Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 163 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

Turn Sharpness down to about 30.
also, make sure your Direct TV settings are 1080, not 720.
And last, make sure you're watching HD content. Sounds silly, but sometimes if the Dish can't connect to the HD version, it defaults to the SD version-you should get a message when it does this.
But, I think your sharpness is turned up too high.

Also, try these settings(2nd post down):http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/540

Last-what does the picture look like if you use a blue ray disk, or hook up your computer? I'm assuming you're using a 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI cable to connect the Direct TV box to the TV?

That's actually the settings that I had on it and my sharpness was at 0. It was between that and the motion blur that I couldn't get rid of. That seemed to get worse for some reason going into the 4th week that I had the tv. And yea, it was set in Game mode so I couldn't figure out why it was still doing that. I actually exchanged the tv yesterday for a Samsung F7100 to see if I could better results out of that. This is my first time purchasing an HDTV so I figured I would at least exchange it now to see if there's a difference and if I don't like the Samsung than I'll just get the M501 again. I really liked that TV but towards the end it was the motion blur that was getting to me. It would kind of give me a headache after awhile of watching it. Maybe I'm the only one who has this issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Long shot, Maybe try turning native off (direct box) and see if that helps. I personally would keep 720p, 1080I, & 1080p checked on the box and let it pass to the TV. Cannot remember which but with the native off\on one allows the d box to do the scaling and the other the TV. The d box may have a better scaler than the TV or vise versa.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Next month when I get home I'm going to be in the market of replacing my 55". I want at least a 65 or better but I want the Glossy Screen. From what I've read the only one that has the Glossy Screen is the 65". Are there any other sets with it?

Also, I would really like to get the XVT again but haven't seen any, does anyone know if they are coming out with any? When I called Vizio the girl told me they had one, the 651XVT, but that set is almost 2 years old now. She insisted that it was current but Vizio or anyone else don't carry them anymore. So calling them didn't help.

One of the rare m65 owners here, so shoot any questions to me and I'll try my best to help. As far as I know, the m65 is the black sheep of the m-series in terms of gloss-factor. Others seem to be semi. Tips- if you can buy this tv locally and bring it home yourself, you should. Big tv+one delivery guy+multiple carrier facilities=fubar tv. You can pm me for pics of my set in certain situations. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter71 View Post

Do those with the new M701 or other M series TV see as much flashlighting as what is shown on the attached images? I was at walmart and looking at the vizio tvs and no matter what the model was (I think they were all e series), they all had flashlighting to some degree. Some of the other brand of televisions had it as will on the same signal feed but not as bad.

The attached images are from the E701 tv which I would find unacceptable if the new M series has not improved it very much from this. I have been following this thread from day one and a number of people commented on the flashlighting typically only on dark scenes with light lettering in the middle of the screen like during the credit rolls.

This images are of a white screen with colored lettering on a repeating advertisement feed that walmart was running. Very apparent when you look at the blue lettering. I am still waiting to determine if the M701D is the right TV from me, if this flashlight is typical, I think I would be disappointed.

Yeah, that's definitely not flashlighting. You'd never be able to see flashlighting on a white screen. As mentioned, it's most likely just an issue with Walmarts cruddy feed. When hooking up these TV's, they don't go out of their way to make the picture look nice.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

You are not alone with the "popping" sounds on turn-on (and in my case, with turn-off as well). I'm an old analog audio guy (still use my Linn-Sondek to hear music as it should be heard!) and use a totally analog stereo system with my TV (60" purchased last weekend). I've changed power outlets, RCA cables, even tried using the optical output run through a free-standing D-to-A converter (which I couldn't get to work at all, but that's another issue), but nothing helps. I contacted vizio.com support chat and went through some things to no avail. After a few minutes of waiting, they said "parts were being sent to a technician in my area" and a service call would be set up. Chat operator couldn't or wouldn't provide more details. I'll post the outcome. Otherwise, I'm happy with the TV.

EDIT: Finally managed to get my optical output working with my D-to-A converter (bad optical cable), and the popping sounds are ABSENT using the optical output. My speakers are surely appreciative! Unfortunately, that output level is FIXED, so I'll keep the planned service call, as my stereo has no remote.

EDIT II:

Spoke to customer service again and they wanted me to try: a different audio system totally, so I connected the analog audio to a small portable stereo, noise there too; also they requested I do a factory reset, no help; and finally, see if the noise is in the internal speakers, which it is not. Bottom line: there is popping in the analog audio output, regardless of what's connected to it.

The result is they are sending me a replacement TV. I'm a bit apprehensive, since I have no picture quality complaints on this unit at all. But I'm concerned that the noise is a symptom of something in failure mode that can only fail to a greater degree in the future.

Replacement arrived. Same problem. (Still love the PQ though.) Called Vizio and they arranged in-house service. Techs came today on service call prepared with parts to replace the main board of the TV. Didn't do it, as they had seen exactly the same problem before and knew the parts wouldn't provide a fix. Of course, their supervisor gets on the phone with me and says there's a problem with my speakers!! Short version--I explained otherwise and will be calling Vizio again. I've worked in the past in, and owned, audio recording studios, and know a bit about troubleshooting. This is a design flaw in the TV. My guess is we haven't heard more about it because so many owners use the digital outputs, and don't even know the problem exists.

I'd love to hear from anyone with the 601 using the analog audio outputs that DOESN'T have this problem. (Incidentally, the turn-OFF popping sound occurs about a minute after the set is powered down.)

Ref. post 4465
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Yeah, that's definitely not flashlighting. You'd never be able to see flashlighting on a white screen. As mentioned, it's most likely just an issue with Walmarts cruddy feed. When hooking up these TV's, they don't go out of their way to make the picture look nice.
Especially considering that a lot of walmart customers ( present company not included) use a coathanger for their feed at home, and the worst part is that it's a plastic coat hanger biggrin.gif
Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek198 View Post

None that I know of. I've gotten a few videos to actually work. My current workaround is that I purchased a blu-ray player with wifi and smart capabilities (didn't have one and was planning on buying one either way once I bought a TV). I use the YouTube app from that for YouTube viewing.

Still wish YouTube worked on the TV itself as the app appears more aesthetically pleasing than that of my blu-ray player.

How long after your purchase did the hdmi ports go out? And is it all of them?

It started after about 4 weeks and yes it is all of them. No matter what I do anything hooked up HDMI will not work. Someone I talked mentioned looking into doing a firmware update?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeavy View Post

It started after about 4 weeks and yes it is all of them. No matter what I do anything hooked up HDMI will not work. Someone I talked mentioned looking into doing a firmware update?

What version do you currently have? And what model?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

What version do you currently have? And what model?

Im not sure which version, have to check when I get home. Its the 50'' (M501 I believe)

Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeavy View Post

This really sounds like a bad board, especially since all the hdmi ports are dead. Could be firmware related but I would stilll have a service call done to check the board.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy A View Post

Long shot, Maybe try turning native off (direct box) and see if that helps. I personally would keep 720p, 1080I, & 1080p checked on the box and let it pass to the TV. Cannot remember which but with the native off\on one allows the d box to do the scaling and the other the TV. The d box may have a better scaler than the TV or vise versa.

I just checked the DirecTV settings and right now only 1080i & 1080p are selected. What's the native on/off your talking about?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Should I check 720 also
Old 10-08-2013, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhhaze View Post

Hello Group,
QUESTION: Many of the calibrated settings online either show a "movie" picture mode, which this 40" M does not have or Red, Blue, Greeen Gains and offsets in the 400s and mine are in the 100's. What am I missing? I was lucky enough to come across Ursa's and some of the other more recent calibrated/optimized settings in this thread, that have gains in the 100's, but I'm amazed at the fact that there so many differences in calibrated settings (from game mode to calibrated dark mode, to various advanced pictures settings turned off and on) I guess I just have to experiment.

Hello. The reason some settings ranges are in the 400's and some are in the 100's is that there are two different sets of firmware: one for the 50" 55" and 65" and lower ("400's", most recent firmware 1.06.10.1310 according to one recent poster), and one for the 60" 70" and 80" ("100's", most recent firmware V1.08.12.0000), iirc.
Quote:

Anybody have an idea why this would happen? This is the INPUT menu. I can still BLINDLY switch between inputs and hope I select the right one. The text itself disappeared. Some text was hidden also on other menus like the number value on the brightness, contrast, etc settings.

Problem went away once I turned off and back on the TV.

Just wondering if I should return this TV and get another one as I purchased it 7 days ago at Best Buy and have 7 days remaining to return it.

Looks to me like the ram (memory) was full and needed to be cleared. I haven't had that exact problem, but I've noticed that when using the tv for a long stretch of time with a lot of menu or app activity, the TV bogs down. Not as much as it used to several firmware updates ago, and likewise, turning it off and back on usually does the trick.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

Replacement arrived. Same problem. (Still love the PQ though.) Called Vizio and they arranged in-house service. Techs came today on service call prepared with parts to replace the main board of the TV. Didn't do it, as they had seen exactly the same problem before and knew the parts wouldn't provide a fix. Of course, their supervisor gets on the phone with me and says there's a problem with my speakers!! Short version--I explained otherwise and will be calling Vizio again. I've worked in the past in, and owned, audio recording studios, and know a bit about troubleshooting. This is a design flaw in the TV. My guess is we haven't heard more about it because so many owners use the digital outputs, and don't even know the problem exists.

I'd love to hear from anyone with the 601 using the analog audio outputs that DOESN'T have this problem. (Incidentally, the turn-OFF popping sound occurs about a minute after the set is powered down.)

Ref. post 4465

I have M601d and use RCA cables to Vizio VSB710BT soundbar and have never heard any popping on turn on or turn off. Had the TV for like 2 months.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'll bet the sound bar is not FULLY powered on and passing signal to its drivers BEFORE the TV powers up.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 AM

New member here, and, so far, a proud owner of a 40"(M401I-A3) and my firmware is V1.08.15.0000. I'm guessing that's the newest...so I'm guessing the pairing for the remote still hasn't been enabled? I've been all through the menus and can't find the option. Fortunately, my remote is cooperative compared to others I've read throughout this forum.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM

I just got the M651D-A2

Love the TV except for the glossy screen.  I have windows on 3 sides of the TV room and even at night the refection is too much.

Questions:  has anyone had this TV then gone to the M601d-A3 or M701d-A3 version

Is the semi-gloss mush different?

How about the picture or size difference.

any other differences in the model?  I believe he 65" has an 8ms response but the 60 an 70" are better,

Or should i go Samsung 65"  Thanks so much

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM

The score on football games is partly off the edge of the screen on my M 80" set. Does anyone know how to adjust it so all of the score is on the screen. I tried to adjust horizonal size but it is grayed out and you can't click on it. I thought maybe you need to be in custom mode to adjust horizonal size but do not see how to get in custom mode to do it...........help
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rujunfei View Post

I hope this means we can see the M701d available soon!
26.gif

Yeah, especially since it's been available for months now biggrin.gif
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM

I got a question here. I'm a bit worried about my 50 inch because the right side(facing the screen) of the tv gets hotter than the rest of the TV. The heat is more exterme by the bezel and on the side of the TV. Is this normal or is something wrong with the TV?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 11

I bought the exact same set two weeks ago and I'm experiencing the same ghosting/smearing problem with games and some movies. I thought I was going crazy! I saw another user with a different model (but the same problem) posting a video of the smearing: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeT2sd51v8U

Is this normal? I don't have the dead pixel problem, but the smearing is annoying as hell in some games. :(

Video Game Reviewer and Commercial Illustrator

My Illustration Work: SalamunicArt

My Gaming Website: The Game Scouts

Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPointGaming View Post

I got a question here. I'm a bit worried about my 50 inch because the right side(facing the screen) of the tv gets hotter than the rest of the TV. The heat is more exterme by the bezel and on the side of the TV. Is this normal or is something wrong with the TV?
Normal. When I had one, I checked all sides with an infrared thermometer, and the highest reading I got, was just over 100 degree's, at the bottom right. All the other sides were just a few degree's different.
None of the area's I checked, had an "extreme" temperature. So, check to make sure your TV is getting ventilated, and nothing is blocking the air-flow.
If your Bezel area is hotter than you can touch comfortably, take it back. They do get warm...but not hot.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhipple View Post

I just got the M651D-A2

Love the TV except for the glossy screen.  I have windows on 3 sides of the TV room and even at night the refection is too much.

Questions:  has anyone had this TV then gone to the M601d-A3 or M701d-A3 version
Is the semi-gloss mush different?

How about the picture or size difference.
any other differences in the model?  I believe he 65" has an 8ms response but the 60 an 70" are better,

Or should i go Samsung 65"  Thanks so much

The 65" version is mirror .... it's as glossy as a Plasma TV.

I personally have the 70" and isn't even close to the 65" (it's a semi-gloss at best)

I was fortunate enough to see the 60" and 65" set up side by side at my local Costco when they came out and I can tell you it's a HUGE difference.

I could never stand that kind of reflection.

Go with the 70" you will be SO happy you did.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPointGaming View Post

I have heard this mentioned in this thread more then a few times now in the last many months now.

Not sure what the result was for those who had the issue but I'm sure it 's nothing to worry much about or we would have heard more.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameScouts View Post

I bought the exact same set two weeks ago and I'm experiencing the same ghosting/smearing problem with games and some movies. I thought I was going crazy! I saw another user with a different model (but the same problem) posting a video of the smearing: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeT2sd51v8U

Is this normal? I don't have the dead pixel problem, but the smearing is annoying as hell in some games. frown.gif

It's not a plasma .... motion blur will occur, especially when smooth motion is off.

I see it from time to time watching sports but not enough for it to matter really.

I don't play games on this TV so I can't comment.

Movies always looks Stellar in my set ... I do run with certain movies the smooth motion on low (I kinda like the look for some movies) ... but TV watching it is off and I never have an issue with it really.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 View Post

so has anyone tried to clean their screen yet? I cleaned mine last night with a microfiber cloth and i noticed it got worse. now i see clouding on the left side and more light bleeding and the smart dimming doesnt seem to help it enough, so now im thinking of sending it back. i remember reading about that guy that tried to clean his screen and caused severe clouding and light bleeding.

I didnt get any new issues like bleed or anything come up when I tried to clean one finger print from the screen that got there while trying to attach the stand, but I will be damned if I can get the finger print off. It just smears around and turned into like a two inch schmudge now. Frustrated, WTH are you supposed to clean with? I tried dry microfiber, damp microfiber, lens cloth from glasses, tissue (lotion free), toilet paper, paper towel. No joy. Using as light a touch as possible, barely any pressure at all as I am afraid of causing bleed or clouding issues.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Is the 55 inch glossy
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post

I will be damned if I can get the finger print off. It just smears around and turned into like a two inch schmudge now. Frustrated, WTH are you supposed to clean with? I tried dry microfiber, damp microfiber, lens cloth from glasses, tissue (lotion free), toilet paper, paper towel. No joy. Using as light a touch as possible, barely any pressure at all as I am afraid of causing bleed or clouding issues.

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40/~/cleaning-your-vizio-screen

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post

I will be damned if I can get the finger print off. It just smears around and turned into like a two inch schmudge now. Frustrated, WTH are you supposed to clean with? I tried dry microfiber, damp microfiber, lens cloth from glasses, tissue (lotion free), toilet paper, paper towel. No joy. Using as light a touch as possible, barely any pressure at all as I am afraid of causing bleed or clouding issues.

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40/~/cleaning-your-vizio-screen

A little water on a microfiber towel works too. Just enough to make it damp. That's how I removed smudges after installing.

What's funny is, I had a Vizio plasma for 6 years and never really had to clean it! It never collected dust on the screen! I hope this is the same way.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanstop View Post

One of the rare m65 owners here, so shoot any questions to me and I'll try my best to help. As far as I know, the m65 is the black sheep of the m-series in terms of gloss-factor. Others seem to be semi. Tips- if you can buy this tv locally and bring it home yourself, you should. Big tv+one delivery guy+multiple carrier facilities=fubar tv. You can pm me for pics of my set in certain situations. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. The Glare is not an issue. I currently have the 554XVT with the glossy screen and it's in a bright room with a 150 gallon reef tank with 460 watts of lighting sitting directly across from it and still love it. People read about the glare and when they get the set their eyes go right to it and they completely focus on it. They don't look at the picture, which is so much better.

One thing I don't like about my current set is the audio jumps so much. Dialog sometimes get very soft and then the background blares out. The SRS TruVolume doesn't help at all, sometimes it seems worse with it on. How is your 65" as far as that goes. And how is the sound in general. Mine has front facing speakers plus I have a powered sub connected to it so for general viewing it's really decent. For movies I can turn on the Amp. I will miss the Bluetooth remote mine currently has but I can deal with that since I don't use the TV remote all the time.

How is the viewing angle. My current one is good, the 651, the 65" from last year was poor so I passed on that set.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv