Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9668 Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone please respond with an opinion on the picture quality vs a tv like samsung. I have a 40in samsung with 15 days to return it. If the picture qaulity is close to samsung I'll bring it back but I need an honest opinion from someone with this set and had seen a Samsung
OptimusNeo09 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9668 Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Posted on Facebook from Vizio.

If you have any questions about the Vizio M-Series they can be asked here tomorrow.

M-Series TV Twitter Chat with VIZIO CTO Matt McRae

Make sure to join VIZIO and VIZIO Chief Technology Officer Matt McRae in our #VIZIOSmartTV Twitter Chat talking about the new M-Series TV line-up tomorrow from 12 - 1 PM PST. Follow the hashtag #VIZIOSmartTV for all the details and the chance to win a new VIZIO 32” LED Smart TV.

To participate in the #VIZIOSmartTV Live Twitter Chat:

1. Join us Thursday May 30 from 12 - 1 PST (3 - 4 EST) on Twitter

2. Follow the hashtag #VIZIOSmartTV

3. Follow @VIZIO and @mbmcrae to make sure you get the whole picture.

4. Answer Q1-Q4 to be eligible for the grand prize a new VIZIO M-Series 32” LED Smart TV!

Note: We will only be talking about the outlined topic and we will not be answering questions outside those topics.
post #633 of 9668 Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Whats all the issues with local dimming? Everyone knows it's not gonna be perfect on edge-lit panel.

Isn't there an option to just turn this off? If so I will be fine with not having it .... I'm not a massive stickler for the blackest blacks etc. etc.

Can this just be turned off?

Yea you can turn it off and have the regular washed out blacks that a cheaper LED would produce. The smart dimming is what I felt put this tv ahead of the E Series Vizio.

I dont think the problem is with it being edge lit. The smart dimming is not even with the left and right side. The right side is overly aggressive compared to the left. If you watch the video you can easily see the problem.

My M501D-A2R is going to be returned for this problem. I really hope vizio addresses this problem.
post #634 of 9668 Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou5 View Post

Yea you can turn it off and have the regular washed out blacks that a cheaper LED would produce. The smart dimming is what I felt put this tv ahead of the E Series Vizio.

I dont think the problem is with it being edge lit. The smart dimming is not even with the left and right side. The right side is overly aggressive compared to the left. If you watch the video you can easily see the problem.

My M501D-A2R is going to be returned for this problem. I really hope vizio addresses this problem.

He's right. "Smart Dimming", "Micro Dimming", "Local Dimming", whatever. It's not a "feature" that makes your TV better. Its simply a necessity to hide what the screen would look like without it; obvious flashlight beams in all 4 corners and a random cloudy mess everywhere else. You either live with overly-compensated, "dimmed" blacks to get a uniform panel, or you get fine detail in dark areas at the cost of a blotchy screen that ruins any movie with a star field or even credits on a black screen.

I'd personally rather have the illusion of a black, uniform screen. So Smart/Local/Micro Dimming it is. If you're considering any TV that comes with that as a feature, then assume you're gonna need it, and don't dare turn it off! biggrin.gif
post #635 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansou5 View Post

Yea you can turn it off and have the regular washed out blacks that a cheaper LED would produce. The smart dimming is what I felt put this tv ahead of the E Series Vizio..

I currently have the 70" E-Series Vizio and an perfectly fine with the PQ .... I just don't the DSE (dirty screen effect) that the E-Series has really .... other then that It's great.

So if the new M-Series has better viewing angles, 3D, and no Banding, DSE or halo/ghosting effect and still looks as good as the E-Series then I will be a perfectly happy camper.

I am wanting to pay more for these advantages and still know that I am spending less then I would on other brands but still have a killer TV.

It's not gonna be 100% perfect ... we all need to figure out if we want perfect we spend thousands of dollars more ... if we want great with a few little issues then we spend thousands less.

I think this M-Series will fit the bill for me just fine for the price.
post #636 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I currently have the 70" E-Series Vizio and an perfectly fine with the PQ .... I just don't the DSE (dirty screen effect) that the E-Series has really .... other then that It's great.

So if the new M-Series has better viewing angles, 3D, and no Banding, DSE or halo/ghosting effect and still looks as good as the E-Series then I will be a perfectly happy camper.

I am wanting to pay more for these advantages and still know that I am spending less then I would on other brands but still have a killer TV.

It's not gonna be 100% perfect ... we all need to figure out if we want perfect we spend thousands of dollars more ... if we want great with a few little issues then we spend thousands less.

I think this M-Series will fit the bill for me just fine for the price.
Despite the overly aggressive "smart dimming" I love this set! I am sure that the dimming can be addressed with a firmware update. In normal content it isn't as extreme as the slides I posted. I plan on keeping it unless something else creeps up.
In an earlier post mention was made of the "Smooth motion" being employed during 3D, it can be turned off by selecting Computer in the picture options. I did notice that with it employed in 3D it wasn't introducing SOE,but showed no crosstalk and gave the appearance of FullHD 3D without active glasses. I actually preferred it to not on for this fact.
post #637 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisishere View Post

Can someone please respond with an opinion on the picture quality vs a tv like samsung. I have a 40in samsung with 15 days to return it. If the picture qaulity is close to samsung I'll bring it back but I need an honest opinion from someone with this set and had seen a Samsung
As far as Samsung vs.Vizio unless you posted and I missed it, we cannot give opinions if we don't even know what model you have? I love Samsung! I do not like Samsung's use of VA(vetical alignment) panels. I have tested the F7100 and F8000 (and ES/EH models from 2012) at Best buy and can say unless you are opting for a 55"+ model viewing angles are some of the worse I have seen in a while. If you are dead center of the screen it is amazing, but move more than one couch cushion in either direction and it starts washing out.
The use of VA panel offer better black level and overall contrast, but my opinion is the trade is not worth it. I have seen non defeat-able noise reduction causing the image to appear overly compressed and overdrive trailing both color and black trailing causing areas to smear in panning shots.
I have seen none of this with the Vizio, so I would go with the Vizio.
post #638 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 AM

I have the es6300 40in smart tv from bestbuy.. so return it and go for the vizio? Thanks for responding
post #639 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have the es6300 40in smart tv from bestbuy.. so return it and go for the vizio? Thanks for responding
My first TV I bought for my self was a Samsung EDTV back in 99' and I loved that set. When I finally upgraded I went with a 330 series Samsung in 04' and my wife owns a D450 plasma. I tried the es6500 last July and was disappointed with PQ and gaming performance. I have since tried a Sony and the LG LM7600 from 2012 and minus the additional calibration offered by the LG the Vizio is much better IMHO.
post #640 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM

Thanks for ur opinion. You guys seem to be alot better at seeing flaws in the picture than I am. I've had the samsung for 3 days and to me the picture looks perfect. I just don't want to return it and be disappointed in the picture of the vizio specially if I notice the slow reponse from the smart dimming during movie/game watching. Again I don't have the eye that some of you have for spotting things with the picture.
post #641 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for ur opinion. You guys seem to be alot better at seeing flaws in the picture than I am. I've had the samsung for 3 days and to me the picture looks perfect. I just don't want to return it and be disappointed in the picture of the vizio specially if I notice the slow reponse from the smart dimming during movie/game watching. Again I don't have the eye that some of you have for spotting things with the picture.
I only noticed the dimming thing after someone was asking about banding. I ran the purity slide to test for banding/uniformity and discovered it. I have watched all materi and have noticed none of the slow dimming in normal content even when looking for it. I would not let it be cause for alarm.
post #642 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 10
I am really torn on what to do here, I really need a new set bad, my old Sony KDX30 is on it's last leg (sporadically turning off every few mins now) but has certainly served me well, so for value for money and features I really do like the Vizio sets but just am not sure which one and what size to go with. I sit appx 8' away from my TV, my current TV is a 30", and I realize as a rule of thumb the bigger and more you can afford is better but therein lies the rub, $$. I thought I was kinda set on the E390i-A1, but would have to order it in and is a 120hz but CNET reviewed it as really a 60 in disquise. So have been searching for days for an alternative, then saw that they are finally releasing the new M series but don't seem to have a time frame yet on the 40" so should I just "settle" or go with the M 32" or try to hold out for the 40" ?
post #643 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 06:38 AM

So I'll give you the final word on what I am going to do since you have the most experience with this new set. Will I know any picture quality dropped off switching to the vizio? Straight on or otherwise. If it looks just as good as far as the quality it really is a no brainer. I really have no idea what that vertical alignment that you talked about before is. I really didn't notice anything from moving side to side on the samsung. This is a bedroom set so all watching is pretty much straight on.
post #644 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 19
Vizio put out a press release stating that the M series is shipping, but it seems only a few sizes are available. I'm wondering when the 80 inch is going to be available. I'll probably just be ordering it from Amazon when ever they do get it in stock, but Amazon still has the M801d page taken down. I hope we get some info on this soon.
post #645 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I really want to thank everybody for their help.I just really funny when somebody struggling to buy a small TV like a 32 or 40 inch TV. Personally if its not a 60 inch or bigger, I don't feel like you're buying much of a TV. I was really interested in the 65 inch m-series but because of the hi gloss screen looks like I may have to wait on that 70 inch. I live in Brandon Florida and so far I've only found one TV at Best Buy that's hanging on the wall but they don't even know anything about it. I think it was only a 55 inch TV at best.
post #646 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone spotted the 50" at any of the warehouse stores?? Costco or Sams? If so how much off MSRP are they offering it for?

Thanks for reading.
post #647 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM

I was in a similar situation to you. I recently bought a 42" 420d and was happy with it in my living room. I sit probably 8-10' back from the TV and it looked great. I ended up springing for the 50" M501d and I'm quite happy with it at that distance. I don't know that bigger would be better in this situation, and it certainly has me reconsidering the 60" I'm planning on getting for it down the road.

I have a 40" Samsung EH5000 in my bedroom - nothing spectacular, and in a lot of ways, I'm disappointed in the PQ. It's tolerable but certainly not great. I thought both Vizios looked better than that.

From what I've been reading around here, most companies that claim 120Hz refresh rates don't actually have it - they use a 60Hz panel and do tricks to make it look like a 120Hz. I believe a lot of the 240Hz screens are often 120Hz with the same tricks. I think it's only the really high end TVs, like the F8000 and the like, that actually have real 240Hz panels as they're more expensive. I could be wrong though.
post #648 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I picked this tv up sight unseen yesterday at best buy. Got their only 50 inch model in stock. I have it hooked up to my cable, blu ray player, and wii u. i had a chance to watch a little tv on it last night and to just run a blu ray for a few mins to look over things and i would say we have a winner here. the picture is great and i don't see any clouding or flash lighting or anything. i really think we might have a great steal of a deal this year. i got it for $799 plus taxes
post #649 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM

I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed. I'm looking at the M401I-A3, but more for its Wi-Fi capability more than anything else. I have a Dish Hopper with Sling adapter in one home. I want to put a TV in a second home and log onto Dish Anywhere through that TV, the same way I would with a laptop/desktop computer, and access my Dish programming. This will save me having to open a second subscription with Dish for the second home. Does anyone know if this Vizio is capable of doing that. I've spoken with tech support for Dish, Sling and Vizio, but none seem to know enough about the capabilities of the others' products to give me a definitive answer. I know enough to know that what I want to do is possible IF the Vizio has sufficient Wi-Fi capability. Thanks.
post #650 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM

I was ready to pull the trigger on my first plasma (Panasonic ST60 series) to replace a 6 year old LCD and Vizio has just tempted me to stay in the LCD game. Looking at 60" size. Seems like both have pros and cons and my environment could handle either one of them. Tough choice.......
post #651 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 AM

Looking at this tv to replace a 10 year old non-dlp, 1080i, non-hdmi, rear projection Mitsubishi. I am just hoping that the Vizio will perform as good as my beloved Mitsubishi has. Never had to replace anything on the Mitsubishi. Just looking for something in the family room, and this tv has caught my eye. Any one have any thoughts on this new Vizio replacing my Mitsubishi? Thanks.
post #652 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just an FYI the Costco item number for the 65 inch is 906510 and I am guessing that if you change the 65 to the appropriate screen size such as 905510 that would be the 55 inch model and so on for the other item numbers.
post #653 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM

post #654 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 17
Hello all, Noob here. Was looking up reviews and stuff for the M501D-A2R as I got one on Monday.

So far I love the picture. Its a total upgrade for me as I replaced a 42" Westinghouse from 2004.

That said I have spent 3 full days with the tv. So far I really have no complaints. For normal, everyday Xbox'n or Blu-ray movie'n I see no errors.
The remote without the WIFI is terrible. However I programmed my Logitech to the TV and the issues are gone. I don't even have to point the Logitech at the tv and it just works.
Just out of curiosity, I also programmed the VIPDVR remote from Dishnetwork for the TV and it also was super responsive.
Some of you may want to try this.

I also find that in total darkness the set has slight bleed from the lower right corner. Nothing I can't deal with, but it is there.
I also think the left top of the TV runs super hot. Seems a little weird.

I love the TV tho and I shall keep it. Hopefully with the Updates for the remote and full screen apps this summer these little nags will disappear. I won't hold my breath tho. I like what I have, which is the important part.

TV was purchased at best buy. It was opened by someone. (whistles nonchalantly), so they gave me the opened box discount, I also got a 10% discount for memorial day.
They also threw in a three tier glass and black chrome tv stand to get me to purchase the extra 2 year warranty, and I was lucky enough to have the rewards points to buy it with. smile.gif

Out the door for less then 760. smile.gif

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #655 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM

I purchased the M501D on Friday.

I can't say enough good things about this TV. The picture Quality is awesome. I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever with the exception being the Smooth Motion. I did some reading on it and it I seem to recall that this feature results in the "Soap Opera Affect". Is that correct? Anyway, it makes the video look ultra realistic. I've confirmed that Smooth Motion can be disabled but i am actually starting to like the higher frame rates and have decided to leave it turned on at the default "Medium" level. My wife isn't 100% on board with the smooth motion, but i think she is getting there too.

I've watched a few 3D movies (streamed from the vudu app) and all i can say is "WOW". My wife and friends were also blown away by it.

Like others have noted, the displayed Time is not correct when you click the "Info" button, in spite of being set correctly in the menu.

I have also noticed the wierd remote control response. It seems like if I put a little pause in between button presses it will do what i want, but click too fast and it seems to hang for a second or two. Hopefully the fix will be via an update.

The only real complaint i have is that some of the apps are "sidebar" only, meaning that the app only displays in the left-most 1/3 of the screen. Facebook is one like that. So is Amazon Instant Video. There also doesn't seem to be a large selection of apps available from the yahoo store.

That's it though. As far as picture quality, i am 100% satisfied.
post #656 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Posted on Facebook from Vizio.

If you have any questions about the Vizio M-Series they can be asked here tomorrow.

M-Series TV Twitter Chat with VIZIO CTO Matt McRae

Make sure to join VIZIO and VIZIO Chief Technology Officer Matt McRae in our #VIZIOSmartTV Twitter Chat talking about the new M-Series TV line-up tomorrow from 12 - 1 PM PST. Follow the hashtag #VIZIOSmartTV for all the details and the chance to win a new VIZIO 32” LED Smart TV.

To participate in the #VIZIOSmartTV Live Twitter Chat:

1. Join us Thursday May 30 from 12 - 1 PST (3 - 4 EST) on Twitter

2. Follow the hashtag #VIZIOSmartTV

3. Follow @VIZIO and @mbmcrae to make sure you get the whole picture.

4. Answer Q1-Q4 to be eligible for the grand prize a new VIZIO M-Series 32” LED Smart TV!

Note: We will only be talking about the outlined topic and we will not be answering questions outside those topics.
This was a waste of time. Just a bunch of fake Tweeter's saying stuff like, "My only question is how do I keep my neighbors from stealing my fabulous 80" M-series LED Smart TV?"
post #657 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Here are a few more videos with Deadspace showing Smart dimming (see right side).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cksbGhBIxpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii0eR37H--Y
post #658 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've got a ten year old Mits 65413 that has been a very good TV (after I removed the glossy shield). I'm hoping to replace it with the 80 inch m series.
post #659 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Here are a few more videos with Deadspace showing Smart dimming (see right side).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cksbGhBIxpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii0eR37H--Y

Do you think that there is something wrong with your TV. Being that the issue is only on the top right corner. Or do u think that will be like that on all screens
post #660 of 9668 Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

Do you think that there is something wrong with your TV. Being that the issue is only on the top right corner. Or do u think that will be like that on all screens

I couldn't tell you. I have not seen any other videos showing from other users only people saying they have seen it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page