Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by namsteveo View Post

Hey All. Just got an M601D yesterday and working on calibration settings. I browsed the thread as much I could but didn't see answers to some of these questions:

I like the soap opera effect so want to keep this turned up high, especially watching sports. I'm also in a pretty bright room during the morning/early afternoon, and a pretty dim room during the afternoon/night (obviously), so I'm trying to find a Calibrated and Calibrated Dim setting to reflect these. I like Ursa's settings for gaming in a dim room, but the settings seem pretty dark and I can't use them for normal viewing since I like the soap opera effect. Any suggestions?

Also, if I did choose to use someone's calibrated settings where they have the Smooth Motion Effect turned to Off, and wanted it turned to High, would that screw up the rest of the calibration?

Finally - I know the color scale on the 55, 65" etc. TVs is different than my 60" series. Can someone provide the range of the 55" color scales? I assume if I found a setting I liked, and understood the scale index, I could just figure out the correct settings on my series - right?

Just to follow up on my long post, I guess what I'm saying is that I love the colors on Ursa's setting but I want to see the soap opera effect and want the screen brighter without sacrificing too much of his calibration. Can I translate his settings over to "Calibration" or "Calibration Dark" and turn on Smooth Motion Effect, and then increase the backlight and brightness appropriately without screwing up the calibration too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleng View Post

I should point out that the first time,there was a working picture. But no controls worked. I had to unplug it.

First let it set for an hour and try again, these things have computers in them. I would also run an ethernet cable to it. Them if it won't go through the initial setup take it back, or If you got it from amazon call them.
post #5853 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

First let it set for an hour and try again, these things have computers in them. I would also run an ethernet cable to it. Them if it won't go through the initial setup take it back, or If you got it from amazon call them.
I ran the setup. I was playing with all the options. Changing inputs,going on the internet,etc.
post #5854 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Have you read the SQ warranty, I think they have onsite repair. I went with Amazon, it was shipped free no tax and I bought a 4 year warranty from Vizio when I registered it with them. I have not bought a TV from a store and drug it home in years, It's cheaper and those big boxes are hard to handle.

I guess when I read about how many people have had to go through 3-4-5 units before getting a good one - that I might rather do those exchanges locally vs. doing it via a shipper through Amazon.

Also, several posters raved about how they wouldn't buy a TV from anyone by Costco - for the easy 90 day return policy service level they receive for the first 2 years of the warranty.

These are the things that have me asking if I should buy local or not.

post #5855 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 07:31 PM

Have a 60" on the way but I can't seem to find the right post with calibration settings in this thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
post #5856 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by checo001 View Post

Have a 60" on the way but I can't seem to find the right post with calibration settings in this thread. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

These are the settings I used from Ursa that work the best for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/2550#post_23518914
post #5857 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 PM

hi i just picked up this tv yesterday and i want to adjust picture settings. I have looked at the ursa settings but am little confused. My model is the 65in one. my red/blue gain start at 500( middle of the scale). I believe 100s will be low. On the picture it shows it in the middle but when i just changed red gain to 140s its all the way to the left of the scale.

post #5858 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 10:32 PM

I've calibrated to both of the settings floating around out there... IS IT JUST ME or is this tv kind of dim. It doesn't seem very vibrant at all. Nothings really poping nicely....
post #5859 of 9545 Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

why would you think that? smile.gif

Ive never owned a vizio, but am trying to decide between it and the sony 550a. I cant do a projector without tearing sheetrock out overhead unless I got lucky and somehow fished a HDMI and 12/2 house wire up there.

Check out the DVDO Air-P and DVDO Air3. It will allow you to wirelessly stream the HDMI signal to the projector. Do a YouTube search to see how well it actually works. B&H Photo has them for a far better price then any other place I've seen. The Vizio is a great option, but if I had a room like that I would diffidently be wanting a projector, hell I don't have a room like that and am getting an entry level projector (and the Vizio M501Di-A2R). smile.gif
post #5860 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I calibrated an M501d-A2R over the past few days. I did not use a colorimeter or spectroradiometer so I was not able to measure the accuracy of grayscale, nor the accuracy of primary and secondary colors. Calibration was done with a Sony BDP-S5100 as the HDMI source and Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition as the primary reference source. The BDP-S5100 was set for RGB output (unless otherwise noted) as it provided the best results on the Color Space Evaluation pattern.

I used Normal Color Temperature and did not change the settings for gains and offsets from their defaults. In the CNET testing for the M551D-A2R this resulted in a perfect D65 white (zero Delta E 2000). CNET's post-calibration DeltaE 2000 chart shows a slight variation in white from D65. The pre vs. post calibration charts for RGB balance also seem to support this. In scanning this thread I found that some confusion apparently exists in using these settings to address "red push" or "blue push". Color push is a function of the color decoder and does not affect grayscale. Color offsets and gains affect only the grayscale and not the color decoder.

Picture Mode - Computer -- After testing with Calibrated and Game modes, I found that Computer mode resulted in significantly less banding in blue ramps than the other modes, with no apparent adverse effects (referencing the Color Space Evaluation pattern).

Backlight - (Auto Brightness set to Mid) -- The TV is being used in a room that varies considerably in ambient lighting throughout the day. I believe automatic backlighting control to be an entirely appropriate way of addressing this. Variance of the backlighting is what I consider the only acceptable method of changing brightness to taste as it does not effect black level or clipping.

Brightness - 53 -- Achieves correct black level with 16 not visible and 17 barely visible. (Brightness pattern and verified with AVS HD 709)

Contrast - 64 -- Any higher setting results in clipping of red. No clipping of White, Red, Green or Blue at 64. (Contrast Y, Red, Green & Blue patterns)

Color - 48 -- Set referencing Color and Tint Blue pattern (with both RGB and YCbCr output from Sony BDP-S5100). Verified that any higher setting results in clipping of Cb and Cr in Contrast Cb and Cr patterns.

Tint - (-4) -- Set with Color and Tint Blue pattern. Verified with Color and Tint Red pattern. Verified both with RGB and YCbCr output from Sony BDP-S5100.

Sharpness - 0 -- Set with Sharpness pattern. 1080p is perfectly rendered without loss of detail with sharpness at zero. Any sharpness setting above zero is adding false information to picture in order to create illusion of increased sharpness (as evidenced by increased brightness in the gray bordering a gray/black transition).

Advanced Settings:
Everything but Auto Brightness Control is set to off (I tried Smart Dimming but find the resultant blooming unacceptable).
Film Mode set to Auto

I was rather surprised by the skewed tint. My understanding is that on most modern HDTVs, zero is the correct tint setting. Thanks to jdahlum's post I caught the apparent fact that this is not true of the Vizio M-Series. -4 Tint was also required to get Cb and Cr to begin clipping at the same Color setting (49).

I also checked for "red push" or any color decoder inaccuracies. I found that correct color setting using the Color and Tint Red pattern required a Color setting of 50, indicating that the red output of the color decoder is actually slightly less than the blue output. Both Color and Tint Red & Blue patterns required a Tint setting of -4. I found green impossible to evaluate as the only available green filter allowed a significant amount of blue bleed. However there was a change in green output between RGB and YCbCr sources while there is no change to red or blue output. I believe I have a method to test green that I will try at some future time.

Copying these settings to broadcast TV reception looks good overall, but some night scenes and other dark material look overly dark. Has anyone been able to verify that the black level for broadcast TV matches that of the HDMI inputs? I don't know of any practical method of doing this short of catching a test pattern being broadcast, which I think is a very rare event now.
RojasTKD likes this.
post #5861 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried this on my 50" M - blues looked muted, and although the white point was improved the lack of warmth primarily in the skin tones was apparent. Perhaps your set does not display this much of a shift with your settings. Only owned the TV for a few days and still can't settle on a "perfect" setting, which I am sure there isn't one lol.

I have a fever and the only cure is more Blu-Ray....
post #5862 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
M501 - I tried to switch to YouTube last night and it seemed to freeze up. Had to unplug it and plug it back in. I also decided to turn on the power indicator because having it off was a PITA - wasn't sure if the set was on or off when it froze up.
post #5863 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone experienced any audio lag using the optical output from the TV to an AVR? I made a thread about it. I have potentially 4 A/V sources counting the TV apps like Netflix and YouTube, but only 3 optical inputs on my AVR. I really can't be running separate audio cables for every single source.
post #5864 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post

I've calibrated to both of the settings floating around out there... IS IT JUST ME or is this tv kind of dim. It doesn't seem very vibrant at all. Nothings really poping nicely....

Try calibrated dark and turn up the backlight.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #5865 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Does anyone have a list of the supported file types of the USB port on the M401iA3? .MKV, .M2TS, .VOB?

Thanks.
post #5866 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Does anyone else have weird colors going on when like say someone on youtube is using a flashlight or something? Like where it should be black its greenish colors in the black.. 

post #5867 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I watch something via Comcast On Demand, like a show that aired a week ago or something. I get a prominent green line on the left side and bottom of my TV. Is that comcast, or my tv? It doesn't happen with Live TV
post #5868 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Hey guys,

I can't be bothered to read all 5000 posts.

I am the owner of a sony 65" 4k tv, and want a larger tv in the sitting room.

I have had my eyes on the Vizio MDR 70" or 80"

Is there any difference between the 70" and 80" quality wise? Does either have more problems than the other?

One of the biggest attractions for me is the passive 3d, like my Sony.

Also i wanted to ask how the vizio sound bar is. I'm sure quite a few of you own one.

thanks

post #5869 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Liked: 11

I recently bought a vizio m551d-a2r and I was wondering if anyone has used spears and munsil 2nd edition to calibrate it?  I am thinking about buying it because it has the 3d calibration too.   Can the vizio m551d take full advantage of the spears and munsil disc?  is it worth investing the 30$?  I am thinking about getting a calibration disc, but if the Discs posted  here http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration  are just as good then id probably do that instead.

post #5870 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Hey guys,
I can't be bothered to read all 5000 posts.
I am the owner of a sony 65" 4k tv, and want a larger tv in the sitting room.
I have had my eyes on the Vizio MDR 70" or 80"

Is there any difference between the 70" and 80" quality wise? Does either have more problems than the other?
One of the biggest attractions for me is the passive 3d, like my Sony.

Also i wanted to ask how the vizio sound bar is. I'm sure quite a few of you own one.

thanks
I have the 70" and also a vizio sound bar. As for you having the sony 65" 4k You will probably be disappointed. I love it but I also see where it could be better. If you are coming from a higher quality tv than I think you will not be happy. As for the difference between the 70 and 80 the only difference is the screen size. Same panel just difference in size.
post #5871 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaluca View Post

For TV I use Calibrated mode with some tweaks like lower backlight and watch blu-rays and play games in Game mode tweaking it to mimic Calibrated mode and everything seems to pop really good for me.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #5872 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterist View Post

I have the 70" and also a vizio sound bar. As for you having the sony 65" 4k You will probably be disappointed. I love it but I also see where it could be better. If you are coming from a higher quality tv than I think you will not be happy. As for the difference between the 70 and 80 the only difference is the screen size. Same panel just difference in size.

No, i will not be disappointed. 

They are two completely different tv's and must not be compared.

I actually feel, that an 80" would immerse me more. I know the 3d is excellent on the Vizio.

I also have an Oppo blu ray player that can simulate 3d. I know the vizio does not.

thanks anyway

post #5873 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Hi,

I just picked up the M series 65" a few days ago and overall I am very pleased.  The calibration settings from C net seem to work pretty well I only had to tweak the brightness.  One thing that I am struggling with though is the picture differences between TV and movies.  For some reason some TV shows seem to have a really bad soap opera effect and its annoying.  I cant seem to find any consistent reason for it... old shows, new shows, channels, time of day, etc... I ordered a calibration disk to fiddle some more...  Any suggestions?  

I love the TV overall and the 3D is amazing!  I also agree the remote sucks but I havent had the issues many others have.  The only other neg comment is a keyboard on the remote would be good and the gloss finish on the screen is too glossy, some times, depending on the window and sun's location.  I put up some blinds and a curtain and thats been addressed. :)

Bought it at BB, they honored amazons price including the $100 off for prime members, $1648, not bad :)

post #5874 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 05:23 PM

I was driving myself a little crazy over-analyzing things (I think I've covered over 100 pages of this thread in the past 3 days).  So I took the plunge and bought a 70" at Sam's tonight - praying I got a good one (or my wife might do bad things to me with a return).

Unfortunately I might not get it set up tonight, or the next few days (lot going on).  But at least it's in the house!

post #5875 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi228 View Post

Hi,

I just picked up the M series 65" a few days ago and overall I am very pleased.  The calibration settings from C net seem to work pretty well I only had to tweak the brightness.  One thing that I am struggling with though is the picture differences between TV and movies.  For some reason some TV shows seem to have a really bad soap opera effect and its annoying.  I cant seem to find any consistent reason for it... old shows, new shows, channels, time of day, etc... I ordered a calibration disk to fiddle some more...  Any suggestions?  

I love the TV overall and the 3D is amazing!  I also agree the remote sucks but I havent had the issues many others have.  The only other neg comment is a keyboard on the remote would be good and the gloss finish on the screen is too glossy, some times, depending on the window and sun's location.  I put up some blinds and a curtain and thats been addressed. smile.gif

Bought it at BB, they honored amazons price including the $100 off for prime members, $1648, not bad smile.gif

The soap opera effect should be being caused by the Smooth Motion setting which can be turned off in the settings.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #5876 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitrucker007 View Post

Does anyone have a list of the supported file types of the USB port on the M401iA3? .MKV, .M2TS, .VOB?

Thanks.

Just download TvMobili and you can stream all those files smile.gif after install be sure to set the profile as "vizio" because it defaults to lg

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #5877 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Liked: 30
If any of the 70 or 80" owners have a chance and wouldn't mind doing me a favor. Could one of you give me a measurement from the front of the stand to the rear of the tv itself? I'm either gonna pick up the 70 or 80 in the next few weeks and need to modify my entertainment center to accept it and don't want to push back the side walls no further than I have to. Thanks for any help yall can give.
post #5878 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Maybe a silly question - how should I get the 70 out of the box?

- Slit the top, turn it upside down, and lift the box out?

- Slit the top, lay the box down flat and pull it out (it's in there pretty snug)?

- Something else (I'd rather not destroy the box if I don't have to - in case I need to return it)?

My wife is a little ticked at me tonight and isn't in the most helpful mood.  I probably don't have a lot of her time to borrow to get this thing out and up on my stand.

Thanks

post #5879 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 PM

You will see 4 plastic tabs close to the bottom. Pry them out with your fingers. You should be able to lift the box.
post #5880 of 9545 Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 PM

Note that prying out the tabs requires some force. Also the box should be vertical brown side down.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page