Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The state of my m551d.

My m551d running 1.06.10.1310 likes to turn itself off randomly. It happens maybe 3 time a week. My wireless devices no longer see the TV for DIAL support. Miracast never worked. WiDi never worked. The media player, which used to play my home movies in mp4 format no longer sees them on either my computer or my router. And the remote stops working randomly.

Does anyone know of a way to force an update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deverett View Post

2) What are your thoughts on the higher end HDMI cables?

I will explain this once and for all.

When signals were analog, quality cables could help prevent attenuation. Now that signals are digital, the cable either works or doesn't. Digital has two states, on or off. The HDMI interface either works or doesn't. There may be higher quality cables, but it doesn't affect the quality of the signal. Anyone who has ever had a bad HDMI cable knows this. If the cable doesn't work, you get frozen picture and blockiness and drops in sound. There are, however, different spec cables. The latest is 1.4a I believe. It has newer features like Ethernet or arc or 3d. Even then, the digital signal either works or doesn't.
deverett likes this.
post #6393 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The official vizio website specs list the 55inch as a 10-bit display with "1.07 billion" colors in total. I don't know if that answers the question about deep color or not.
post #6394 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

When signals were analog, quality cables could help prevent attenuation. Now that signals are digital, the cable either works or doesn't. Digital has two states, on or off. The HDMI interface either works or doesn't. There may be higher quality cables, but it doesn't affect the quality of the signal. Anyone who has ever had a bad HDMI cable knows this. If the cable doesn't work, you get frozen picture and blockiness and drops in sound. There are, however, different spec cables. The latest is 1.4a I believe. It has newer features like Ethernet or arc or 3d. Even then, the digital signal either works or doesn't.

^^X2
The only thing high end cables will buy you is that they MAY be built better and take more abuse. There are numerous articles out there that will back up JPTECH on this.so don't waste your money
post #6395 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i have a few questions, thanks in advance you guys rock

got the m501d-a2r

anyone know what would be the best 3d glasses some someone like me that wears prescription glasses all the time? I ordered these cause they are the only ones i found that seems specifically made for prescription glasses users, but i cant really find any info on them. http://dx.com/p/202660

secondly, will the qwerty remote work on my tv?

lastly can other peripherals be run from the usb port like a logitech wireless keyboard with the unifying usb thing?
post #6396 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicide View Post

One of my biggest complaints is the audio delay after pausing / FFWD / RWD on my DVR. I have a Vizio soundbar connected through the Digital Audio on the TV directly to the soundbar. I dont understand this delay and it is driving me crazy! Anyone have this issue? or know of a fix?

I have also not seen any firmware update mine is Version: 1.08.22.0080 Anyone w/ a later version?

This is one of the most annoying things. I hate when i switch from a menu to the guide or live TV with my Tivo and the sound cuts out for a second. Or if I pause it or anything else. I really hope this can be fixed eventually but I'm not holding my breath...
post #6397 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 10

I am new to the forum.  We bought a Vizio M401i-A3 from Amazon and so far, no issues.  I am a bit out of my league though regarding adjusting this set.  This set replaced a Toshiba 34HFX84 Cinema Series Flat HDTV Tube television.  We bought it from Crutchfield many years ago.  here's a link for that TV:  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RJQOfTnbVMq/p_05234HFX84/Toshiba-34HFX84.html

The Toshiba was so much brighter and the colors seemed so much more vivid than the Vizio.  When I mess with the many Vizio settings, I get myself confused and end up 'muddying' the picture.  The Toshiba was just easier to adjust. 

I have searched this and other forums for people who have shared their settings for this particular set (the Vizio M401i-A3) and not the family as the set size can be a factor in settings.  If anybody out there has what they feel are the best settings for the Vizio M401i-A3 or if you know of a link for this specific tv settings that people have shared, please share what you have.

Thanks!

post #6398 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:

The state of my m551d.

My m551d running 1.06.10.1310 likes to turn itself off randomly. It happens maybe 3 time a week. My wireless devices no longer see the TV for DIAL support. Miracast never worked. WiDi never worked. The media player, which used to play my home movies in mp4 format no longer sees them on either my computer or my router. And the remote stops working randomly.

Does anyone know of a way to force an update?

My M551D is running V1.06.8.1285 and I none of your issues.

Someone mentioned Vizio stopped pushing out the firmware update due to some issues. I wonder if this is it?

I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my TV just to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
post #6399 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

Has anyone tried calibrating in 3D mode with Spears & Munsil 2nd edition? I gave it a shot last night and ran into an unexpected result...when the disc and player (PowerDVD 13) are in 2D mode, the contrast settings show the gradient bars stepping as they should. However, when I enable 3D on the disc and player, All but the lowest two gradient bars are flat white/clipped.

I've never tried a 3D calibration so I have no clue if I'm missing something obvious. The set is in 'Calibrated' mode, no advanced video options enabled, with the source being an HTPC running NVidia GTX460 HDMI output.

Any help would be welcome! smile.gif

See my next post or two. I just did a calibration in 3D mode with Spears & Munsil 2nd edition on an M501d-A2R a few hours ago.
post #6400 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

When checking color accuracy using the blue filter viewing through the 3D glasses I do clearly noticed a change in color and tint. When viewing through polarized glasses must adjust to compensate for the glasses as you must adjust to compensate for everything in your view and environment always. What would make you think that wearing glasses that have an obvious shade to them any different?

I did a full comparison between 2D and 3D mode settings tonight on the M501d-A2R using Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition. What I found was that the glasses themselves make no difference at all on the appropriate settings. However, I did find that the settings in the 3D mode didn't default to the 2D settings I had set, rather they remained at the TV's default for "Normal" picture mode. Once I switched the picture mode in 3D over to "Computer", that also took the color temperature to "Computer". In other words, it took considerable diligence to make sure that all the modes were identical between 2D and 3D modes in order to have an identical starting point to calibrate from. Have different color temperature or picture modes between 2D and 3D, and you most definitely will get different calibration results. Once I was sure I had these set identically, I calibrated both the 2D and 3D independently. I checked the 3D mode both with glasses on and glasses off, and there was no absolutely no difference in settings required to achieve the correct results for each test pattern. I did notice that there was some minor polarization interference between my red blue and green filters and the glasses (just some small waves that were darker and would move with the filter). To eliminate light bleed through the filter as an issue, I also ran each primary color test pattern with the other two primary color's gain turned to zero in the color temperature menu. Every result I got was exactly the same for 2D and 3D, except that with the blue color and tint pattern, 42 was the resulting color setting for 3D, and 43 was the resulting color setting for 2D. The red and green color and tint patterns resulted in exactly identical color settings.

It looks to me like the hard part is making sure that the picture mode and color temperature are the same for both 2D and 3D modes.
post #6401 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the latest calibration results for the M501d-A2R, using Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition on a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player outputting RGB connected to the Vizio's HDMI 1 input.

2D

Picture Mode: Computer

Backlight: (100) Auto-Mid
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 63
Color: 45
Tint: -2
Sharpness: 0

Auto Brightness Control: Mid
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto

Color Temperature: Normal
Red Gain 545
Green Gain 472
Blue Gain 443
Red Offset 517
Green Offset 512
Blue Offset 514

(Blue Bars Color 43 Tint -5)
(Green Bars Color 46 Tint +2)
(Red Bars Color 47 Tint -1)

3D

Red Gain 545
Green Gain 472
Blue Gain 443
Red Offset 517
Green Offset 512
Blue Offset 514

(Blue Bars Color 42 Tint -5)

Note: The color settings of Color: 45 and Tint: -2 were an attempt to average the differences between how the color decoder handles different colors. This TV definitely has an unusual blue push in the color decoder. Hopefully someday soon someone will learn how to access the service menu and find settings to adjust the color decoder to eliminate this.

Also the color temperature settings are simply the TV's default "Normal" for HDMI 1. I do NOT have the proper equipment to calibrate the color temperature at this time. I found that, strangely, the default "Normal" color temperature settings for the internal ATSC TV tuner were different, so I readjusted those to match the ones listed above. These should be the ones that CNET used prior to adjustment that resulted in them measuring a perfect D65 color temperature.
brokedrifter likes this.
post #6402 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are, however, different spec cables. The latest is 1.4a I believe. It has newer features like Ethernet or arc or 3d. Even then, the digital signal either works or doesn't.

Quote:

Try testing out your set with a new HDMI 1.4 cable (1.3 will do but it does not have the audio return channel) and see if that works. If it's a no go it most likely is your HDMI board.

From "Why all HDMI cables are the same" by Geoffrey Morrison, CNET News:

In the home, there are only four basic types of HDMI cables:
High-speed (also called Category 2)
High-speed (also called Category 2) with Ethernet
Standard-speed (Category 1)
Standard-speed (Category 1) with Ethernet

Any high-speed cable should work with 3D and Audio Return Channel (ARC).
deverett likes this.
post #6403 of 9668 Old 12-16-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2) What are your thoughts on the higher end HDMI cables? In the past I was always in the group that thinks they are all the same and higher end ones make no difference. This is the first time I bit the bullet and got the "best" ones in the joint. The TV is is displaying amazingly so I may have answered my own question, just wanted to know where you all stand on this topic. My thought was "I spent a chunk of dough on this TV, what the hell, I'll grab some kick ass cables"

See my post #6153 in this thread.
post #6404 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 AM

I've been wondering for awhile now why people state what Blu-ray Player they are using when calibrating their TV. Does that matter or something?

TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

post #6405 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperman View Post

...anyone know what would be the best 3d glasses some someone like me that wears prescription glasses all the time? I ordered these cause they are the only ones i found that seems specifically made for prescription glasses users, but i cant really find any info on them. http://dx.com/p/202660...

I wonder if these would work? Aren't all passive 3D glasses pretty much compatible across the different manufacturers?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-AG-F220-Cinema-Glasses-LED-LCD/dp/B00540XS32/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1387274263&sr=8-8&keywords=lg+3d+glasses
post #6406 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidion View Post

I wonder if these would work? Aren't all passive 3D glasses pretty much compatible across the different manufacturers?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-AG-F220-Cinema-Glasses-LED-LCD/dp/B00540XS32/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1387274263&sr=8-8&keywords=lg+3d+glasses

I bet they would work.
post #6407 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I knew this was the case in the back of my mind but never dealt with a 3d signal before. The main thing I was looking for was the HDMI Ethernet capability and a good data rate. Didn't look at the name of the cables (learned that lesson a long time ago) just the specs. Walked out spending $40 so I didn't get gouged too bad. Man the poor people at Best Buy were all getting talked into get expensive Monster cables so "their TV worked right". Travesty I tell ya.
post #6408 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Xero View Post

I've been wondering for awhile now why people state what Blu-ray Player they are using when calibrating their TV. Does that matter or something?

Not all Blu-ray players are 100% to specification on their HDMI output, so yes that can matter. The Sony BDP-S5100 I am using even varies the amount of green output from the color decoder between RGB and YCbCr output, which means I need to check color level on green with YCbCr output (which is supposedly correct as far as color output levels) and tweak my averaged color and tint settings based on that. So I will probably be updating those again. Contrast may be effected as well as it seems to be interactive with the color setting.

Including the Blu-ray player used is good practice anyway, because at least in some cases a different Blu-ray player might produce different results.
post #6409 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Can any owners comment on the motion resolution of the m series? Specifically the 55". I'm debating whether to return my panny S60 and pick one of these up. My main concern is the motion blur while gaming, or while a camera is panning. I've heard that its very good in some reviews but they didn't go give much detail.

Also if someone could answer whether the blur reduction and De judder options are available while game mode is activated.

Fwiw my main reason for returning the plasma is because the TV just doesn't get bright enough for me.
post #6410 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugpanzer View Post

I am new to the forum.  We bought a Vizio M401i-A3 from Amazon and so far, no issues.  I am a bit out of my league though regarding adjusting this set.  This set replaced a Toshiba 34HFX84 Cinema Series Flat HDTV Tube television.  We bought it from Crutchfield many years ago.  here's a link for that TV:  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RJQOfTnbVMq/p_05234HFX84/Toshiba-34HFX84.html

The Toshiba was so much brighter and the colors seemed so much more vivid than the Vizio.  When I mess with the many Vizio settings, I get myself confused and end up 'muddying' the picture.  The Toshiba was just easier to adjust. 

I have searched this and other forums for people who have shared their settings for this particular set (the Vizio M401i-A3) and not the family as the set size can be a factor in settings.  If anybody out there has what they feel are the best settings for the Vizio M401i-A3 or if you know of a link for this specific tv settings that people have shared, please share what you have.

Thanks!

To follow-up on my entry here, the following are my settings for the Vizio M401i-A3 for Directv via HDMI. 

Picture Mode: Calibrated

Backlight: 100 (Default for Calibrated)

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 80

Color: 50

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 32

Color Temperature: Cool

Red Gain: 94

Green Gain: 77

Blue Gain: 220

Red offset: 128

Green Offset: 128

Blue offset: 128

Advanced Picture Settings

Auto brightness Control: High

Black detail: Off

Reduce Signal Noise: Low

Reduce Block Noise: Low

post #6411 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Is there any way to get a faster data rate on the M501's ethernet data connection? I have Crapcast cable internet coming in through the modem, then going to a wireless-N router. Running Speedtest.net on my PC (wired Cat 6 connection from router) reports download speeds above 32 Mbps. The TV is also connected to the same router with Cat 5e. I can't ever seem to get the TV Network Test to report anything higher than 12 Mbps (12xxx kbps), and it's usually in the 7-9 Mbps range. So where is the bottleneck?
post #6412 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Is there any way to get a faster data rate on the M501's ethernet data connection? I have Crapcast cable internet coming in through the modem, then going to a wireless-N router. Running Speedtest.net on my PC (wired Cat 6 connection from router) reports download speeds above 32 Mbps. The TV is also connected to the same router with Cat 5e. I can't ever seem to get the TV Network Test to report anything higher than 12 Mbps (12xxx kbps), and it's usually in the 7-9 Mbps range. So where is the bottleneck?

Just as a test I would run the cat 5 directly from the cable modem to your TV. If it tests in the same speed range the TV itself is the bottleneck. I can't see the router being the issue and honestly it sounds more likely that the TV itself has a limitation in network speed, caused either by the hardware or software Vizio uses to handle it.
post #6413 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Just got off the phone with Vizio support.

My M551D was locking up and crashing and other such stuff.

They told me to make sure there's a server in the alt DNS field because the TV actually uses it.

Also got a bunch of other information.

The M551D and others in this class will be getting 1.09.38.XXXX in a few weeks.

DIAL support was in testing and may not return.

Media Player DLNA support was in testing and may not return.

Miracast may not be in this firmware update.
lotohnz likes this.
post #6414 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12

Looking for best time to buy a 70M series. Looks like no price change for Christmas but wondering about new years, ces show,super bowl,etc. Anyone remember what vizio did last year regarding pricing around those dates?

post #6415 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

For kicks, I just tested on my VIZIO M401i-A3 which I have connected via wireless N and I get around 8mbps.  I normally get about 20mbps.

post #6416 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

See my post #6153 in this thread.

Quote:

Thanks. I knew this was the case in the back of my mind but never dealt with a 3d signal before. The main thing I was looking for was the HDMI Ethernet capability and a good data rate. Didn't look at the name of the cables (learned that lesson a long time ago) just the specs. Walked out spending $40 so I didn't get gouged too bad. Man the poor people at Best Buy were all getting talked into get expensive Monster cables so "their TV worked right". Travesty I tell ya.

Just to clarify things for all about HDMI. Yes for high definition video and lossy audio, all HDMI are the same. HDMI starts to differ when you require it to support the extra features that have come about, ARC, CEC, HEC -Ethernet, lossless, deep color, 3D, 4K and more. The HDMI Licensing LLC group has even been in discussion about changing the labeling system from the numbering code to actually stating the features that are supported by the cable so it is more transparent to the average user. I don’t know if I like that Idea I think the numbering system works well. I have included a chart below that will further explain there is more than meets the eye when it comes to using your HDMI cables to suit your needs.

So just make sure the cable you get meets your needs and that it is CHEAP is all. You will be set!

Brought to you by Wiki

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #6417 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Here's the latest calibration results for the M501d-A2R, using Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark 2nd Edition on a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player outputting RGB connected to the Vizio's HDMI 1 input.

2D

Red Gain 545
Green Gain 472
Blue Gain 443
Red Offset 517
Green Offset 512
Blue Offset 514

(Blue Bars Color 43 Tint -5)

3D

Red Gain 545
Green Gain 472
Blue Gain 443
Red Offset 517
Green Offset 512
Blue Offset 514

(Blue Bars Color 42 Tint -5)

Note: The color settings of Color: 45 and Tint: -2 were an attempt to average the differences between how the color decoder handles different colors. This TV definitely has an unusual blue push in the color decoder. Hopefully someday soon someone will learn how to access the service menu and find settings to adjust the color decoder to eliminate this.

Also the color temperature settings are simply the TV's default "Normal" for HDMI 1. I do NOT have the proper equipment to calibrate the color temperature at this time. I found that, strangely, the default "Normal" color temperature settings for the internal ATSC TV tuner were different, so I readjusted those to match the ones listed above. These should be the ones that CNET used prior to adjustment that resulted in them measuring a perfect D65 color temperature.

I'm going to have to try these settings when I get home. Would it make a difference being in game mode? Why do you use computer? Just wondering. I do everything through my xbox one so I just keep it on game mode
post #6418 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugpanzer View Post

For kicks, I just tested on my VIZIO M401i-A3 which I have connected via wireless N and I get around 8mbps.  I normally get about 20mbps.

Dang, I barely only get 8-11, sometimes even down to 7, on my wired connection.
post #6419 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI starts to differ when you require it to support the extra features that have come about, ARC, CEC, HEC -Ethernet, lossless, deep color, 3D, 4K and more.

You are absolutely correct about these differences with the chart you show in relation to each HDMI version number. What is incorrect is applying these HDMI version numbers to HDMI cables. The table indicates the capabilities of the HDMI equipment (essentially transmitters and receivers) built into home AV equipment, not the capabilities of the cables connecting those together. There are no HMDI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, etc. cables, despite how some marketers of HDMI cables label their products, and apparently what they want you to believe. The only capability of HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 that requires a physically different cable is the Ethernet Channel. Otherwise we're only talking about the speed at which the cable is able to carry data without error. As Geoffrey Morrison stated in his article, any high-speed cable should work with 3D and Audio Return Channel (ARC).

Also see these links from the HDMI Licensing, LLC organization:

HDMI Finding the Right Cable

Does HDMI 2.0 require new connectors?
No, HDMI 2.0 uses the existing connectors.

Does HDMI 2.0 require new cables?
No, HDMI 2.0 features will work with existing HDMI cables. Higher bandwidth features, such as 4K@50/60 (2160p) video formats, will require existing High Speed HDMI cables (Category 2 cables).

What is the difference between a “Standard” HDMI cable and a “High-Speed” HDMI cable?
post #6420 of 9668 Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone else having issues with CEC not returning audio (ARC) to the receiver on TV/Netflix/component if it is powered on when the input is on HDMI? It works again by toggling the control audio option off then on again, but that is really annoying to have to do constantly...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page