Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

falconman515's Avatar falconman515
04:06 PM Liked: 92
post #4501 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanstop View Post

In my case they are right. When I did what everyone suggested, the exact opposite happens. Terrible light bleed, flash-lighting, blooming, etc. Just weird. But can't complain as it looks exactly how I want it.

You are right ... smart dimming does fix most all of that except for the blooming ... that only occurs when the smart dimming is on ... when off no blooming occurs on this TV.

I have found great settings that almost do away with light bleed, flashlighting etc. without having the smart dimming on cause I hate the way the blooming looks with that junk setting on ... it just looks to weird when there are black on the sides with images in the middle and you see the blooming light passing through the black to illuminate the picture in the middle of the screen.

Smrt Dimming is just a junk setting .... and let's not confuse Smart dimming with " Local Dimming" .... two different things ... and smart dimming is horrible as compared to Local Dimming ... local dimming is rear-array panels .... they have clusters of LED actually placed behind the picture and not on the edges ... not THAT is what Dimming is suppose to be ... just like my 3 or so year old Vizio XVT with Local Dimming AMAZING picture and picture perfect local dimming. These slim flat edge-lit cheap panels they have now are pointless to have any kind of dimming.
04:14 PM Liked: 92
post #4502 of 10078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

As I posted and a few people responded.

Local dimming Off
Smooth motion off
3D rarely use (admit it)
TruMotion Off.
240hz. Is faked (we hope its a real 120hz panel) but no concrete proof

If most people Turn all these and more features off. Then why just get a 120hz LED LCD that's Back-lit. Because most of the complaints come from slim Edge-lit
Units I hear constant complaints of banding, flash lighting,

I never hear anyone say I really wish my TV was thinner

I would be GLAD to buy one a rear array LED TV with local dimming!!!

If you know of one thats in the same price range and size as this M-series we would be glad to know! LOL

That technology has no seemed to move to the CrAzY expensive televisions ... it cost way more produce a rear-array LED TV with Local Dimming.

I would Absolutely LOVE to have a 70" rear array with 3D and Local dimming for under 3K .... it just doesn't exist.

And if you are talking about a TV that is just back-lit and not edgelit that has no local dimming or other features they really don't exist.

Vizio actually sells a cheap 65" thats back-lit but has no bells ans whistles and is basically just a plain LED TV ... most people here are looking for more then the cheap standard LED TV's they had out years ago.

And even if you are they literally just don't make many back-lit TV's anymore .... seems 95% of TV's being made now are ALL Edge-Lit LED .... they are A LOT Cheaper to make and they have the slim selling point that most non AVS type users think is "Cool" ... and as well all know here edge-lit is just simply Pure $hit !!!

I sure hope they pull their heads out of their ass and start making affordable large sized rear-array LED with true Local Dimming again .... once they do that we will not have these massive threads with tons of issues .... those type TV's are just stellar .... thats why the ones that have that technology now are like $4-5K Plus.
SonofArathorn's Avatar SonofArathorn
05:11 PM Liked: 12
post #4503 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 16
My 70" should be here tomorrow or Wednesday! The settings posted earlier in the thread, are they for 2D and 3D both? I've heard the smoothing feature benefits the 3D presentation.
Str8fan's Avatar Str8fan
05:23 PM Liked: 10
post #4504 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post

@str8fan I had two 55" la6200s that got returned due to awful clouding and light bleed. On that front, my Vizio is excellent. I just have a bit of banding.
Thanks man
hipcanuck's Avatar hipcanuck
06:09 PM Liked: 11
post #4505 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 5
Hey boys and girls, firstly I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread. I was about to pull the trigger on a Sammy, having bought into the old "Vizio can't do anything good over a 40" screen" stuff that's been floating around for pretty much EVER, but now I've narrowed my new TV purchase down to either the M or E series 60".

I really don't have any reservations left about going with Vizio, so my question is - I think - a simple one. Is the M series that much of a better set to justify the extra $500 bills? I could take or leave 3D - I have to admit that if I'm being honest. But, the M seems to have a beefier engine and most of my watching will be sports, hockey in particular, with a lot of PS 3/4 (when available) gaming.

So, with that in mind, gut reaction is telling me the E, but I'd like to know if any of you think I'm doing myself a disservice by maybe passing on the M just because I don't care about 3D. Any and all feedback welcome - come hell or high water, on way or the other, my wallet's gonna be lighter this weekend. wink.gif
myoda's Avatar myoda
06:25 PM Liked: 53
post #4506 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedijacob View Post

I'm currently using a 55" Samsung (UN55C6500VFXZA).

Go for the 70 inch - upgrading from 55 to 60 is a slight, incremental upgrade in screen size. I started with a 51 inch Sony, then a 65 inch DLP, and now a 70 inch LED. Check this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474309/were-at-a-12-foot-seating-distance-what-would-represent-a-visibly-impactful-difference-from-a-50/90#post_23433256

Hope this helps. Good luck!
brodie301's Avatar brodie301
06:48 PM Liked: 13
post #4507 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8fan View Post

How would this model compare to the LG LA6200?

But if you look on the LA6200 thread there are some people that had this M-Series that eventually went LG
Katana Man's Avatar Katana Man
07:05 PM Liked: 10
post #4508 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 35
My M501d-AR2 plays YouTube 3D trailers fine, but not 3D side-by-side movie files via a USB thumb drive. What am I doing wrong?
Both methods appear to display similar content. With the movie files, I can select 3D SBS and it appears to be overlaying the 2 images correctly, but when I put the glasses on, the image looks exactly the same (with or without glasses) and definitely not 3D. I have firmware 1.0.6
CleCakYngMfd's Avatar CleCakYngMfd
07:41 PM Liked: 24
post #4509 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 346

The latest revision of the You Tube app is goofy.  I cannot scroll to the right on each video search result.  I have to navigate up then down then to the right for each video result after searching.  Once a result is highlighted, the new search phrase feature that is located below the search box gets highlighted, thus I must do the above mentioned procedure.  :(

Anyone else notice this?

M401i-A3

steve1022's Avatar steve1022
07:45 PM Liked: 33
post #4510 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 610
Quote:

So, uh, anyone have an opinion on transporting a 60" on its side? This would only be a 20-minute trip.

I've transported a couple TV's including my M601D laying flat and never had a problem so you are good to go.
ursa99's Avatar ursa99
08:38 PM Liked: 78
post #4511 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

Can someone answer me this since we all purchased a Local dimming 240hz LED LCD 3D blah blah blah. I see the Calibrated settings or reference setting that have been posted. And calling into question f this is really a 120hz Panel or a 240hz Panel, If a 240hz true panel even exists probably not being used on any TV's on sale. My question is Why do we turn all the features off? Motion Smoothing OFF, Local Dimming Off True Motion OFF. Whats the point ? Why not buy a 60z LED without 3D and without local dimming and be happy with that ?
Use the RGB settings I posted for accurate color and then use whatever other settings you want. I've changed mine a bit since I posted. To each his own. Smooth motion creates a Soap Opera Effect on some programs and as a result some folks don't care for it...some do. Local dimming is the same, some folks turn it off, some don't. If you want full 240 HZ refresh all the time set your picture to Game and turn smoooth motion on. You won't get a Soap Opera Effect that way.
Yes, it's really a native 120HZ panel. You will always get 120HZ refresh rate unless you turn on smooth motion...

Ursa.
Ice Cold's Avatar Ice Cold
09:11 PM Liked: 12
post #4512 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 796
I guess there's no point in my complaining. I miss the Sony Triluminous RGB LED sets from a few years ago with full array local dimming. Heck my Dell Laptop is RGB LED and it looks amazing given that its only a 17 inch glossy display made by LG for DELL at 1920x1200 short of a Apple retina display they have not released a better laptop display.

I guess the Mseries is sufficient to hold me over a few years. Til OLED 4k HDMI 2.0 sets roll around Might wait for HDMI 2.1 so we can have 3D 4k
DoctorVideo's Avatar DoctorVideo
09:23 PM Liked: 18
post #4513 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

The latest revision of the You Tube app is goofy.  I cannot scroll to the right on each video search result.  I have to navigate up then down then to the right for each video result after searching.  Once a result is highlighted, the new search phrase feature that is located below the search box gets highlighted, thus I must do the above mentioned procedure.  frown.gif

Anyone else notice this?

M401i-A3

YouTube works ok for me.....when it works. Oftentimes, when I select the YouTube App, the TV crashes, and I have to unplug the set and plug it back in to get it working again.

M601
steve1022's Avatar steve1022
09:39 PM Liked: 33
post #4514 of 10078
09-16-2013 | Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

YouTube works ok for me.....when it works. Oftentimes, when I select the YouTube App, the TV crashes, and I have to unplug the set and plug it back in to get it working again.

M601

Same here
11:43 PM Liked: 92
post #4515 of 10078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcanuck View Post

Hey boys and girls, firstly I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread. I was about to pull the trigger on a Sammy, having bought into the old "Vizio can't do anything good over a 40" screen" stuff that's been floating around for pretty much EVER, but now I've narrowed my new TV purchase down to either the M or E series 60".

I really don't have any reservations left about going with Vizio, so my question is - I think - a simple one. Is the M series that much of a better set to justify the extra $500 bills? I could take or leave 3D - I have to admit that if I'm being honest. But, the M seems to have a beefier engine and most of my watching will be sports, hockey in particular, with a lot of PS 3/4 (when available) gaming.

So, with that in mind, gut reaction is telling me the E, but I'd like to know if any of you think I'm doing myself a disservice by maybe passing on the M just because I don't care about 3D. Any and all feedback welcome - come hell or high water, on way or the other, my wallet's gonna be lighter this weekend. wink.gif

I've had both the 70" E-Series and 70" M-Series .... Simple Answer ....

YES, it is worth the extra cost !!!

Even if 3D is no biggie the picture quality, clarity, colors and everything about it is Far better then what the E-Series line-up has to offer.

But that being said the E-Series Vizio was still a stellar looking TV with great PQ and I was satisfied with it till the M-Series came out ... of course I wanted a better quality panel and unlike yourself 3D is is cool to me and it looks stunning on this TV.

If you want very nice good quality TV then the E is just fine ... if you want superior picture with better clarity and colors then the M is the way to go an IMHO VERY worth the extra cost (and trust me you say 3D is nothing you care for .. I was kinda thinking I may not either and my wife could give 2 $h!ts about it ... I love it and she wants to watch any movie that is is in 3D over the regular version now ... and that says something cause she is the type who can normally care less).

The only thing I liked about the E series over the M series is the E has less light bleed and the screen was a little more matte and not as glossy (the m-series is kinda a semi-gloss screen ... not bad at all but you can see reflections a lot more then you can in the E) .... but as we all know the gloss adds to the PQ, clarity and colors ... so the M-series is nice in between perfect combo of semi-gloss for the PQ addition but not like a gloss plasma (or the 65" version of the M cause that is Crazy gloss) would be.

If you have the money to spare ... For Sure go with the M .... if not you still will be satisfied with the E for the price!
lotohnz's Avatar lotohnz
12:17 AM Liked: 48
post #4516 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Smrt Dimming is just a junk setting .... and let's not confuse Smart dimming with " Local Dimming" .... two different things ... and smart dimming is horrible as compared to Local Dimming ... local dimming is rear-array panels .... they have clusters of LED actually placed behind the picture and not on the edges ... not THAT is what Dimming is suppose to be ... just like my 3 or so year old Vizio XVT with Local Dimming AMAZING picture and picture perfect local dimming. These slim flat edge-lit cheap panels they have now are pointless to have any kind of dimming.

I agree that affordable local dimming would be the best, but I disagree that smart dimming is a "junk setting". I use it, and prefer the consistent improvement in contrast in exchange for the occasional flashlighting on center lit objects. But to each his own, that's why it's an "option" in the "preference" panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

Use the RGB settings I posted for accurate color and then use whatever other settings you want. I've changed mine a bit since I posted. To each his own. Smooth motion creates a Soap Opera Effect on some programs and as a result some folks don't care for it...some do. Local dimming is the same, some folks turn it off, some don't. If you want full 240 HZ refresh all the time set your picture to Game and turn smoooth motion on. You won't get a Soap Opera Effect that way.
Yes, it's really a native 120HZ panel. You will always get 120HZ refresh rate unless you turn on smooth motion...

Ursa.

Really Ursa? This is the first time I've read this. I know that "game" mode disables most processing, but I didn't realize that the refresh rate could still be increased with smooth motion. But now that I think about it, it makes sense , or 3D wouldn't work in "game" mode, because I'm pretty sure it needs a 240hz refresh rate to work (which also explains why smooth motion is on in 3D mode). Great stuff.

Quote:

M601

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Same here

Same here.
RexHarrison's Avatar RexHarrison
03:40 AM Liked: 66
post #4517 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

I would be GLAD to buy one a rear array LED TV with local dimming!!!

If you know of one thats in the same price range and size as this M-series we would be glad to know! LOL

That technology has no seemed to move to the CrAzY expensive televisions ... it cost way more produce a rear-array LED TV with Local Dimming.

I would Absolutely LOVE to have a 70" rear array with 3D and Local dimming for under 3K .... it just doesn't exist.

And if you are talking about a TV that is just back-lit and not edgelit that has no local dimming or other features they really don't exist.

Vizio actually sells a cheap 65" thats back-lit but has no bells ans whistles and is basically just a plain LED TV ... most people here are looking for more then the cheap standard LED TV's they had out years ago.

And even if you are they literally just don't make many back-lit TV's anymore .... seems 95% of TV's being made now are ALL Edge-Lit LED .... they are A LOT Cheaper to make and they have the slim selling point that most non AVS type users think is "Cool" ... and as well all know here edge-lit is just simply Pure $hit !!!

I sure hope they pull their heads out of their ass and start making affordable large sized rear-array LED with true Local Dimming again .... once they do that we will not have these massive threads with tons of issues .... those type TV's are just stellar .... thats why the ones that have that technology now are like $4-5K Plus.

There are no full array backlit TV's (let alone with local dimming) in production for 2013. The last one I saw was a 2012 model.

I completely agree with what you're saying though. I don't give a damn how thin my TV is, I don't watch the thing from the side. All I care about is PQ, and unfortunately PQ has taken backseat to all the B.S. money grab features. Smart TV is a joke. In 3 years your "Smart TV" will be obsolete. It'll be so damn slow compared to everything else on the market it'll make you sick. They keep trying to go thinner like it makes a damn difference. If I had a choice between a TV that was 4 inches thick that had beautiful PQ with no glaring issues vs. the 1 inch thick crap we have today, I'd go 4inch no question. I think most of you guys would too.
Ice Cold's Avatar Ice Cold
06:12 AM Liked: 12
post #4518 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

There are no full array backlit TV's (let alone with local dimming) in production for 2013. The last one I saw was a 2012 model.

I completely agree with what you're saying though. I don't give a damn how thin my TV is, I don't watch the thing from the side. All I care about is PQ, and unfortunately PQ has taken backseat to all the B.S. money grab features. Smart TV is a joke. In 3 years your "Smart TV" will be obsolete. It'll be so damn slow compared to everything else on the market it'll make you sick. They keep trying to go thinner like it makes a damn difference. If I had a choice between a TV that was 4 inches thick that had beautiful PQ with no glaring issues vs. the 1 inch thick crap we have today, I'd go 4inch no question. I think most of you guys would too.

Agreed CNET Reviews Spend more than half the time talking about Smart TV features and that a TV lacks Amazon Instant. But they rarely mention Dark room clouding or flashlighting, Or how its dissappointing whether or not a particular TV being reviews is because it lacks a web browser but slam every TV that has web browsers because they are terrible.

All these Smart features a re just a distraction PQ has gone down possibly for 2013 except for the M Series which is a Star. When CNET said they can only reccomend a SONY for Double the Price for better PQ I was sold.

Back on topic of the Distraction with Smart features, look at the next 5 years + 4K is high end now you can get a Seiki 4K 50" for $1100 slowly 2 years from now you can get a good size SONY Samsung or LG 4k TV for $2,500 give or take, What really needs to happen an it won't because thats End Game is a 4K OLED TV for an affordable price lets say 50 inch $2,000 or less.

Then they will come out with Super OLED, like Samsung did on cellphones, they have OLED, Super AMOLED, Super AMOLED Plus.
09:11 AM Liked: 18
post #4519 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

Ursa.

This is really interesting, Ursa. Would you mind going into more detail how you arrived at this conclusion, since the manual has very little to say on the subject? What about Computer Mode? What is going on there?
hauz20's Avatar hauz20
09:21 AM Liked: 23
post #4520 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 128
Ursa probably used some technical wizardry to deduce that. I just noticed I always got some SOE in any mode other than "Game," even with smooth motion always turned off.

Needless to say, my TV is always in game mode.
BigAnge's Avatar BigAnge
09:44 AM Liked: 10
post #4521 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 12
in case anyone is interested, i did some more audio tests with my M501 and Vizio 2.0 sound bar:

1). With two sources (Cable Box & Apple TV) going into the TV through HDMI 1 and 2, and audio fed through Toslink from the TV to the Soundbar - no matter what combination of settings (on all devices) including Dolby on/off, bitstream vs PCM, etc there is ALWAYS going to be some lip sync issues (the lip sync adjust feature on the M501 does nothing but make it worse), it seems like the TV's sound processor just cannot keep up with the picture.

2). Keeping the same setup, but replacing the Toslink with a standard RCA from TV to sound bar - it only makes things worse, much much worse.

3). HDMI from cable box to TV and Toslink from Cable Box directly to Sound Bar - VOILA! Perfection - and real Dolby Digital! Holy Crap, i couldnt believe the difference in sound quality, it really brought the sound bar to life. I watched Monday Night Football last night and the simulated surround sound and "enhanced bass" which i first discounted as gimmicks were unbelievably convincing. The same went for Apple TV when going directly from source to soundbar with Toslink.

Unfortunately, the soundbar only has one Toslink input, and both my cable box and Apple TV only put out digital audio through HDMI or Toslink.

Has anybody had luck with a Toslink to S/Pidf adapter? I see they require separate power, but are cheap enough, and i could run one of my sources through that to the S/Pidf input on the sound bar.

Lastly, @Ursa - You're RGB settings are in the different number scale, and i can't apply them with my 50" (which uses values set in the 400-500 range), is there a conversion method? I've tried all the other settings posted and they always look greenish, am I alone in this? Thanks so much, you've been a great resource on this thread.
09:57 AM Liked: 18
post #4522 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 165
Quote:

Ursa probably used some technical wizardry to deduce that. I just noticed I always got some SOE in any mode other than "Game," even with smooth motion always turned off.

Needless to say, my TV is always in game mode.

I just switched from Standard to game mode to see if maybe it would clear up the sound sync issues I've been having, and so far (knock on wood) it seems to be working. So, there must be something to what Ursa is saying. Still, I would like to know more about what is going on here, and what the disadvantages might be, if any. For instance, how is smart dimming and auto brightness affected in this mode?
havasuvideo's Avatar havasuvideo
01:57 PM Liked: 32
post #4523 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

I have the M601 A3R. and a Panny BDT-310 3-D Blu-ray player. Has anyone had any luck getting the 2D-3D to work without the picture looking all scrambled? If so, could you please list the steps that make this work? I don't have any problems with Directv 3D or 3D blu-rays.
Are you trying to convert 2D material, through the TV, into 3D?? I have 2 M601d's, and they don't do that. You can push the 3D button and chose whatever you want-but the TV is just not capable of doing the conversion-it's not a feature.
Some 3D content comes into the TV natively as 3D, and you don't need to push any buttons, just put on your glasses and enjoy. Other content will appear as side by side, and you will have to push 3Don your remote and chose either Sensio or Side by Side(makes no difference).

Also, for the person trying to play 3D video via their thumb drive on the TV-what is the file type? .MKV, MP4??
I've found it's best to just plug your laptop into the HDMI cable, select that input, calibrate it(if you calibrated say, Dish, for HDMI 1, those settings don't carry over to HDMI2 or 3 or 4). Then, use VideoLan, or even windows media player, start the movie, push the 3D button on your remote, and chose Side by Side......
IF, the video is in Horizontal Over and Under(HOU), I've found that this TV won't convert those-even though there is a button for top/bottom-doesn't work. I haven't tried with the latest firmware though....but, most of the 3D videos I watch, are Side by Side, and are on my laptop-and I use that as the player, and they all work just fine.
ToonMasterTim's Avatar ToonMasterTim
02:08 PM Liked: 64
post #4524 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcanuck View Post

I don't own either TV, but I know both have gotten good reviews and I've considered both in the past year. CNET's review goes into some of the differences in the two sets, so you should probably read their review of the M Series for the details. Personally, I would go for the M Series unless the matte screen is important to you, or the cost is prohibitive of going up to 60". The M Series just looks stunning in my opinion. The colors are deep and rich, the off-angle viewing doesn't seem to suffer as much as it does on the E Series, and the set looks more appealing than the E. I think it's worth the extra money because I think you'll be happier overall in the long run, particularly if this is going to be your main TV. Now, if you were looking to get a TV for a spare room, the E would be worth considering to save that extra cash.
BigAnge's Avatar BigAnge
02:33 PM Liked: 10
post #4525 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 12
Quote:

I just switched from Standard to game mode to see if maybe it would clear up the sound sync issues I've been having, and so far (knock on wood) it seems to be working. So, there must be something to what Ursa is saying. Still, I would like to know more about what is going on here, and what the disadvantages might be, if any. For instance, how is smart dimming and auto brightness affected in this mode?

@DoctorVideo I think it's worth noting that sync issues have disappeared completely when circumventing the tv and going straight to my speakers (soundbar) from the source. It's night and day. I've tried every possible combination of settings, I think there is just something lacking in the sound processor that can't keep up (perhaps it has to do with refresh rates or Hz, maybe Ursa can weigh in?). This issue, along with the lackluster built-in app performance, the somewhat crappy remote (at least with the 50", it's not able to be programmed) & inability to completely remove SOE unless you are in game mode lead me to conclude: this TV is an incredible screen... and that's about it. Perfect for someone like me, or another AVS member who just wants great PQ for the money, but not something I would recommend for my clients who want a simple, minimal, all inclusive TV solution.

....especially since it can't even be used properly with vizio's own brand new line of sound bars.
schak's Avatar schak
04:55 PM Liked: 11
post #4526 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 8
Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum to help me make my decision. Thanks to you I'm a happy owner of a new Vizio M701D. I've had the TV for over a week now and have thrown all types of media at it and the picture is just stunning. Seem like people tend to only post on forums when they have issues, I want to share my positive experience. No I don't work for Vizio. If you are on the fence about the M701D, I would says go for it.

I actually cancelled a delivery of a Samsung 75F6400 and picked up the M701D instead. I didn't think the additional 5" on the 75" Samsung was worth the ~$1400 dollar more. Also seems like Samsung's quality has gone down on their TVs lately (Just my opinion after lengthy research). I was also debating between the M801D, but couldn't justify the ~$1400 difference for 10" more.

After about a week of prolong use, I calibrated using Disney's WOW disk. Below are a few things I threw at the TV and the result were just amazing. My old LCD was a 52" Samsung 52LN650A, the picture quality on that set is amazing, so my expectation for the M701D is very high and it did not disappoint. I haven't noticed any flash lighting, banding, blooming, or clouding at all.

Here are my test samples, all results are stunning:
- Bluray (Sony BDP-S5100): 2D & 3D, HD streaming of NAS
- DirecTV HD: Sports, Movies, etc..
- WDTV Live SMP: HD Streaming of HDD and NAS
- XBOX360: Multiple games
- Vizio TV App - Amazon Streaming (Avengers HD)

Hope this help anyone on the fence and looking for some more samples to make a decision.
ljn21's Avatar ljn21
05:51 PM Liked: 11
post #4527 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by schak View Post

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum to help me make my decision. Thanks to you I'm a happy owner of a new Vizio M701D. I've had the TV for over a week now and have thrown all types of media at it and the picture is just stunning. Seem like people tend to only post on forums when they have issues, I want to share my positive experience. No I don't work for Vizio. If you are on the fence about the M701D, I would says go for it.

I actually cancelled a delivery of a Samsung 75F6400 and picked up the M701D instead. I didn't think the additional 5" on the 75" Samsung was worth the ~$1400 dollar more. Also seems like Samsung's quality has gone down on their TVs lately (Just my opinion after lengthy research). I was also debating between the M801D, but couldn't justify the ~$1400 difference for 10" more.

After about a week of prolong use, I calibrated using Disney's WOW disk. Below are a few things I threw at the TV and the result were just amazing. My old LCD was a 52" Samsung 52LN650A, the picture quality on that set is amazing, so my expectation for the M701D is very high and it did not disappoint. I haven't noticed any flash lighting, banding, blooming, or clouding at all.

Here are my test samples, all results are stunning:
- Bluray (Sony BDP-S5100): 2D & 3D, HD streaming of NAS
- DirecTV HD: Sports, Movies, etc..
- WDTV Live SMP: HD Streaming of HDD and NAS
- XBOX360: Multiple games
- Vizio TV App - Amazon Streaming (Avengers HD)

Hope this help anyone on the fence and looking for some more samples to make a decision.

Care to share your settings?
joujou07's Avatar joujou07
07:01 PM Liked: 10
post #4528 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 7
Hello,
I have a question in playing back media, I hope someone can help:

I have MKV 3D file which I have converted to h264 and copied to my external HD and played on my the TV. Everything plays well at first but freezes usually between 25 - 35 minutes into.
I've tried to convert from MKV to h264 different formats, 720p, 1080p, 2 channel audio, 5.1 channel, and so on.
I've taken original 15 gig MKV and brought it down to 4 gig but still no luck.
I've tried two different external HDs (1 is 500GB and another is 1TB) and same result in the end.

Is there any limitation on file size to play back or any limitation on what the M 55 inch series TV can handle? Can it only buffer so much?

Only other thing I can think of is maybe I should use high speed USB flash memory instead of external HD?

any info would be great thanks
07:02 PM Liked: 92
post #4529 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 635
My current settings that I believe REALLY diminishes the current Light Bleed issue with overall all around awesome PQ ...................

Start with setting your Picture Mode to "Game" ... then turn OFF All Advanced Picture Settings ....

Then go to Color Temperature and set this to Custom and adjust to the below volumes ....

Color settings:
R 158
G 116
B 127
RO 135
GO 134
GO 137

Now go back to your Picture mode and set them as it states below ....

Picture Mode: Game (should have already been set from the beginning)
Backlight 20
Brightness 60
Contrast 68
Color 46
Tint 0
Sharpness 38

Now go back to advanced settings and turn ON Auto Brightness Control to "High" (you will notice that backlight is now grayed out with option to change that ... you must turn off ABC to gain access to that option again ... but though it is grayed out the number you put it on before you turn on ABS to high matters and still controls the backlight level)
After you turn on Auto Brightness all other settings are OFF.

That is where mine is currently set.

Found this to looks the best and be the best all around setting to reduce the light bleed and still give a killer picture!

Let me know what you think? smile.smile.gif
07:05 PM Liked: 92
post #4530 of 10078
09-17-2013 | Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by joujou07 View Post

Hello,
I have a question in playing back media, I hope someone can help:

I have MKV 3D file which I have converted to h264 and copied to my external HD and played on my the TV. Everything plays well at first but freezes usually between 25 - 35 minutes into.
I've tried to convert from MKV to h264 different formats, 720p, 1080p, 2 channel audio, 5.1 channel, and so on.
I've taken original 15 gig MKV and brought it down to 4 gig but still no luck.
I've tried two different external HDs (1 is 500GB and another is 1TB) and same result in the end.

Is there any limitation on file size to play back or any limitation on what the M 55 inch series TV can handle? Can it only buffer so much?

Only other thing I can think of is maybe I should use high speed USB flash memory instead of external HD?

any info would be great thanks

WD TV Live Player ... All your problems will be solved.

I watch NOTHING but .MKV movies and MKV 3D Movies without a single issue and the playback is flawless.

I know buying something is not the fix you we're looking for but converting .MKV's from 15 gig files down t 4 gig files is even worse and really kills the PQ and overall bitrate.

Get yourself a Media Streamer and you will NeVeR Lool Back. smile.gif
Tags: sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread