Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Amazon is the real deal,Free ship no tax,and pampered delivery, The delivery people would have helped hang it for a tip, but we're happily broke again !  100 + pounds up on a wall of nirvana, Results = real bad back pains, so all i can do now is sit and watch ! The Larger M series are truly amazing,compared to a 1yr old LG  55"and 2 year old Samsung 64" Never been this happy being this broke, Get em and enjoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am returning my second 50" to best buy for the same issues, extream flash lighting from the right in dark movies and a white spot top right and bottom right corners. The floor model has the same issues. It is only on the 50"size, the 60" and above don't have it. Unfortunately, I can only go up to 50" so I will have to get the Samsung UN46F8000. Best buy will match the Internet price of $1420 vs their price of
$1999. To bad but Vizio does have a problem with this size only.
post #3873 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm going to be in the market for a new set this fall. I want at least a 65" to replace my 55" One thing that I definitely want is the glossy screen (which I have now). I feel the contrast and colors a much better. From what I've read the 65" is the only one that has the glossy screen. But I'm still waiting to see if they come out with the XVT model, which is what I have now, XVT554 3D. The viewing angle on this set is the best I have seen and hope the new one is as good.

Do any of the other large screens have the glossy screen?

Here are some screen shot taken at an angle with my current set. I'm not sure what type of screen this is but I do know it's an LG panel.

post #3874 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Okay guys I have just purchased the 50" model and now I'm ready to replace my old dinosaur first gen sony blu-ray player. I love the TV and I'm ready to maximize this thing and see what it can really do. i worked at circuit city for years , and now I'm so out of the loop on electronics its sad. How does 3D work? Obviously I know I have to buy a 3D capable blu-ray player, but do I also have to buy 3D movies or will it make my already owned movies 3d too? Also what is the best bang for the buck 3d capable player? I look forward to hearinfg back on some opinions!
post #3875 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
@atticus I can't offer much insight on a player as I just use a fairly inexpensive Samsung. You can do 2D to 3D conversion of regular blus, but it's nowhere near the level of a true 3D blu.

Also, know that if you run audio AND video through an AVR, you'll need one that's capable of handling 3D.
post #3876 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. Does the bluray itself do the conversion, or the tv? That may b dumb question but 3D is foreign to me. Any suggestions on 3D bluray movies?
post #3877 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM

@atticus some TVs offer conversion (my old Samsung plasma, for example) but the M series doesn't. I'd say you aren't missing much.

As far as movies: Avatar, of course. Life of Pi, Tangled, IMAX Under the Sea ... those are a few of my faves. Oh, and A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas has a lot of fun, cheesy pop-out effects if that's your bag.
post #3878 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Here is a video I took of the pixel flickering on my 70". Does this look like it could be a cable issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwMnCDpq_Y

I wonder if it might be the reciever... All inputs from the reviever have this issue, native TV does not

Well, I purchased a new HDMI cable and all is good with the picture, so it was something wrong with the cable. I have the guy coming today to help pull through the new cable through the wall again. Ugh!

EDIT: how do you embed videos here from youtube? is it possible?
mascus likes this.
post #3879 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Game mode looks exactly the same as the other modes, assuming you have your settings the same.

So what does Game Mode do that actually helps reduce lag then? What do you "lose" by going to game mode? I feel like I should probably leave it in game mode all the time just so performance is optimal
post #3880 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone heard any news about new firmware updates? Seems like we all have been sitting on the same updates since early summer. My 70" is supposed to arrive this weekend and I was really hoping they would get the WiFi update for the remote out by now.

BTW if any of you have Verizon Fios, I got the Verizon remote to work with the my son's 55" M series last night. Use code 424 and it will work the power, volume, and input selection which is about 90% of what you need day to day anyway. To update the remote, press and hold the OK and 0 buttons at the same time. Next, input the Vizio code which is 424, then press the channel changing button until your TV shuts off. Once the TV shuts off, press the OK button to store the info in the Verizon remote. You should now be able to use all the above mentioned buttons on your Verizon remote to control your M series TV. The Verizon remote works WAY better than the Vizio remote as far as reception and I can control the DVR and the TV all in one remote!
tender likes this.

Steve
post #3881 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Well, I'd put it this way: If you're a Mac house and you already have an AppleTV, the Chromecast is probably unnecessary. For everyone else, this does what the AppleTV does in a Windows environment. The biggest breakthrough will come when it can do full desktop/homescreen sharing with audio. Also remember that you can share from ANY device that's running Chrome with this.

I'm not saying it's the world's greatest device, but for $35 it's a pretty great value, especially for what's coming.

By the time Chromecast takes off and has all the cool features that are being promised now, the first gen unit will be obsolete, then you'll have to buy the Chromecast 2. I'm just saying its a little goofy to buy yet another device, that right now only has Netflix and a Browser, even if it only cost $40.
post #3882 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Has anyone looked at the M551D-A2R versus the LG 55LA6900 and chosen one over the other? The LG set is now priced about the same (on sale) as the Vizio. The 55LA6900 owners thread is pretty sparse at the moment.
post #3883 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM

where is your source that says vizio has a problem with the 50 inch? Looking the 50 inch on best buys site it has a 4.5 out of 5 with over 150 reviews.
post #3884 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post

where is your source that says vizio has a problem with the 50 inch? Looking the 50 inch on best buys site it has a 4.5 out of 5 with over 150 reviews.
What post are you responding to? It's always better if you quote the post before your response.
post #3885 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM

@jmbissell I tried two 56la6200s but they had awful clouding. I know it's a slightly different model than what you asked about, but still thought it worth mentioning. They both had very noticeable DSE as well.
post #3886 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 01:39 PM

After spending some time with my 70, I am overall very happy with the PQ, compared with the 65 I returned in exchange. There is VERY minimal Dirty Screen Effect, very limited blooming, and NO BANDING (which imo accounts for most of the DSE). I got my v1.08 FW upgrade after about 10 days, and am using mostly Game Mode for picture calibration.

I must admit I am constantly fiddling with the picture settings, trying to dial in one I can just leave alone, but I am coming to the realization that may never happen, because there is so much variation in PQ even within a single source (like cable). I have at least gotten to a pretty happy color/contrast setting that I like (although I am still tweaking the color gains and offsets to try to eliminate color push)- but I keep playing with the Auto Black and Smooth Motion levels, depending on the type of programming I am viewing. I personally have no use for Auto Brightness and Smart Dimming. I have to say that now that the DSE issues are gone, sports look phenomenal on this set!

I will post some pictures later, but I wonder if anyone else is seeing this phenomenon- when changing inputs, the menu overlays first appear completely washed-out, with no contrast, and sort of "fade in" (for lack of a better description) to the proper contrast. This also happens when I first access the cable program guide. The whole process takes only a few seconds, and I have not noticed this effect while watching anything- like going from a dark to a light scene. If I do see that, then I will worry that something is perhaps wrong with the signal processor in the TV, but if it confines itself to menu overlays, I am not too worried. Anyone else notice this effect?

Vizio M701D-A3 (Formerly M651D-A2) / Onkyo TX-SR606 / Sony PS3 / Comcast Motorola DCX3400 DVR / Harmony 720
post #3887 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbissell View Post

Has anyone looked at the M551D-A2R versus the LG 55LA6900 and chosen one over the other? The LG set is now priced about the same (on sale) as the Vizio. The 55LA6900 owners thread is pretty sparse at the moment.

Long story short, I ended up getting the LG 55LA6900 over the M551D-A2R, and I researched the heck out of the Vizio. I was a little concerned after getting it there wasn't a lot input on the LG owners thread. I guess that just means the Vizio is more popular than the LG. biggrin.gif.
post #3888 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machead47 View Post

I am returning my second 50" to best buy for the same issues, extream flash lighting from the right in dark movies and a white spot top right and bottom right corners. The floor model has the same issues. It is only on the 50"size, the 60" and above don't have it. Unfortunately, I can only go up to 50" so I will have to get the Samsung UN46F8000. Best buy will match the Internet price of $1420 vs their price of
$1999. To bad but Vizio does have a problem with this size only.

That's a pretty big accusation. Do you have any sources that say the 50 inch version is faulty? I think you have just had some bad luck. Best Buy has awesome reviews for the 50 inch m series I believe it is 4.5 out of 5 with over 100 reviews.
post #3889 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new TV for over two years, but nothing has caused me to pull that trigger until now. I picked up my 70 inch on Sunday from Costco. I have been out of town most of the week, but with the little time I have spent with the tv I am very impressed and pleased. My set has zero flashlighting, zero clouding, the apps are fast and responsive, remote works perfect and the smart dimming has zero issues. I was expecting to bring home a tv with some imperfections that I could have lived with, but I have zero. I'll mess with the WOW disc this weekend and report back. Great value for size and performance. This replaced a 61 Samsung dlp that broke 8 months ago. I've been living with a 50 inch tv since. It's nice to be back to a bigger tv.
post #3890 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemoon View Post

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on a new TV for over two years, but nothing has caused me to pull that trigger until now. I picked up my 70 inch on Sunday from Costco. I have been out of town most of the week, but with the little time I have spent with the tv I am very impressed and pleased. My set has zero flashlighting, zero clouding, the apps are fast and responsive, remote works perfect and the smart dimming has zero issues. I was expecting to bring home a tv with some imperfections that I could have lived with, but I have zero. I'll mess with the WOW disc this weekend and report back. Great value for size and performance. This replaced a 61 Samsung dlp that broke 8 months ago. I've been living with a 50 inch tv since. It's nice to be back to a bigger tv.

Congratulations on your new set! Don't forget to get the Squaretrade warranty from Costco. It gives you an additional three full years of in-home coveage for only $99. Also, take a look at the Vizio owner's thread for some additional info:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480388/official-vizio-m-series-razor-owners-survival-thread/60

geoffrsc and tothemoon like this.
post #3891 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parafly9 View Post

Well, I purchased a new HDMI cable and all is good with the picture, so it was something wrong with the cable. I have the guy coming today to help pull through the new cable through the wall again. Ugh!

EDIT: how do you embed videos here from youtube? is it possible?

Great to hear your problem was solved with a simple solution. I have seen some videos embedded here, not sure how it's done though. Now enjoy your new set.
post #3892 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I'm going to be in the market for a new set this fall. I want at least a 65" to replace my 55" One thing that I definitely want is the glossy screen (which I have now). I feel the contrast and colors a much better. From what I've read the 65" is the only one that has the glossy screen. But I'm still waiting to see if they come out with the XVT model, which is what I have now, XVT554 3D. The viewing angle on this set is the best I have seen and hope the new one is as good.

Do any of the other large screens have the glossy screen?

Here are some screen shot taken at an angle with my current set. I'm not sure what type of screen this is but I do know it's an LG panel

65" here. It is very glossy if that's what your looking for. But, pq is great. Viewing angles aren't as bad as bad as I thought. If you can post a link to that lagom test pattern, I can take pics of that and other various content you would like to see(via apps menu, directv, ps3, and appletv). Mind you, I have an iphone 5 as my camera. I'm not sure if it's an LG panel and don't know how would one find out that it is or not. Any other questions regarding my set I would be glad to answer them.
post #3893 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 04:31 PM

I see a lot of debate about the 50" inch being faulty, and I'd like to clarify that I love the set. There was some flashlighting in the bottom corner as stated by some of the folks on this thread.. I was extremely concerned with this until I figured out that the auto dimming feature took care of this. You can slightly see the backlight adjusting at some points, but it sure ain't worth spending hundreds of dollars more for something else. I'm extremely happy with this TV and I'd recommend it to anyone!
post #3894 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Amazing that its a $1600 jump for 10" from the 70" to the 80". I guess i'll stick with the 70" for now. Still not sure though because BB does not have a display to view.
How long are ya'll letting the panels burnin before calibrating them?

Agreed! Or, to put it another way and to really make the point...the 80 inch display is almost twice the price of the 70 inch display. INSANE! That made my decision VERY easy. I'm fortunate that I have the disposable income to be able to afford the 80 inch. That said, it just seemed impossible to justify it (in my mind), so the 70 inch gets delivered on Tuesday.
post #3895 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Has anyone with a 55" gotten the 1.08 update?
post #3896 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 06:32 PM

I have the 55" M set and just got firmware 1.06.8.1285 but I have no idea if this is the latest version.
post #3897 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAtticus View Post

I see a lot of debate about the 50" inch being faulty, and I'd like to clarify that I love the set. There was some flashlighting in the bottom corner as stated by some of the folks on this thread.. I was extremely concerned with this until I figured out that the auto dimming feature took care of this. You can slightly see the backlight adjusting at some points, but it sure ain't worth spending hundreds of dollars more for something else. I'm extremely happy with this TV and I'd recommend it to anyone!

Good to hear. I am definitely getting the 50 inch the first week of September. I have read nothing but great reviews, and I mean this is a forum so obviously people with problems are going to address them on here more than review sites. If it was that faulty a recall would have been made. And who know a simple firmware update could eliminate a lot of problems people might be having. Hopefully I get a set that had no issues, but from all the homework I've done Vizio had made the best TV for the money, and has even had better reviews than some tv's 1000 bucks more.
post #3898 of 9947 Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My 55" is 5 days old and still has firmware V1.06.2.015. Sure would like to try out the apps plus program!
post #3899 of 9947 Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Ordered the m801 from the Costco app yesterday with the $200 rebate. Still had my browser open to the Costco web page for this tv and see that the rebate is now $400.

We also grabbed a full motion mount for $75 after a $50 rebate.

Guess I'll call about that extra $200.
post #3900 of 9947 Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 AM

Can anyone who has the 50" check the the top border of their screen for a horizontal row of pixels that are lighter than the rest. It looks like the pattern retarder film was not aligned to fit flush with the top edge of the screen. I just need to know if this is normal on the 50" set or not. You can't see it on a black screen. Here is a picture.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page