Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayissuperman View Post

Very interesting. So game mode is definitely best! Thanks!

40ms is pretty decent for game-related stuff!  You'd really only care about lower input lag if you're a hardcore competitive Street Fighter player or something (40ms is 3 frames of delay in a 60fps game).

But the 130-140ms for other modes is enough to notice audio sync issues if your audio is being routed somewhere else before hitting the TV...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

I'm not 100% certain by what you mean by "Barely any uniformity". Uniformity means that everything on the screen is the same. So with a black screen every spot on the screen should be the same level of black with no shifts in color or brightness. If one side of the screen is a lot brighter than the other then the uniformity is poor. The same if one corner is bright, or if the center is bright and the edges are dark. In your photos they all look pretty much the same to me as far as uniformity is concerned. It looks like the upper right corner may be a bit brighter than everything else. The TV I calibrated was similar in the lower right corner.

Edit: I just went back and read your previous post on this. With edge lit LED I'm not certain if you can get any better uniformity. I can't really judge how bad it is from your photos, but it doesn't look too bad to me. I don't know if anyone else here has significantly better black level uniformity. I certainly have seen TVs that were worse.

Yes, i was just referring to uniformity issues i felt i was having. some suggested loosening the screws on the back because its possible they were tightened to much, putting pressure on the screen. Since loosening those screws seems that (sorry if im using the wrong term) there is better uniformity across the screen.

In my previous post i kept seeing like a clouding effect in the middle right side of the screen that's as best as i can describe during scenes when the camera would pan from left to right, travel channels bizarre foods is where i would see it the worst.

Before this set i had bought an LG LN5400 47 inch, returned it because the clouding or what I felt was clouding was so bad I just couldn't take it. And that set was known to have uniformity issues. And it was a direct lit set!
post #6033 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lashinski View Post

Is it calibrated? Is smart dimming on?
I have it calibrated to my liking. And smart dimming is off.

It was through Verizon Fios though, so maybe their 3D content sucks? I'm going to try a legit 3D Blu Ray and my PS3 to see if that fixes it. I'm seriously considering returning it.
post #6034 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM

i got my M501d-A2R 2 days ago from bestbuy (599$) and unfortunately it has pretty bad "flashlight" effect or light bleeding ?as you see on the lower right side,also i noticed the backside and the frame is much warmer around that spot.
tried to loosen the screws at the back and all the other stuff i read on other sites but it didn't help.
i think i'll try to exchange the tv .
its really distracting when i'm watching darker scenes even in 3D looks very bad.frown.gif

anybody else has the same problem on this model ?

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5240/qlc8.jpg
post #6035 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Got a report of 2 more uncommanded freezes and shutdowns on the M501 tonight. That's a total of 7 since new, and the 3rd day it's happened. Seem like once it happens, it will happen again about 10 minutes after it is turned back on unless the TV is left off overnight. Then it is good for several days before it happens again. A full power cycle was done once a day or two after the first time after it happened (because the TV would not turn off or respond to any commands including the power button on the back of the TV), but hasn't been attempted since.

This is getting very frustrating for the owners as they were used to a 24 year old RCA television that never did anything like this, and it's getting frustrating for me since I get the phone call when something isn't working right. I guess I need to go check the firmware version, although I'm not sure that's any help. Can Vizio customer support force a firmware update if you call them? This is the first device I've experienced that has updatable firmware, but leaves no control over the updates to the user. That seems rather unusual to me. Only a few days left in the store return period....
post #6036 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 PM

This is my 50 inch. I can barely tell in person, but this pic looks pretty bad for bleeding.

How is everybody else's 50?
post #6037 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM

I'm in love with my 50 inch. Of course I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to all these lighting and color issues, and I'm upgrading from a 4 year old samsung 32in so maybe thats why. I have noticed the smart dimming in action during dark scenes with white letters, such as opening and closing credits. Doesn't bother me though. Such a pretty picture either way. TV froze once, but I think that had more to do with me stressing the youtube app too much. Remote sucks big time, but I already programmed my harmony. 3D is freaking nuts. girlfriend and kids freaked out with the free surfing doc on 3DGO
post #6038 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 PM

I am planning on getting either the 65 or the 70 inch within a month or so money is not a problem but I was wondering which one would be the better choice because I was at costco today looking at both and I had noticed the the 65 had seemed a little brighter looking like more vibrant.I am just wondering what set either the 65 or 70 inch model you guys think I should get.
post #6039 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post

This is my 50 inch. I can barely tell in person, but this pic looks pretty bad for bleeding.

I switched off my D* box so it just had the black screen with "No Signal" in the middle, and I could not see any discernible light bleeding. I pointed my iPhone camera at it and the image on the iPhone screen looked like your pic for a few seconds until the camera adjusted, then looked uniform black all across.

I think your camera is just greatly exaggerating things.
post #6040 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by besike View Post

i got my M501d-A2R 2 days ago from bestbuy (599$) and unfortunately it has pretty bad "flashlight" effect or light bleeding ?as you see on the lower right side,also i noticed the backside and the frame is much warmer around that spot.
tried to loosen the screws at the back and all the other stuff i read on other sites but it didn't help.
i think i'll try to exchange the tv .
its really distracting when i'm watching darker scenes even in 3D looks very bad.frown.gif

anybody else has the same problem on this model ?

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5240/qlc8.jpg

Quote:

that's good if you can't tell in person,on my set you can tell,it looks like somebody had sprayed a thin layer of paint on the corner.
post #6041 of 9672 Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG585 View Post

I am planning on getting either the 65 or the 70 inch within a month or so money is not a problem but I was wondering which one would be the better choice because I was at costco today looking at both and I had noticed the the 65 had seemed a little brighter looking like more vibrant.I am just wondering what set either the 65 or 70 inch model you guys think I should get.

if you are not in the hurry and $$ not a problem i would wait for the new lineup.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/vizios-xvt-ultra-hdtv-hands-on/

http://gizmodo.com/5973807/vizios-xvt-hands-on-a-gorgeous-4k-tv-you-might-actually-be-able-to-afford
post #6042 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 12:42 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by besike View Post

if you are not in the hurry and $$ not a problem i would wait for the new lineup.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/vizios-xvt-ultra-hdtv-hands-on/

http://gizmodo.com/5973807/vizios-xvt-hands-on-a-gorgeous-4k-tv-you-might-actually-be-able-to-afford
That's what I'm waiting for, hopefully they come out in the first quarter.
post #6043 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 AM

Liked: 14
After exchanging my broken 50" M series for an open box 55" M series today, I'm very happy. The extra five inches make a big difference. Coming from a 7 year old 42 inch LCD the fifty was an improvement, but the 55 inch M551D was a very noticeable improvement. It looks very good and so far I'm pleased. Now if this one doesn't break after the first day I'll be very thrilled!

Kinda glad the first set broke, because I REALLY like the extra 5 inches of the M551D.
post #6044 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewwww View Post

40ms is pretty decent for game-related stuff!  You'd really only care about lower input lag if you're a hardcore competitive Street Fighter player or something (40ms is 3 frames of delay in a 60fps game).

But the 130-140ms for other modes is enough to notice audio sync issues if your audio is being routed somewhere else before hitting the TV...

Could you run your hardware input lag tester in game mode with smooth motion set to high? There has been speculation in this thread that it maintains the low input lag while forcing a higher refresh rate, but it has not been confirmed.
post #6045 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I had the 65" and took it back. Major panel bleed and hot spot in upper left corner. After doing more research, found out the the M-series in the 55" and 65" inch have panel problems. So I took it back and got the 70". Couldn't be happier. Amazing tv and perfect panel. No bleeding in the corners and a very solid and black panel. Plus the 70" panel is less glossy. More of a semi-matte panel which is nicer. So I'd say go for the 70" all day smile.gif
post #6046 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 AM

I can keep the 50 Vizio that I got for $599

OR

Get the Sony 50 R550A for a cheaper price than the Vizio through a connection.

What would you do?
post #6047 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My M50 comes today and should be at my house for when I get home from work. Can't wait to set it up and see how it is. hopefully the bleed won't be bad.
post #6048 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:

OR

What would you do?

Again, if you can't tell in person there is bleed, that is a good thing. That is what you want. Keep the panel.
post #6049 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM

@chrisG54 thanks a lot that's what I was thinking is the 70 inch as clear and vibriant because at costco the 65 inch seemed to have better color detail like it was brighter or somerhing or is it just me and also is the 70 inch good for gaming because I am also getting a ps4 soon?
post #6050 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM

I have this same issue with myHR44 genie. I have the genie feeding the m80 via hdmi, then optical out to my sonos sound bar.

The delay is at times tolerable. However, other times it is unbearable. You will also notice, if you change from a channel broadcasting non DD, to one broadcasting DD, the issue is worse. Going from a DD channel to another, almost corrects the issue. Note: almost but not quite.

Frustrating part is that my other sources are all in sync, sony BRD, Apple TV, xbox one. So this is definitely a directv issue I can't seem to resolve. I can even replicate the issue on a 42" panny plasma in a guest bedroom. However, with that screen size, it is much more difficult to discern. Would love to hear some feedback from others trying the channel change. I'll also turn off DD on the genie and see what the results are like. Will definitely be upset if that corrects the issue. Grrrrr.....

Severum
post #6051 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Watched The Hobbit in 3D on my new 50" and It was amazing! Seemed much better than When I saw it in 3D last year in the theater. Now I just need a good settings setup for the m50. Is there one posted yet?
post #6052 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severum88 View Post

I have this same issue with myHR44 genie. I have the genie feeding the m80 via hdmi, then optical out to my sonos sound bar.

The delay is at times tolerable. However, other times it is unbearable. You will also notice, if you change from a channel broadcasting non DD, to one broadcasting DD, the issue is worse. Going from a DD channel to another, almost corrects the issue. Note: almost but not quite.

Frustrating part is that my other sources are all in sync, sony BRD, Apple TV, xbox one. So this is definitely a directv issue I can't seem to resolve. I can even replicate the issue on a 42" panny plasma in a guest bedroom. However, with that screen size, it is much more difficult to discern. Would love to hear some feedback from others trying the channel change. I'll also turn off DD on the genie and see what the results are like. Will definitely be upset if that corrects the issue. Grrrrr.....

Severum

What if you run optical directly from your HR44 to your sound bar? That's how my DVR was connected on my old TV and I never had sync issues. If I do that now, also no sync issues. It's only when I try to get both video and sound from the DVR through the HDMI cable, then send the sound on through the TV to the AVR with the optical output.

I tried turning Surround Sound and Volume Leveling to Off under Sound options (they were turned on), even though the TV speakers were turned off anyway. It seemed to help a little bit.

I really wanted to have just the one optical cable to the AVR from the TV so that I wouldn't have to switch sources on the AVR all the time, and also I'm not sure I have enough digital audio connections for all my sources (TV, computer, DVR, and BRD) which is the other reason.
post #6053 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OR

What would you do?

Again, if you can't tell in person there is bleed, that is a good thing. That is what you want. Keep the panel.
Do you think it's possible that it looks that bad or my iPhone camera didn't depict it properly?
post #6054 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

I switched off my D* box so it just had the black screen with "No Signal" in the middle, and I could not see any discernible light bleeding. I pointed my iPhone camera at it and the image on the iPhone screen looked like your pic for a few seconds until the camera adjusted, then looked uniform black all across.

I think your camera is just greatly exaggerating things.
I paused it between commercials perfectly to get this.

I noticed when going to a connection with nothing attached the black screen looks WAY better. Which leads me to assume the lighting is off when you do that?

Vs it being on like in my picture between commercials?

Or am I totally wrong? When it's looking for the source is the black screen on or off?
post #6055 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacam View Post

Watched The Hobbit in 3D on my new 50" and It was amazing! Seemed much better than When I saw it in 3D last year in the theater. Now I just need a good settings setup for the m50. Is there one posted yet?

Try here.
Megacam and lotohnz like this.

post #6056 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:

@chrisG54 thanks a lot that's what I was thinking is the 70 inch as clear and vibriant because at costco the 65 inch seemed to have better color detail like it was brighter or somerhing or is it just me and also is the 70 inch good for gaming because I am also getting a ps4 soon?

They seemed to be about the same to me. I think the color temp is better on the 70" once calibrated. Got to remember they love to crank up the back lights on those in the store. smile.gif
post #6057 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Do you think it's possible that it looks that bad or my iPhone camera didn't depict it properly?

possibly. You have to remember, these are edge lit LED/LCD tv, so there will be some blled. Some sets have more thna others. honestly, if you watch a movie with really dark scenes, such as The Dark Night, and the blacks are black with no bleed, then I would keep the TV. Also, go back a few pages and find some m50 calibrations and plug them in and try them out. also, make sure smart dimming is on and auto brightness is off.
post #6058 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

possibly. You have to remember, these are edge lit LED/LCD tv, so there will be some blled. Some sets have more thna others. honestly, if you watch a movie with really dark scenes, such as The Dark Night, and the blacks are black with no bleed, then I would keep the TV. Also, go back a few pages and find some m50 calibrations and plug them in and try them out. also, make sure smart dimming is on and auto brightness is off.
Smart Dimming is off on mine.

I though that was the general consensus?
post #6059 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post

I think most of us had random freezes with the earlier firmware versions.

Is there anyway at all to force the firmware to update? Calling Vizio customer support perhaps? This freezing and shutting down thing is getting ridiculous and there's very little time to return the TV to the store.
post #6060 of 9672 Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

The other is dark frame insertion (which I don't believe is used on the Vizio) where instead of showing the same frame for multiple refreshes, it alternates between showing the frame and either a darkened or completely black frame (similar to the shutter opening and closing on a movie projector). I'm sorry if this is difficult to follow. It is somewhat difficult to fully illustrate verbally without getting terribly long winded. In actuality "Smooth Motion" most likely does not change the refresh rate at all (even if it does it doesn't make any difference by itself), but only changes how the TV makes use of the panel's 120 or 240hz refresh rate.

I believe Vizio actually does use the dark frame insertion tech in their sets. That is how they are advertising 240Hz they call it backlight scanning. They use it in conjunction with Smooth Motion ™ to up the 120Hz to a “240hz” refresh rate.
KC-Technerd likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page