post #541 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Do you have your PS3 on RGB Full or RGB Limited on these two pics?
Here are my settings:
Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Here are my settings:
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.

Does the backlight max out at 100? If so, how is screen uniformity at max or close to it?
post #543 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Just out of curiosity, because I never used one before, what Picture modes do the VIZIOs offer? is there a "Standard"?

post #544 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Just out of curiosity, because I never used one before, what Picture modes do the VIZIOs offer? is there a "Standard"?
Yes there is a Standard which is the same as Samsung/Sony's energy star rated.
post #545 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes there is a Standard which is the same as Samsung/Sony's energy star rated.

Thanks; does this suggest that these Standard modes are somewhat "dimmer" than similar modes in the past (due to the Energy Star ratings)? Did you ever see the VIZIO Standard mode for yourself? If so, what kinds of "characteristics" did it exhibit, out of the gate?

post #546 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the backlight max out at 100? If so, how is screen uniformity at max or close to it?
It maxes out at 100. I tried it maxed with smart dimming enabled and the top corners definitely glowed a bit more. And blooming was a little worse on the PS3 menu screen. I have a Sylvania Mosaic led bias lighting set-up that is quite incredible increasing perceived contrast and black level performance. I was able to go as high about 75-80 on the backlight w/bias light before corners started flash lighting.
post #547 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks; does this suggest that these Standard modes are somewhat "dimmer" than similar modes in the past (due to the Energy Star ratings)? Did you ever see the VIZIO Standard mode for yourself? If so, what kinds of "characteristics" did it exhibit, out of the gate?
It looks slightly better than "Vivid" mode Sharpness(70) is way too high, colors (63),and backlight(83) w/smart dimming and auto brightness on medium.
post #548 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looks slightly better than "Vivid" mode Sharpness(70) is way too high, colors (63),and backlight(83) w/smart dimming and auto brightness on medium.

These numbers you provide are the DEFAULT numbers in Standard for these controls?

post #549 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you smile.gif
post #550 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These numbers you provide are the DEFAULT numbers in Standard for these controls?
Yes, I have tried adjusting all setting, but that is what they were to start.
post #551 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

It maxes out at 100. I tried it maxed with smart dimming enabled and the top corners definitely glowed a bit more. And blooming was a little worse on the PS3 menu screen. I have a Sylvania Mosaic led bias lighting set-up that is quite incredible increasing perceived contrast and black level performance. I was able to go as high about 75-80 on the backlight w/bias light before corners started flash lighting.

That kinda sucks. Although your pics look great I've never had much success taking the backlight down over half without actually degrading the PQ. I had the Vizio M3D550KD and absolutely loved the PQ but I left the backlight at 82. I also had a weird issue with local dimming on the M3Dxx0KD. Whenever there was a night scene, or generally a darker scene, I would notice anomalies with the backlight trying to almost overcompensate itself resulting in strange moving lights all over the screen. It's really hard to explain as I've never seen anything like it before but I have read some posts of other owners (of different TVs) describing the same thing. Do you notice anything with the local dimming?
post #552 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 09:49 PM

I just picked this up tonight and so far so good.

One annoying thing is if you hit the info button where it displays which port you're using, time, etc. us that the time is WAY off. The tv time and date are correct in the menu ... just not displaying properly.

Current time is 1248 am, TV is saying it's 205pm.

Anyone know how to fix it? Time zone, DST, zip code and country are all set properly.

Thanks!
post #553 of 9947 Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The BUY NOW (Add To Cart) button was just added to most of the entire M-Series line-up tonight (minus the 70" & 80" of course ... and the 40 looks like)

http://store.vizio.com/mseries.html
post #554 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That kinda sucks. Although your pics look great I've never had much success taking the backlight down over half without actually degrading the PQ. I had the Vizio M3D550KD and absolutely loved the PQ but I left the backlight at 82. I also had a weird issue with local dimming on the M3Dxx0KD. Whenever there was a night scene, or generally a darker scene, I would notice anomalies with the backlight trying to almost overcompensate itself resulting in strange moving lights all over the screen. It's really hard to explain as I've never seen anything like it before but I have read some posts of other owners (of different TVs) describing the same thing. Do you notice anything with the local dimming?

The smart dimming is definitely very aggressive on this set. I have notice a little during film content that will switch from widescreen to full (IMAX) screen. Where the black horizontal bars were the TV will take a few seconds to adjust and recognize the content change leaving dark before slowly illuminating. I will try and post vid later today.
post #555 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my LM7600 I had the backlight between 37-50 because of uniformity issues, even with LED+ enabled.
post #556 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Here are my settings:
Adv.Setting:

Thanks man. These settings look great for me. Why did you lower the sharpness so mich though?
post #557 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Liked: 13
bought the 55 yesterday. Love the TV, watched the hockey game last night with no splotches/dark spots and all the action looked fantastic. Coming from a dying bulb on a 10 year old DLP this thing is amazing.

Superguy25, i'm having the same issue with the time. It is correct in the settings but it never translates to the info screen. It's 5 hours off for me. Played some PS3 3D last night and from my experience with other active shutter 3D TV's, i think i prefer the passive.

Thanks for posting the setting's Dr Shankenstien, i didn't mess much with it yet, just knocked some of the super brightness down and turned off the motion flow stuff
post #558 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 12
Press release -- which just came out -- mentions Summer updates for remotes....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New VIZIO M-Series Delivers Faster, Smarter, All-LED HDTVs to Consumers Seeking Edge-to-Edge Perfection

-Nationwide Rollout of M-Series Offers 32” to 80” Screen Size Classes Featuring All-New, Ultra-Modern Industrial Design with Near Borderless Frames

Irvine, CA — May 28, 2013 — VIZIO, America’s #1 large size HDTV company1 and #1 selling LCD HDTV Brand in the U.S. 2, today announced pricing and availability for its highly anticipated all-new line of M-Series Razor LED™ Smart TVs3. Featuring an ultra-modern, ultra-thin bezel that virtually vanishes next to the nearly edge-to-edge display, VIZIO’s enhanced HDTV line-up continues to demonstrate the brand’s leadership in HDTV technology and design-focused enhancements. VIZIO, ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with HDTVs” by J.D. Power and Associates4, will begin rolling out its sleek new offerings this month.

VIZIO’s new M-Series Razor LEDTM Smart TVs are the ideal centerpieces for today’s modern families, giving rooms an instant “designer home” makeover. The signature M-Series design is available in a full range of screen size classes including 32” (M321i), 40” (M401i), 47” (M471i), 50” (M501d), 55” (M551d), 60” (M601d), 65” (M651d), 70” (M701d) and 80” (M801d) and combines enhanced picture quality and an all-new, more responsive, easy to use VIZIO Internet Apps Plus™ with an ultra-thin bezel for an immersive, near borderless TV experience. The base and neck feature unique interior metal construction for added stability, while the beautiful metallic finish complements the design and helps set the new standard for home entertainment perfection.
“The M-Series family offers an elegant blend of thoughtful design detailing and premium materials, presenting consumers with an HDTV they will be proud to showcase in their homes,” said Scott McManigal, VIZIO VP of Industrial Design. “The ultra-thin bezel reduces peripheral distractions and enhances the rich picture quality allowing for a superior edge-to-edge viewing experience.”

VIZIO’s new M-Series Razor LEDTM Smart TVs build on VIZIO’s position as the current#1 Smart LED TV brand in the U.S.5, with over 3.2 million Smart HDTVs sold since 20106. Featuring Smart Dimming™ technology to deliver deeper blacks and brighter whites for a richer contrast, the M-Series units offer full HD 1080p and up to 240Hz effective refresh rate featuring Smooth Motion enhanced with backlight scanning allowing for the sharpest possible picture. Consumers with 50” M- Series models and larger, will enjoy a flicker-free, 3D picture through lightweight, battery free glasses thanks to VIZIO’s Theater 3D® technology. Providing a crystal-clear and visibly brighter picture than conventional 3D, Theater 3D makes allows for a more immersive 3D viewing experience.
“As hardware manufacturers and content providers continue to align to provide consumers with a more robust internet capable experience, the market for ‘Smart TVs’ will continue to evolve,” said Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD. “VIZIO has been able to maintain a leadership position in LCD TVs with apps included for 2012 and Q1 2013.”

VIZIO, being #1 in the Smart TV industry7, introduces the M-Series collection which boasts a best-in-class connected TV experience allowing consumers to instantly enjoy the latest hit movies, TV shows, music and more through VIZIO Internet Apps Plus. The new, faster VIZIO Internet Apps Plus Smart TV platform allows users of all experience levels to quickly and easily breeze through set-up and get connected. The intuitive Smart TV platform offers more apps than ever before, making it convenient to start watching TV or browse apps like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, M-GO, Facebook®, HuluPlus, Pandora®, VUDU and YouTube® using the TV’s built-in Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection to the Internet. Additionally, the M-Series collection features a backlit Smart remote that is perfect for nighttime viewing. Coming Summer 2013, all M-Series model remotes will be enabled with Wi-Fi and Universal remote features, making it easier to control all home entertainment devices, creating a better user experience8.

"The new VIZIO M-Series televisions represent a significant step forward in terms of design, picture quality and connectivity," said Matt McRae, VIZIO Chief Technology Officer. "Our Smart TV platform has been upgraded with new apps, new features and new experiences such as dual screen control from smartphones and tablets. We also focused on the basics that matter to every consumer such as a newly designed remote control and class leading picture quality."

The all-new M-Series models are now shipping to retailers nationwide including Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart. For more information on VIZIO’s M-Series collection, please visit VIZIO.com

VIZIO M-Series Razor LEDTM Smart TVs

32” Razor LED Smart TV (M321i) – $399.99 MSRP

40” Razor LED Smart TV (M401i) – $529.99 MSRP

47” Razor LED Smart TV (M471i) – $729.99 MSRP

VIZIO M-Series Razor LEDTM Smart TVs w/Theater 3D

50” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M501d) – $799.99 MSRP

55” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M551d) – $1,199.99 MSRP

60” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M601d) – $1,599.99 MSRP

65” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M651d) – $1,999.99 MSRP

70” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M701d) – $2,499.99 MSRP

80” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M801d) – $3,999.99 MSRP
post #559 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcubed View Post

Superguy25, i'm having the same issue with the time. It is correct in the settings but it never translates to the info screen. It's 5 hours off for me. Played some PS3 3D last night and from my experience with other active shutter 3D TV's, i think i prefer the passive.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I was starting to wonder if I had done something wrong. biggrin.gif
post #560 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemiami View Post

Additionally, the M-Series collection features a backlit Smart remote that is perfect for nighttime viewing. Coming Summer 2013, all M-Series model remotes will be enabled with Wi-Fi and Universal remote features, making it easier to control all home entertainment devices, creating a better user experience.

Does that mean that the currently supplied remotes will be "turned on", or that they will start shipping a new remote that is better than the current one being sold?

RT
post #561 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 AM

post #562 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 13
i'm a bit confused on ARC. I have a Sony soundbar and i have everything going to it with the output going to the TV via the ARC HDMI. When i watch a streaming app from the TV the audio only plays via the TV speakers and the original input on the soundbar still plays. Do i need to disable the TV speakers to enable ARC?
post #563 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy25 View Post

I just picked this up tonight and so far so good.

One annoying thing is if you hit the info button where it displays which port you're using, time, etc. us that the time is WAY off. The tv time and date are correct in the menu ... just not displaying properly.

Current time is 1248 am, TV is saying it's 205pm.

Anyone know how to fix it? Time zone, DST, zip code and country are all set properly.

Thanks!

mine did this as well, but I turned DST off, exited the menu, then went back in and turned it on and all was well...
post #564 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberToe View Post

Does that mean that the currently supplied remotes will be "turned on", or that they will start shipping a new remote that is better than the current one being sold?

RT

oh my, I sure hope it's simply a matter of enabling skynet on the damn thing... it's lack of responsiveness is annoying.

Several times over the weekend, my wife would tell me the TV wasn't working because she couldn't get the remote to register on the TV. I've found that you need to hit any button to bring it out of sleep mode (read: turn on the fancy backlighting), then hit the desired keys. Also, you really have to be pointing it at a specific spot, but I've yet to locate it...

I really want to reiterate, though, that remote issues aside, I'm loving this TV and have no problems recommending it to anyone.

EDIT: I did see in the manual where I should point the remote (bottom-left corner), but in my testing, the results were VERY inconsistent
post #565 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Here are my settings:
Adv.Setting:

Thanks for posting these! When I feel like spending time fighting the remote, I'll check them out! Right now, I've set mine to Game (w/ no tweaking) and am liking the PQ. On this setting, I do see some white spots around the perimeter, but not enough to cause me discomfort...
post #566 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhlx View Post

Thanks man. These settings look great for me. Why did you lower the sharpness so mich though?
I notices that with the FPR employed on the set I notice stair stepping along edges when set to high. When using the Disney WOW this was a few notches below where I started seeing a little stair stepping. I am looking for any suggestions that may improve on what I have.
post #567 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
I just got a samsung es6100. I am bent on if I should return it to best buy and get this tv for $100 more. I would gain 10in and 3d. How do you think the pq is compared to a 1080p 240cmr samsung? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
post #568 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenglish View Post

oh my, I sure hope it's simply a matter of enabling skynet on the damn thing... it's lack of responsiveness is annoying.

Several times over the weekend, my wife would tell me the TV wasn't working because she couldn't get the remote to register on the TV. I've found that you need to hit any button to bring it out of sleep mode (read: turn on the fancy backlighting), then hit the desired keys. Also, you really have to be pointing it at a specific spot, but I've yet to locate it...

I really want to reiterate, though, that remote issues aside, I'm loving this TV and have no problems recommending it to anyone.

EDIT: I did see in the manual where I should point the remote (bottom-left corner), but in my testing, the results were VERY inconsistent
Th magic spot is the lower left hand corner of the display near the power indicator.
post #569 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenglish View Post

mine did this as well, but I turned DST off, exited the menu, then went back in and turned it on and all was well...

I'll give that a try tonight.

Thanks!
post #570 of 9947 Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisishere View Post

I just got a samsung es6100. I am bent on if I should return it to best buy and get this tv for $100 more. I would gain 10in and 3d. How do you think the pq is compared to a 1080p 240cmr samsung? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

10 inches plus 3D for 100 bucks??? ..... SOLD

Well worth it!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page