have had 3 tvs, including my 70" delivered. The first two had no damage to the boxes but the latest had a hole punched through the side. Luckily it missed the panel but I am surprised how rough they are with these items. Fortunately the contents are packaged very well. I am having some LB issues but I seriously doubt it is the result of how the box was handled. My take is that it is an engineering issue. Having said that in a couple of months I am going to swap mine for a new one on the outside chance that this issue has been corrected. I originally had a 70" E series and the box is just a tad larger than the M series, it still fit (with no room to spare) lying down between the wheel wells in my Mazda CX5 which surprised me.
post #3790 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 AM

First post in a very long time, but after a week owning the M601d-AR thought I'd chime in. When my 16 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision finally started to show it's age by the screen slowly shrinking, I knew it was my excuse to finally get a flat screen. I knew that probably anything I bought would be a huge improvement, but none the less I started racking my brain a month ago reading everything I could and checking out all the stores. Read all the rave reviews about the Panasonic ST60 and was also considering the Samsung F7100. The wife even found the perfect piece of furniture on clearance to set it on, which was delivered 3 days before I made the final decision. That piece of furniture made me rule out spending almost two grand on the F7100, I also did not want the headaches of "breaking in" the Panasonic, and also have a very bright room with huge windows so ruled out the plasma. I kept reading more good things on the Vizio. Had a friend who bought the E601 and loved it. I wanted more features so kept looking at the M series. Went to Costco a couple of times and realized the picture was every bit a good as the F7100 sitting next to it, and there was not a $700 in picture quality. The price/value just could not be beat, and the extra year warranty Costco offered sealed the deal. Brought it home, hooked it up, and right out of the box my jaw hits the floor. The picture is beautiful and I have not made one adjustment, and honestly I see no reason to change any factory settings. During shark week the set made the ocean look like you could just dive into the screen. Needless to say I'm VERY satisfied with this unit. I may in the future play around with the calibrated settings, but right now I just can't imagine the picture being any better. My local cable provider is currently only sending out HD content via 1080i, so maybe one day it can be a little better. The only disappointment was finding out the optical out will not pass through DD 5.1. I confirmed this with Vizio tech support, and also read most HDTV's will not do this anyway. Since I use my AVR for sound it really wasn't a big deal, so hooked audio directly from HD DVR to AVR. I also ran the optical out from the TV to my AVR so I could get sound with any online content, but I guess the best I'll get is Dolby Pro Logic II. If there's something I don't know about this hook up then I'm all ears. To sum it up I'm VERY happy with this 60" beauty and the $1299.00 price I paid and would recommend it highly.
Thanks,
post #3791 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

@nhanstop count me among those who prefer my movie watching in the bastardized, ever-so-slightly blurry fashion

Yes. The smooth motion just takes the experience away. Once you notice it, it's hard not to keep looking for it(soe). I've even got dizzy once while watching something on my older sony and from then on I refuse to use that option, unless it's sports. Which I'm finally back to watching espn since the end of nba finals. That's a longass time, but HELL YEAH, NFL IS HERE.
post #3792 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 17
I had my 70" for about four days now and I swear it's already shrunk frown.gif

80" would be better but it's outta my range. Love the TV though !!
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #3793 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12
Just bought the 55" m series for $999 at Costco this weekend.

Ok this TV is absolutely beautiful to look at both in physical and visual presentation.

the 3D is just stunning, I tried both avatar and life of pi in 3D and both movies left me breathless. I thought there were parts where life of pi actually looked even better than avatar. my PS 3 did not recognize the 3d tv immediately because my old lcd was not 3D. so to remedy this problem, i had to turn off the PS3. and hold the power button to turn it on until i heard a beep. this caused the PS3 to reset itself and it immediately found the new 3d tv and had me go through some simple setup questions. after i did that, no problems with 3D blurays or games. btw, mortal kombat looks decent in 3D. you're not actually fighting in 3d, just the background is in 3D...

the pricing was awesome, $100 off, cant beat that. also the 2 year warranty from Costco is just awesome. I hope nothing happens, but you never know.

coming from an old Sceptre 46" to this I can definitely tell the difference. my cousin just moved into a new house and i gave him my lawn mower and the old sceptre as a house warming gift, so it gave me an excuse to go tv shopping this weekend.

OTA looks fantastic on this tv. I tried turning off smooth motion but I found that the lip sync was off so I put it back on medium and it went away. that's pretty weird, I thought for sure it would be the opposite. this tv found even more ota channels than my old sceptre, but honestly i just need the basics and all the other new channels were junk so i had the tv skip them.

have not tried any of the smart features yet, but I do plan on getting an android hdmi stick so the smart features don't really impress me.

I have no problems with the remote yet...fast and responsive...hope nothing turns up.

i did hook my alienware laptop to it and it immediately showed the tv at the proper resolution so i didn't have to do a thing to get that to work. picture looks great. played a little Diablo III on it and was blown away by just how good this game looks on a proper TV.

the factory setting had auto dimming off but as i was watching tv, it did auto dim so I set it to off again and then that did go away.

same with auto sound leveling, but i'm opting to keep that feature turned on for now. I will give it a go for a couple of weeks and see if that bothers me. if so, then i will turn it off. so far, it has not bothered me yet, but i probably will turn that off in the future knowing myself..

the glare is an issue during day time so i would not recommend this tv if glare is a big issue for you. personally i hardly notice it any more so no problem for me.

the only thing that drives me crazy is the viewing angle. i probably should've checked this more in store before i bought it, but oh well. i feel when you walk to the left or right of the tv, the picture immediate starts to degrade and dim. i don't know why i didn't notice this in store, but it is there at home. if you're right in front of it, then the picture looks stunning. however even my 7 year old 46" sceptre looks fantastic even at ~150 degrees off center, and yet this TV basically degrades even at 45% off center. Perhaps something in the default settings is causing this? can someone who has had this TV longer help me determine which setting i need to change to improve the viewing angle?

other than that, really awesome TV, but i would not recommend it just yet due to the viewing angle issue. If that gets fixed, then i would give it 4 thumbs up if i have 4 thumbs biggrin.gif

thanks!
backmeup likes this.
post #3794 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Fr8doggr-If you read all 125 pages of this thread, you have probably already read that I had the Sony 70R55A for about a month, but I returned it for my Vizio 70 incher. I simply wasn't as happy with the Sony as I am with the Vizio.

Think your review helped me over the ledge towards the vizio. Cause I actually considered the sony you mentioned. Less size, for more money. And I've been around sony products for at least 25 yrs. dad was a die hard sony tv guy.
post #3795 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon01 View Post

First post in a very long time, but after a week owning the M601d-AR thought I'd chime in. When my 16 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision finally started to show it age by it's screen slowly shrinking I new it was my excuse to finally get a flat screen. I knew that probably anything I bought would be a huge improvement, but none the less I started racking my brain a month ago reading everything I could and checking out all the stores. Read all the rave reviews about the Panasonic ST60 and was also considering the Samsung F7100. The wife even found the perfect piece of furniture on clearance to set it on, which was delivered 3 days before I made the final decision. That piece of furniture made me rule out spending almost two grand on the F7100, I also did not want the headaches of "breaking in" the Panasonic, and also have a very bright room with huge windows so ruled out the plasma. I kept reading more good things on the Vizio. Had a friend who bought the E601 and loved it. I wanted more features so kept looking at the M series. Went to Costco a couple of times and realized the picture was every bit a good as the F7100 sitting next to it, and there was not a $700 in picture quality. The price/value just could not be beat, and the extra year warranty Costco offered sealed the deal. Brought it home, hooked it up, and right out of the box my jaw hits the floor. The picture is beautiful and I have not made one adjustment, and honestly I see no reason to change any factory settings. During shark week the set made the ocean look like you could just dive into the screen. Needless to say I'm VERY satisfied with this unit. I may in the future play around with the calibrated settings, but right now I just can't imagine the picture being any better. My local cable provider is currently only sending out HD content via 1080i, so maybe one day it can be a little better. The only disappointment was finding out the optical out will not pass through DD 5.1. I confirmed this with Vizio tech support, and also read most HDTV's will not do this anyway. Since I use my AVR for sound it really wasn't a big deal, so hooked audio directly from HD DVR to AVR. I also ran the optical out from the TV to my AVR so I could get sound with any online content, but I guess the best I'll get is Dolby Pro Logic II. If there's something I don't know about this hook up then I'm all ears. To sum it up I'm VERY happy with this 60" beauty and the $1299.00 price I paid and would recommend it highly.
Thanks,

The 601D absolutely DOES pass DD5.1 through the optical output. I know, because I watch Netflix movies in 5.1 nearly every day. I believe I had to go into the menu and turn off the TV speakers to get it to work initially, but since then, it doesn't matter.
post #3796 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I don't see how anyone can watch the M series with smart dimming off. On my 55" and the one I exchanged the color black does not exists on this set with smart dimming off, just dark grey.

The last time I bought a TV before know was 8 years ago I have been surprise at how black levels seem to have taken a step back. My Samsung DLP had better black levels then my 55" M series.

Now, with smart dimming on black levels are great but you get the blooming or flashlighting during dark scenes. This is my biggest issue with the M series but, there's not another 55" passive 3D TV out there for the same price.

I might try getting a 65k light to put behind my TV. I've never done this before but I've read that it can improve the perceived black levels.

I have the 55" as well and I have my TV set two ways, Calibrated Dark, with Smart Dimming On and Calibrated with smart dimming off. I don't like the Smart Dimming in most situations because it can take a few seconds for the LED's to turn on when going from a dark to a bright screen. So, I used the CNET calibrations that used Smart Dimming and I tweeked them with Smart Dimming off to replicate the colors and black levels as close as possible. Those settings are below. I would give them a try. If you are watching a dark movie with bars in a completely black room, the blacks wont be as dark as with smart dimming on, but at least on my set, going through my yamaha reciever, they are incredibly close. I have noticed an improvement with the smart dimming with these new firmware updates, so I have once or twice switched to my Calibrated Dark setting with smart dimming on if the movie doesn't have deep enough blacks on the bars (I am no expert but I have noticed that black level is influence by the source. I've seen some commercials with very black bars and others with black bars closer to gray, so I believe the movie/source can also be influencing the black levels there). But for the most part, my tweeked setting with no smart dimming is great and I came from a Samsung Plasma.

Below are the settings I am using to duplicate the Cnet colors as close as possible, without using the SD. The blacks are not as black without it, but I believe its the perfect compromise to achieve the best color and closest black level without all the blooming and flashlighting at the corners that comes with SD. During the day or in a lit room, you wont likely be able to tell and even in a dark room with black bars present, its not too bad.

-Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated Dark
Backlight: 52
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 90
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 489
Green Gain: 460
Blue gain: 381
Red offset: 517
Green offset: 510
Blue offset: 515

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto

My Equipment: 55" Vizio Razor M-Series | Yamaha RX-V473 | Klipsch F3- Floorstands | Klipsch C-2 Center | Klipsch S-10 Surrounds | Playstation 3 | Uverse DVR Motorola VIP-1225 | Apple TV | Harmony Touch
post #3797 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 AM

I know it will not pass DD 5.1 from my HD DVR to TV via HDMI, and then optical out to my AVR while watching TV as I tried, so I hooked up audio directly to AVR from DVR and have no issues. Now having said that I also have the optical out from the TV to my AVR into another Optical in for online content. I haven't rented any movies online yet, so I'm hoping that will be the case for me as well. All I've done online is watch some YouTube content and a free trailer on VuDu, none of with seemed to be in DD 5.1, as my AVR always switches to "Dolby Digital" when that is available. I'm keeping my fingers crossed..................
post #3798 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotffl View Post

Just bought the 55" m series for $999 at Costco this weekend.

the only thing that drives me crazy is the viewing angle. i probably should've checked this more in store before i bought it, but oh well. i feel when you walk to the left or right of the tv, the picture immediate starts to degrade and dim. i don't know why i didn't notice this in store, but it is there at home. if you're right in front of it, then the picture looks stunning. however even my 7 year old 46" sceptre looks fantastic even at ~150 degrees off center, and yet this TV basically degrades even at 45% off center. Perhaps something in the default settings is causing this? can someone who has had this TV longer help me determine which setting i need to change to improve the viewing angle?

other than that, really awesome TV, but i would not recommend it just yet due to the viewing angle issue. If that gets fixed, then i would give it 4 thumbs up if i have 4 thumbs biggrin.gif

thanks!

I too have the 55" and I have noticed that the set dims when sitting at the sides as well, but mainly only in a darker room. Strangely, it wasn't very noticible to me when in 3D. I've watched Avatar a handful of times, showing it off to different sets of friends and family, and when I sit to the sides, its still as good. But when watching normal tv, or sports, which I watch a ton, I have noticed a slightly dimmer picture. However, I didn't think it was a drop off in quality enough to not recomend the TV. I dont have my TV mounted high, so its at eye level, so maybe that makes a difference. Again for me, its not too bad and its usually only noticiable to me in a dark room. Just my two cents for what its worth.

My Equipment: 55" Vizio Razor M-Series | Yamaha RX-V473 | Klipsch F3- Floorstands | Klipsch C-2 Center | Klipsch S-10 Surrounds | Playstation 3 | Uverse DVR Motorola VIP-1225 | Apple TV | Harmony Touch
post #3799 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon01 View Post

I know it will not pass DD 5.1 from my HD DVR to TV via HDMI, and then optical out to my AVR while watching TV as I tried, so I hooked up audio directly to AVR from DVR and have no issues. Now having said that I also have the optical out from the TV to my AVR into another Optical in for online content. I haven't rented any movies online yet, so I'm hoping that will be the case for me as well. All I've done online is watch some YouTube content and a free trailer on VuDu, none of with seemed to be in DD 5.1, as my AVR always switches to "Dolby Digital" when that is available. I'm keeping my fingers crossed..................
I believe the TV speakers have to be set to off and the "Digital audio out" setting should be set to "Bitstream" not "PCM". This should output 5.1, it does for me at least.
post #3800 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 AM

TV Speakers have always been turned off, but will try setting it to Bitstream, although I had tried both previously when neither would work. However thinking about it that was before I replaced the optical cable, which was the original problem of no sound coming out the optical out, so don't think I've tried Bitstream since then. After what Vizio tech support told me I just took their word it would not pass DD5.1 through. I'll give it a try tonight for sure.
Thanks,
post #3801 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardstatman View Post

I too have the 55" and I have noticed that the set dims when sitting at the sides as well, but mainly only in a darker room. Strangely, it wasn't very noticible to me when in 3D. I've watched Avatar a handful of times, showing it off to different sets of friends and family, and when I sit to the sides, its still as good. But when watching normal tv, or sports, which I watch a ton, I have noticed a slightly dimmer picture. However, I didn't think it was a drop off in quality enough to not recomend the TV. I dont have my TV mounted high, so its at eye level, so maybe that makes a difference. Again for me, its not too bad and its usually only noticiable to me in a dark room. Just my two cents for what its worth.

ok when im sitting off to the side im usually on my laptop and so normal ota tv is on. I will try it with a bluray and see if the dimming issue still exist. if not, then this issue is fixable, just need to mimic the video settings for my hdmi3 and my tv input source and we should be good to go. will report back later tonight.
post #3802 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

I believe the TV speakers have to be set to off and the "Digital audio out" setting should be set to "Bitstream" not "PCM". This should output 5.1, it does for me at least.

I just checked, and I am getting DD 5.1 both from the apps and also passed through the TV from my DVR. And, my TV speakers are on.
It won't work unless you have bitstream selected in your preferences.
post #3803 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just bought this remote and it works with our TVs. Its a lot more responsive. It controls my cable box and soundbar too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUG0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3804 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM

The 55" is $999 on amazon right now. I'm going to Best Buy to get a price match on my 55" cause I'm still within 15 day return period. woohoo !
backmeup likes this.
post #3805 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gepetto420 View Post

I just bought this remote and it works with our TVs. Its a lot more responsive. It controls my cable box and soundbar too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUG0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that same remote. I bought mine right after getting my Vizio. It's a great remote for the price. Only wish it was backlit.
post #3806 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

yea if it was backlit it would be epic
post #3807 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 19
I'm really enjoying my Vizio, but I decided to run another test: viewing angles.

These M series don't have a web browser built in, so I made an exact 1920x1080 screen capture of the viewing angle test from lagom.nl

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

I then saved the screenshot at maximum image quality in Photoshop jpeg. Our Vizio's do not recognize bmp, tif, or png, (what's up with that?).

I tested it on my computer monitor. I have one IPS and one VA (PVA) panel so I know what I'm looking for.

And here's the result on my M801d:

Here's the original file if you want to test this yourself. Note: do not right click the image to save. Click the download button to save the original un-scaled image.

https://picasaweb.google.com/derek790/VizioTV#5911291145337509746

Judging from the viewing angle, it appears to be a VA (MVA, PVA) type panel. Ironically, I think the 80 inch really needs an IPS panel since only a small portion of the screen is actually seen straight on.

I'm interested if other screen sizes have different screen types. Please post your results if so.
post #3808 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Hey do you guys get much light bleed in a completey dark room with smart dimming off during dark scenes. I dont really wanna have to leave smart dimming on because i think the picture looks better without it. I get some light bleed especially in the bottom right corner. It's not quite bad enough to irritate me but I know its there. Just trying to find out if this is normal with a lot of 'M' series. I have 5 days left to make up my mind if i want to keep this tv. Thanks. I have 55" btw.
post #3809 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

I just checked, and I am getting DD 5.1 both from the apps and also passed through the TV from my DVR. And, my TV speakers are on.
It won't work unless you have bitstream selected in your preferences.

I'll be switching the TV to Bitstream tonight then and hope mine works.
Thanks,
post #3810 of 9833 Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM

@tempest790

what am I supposed to be looking for when I have that image loaded up to test viewing angle on my tv?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page