Forum Jump: 

post #5491 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post

Indeed. I'm just trying to figure out which is the better value, bang for your buck and whatnot; the 60" or the 50" with that black friday discount.

I really like plasma pictures, but I'm trying to avoid the insane input lag on the panasonic ST60 series tv, as I get killed enough in COD and BF3 with my old tv without introducing even more lag.

For the 200 off, it allows me to get the 5 year warranty from best buy. As much as I want the 60inch, for what I use it for the extra money is not worth it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here are two reports for a 70".
Equipment used is a Video Forge generator and a Chroma 5 with LED table profiled off a One Eye Pro. The first is of the tv itself and another with a Iscan Duo in the chain. I know some guys hate the local dimming but on this set with a proper calibration is looks really good. Some of the numbers especially the CT offsets are lower than what most see but the calibrating the Relative balance is different than the Absolute balance. The gamma really started to get wacky the further I went so I found a good happy medium. Because the gamma luminance is brought down in the 10-30% area the brightness has to be brought up to compensate. The Red on the chart was very touchy, it seems as small changes really made a big change on the chart. The Luminance is the important figure anyway so I just left the plot point alone on the chart. I will try to answer any questions.

Vizio 70.pdf 919k .pdf file Vizio 70 Iscan Duo.pdf 906k .pdf file

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vizio 70.pdf (919.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf Vizio 70 Iscan Duo.pdf (906.3 KB, 51 views)

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5493 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Indeed. I'm just trying to figure out which is the better value, bang for your buck and whatnot; the 60" or the 50" with that black friday discount.

I really like plasma pictures, but I'm trying to avoid the insane input lag on the panasonic ST60 series tv, as I get killed enough in COD and BF3 with my old tv without introducing even more lag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lashinski View Post

For the 200 off, it allows me to get the 5 year warranty from best buy. As much as I want the 60inch, for what I use it for the extra money is not worth it to me.

True. That's not a bad idea in itself. Also, I hadn't realized the 60 is literally twice as much as the 50" with the 200$ off. Yikes.
post #5494 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Doesn't appear to be. It's 599 with free delivery from Nov 28-30
I'll go to the store and get one. It's easier to exchange/return if there's a dead pixel. Online is always a pain and I have no idea how they handle it.
post #5495 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Doesn't appear to be. It's 599 with free delivery from Nov 28-30

what time is this active online? looking for this tv... lets see if delivery is free, otherwise they want $70

post #5496 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo2k2ndc View Post

I read earlier in the thread that the 55 in was having some problems that most models weren't having (Also had 12 zones instead of 16), have they been fixed? Cause Best Buy has a good sale on Vizio's and it's between the 55 and 60 in for me.. Thanks to whoever responds

Not even a consideration (unless it comes down to $) - the 60 without batting an eye!
post #5497 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post

1. You have to have the CEC function enabled. It is disabled by default.

2. I believe 1.06.8.1285 is the latest version.

1.06.10.1310 is the latest version. My TV was repaired in August and that's the version on the board they installed.
post #5498 of 9656 Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

101% sure you have smart dimming enabled in the advanced picture menu. Turn that off.

On the contrary, I have my smart dimming set to ON and Light bleed is very minimal. But then again I own the m65; which is the black sheep of the the m-series from what I gather. Yet, I am very satisfied with it and no regrets. If I didn't know what to look for, I would not notice it one bit. Now my eyes are trained to find flaws. Using a mix of Dr. Shankensteins/WOW settings and game mode. Haven't changed the settings since.
post #5499 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I plan on buying it online, and just choosing the in store pick up option.
post #5500 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Didn't get a response to the above pictures.  Is this level of edge bleeding to be expected?  Or is this something I should contact about replacing?  If I send it back I'll probably upgrade to the 60 since that seems to be the go-to choice around here.

Turning the dimming feature on in advanced settings makes it barely noticeable to my eye.  I didn't even realize this problem existed until I turned it off per the suggestion in the previous page.

post #5501 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post

Didn't get a response to the above pictures.  Is this level of edge bleeding to be expected?  Or is this something I should contact about replacing?  If I send it back I'll probably upgrade to the 60 since that seems to be the go-to choice around here.

Turning the dimming feature on in advanced settings makes it barely noticeable to my eye.  I didn't even realize this problem existed until I turned it off per the suggestion in the previous page.
Looks about normal to me with it turned off, the local dimming works very well if it is calibrated properly.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5502 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

Looks about normal to me with it turned off, the local dimming works very well if it is calibrated properly.

That's what I was thinking.  For under $900 I can't be too picky.  I just received the WOW disc so I'll run that and see if Shankensteins settings aren't optimal for my set for some reason.  I'll update if I get an improvement.  I really don't know if I can live with that bottom right hand corner.  It's really distracting, and constantly pulls my eyes to it.

post #5503 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post

That's what I was thinking.  For under $900 I can't be too picky.  I just received the WOW disc so I'll run that and see if Shankensteins settings aren't optimal for my set for some reason.  I'll update if I get an improvement.  I really don't know if I can live with that bottom right hand corner.  It's really distracting, and constantly pulls my eyes to it.
Is it only like that with the dimming turned off

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5504 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Is it only like that with the dimming turned off

Yes and no.  I posted a number of pictures on page 183 where it shows with dimming and with out.  I don't want to flood the thread with redundant photos, so I won't post them again.

It gets better, but "better" is of course relative, lol.  It's still noticeable, and in certain circumstances pulls my eye down to it, but not nearly so much as when dimming is off.

I guess it comes down to how picky can one be with this TV, and would / could I end up with a better set if I contacted Amazon to replace.  And if going through the hassle of replacing, would it be better from a general quality stand point to move forward with a 60 inch to try and avoid this and other potential issues?

post #5505 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM

LL

LL

I appreciate the Post I would like to give these a shot......Can you post the numbers in the pics its hard to make a couple of them out cant tell if its 36 or 38.  Thanks in advance.

post #5506 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by go49ers View Post

LL

LL

I appreciate the Post I would like to give these a shot......Can you post the numbers in the pics its hard to make a couple of them out cant tell if its 36 or 38.  Thanks in advance.

netkrazed and sonoftumble like this.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5507 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So, it's been a couple days now since that guy posted he got the firmware update to add WiFi to the remote. I've yet to see anyone else say they got the update. Just so we're clear, NOBODY else here has gotten it yet?
post #5508 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

So, it's been a couple days now since that guy posted he got the firmware update to add WiFi to the remote. I've yet to see anyone else say they got the update. Just so we're clear, NOBODY else here has gotten it yet?

I have a 70" and have not received it yet either.  Been checking but no luck!

post #5509 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM

I own this TV and appreciate you posting the calibrated settings very much. I have owned this set for about three weeks and feel is has amazing potential to display a very accurate image. I will implement your calibrated settings and give myself some time to get used to the changes.

Just curious, why did you calibrate this set in the "game" mode ?

thanks again for you work.
post #5510 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

Thank you for doing this.  I will be pulling the trigger on a M701 around Black Friday!  I'm always looking for tips and advice as it pertains to improving or getting the max out of my TV's.  Will your post be going into the spreadsheet or on the general thread?

Thanks again!!!

I'm new here - what spreadsheet is this you are referencing? Would love to know...thanks!!
post #5511 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

Thank you for doing this.  I will be pulling the trigger on a M701 around Black Friday!  I'm always looking for tips and advice as it pertains to improving or getting the max out of my TV's.  Will your post be going into the spreadsheet or on the general thread?

Thanks again!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mole351 View Post

I'm new here - what spreadsheet is this you are referencing? Would love to know...thanks!!

Maybe I am thinking of a different forum.  I thought that when I first signed up there was a link to a spreadsheet that various members of this thread had contributed their preferred settings.  The thread has grown so much that even though I scoured through the whole thread, I could not find that link.  Maybe another member can help with this?  Am I imagining this?  Also, keep in mind that these settings may not be "calibrated" settings.  My advice is to use MADKAW's or URSA's to get the best picture.  Both of these members are professional calibrators and the response from the community has been very positive.  

post #5512 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Here are two reports for a 70".
Equipment used is a Video Forge generator and a Chroma 5 with LED table profiled off a One Eye Pro. The first is of the tv itself and another with a Iscan Duo in the chain. I know some guys hate the local dimming but on this set with a proper calibration is looks really good. Some of the numbers especially the CT offsets are lower than what most see but the calibrating the Relative balance is different than the Absolute balance. The gamma really started to get wacky the further I went so I found a good happy medium. Because the gamma luminance is brought down in the 10-30% area the brightness has to be brought up to compensate. The Red on the chart was very touchy, it seems as small changes really made a big change on the chart. The Luminance is the important figure anyway so I just left the plot point alone on the chart. I will try to answer any questions.

Vizio 70.pdf 919k .pdf file Vizio 70 Iscan Duo.pdf 906k .pdf file

This is too cool.
I'm on the fence of the 70", 80", or the new plasmas 65" Panasonic VT or ZT, or Samsung 64" 8500 plasma.
My current plasma is a Panasonic TH-50PZ800 with a viewing distance of 13-14 feet.
Fair amount of light during the day and definitely not a dedicated dark room but could get as dark as wanted at night.
My question is would I regret not having great black levels or is it just in my head?
I've seen a couple of 65" ZT's at Best Buy stores and they don't look very good to me.
Not sure how they have them set up etc.
I'm thinking LCDs are ok for my viewing but don't want to make a $3-4k mistake.
Any thoughts?
post #5513 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintonsa View Post

I own this TV and appreciate you posting the calibrated settings very much. I have owned this set for about three weeks and feel is has amazing potential to display a very accurate image. I will implement your calibrated settings and give myself some time to get used to the changes.

Just curious, why did you calibrate this set in the "game" mode ?

thanks again for you work.
At first I used the Calibrated Dark mode, different modes will take different settings, but the biggest thing I noticed was that is Game mode there was much less flashlight affect. Almost none as a matter of fact, yet in calibrated dark mode with everything else set up to the same specs the backlight had the effect of it being turned up some 20 clicks higher. In calibrated dark mose I had to turn the backlight down to about 18 to get it to stop showing on a black screen.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5514 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Very interesting, I look forward to spending time to implement your settings this evening. Hopefully it will make a very good looking display look spectacular.

Thanks again for sharing your settings.
post #5515 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

This is too cool.
I'm on the fence of the 70", 80", or the new plasmas 65" Panasonic VT or ZT, or Samsung 64" 8500 plasma.
My current plasma is a Panasonic TH-50PZ800 with a viewing distance of 13-14 feet.
Fair amount of light during the day and definitely not a dedicated dark room but could get as dark as wanted at night.
My question is would I regret not having great black levels or is it just in my head?
I've seen a couple of 65" ZT's at Best Buy stores and they don't look very good to me.
Any thoughts?
I know sets vary but I moved the Pioneer 141FD out of the theatre room and into the living room. So leaving the best quality tv for a led was a big gamble for me. Having a 60 already the panny was alot of money just to gain 5 inches beacause there is no gain in quality from the pioneer to the panny. Once I decided to go to a 70 my options were pretty limited. After settling on the M series I am totally happy. The backlight is not perfect but it is not a 7k tv like the sharp or sony either.
For you going from a 50 to a 65 will be a big jump. That makes it harder to get away from the plasma IMHO. I have calibrated a few and they are very impressive, but the 65 is as big as they get and once you watch a 70 or 80 it is worth it to give up a touch for the awesome size.
Once calibrated the black levels are pretty impressive, I can see it in certain scenes but the wife is also a stickler after the 9g Pioneer and she is totally happy with the Vizio.
Now to just get that wifi update for the remote because that thing stinks. LOL
Dont believe anything you see in the box stores. I saw a Samsung 58 or 60 not sure in a store 2 weeks ago and it looked absolutely horrible, I pulled the menu up and they had the contrast turned down to 25 as to make it look super dim. I didnt think this way at first but I cranked it up to 80 and low and behold a little over a week later I went back in and the same set was turned back down to 25. I asked for the remote and they said they couldnt find it.
Use the reports off of this site along with pictures from all the great members to make a decision on what is best for you, no matter what type of panel it is.
laserjock II likes this.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #5516 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post

Maybe I am thinking of a different forum.  I thought that when I first signed up there was a link to a spreadsheet that various members of this thread had contributed their preferred settings.  The thread has grown so much that even though I scoured through the whole thread, I could not find that link.  Maybe another member can help with this?  Am I imagining this?  Also, keep in mind that these settings may not be "calibrated" settings.  My advice is to use MADKAW's or URSA's to get the best picture.  Both of these members are professional calibrators and the response from the community has been very positive.  

Oh, gotcha...never mind! I thought you were referring to a spreadsheet with all of the tv models and their different various black friday deals...LOL
post #5517 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

FYI, just got a new firmware update today for my 80" for the remote which adds wifi capability. You will get a pop-up on your screen asking if you want to setup the wifi capability of your remote! The remote now works flawlessly now and can be pointed to the ground or be used from another room and no line of sight needed. It can control xbox, a cable box, soundbar, etc (this part is setup with an on-screen menu at the them time of the firmware update) that is pretty darn cool.

Can anyone else confirm this update? This was the only person I saw that mentioned it.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the new Netflix app upgrade. There was a 2 week roll-out period mentioned by Netflix for this roll-out to consoles and TVs. Tomorrow (Wed.) marks the end of week 1. We shall see.
post #5518 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole351 View Post

Oh, gotcha...never mind! I thought you were referring to a spreadsheet with all of the tv models and their different various black friday deals...LOL

LOL  --  For me, I will be looking out for any Amazon deal on the M701.  I have an Amazon gift card from a SquareTrade warranty claim that is chomping for any change in pricing.  I will then buy the SquareTrade warranty for the new set at Costco.  ( You don't need to buy the set at Costco to get the SquareTrade warranty for $99 - instead of $260 through Amazon) - very cool!

post #5519 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

This is too cool.
Any thoughts?

You have no worries. You are not going to miss your 6 yr old 50 plasma with going to the vizio 70 or 80! I just came from a 60" plasma, 6 years old, and was in the same position you were. No contest. Buy it. Do the 80 if you can fit it.
laserjock II likes this.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #5520 of 9656 Old 11-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Hey guys! 

Made the switch from Samsung to Vizio. My Samsung originally bought in early 2008 broke, it turns on but half the screen is black/blue, all right after my 4 year warranty ended, go figure. But I figured it was time for a new TV anyways instead of price checking on repair jobs. I ordered the M50. It's going to be a bedroom TV so i didn't wanna go extremely big and the price is pretty amazing for TV that has 4-5 star ratings on bestbuy and walmart. 

Now, I can't seem to find the calibration settings for my 50, if someone can post them or a link it would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get my Vizio and hope it lasts longer than my crapsung.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page