Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
First ... 137  138  139 140  141  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
hauz20's Avatar hauz20 06:17 PM 08-27-2013
@bigange I'm the bluray guy. Sidenote on that: I also have to have the TV on game mode to completely eliminate SOE on blurays. I don't think I'm imagining it ...

In any case, do you have a console or other device with Netflix with which to compare?

lotohnz's Avatar lotohnz 08:23 PM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoned View Post

Off topic of coarse, care to share some of your sites?

Sure. Mostly APOD (check out the archive), but there are many other sites like the Hubble and Cassini sites, the NOAO image gallery, and all over the web during events like transits or eclipses.

Endless eye/mind candy. And it looks awesome streaming to the Vizio (see, back on topic again...) wink.gif
charlesshadel's Avatar charlesshadel 09:41 PM 08-27-2013
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2008 Panasonic 58pz700u to a Vizio m70.
Does anyone know how the pq will compare on the Vizio to the 58pz700u?
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 09:54 PM 08-27-2013
Lotohnz
Quote:
After reading these forums for years, I decided a couple things before I bought my set: first, pick up the tv instead of having it delivered (where I'm convinced most damage occurs during shipment), even if it meant renting a truck for an hour or two (small price against the investment in a large panel and having to return defective sets); and two, to try to buy early in the production run (when QC is probably the strongest).

Yes, i have to agree with you on that one. Even it took me a 2.5hr round trip to get it, it was well worth it. As you can never trust how these shipping companies will handle your tv. Plus if its in the 55"-80" range, one guy may not be enough to lug it along with other people's packages at various destinations. There was no way I would've attempted to lift my 65" into my vehicle at the store then into the house all on my own. Look up the "fedex employee", who just chucked boxes into the back of the truck while laughing about it. A real eye openner.

Back to the topic on hand. Yes it could be a fw issue, just based off his issues stated. But what if it was more than that? I'm just suggesting that for peace of mind, that's all.
PeterNincompoop's Avatar PeterNincompoop 10:15 PM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Auto brightness adjust the brightness by itself (the backlight I think mainly ... I turn down the back-light to a low 30 odd setting before turning on auto-brightness).

This was the ONE thing that made my TV bearable to watch and took away TONS of the Light Bleed ... I run this on High with with smart dimming off on all inputs .. smart dimming is horrible ... terrible blooming and overall degraded picture quality.

My TV was going back right after I bought it till I found the perfect settings and having auto-brightness on and set to high was what made it great and took away 80%+ percent of light bleed.

I still see it HORRIBLY when the TV starts and then it mostly goes away after all the settings kick in.

Gotcha! I'm trying to get a sense of all optimal settings before we get our M701 so I am aimed and ready. I was originally waiting for BestBuy to get them in by us to take advantage of the % interest financing but have now decided after visiting the new Costco here that I would be stupid to buy from anyone else. That warranty deal they offer thru Squaretrade is too good to pass up! I was able to see the 70 in person at the Costco and it looked amazing - I am now waiting for them to restock. I should have mine by late next week - I can't wait! In the meantime I have a new cabinet on its way for my gear and am looking for a good wall mount.

So are you still digging your 70? Whats your review now that you have lived with it for a while?
JetJock3315's Avatar JetJock3315 10:40 PM 08-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJock3315 View Post

-- Using IR Extender or Blaster

I am currently using my Harmony Ultimate in the Remote IR only mode to control my M70. It appears that neither the IR Blaster in the HUB nor any of the several types of IR emitters I have in my system will control the TV.

Only the Vizio and Ultimate remote pointed at the lower left corner will control it.

I also have a 10 port Xantech repeater and in wall sensor that works on everything else.

Even pointing the Vizio remote at the wall sensor and trying several different IR emitters (including ones with LED confirmation) placed in various locations on, near, around the lower left corner of the TV will make it function. Whereas the remotes used in those same locations work just fine.

I've not ever run into a device that didn't seem to work through a repeater.

I've seen numerous post about people successfully using Harmonies, but is anyone going through the Ultimate Hub or other IR repeater?

I had been enjoying the freedom of RF with the Harmony Ultimate, but now I am back to needing to have line of sight and good aim to control the TV. On top of that, the CEC functionality now forces volume control to initiate through the TV and not via the receiver.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was mistaken about the CEC/ARC volume having to initiate through the TV. But all the other issues about finding an IR emitter that can be picked up by the Vizio are still valid.

Has anyone had success with anything other than a handheld remote pointed at the lower left corner successfully commanding the TV?
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 12:52 AM 08-28-2013
Peternincompoop-
Quote:
In the meantime I have a new cabinet on its way for my gear and am looking for a good wall mount.

Here's the one I bought. Shout out to Capncrunch10 for the recommendation. It's a good mount that also tilts up/down 15° for making connections. Thought about an articulating arm mount, but glad I didn't because there is a chance the tv will not be level when pulled out. If you are installing this yourself, I'd suggest you use a finishing nail first, before you drill into the stud. As I ran into a metal plate that's protecting live wire. A mistake on my part as I had to mount one of the screws into drywall only and an extra useless hole in the wall.
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 01:05 AM 08-28-2013
JetJock3315-

I have the harmony smart control which includes the hub and an ir emitter. It works great from anywhere in the room. I also use the app on my phone, which is a good companion to the remote. Also for initial setup of activities. Used the pc for the finer details.
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 01:14 AM 08-28-2013
The Tophinator's Avatar The Tophinator 01:44 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJock3315 View Post

Has anyone had success with anything other than a handheld remote pointed at the lower left corner successfully commanding the TV?

I moved my IR emitter to the white plastic area behind the Power indicator LED under the TV (M70) and it seems to be working very well now. The IR receiver is just under the TV at the center of my AV cabinet. I would guess about 95% of the commands to the TV work while 100% work to the rest of my equipment inside the AV cabinet with their own emitters. It is a hard wired IR box with 8 ports.
PeterNincompoop's Avatar PeterNincompoop 02:36 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanstop View Post

Peter-
Oops. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UWXW0Y/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

Perfect - thanks bud!
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 05:52 AM 08-28-2013
Falconman515-

I tried your advice on the picture settings with SD- off, brightness low(20-30s), and auto brightness-high. In doing so, it introduced very noticeable lightbleed,flashlighting, and a reduction in the pop of color. There was a big difference from both settings. I'm assuming you are using Ursa99's settings? Or your own that I can try again with. I guess it's because of the size of my tv, as it fits in line with the 47, 55, 65" sets vs the 60,70, 80" versions. Yet, other owners with the m55 have used the suggested settings and it improved the issues. I'm not sure why, unless the m65 is on an island of its own. Which would be very unusual. Any m65 owners willing to chime in here? Post your settings if you don't mind.
BigAnge's Avatar BigAnge 07:21 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

@bigange I'm the bluray guy. Sidenote on that: I also have to have the TV on game mode to completely eliminate SOE on blurays. I don't think I'm imagining it ...

In any case, do you have a console or other device with Netflix with which to compare?

@hauz20 - Took your advice, plugged in the apple tv from the living room to test out superhd netflix -- all i can say is WOW, what a difference! Not only is the SOE completely eliminated, the picture in general is VASTLY improved. I used Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol as a test subject and the difference was night and day. I suspect that the built-in netflix app is only capable of streaming 720p (even if it lists it as superhd) because the seecond i plugged in the apple tv3 i noticed a significant increase in resolution, it felt like i finally was getting the pq i paid for. Nothing has looked better on this tv than the apple tv 3 (with smart dimming off, auto brightness on high, and color callibrated). BUT, also interestingly - when i switch to any other picture mode besides game, i get that slight SOE again -- kind of a pain, but i'm not complaining.

So bottom line, dont buy this tv for the apps - the shortcomings are endless -- an apple tv (and perhaps roku which i havent tried) really bring out the potential of this screen - in a dark room, streaming at 1080p, it really became a cinematic experience.

as a side note: for $120 the accompanying vizio soundbar (the lower model, without a subwoofer) is fantastic for small rooms. It's never past half full volume in my bedroom, gives me clear voices and plenty of bass - overall i'm extremely impressed at just how much home theatre $1000 total will get you.

ps - im probably preaching to the choir here, but if you are looking for good wall mounts, Monoprice has unbeatable prices and a new line of wall mounts that is certified by the Underwriters Laboratory which gives me greater piece of mind that the $100 Sanus rip-offs sold at Best Buy.

@hauz20 - thanks again for the tip, going to exclusively run content to this tv from my cable box and appletv3 going forward.
scarlow's Avatar scarlow 08:11 AM 08-28-2013
Well I took some good advice and returned my M551 for an exchange. Since I couldn't discern the firmware version from the sticker on the box, I looked at the serial number of the old unit vs those remaining on the shelf. All of the other units had significantly higher serial numbers. Not sure what scheme Vizio uses for numbering, but I took the highest I could find. Got the unit home, and was immediately satisfied. My original set shipped with v.1.2 firmware, while the new one had 1.6. Everything worked great, and I received an updated 1.6 firmware overnight. I now have full-screen apps and am very happy with the TV so far.

Thanks for the help.
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 09:23 AM 08-28-2013
Scarlow-

Good to hear that the exchange worked out. Great idea for checking serial numbers and good info for future buyers or owners. Now you can relax and enjoy the new set. Also let me know what settings you end up using. If you're looking into getting a squaretrade warranty, pm me, as I get discount codes like twice a week.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46 10:09 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:

Falconman515-

I tried your advice on the picture settings with SD- off, brightness low(20-30s), and auto brightness-high. In doing so, it introduced very noticeable lightbleed,flashlighting, and a reduction in the pop of color. There was a big difference from both settings. I'm assuming you are using Ursa99's settings? Or your own that I can try again with. I guess it's because of the size of my tv, as it fits in line with the 47, 55, 65" sets vs the 60,70, 80" versions. Yet, other owners with the m55 have used the suggested settings and it improved the issues. I'm not sure why, unless the m65 is on an island of its own. Which would be very unusual. Any m65 owners willing to chime in here? Post your settings if you don't mind.

I think Falcon said he keeps the" back light" set to the mid thirties not the "brightness"
hauz20's Avatar hauz20 10:20 AM 08-28-2013
@bigange I'm glad to have been of service. We use our gaming consoles to stream all our media. I'm jealous, though, since our ISP doesn't support super HD.
mascus's Avatar mascus 10:41 AM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsphan23 View Post

@masco did you notice if youe sons 55" has flashlighting while watching dark scenes on moview, tvs, etc? I'm just nervous that my replacement will show up tomorrow and have the same level of flashlighting

His 55" has some but to be honest, it is almost non-existant. We got lucky I guess. I have heard that the 55" is a gamble regarding panel quality, you just have to go for it and pray for the best and hope you get a good one. My M701 is a much better panel with virtually no flaws a all, but this is par for the course for the 70". They are less problematic. From what I am seeing in the forums and online reviews (and with my own eyes). the odd numbered panels (55, 47, 65, etc.) are the ones with more preceived panel problems than the even numbered panels (50, 60, 70, and 80). Just my observation.
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 06:10 PM 08-28-2013
Quote:
I think Falcon said he keeps the" back light" set to the mid thirties not the "brightness

Edit: Backlight-20-30s, Auto brightness-High, Smart Dimming-Off.
Don't know what my Brightness setting should be. Since it was already at 50(default). I moved it up and down which did not help. I also started with the ambient light in a completely dark room, then turned on all the lights. Nothing. Let me know what your settings are, so I can try them out. Thanks
VintageBullet's Avatar VintageBullet 08:13 PM 08-28-2013
Hey guys, happy to announce I pulled the trigger on the M601D-A3R and I got it all setup. Just curious if anyone has the links handy to the Movie calibration settings and if anyone has the link to the Video Game calibration settings ? If not no big deal I'll look through the thread and see if I can find them.

So excited right now.

Update: Video games are AMAZING on this TV.
venus933's Avatar venus933 08:58 PM 08-28-2013
I just saw a video review of the Samsung F6400 by Ty Pendlebury from cnet. He says its PQ is "not competitive" with the "M" series. Strong words!

Sorry, I don't have a link, I saw the video podcast from my Apple TV but the written review should be posted tomorrow. I'm thinking references to the "M" series will be favorable. That is towards the Vizio and not the Samsung.
ronh36's Avatar ronh36 09:27 PM 08-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronh36 View Post

Update:

Just got off the phone with Vizio tech support and they are sending me a new remote. They don’t normally consider battery life to be a technical support issue but they are replacing mine as a courtesy. The person I talked to also told me that if you hold down “enter” (lower left on remote) and “fast forward” (upper right on the remote) for 12 seconds it will turn off wi-fi broadcast, and you need to do that whenever you put new batteries in. I told the tech support person about my spectrum analyzer measurement, but he said the button technique should work. I’ll try it when I have time.

Update:

Got the new remote from Vizio. The first thing I did was to put new batteries in and make sure it worked (it did.) Then I checked current draw for a precision 30.0 ohm 2 watt resistor at 3.00 volts with a system DMM… 100.0 mA. Next I checked current draw on the new remote at 3.00 volts… it bounced around between 75 – 90 mA. I tried holding down the “enter” and “fast forward” keys like Vizio tech support suggested for well over 12 seconds while watching 3V current, no change. Disappointing.

So it looks like I have two remotes in a row that will burn through batteries in a week or so. My solution so far has been to leave the batteries out until I want to change settings (which isn’t very often) and turn my M701d on and off with a Comcast remote. Maybe I could kludge a switch for the Vizio remote… I’m thinking I could attach thin metal plates to a thin insulator and put it between one of the batteries and a terminal with wires to a switch I could attach to the outside of the remote. I could even solder an LED with a dropping resistor to let me know when the switch is on, like a 2V LED at 5 mA or so. If I do that I’ll post a photo.
godfatherx360's Avatar godfatherx360 01:48 AM 08-29-2013
got my m60 about 9 days ago, so far im extremely impressed with the picture especially the black levels. Very little light bleeding, however at the very top left corner there is a spot where it appears to be light bleed, but it isnt just normal white light, on a white screen it has a blue-ish tint to it, im trying to ignore it and be happy with the set (especially after the LG debacle i had last year where my wife had to be home to for the crappy deliver service amazon uses for 2 bad sets).

With that said has anyone here had any experience with the e60? since I have no desire for 3d and will only be using this set for gaming I really just want the best picture available for the price. I havent really researched the e60 that much, and my return window at best buy for this set is only 15 days.
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 02:33 AM 08-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBullet View Post

Hey guys, happy to announce I pulled the trigger on the M601D-A3R and I got it all setup. Just curious if anyone has the links handy to the Movie calibration settings and if anyone has the link to the Video Game calibration settings ? If not no big deal I'll look through the thread and see if I can find them.

Here ya go man. Most of the settings for your set will be here. As the M-series has the ability to have certain settings for each input, just go to that input and set it as it will be saved.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2490
nhanstop's Avatar nhanstop 02:38 AM 08-29-2013
My soundbar has 3 hdmi inputs which fulfills my main needs. So hdmi input 1 on the tv is the only one used at the moment. I have extra hdmi cables in the wall that are readily available for further connections.
VintageBullet's Avatar VintageBullet 10:02 AM 08-29-2013
Quote:

Here ya go man. Most of the settings for your set will be here. As the M-series has the ability to have certain settings for each input, just go to that input and set it as it will be saved.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2490

Thanks a bunch smile.gif I'll try these and compare it to what I currently have. Just running movies in Vivid and for consoles I'm in Game Mode and turned sharpness and color up quite a bit. So far gaming has been bliss on my M601D-A3R. No ghosting from what I could tell and no input lag what so ever while testing CoD since that game is at 60fps.

Side note: Am I the only person who turns off Smooth motion on everything ? For some reason it just feels unnatural and looks like things are in a minor fast forward. Other then that I freaking love this TV.
JetJock3315's Avatar JetJock3315 10:46 AM 08-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tophinator View Post

I moved my IR emitter to the white plastic area behind the Power indicator LED under the TV (M70) and it seems to be working very well now. The IR receiver is just under the TV at the center of my AV cabinet. I would guess about 95% of the commands to the TV work while 100% work to the rest of my equipment inside the AV cabinet with their own emitters. It is a hard wired IR box with 8 ports.

That did the trick!

I was focusing on the face of the screen, who would have thought that I would get better IR reception coming from below!

Works like a champ through the Harmony Ultimate now!
BigAnge's Avatar BigAnge 11:18 AM 08-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBullet View Post

Thanks a bunch smile.gif I'll try these and compare it to what I currently have. Just running movies in Vivid and for consoles I'm in Game Mode and turned sharpness and color up quite a bit. So far gaming has been bliss on my M601D-A3R. No ghosting from what I could tell and no input lag what so ever while testing CoD since that game is at 60fps.

Side note: Am I the only person who turns off Smooth motion on everything ? For some reason it just feels unnatural and looks like things are in a minor fast forward. Other then that I freaking love this TV.

@VintageBullet you are not alone! I turn off smooth motion on EVERYTHING, and guess what, i still see traces of it when i use the built-in apps (i think it's baked in to the apps' video processing). I couldn't agree more about loving this TV, but unfortunately it seems to really perform best when displaying media from HDMI sources (esp. apple tv3 which still really blows me away).

A side note about the Vivid setting - I don't know how many of you use this TV to watch baseball, but it's on a Yankee game every night at my house and for the life of me, it is the hardest type of content to get correct. Believe it or not, Vivid with smooth motion on High and Smart Dimming off (auto brightness on high) is the closest i've come to baseball perfection. Obviously, it's the type of content with ALOT of green filling up the screen, and I notice with the color callibration settings (both CNET's and the other one that posted on here) there is a pretty severe green push when watching baseball (bleeding over into the skin tones and even tinting the white part of the on screen graphics), it's really noticeable when switching between modes, so i went back to the factory vivid setting and am having much better results.

HOWEVER, baseball, and only baseball, is where i see traces of ghosting. IE when someone hits a line drive and the camera pans quickly across the green field i see bars and blotches across the field. It's a minor complaint in an otherwise excellent display - just wondering - does anyone have settings they particularly like for watching baseball (or soccer, or football for that matter)???

I still have a 4 year old Vizio 37" LCD that I use to compare - and the consistent differences i notice are, while the LCD is in a sense 'brighter' and more 'vivid' the edges are much more jagged and the M series gives me a whole new world of detail, im seeing faces in the crowd at yankee stadium that were just jagged blurry blotches on the LCD. The other difference is the matte screen, at first I thought I liked the LCD's matte finish a lot more, but after having the M series for a little over two weeks, I much prefer the semi gloss finish of the M-series, again because of the detail it affords.

Really, the concept i've come to realize is that with the old Vizio LCD, i I know it's limitations and therefore dont mess with the settings trying to achieve "perfection" -- I know I'll get a pretty good picture out of any source I put into it (esp because there is no Smooth Motion to contend with on older LCD sets) and in that sense it is more "hassle-free", but with the M-series I realize how much more is possible and I want to get it as close to perfect as possible, which can be a frustrating but ultimately rewarding process.

Bottom Line: I've gone back and forth about returning this set since I bought it - do i return and spend the extra money for a Panasonic ST60? I've literally gone as far as packing up the tv, but I always change my mind - and once i plugged in an appletv3 my mind was made for good - this tv is a miracle if you have a good set and the patience to properly configure it.

Thanks!
netkrazed's Avatar netkrazed 11:57 AM 08-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

At the risk of blowing ANY credibility I may have garnered I felt the need to post these new settings for my M601D-A3. I found that my prior two were totally dependent on the picture settings and in those instances I chose 50% for each of them. For these I dialed in what I liked for picture settings and then did the calibration. These settings which are quite different from what I posted previously look quite good regarding skin tones which is my barometer for proper color calibration....I may boost the color setting a bit, otherwise I think this is it....
I posted this knowing I may have disappointed a lot of people but I also felt it was the right thing to do.

-Ursa

Ursa, are these the settings you are utilizing now?
netkrazed's Avatar netkrazed 12:05 PM 08-29-2013
Been a while since I posted. Anywho, I had bad corner bleeds and flowering/blossomimg/flashlighting on my M80. I tweeked as much as could out, but with this in a cave...no windows or outside light at all, I still could not remove them. So yweterday i returned the original ro costco and picked up another. The difference was first set was unboxed to fit in an SUV, this time I used a truck, so no unboxing at store. What an drastic change! Either i messed the panel up in route or it was a QA issue.

So the new set rocks! No blooming/flaslighting/flowering and corner bleeds. Blacks and color look amazing. Thouht the first panel blew my mind, but this one is making it explod!
Tags: sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
First ... 137  138  139 140  141  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop