Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't want to upgrade my TV as you suggest.
I'm pretty set in my ways and I like things to last.

The flashlighting did get worse over time.
Initially I was able to adjust the TV so that it wasn't noticeable.
Like I said, the last time I watched a movie it was unacceptable.

If a TV is "disposable" as you suggest, then it would seem that an extended warranty should be a no-brainer.
I don't have $2000 to drop every 4-5 years on a TV. (the Olevia 747i was a highly rated TV at the time)
Squaretrade warranty is less than $200.

I realize that many extended warranties aren't worth it.
I don't usually purchase them myself.
That's why I wanted to give my opinion.
The extra insurance makes me feel better about dropping that much money.

I can repair almost anything of mine that needs it.
I can't repair a bad LCD panel.
I could replace it if it was cost effective, but it would never be cheaper than the extended warranty.

I've been a regular reader of LCD forums for a long time and I've read many, many stories of LCD's that have failed.
Many of those failures have come just beyond the manufacturers warranty.

After needing to have my second one replaced, I thought I would share my experiences.

I'm not pushing for anyone to purchase an extended warranty.
To each his own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 16
My old Olevia 242T is still humming along just fine in my son's bedroom. In some respects it is a better TV than the first generation XVT I bought a couple years later. I can't agree with Olevia's TVs being 'throw away' TVs. Wish they didn't go bankrupt.

Just got to open up my M701D last night and hooked it up. Watched a couple shows and a movie on satellite with the family last night. Haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet but my impression after one night is that the set is a significant improvement in every regard to my two previous TVs. After I get to calibrate and evaluate it better, I'll post my settings and my thoughts on the set. but I'm feeling really good about my purchase at the moment.
post #6663 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

My old Olevia 242T is still humming along just fine in my son's bedroom. In some respects it is a better TV than the first generation XVT I bought a couple years later. I can't agree with Olevia's TVs being 'throw away' TVs. Wish they didn't go bankrupt.

Just got to open up my M701D last night and hooked it up. Watched a couple shows and a movie on satellite with the family last night. Haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet but my impression after one night is that the set is a significant improvement in every regard to my two previous TVs. After I get to calibrate and evaluate it better, I'll post my settings and my thoughts on the set. but I'm feeling really good about my purchase at the moment.

Olevia became a throw away when they were still in business. I thought they were good sets and at one point I had 3. One needed repair. I returned to the seller, Fry's and was told that if I had bought a fry's warranty they would work on. If not they would not work on it, even if I paid, and it was still in the first year. I went around and around with Olevia over that. Just try to have one fixed even with a warranty. As for Fry's that is the place to buy staff like printer paper.
I to switch to Vizio. A brand that fry's does not have, GOOD.
post #6664 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Samsung UN55F350AF is currently on sale at Costco for $999 with a 2 year warranty. I have until January 15th to return my Vizio which I paid $948 for and with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-UN55F6350AF.product.100036997.html

I know the above TV is not 3D but it is a SMART TV and I have heard that Samsung's SMART TV implementation is far superior to Vizio's and the Samsung has a dual core processor and a full web browser as well although I do not know how well it works. I did see the picture on the TV in Costco and it was absolutely amazing, a bit better than the Vizio I must say. I don't really need 3D so the lack of it does not bother me.

However, I am also very satisfied with the Vizio m551d's picture. The ONLY reasons I am thinking of maybe returning and getting the Samsung would be...

- The Screen on the Samsung is Matte finish so the reflections problem is not there
- The Samsung *may* be more reliable in the long term, not sure how true this is... and in addition Costco throws in the 2 year warranty for free
- The SMART TV apps are faster and better implemented (so they say...I have not checked this out myself), Vizio SMART TV is crap
- The ad also says upto $100 of apps/music so that could be an additional deal there!!

Opinions? I need to make a decision soon as I have just a couple of weeks to decide smile.gif
post #6665 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone figure out the lip syncing issues? I have my 60" hooked up to my bright house Cisco cable box via hdmi. The lip syncing is often off. Anyone else have this issue?
post #6666 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpiloti View Post

The Samsung UN55F350AF is currently on sale at Costco for $999 with a 2 year warranty. I have until January 15th to return my Vizio which I paid $948 for and with a 1 year warranty.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-UN55F6350AF.product.100036997.html

I know the above TV is not 3D but it is a SMART TV and I have heard that Samsung's SMART TV implementation is far superior to Vizio's and the Samsung has a dual core processor and a full web browser as well although I do not know how well it works. I did see the picture on the TV in Costco and it was absolutely amazing, a bit better than the Vizio I must say. I don't really need 3D so the lack of it does not bother me.

However, I am also very satisfied with the Vizio m551d's picture. The ONLY reasons I am thinking of maybe returning and getting the Samsung would be...

- The Screen on the Samsung is Matte finish so the reflections problem is not there
- The Samsung *may* be more reliable in the long term, not sure how true this is... and in addition Costco throws in the 2 year warranty for free
- The SMART TV apps are faster and better implemented (so they say...I have not checked this out myself), Vizio SMART TV is crap
- The ad also says upto $100 of apps/music so that could be an additional deal there!!

Opinions? I need to make a decision soon as I have just a couple of weeks to decide smile.gif

I think Samsung has better Picture Quality over all, but then again I went with the 7100 series, which CostCo doesn't offer, but I did noticed that CostCo is giving a 2nd year warranty included.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6667 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
After sitting down with SpectraCal's CalMan 5 I have dialed in a very accurate white balance/color temperature at 6557K (6503K would be reference) on the M801d-A3. These setting apply to my set and I cannot speak if they will work across the board.

Color Temp
Normal
Red: 173
Green: 128
Blue: 109
Red: 85
Green: 101
Blue: 112
burritoboy9984 likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #6668 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayissuperman View Post

Anyone figure out the lip syncing issues? I have my 60" hooked up to my bright house Cisco cable box via hdmi. The lip syncing is often off. Anyone else have this issue?
What channel? I only get sync issues with ABC.

Aside, does anyone else have issues with the dlna renderer showing up on your network? This is the renderer when it shows up. NFLC Media Renderer.
aWWJElL.png
post #6669 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
Just a little history of Smasung and Vizio. a long time ago, Samsung was considered a very low end company similar to Olevia. I remember saving up for a Hi-Fi VCR and the only one I could afford was Samsung. I was just a kid but my was heart broken when my not even 3 month old Samsung broke. They had terrible reputation for a long time and was considered way below Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and JVC. After my VCR broke I vowed never to buy a Samsung product again. To this day I go out of my way to avoid them like the plague.

Vizio was started by William Wang. William Wang was the founder of Mag Innovision which produced some of the best CRT monitors during the 1990's. With Vizio he's trying to recreate some of his Mag magic. From the reviews, it seems like he's getting there.

I only mention this because I needed a small TV to replace my 10 year old Panasonic plasma which actually still has an outstanding picture but doesn't have a HDMI connector. I was hoping to buy a small plasma but to my dismay Panasonic doesn't make 42" plasmas anymore. I have a 60" Pioneer plasma and a few smaller Panasonic plasmas all of which look fantastic and have given me zero issues. So after reading all the reviews I ended up with a 40" M series Vizio. It's coming later this week but I'm getting worried with all the problems everyone is having.

So my question is what are the current issues that I should look for so I can return it if I need to? Is the remote really that bad or have they fixed it? Thanks!
post #6670 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

What channel? I only get sync issues with ABC. Seems to be all as far as I can tell. Some worse than others though.

Aside, does anyone else have issues with the dlna renderer showing up on your network? This is the renderer when it shows up. NFLC Media Renderer.
aWWJElL
post #6671 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorker View Post

So my question is what are the current issues that I should look for so I can return it if I need to? Is the remote really that bad or have they fixed it? Thanks!

If you are looking for issues, you will find them, with any TV. I have the 80" and it looks great. I say, put on a blue ray, or something HD, adjust the picture and if you like it, you are good smile.gif

The remote is so so. If you program a harmony to control it (or another remote like your cable box remote maybe), it improves range by 50% (the harmony), which makes it just about perfect. Now, I have the 1.09 update with wifi, and I can control the tv from another floor smile.gif So, once everyone gets the wifi update, there won't be a single issue with the remote.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #6672 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

If you are looking for issues, you will find them, with any TV. I have the 80" and it looks great. I say, put on a blue ray, or something HD, adjust the picture and if you like it, you are good smile.gif

The remote is so so. If you program a harmony to control it (or another remote like your cable box remote maybe), it improves range by 50% (the harmony), which makes it just about perfect. Now, I have the 1.09 update with wifi, and I can control the tv from another floor smile.gif So, once everyone gets the wifi update, there won't be a single issue with the remote.

Is there a way to set up the update on your remote, or see if I have the update. or when released/TV automatically updates, the remote will just be better??
post #6673 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:

The remote is a little annoying to use because you have to point it directly at the lower left of the TV for it to work but it does not bother me that much, I just know that if I point it in the right spot it works...it's not such a big deal for me, I can live with it. The HDMI ARC support is cool and well implemented, it controls my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver pretty well and I can even power on/shut off both with just the TV remote.

Light bleeding is there but so far I have heard that it is a problem with practically all edge lit LED TVs so besides buying a Plasma there is not much you can do about it as it's inherent to the technology. The light bleed is not that bad on my unit and it happens only when there is a bright spot in the center and the rest of the screen is dark.

Some of the Smart TV apps are fine such as MGO and Netflix. Youtube is consistent with the Roku 3 interface so I guess this is not a Vizio problem. Some of the apps are really crap like Amazon instant video, Facebook and practically all of the Yahoo apps. They appear in a tiny widget on the left side of the screen with all the info squeezed into it and the rest of the massive 55" screen is not used which is absolutely BIZZARE! There is NO WAY to maximize it. Who designed this crap? Perhaps Yahoo? But Vizio needs to ditch Yahoo and create better apps.

Colors, black levels, brightness are all satisfactory. Infact, PCMagazine rated the color accuracy on this set as extremely good - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422141,00.asp

An overall judgement as to picture quality would be "Excellent"

both PCMagazine and CNET gave this TV excellent ratings which I concur with. After further research it seems like the Samsung SMART TV browser does not support Flash and many websites are blocked so that is also an incomplete solution. Perhaps I will go with a Linux based HTPC in which case the SMART features of the TV are pointless to me anyway.

Most likely I will keep this TV as I love the way it looks, the picture quality is fabulous, the SMART features are there incase I want to use it and the 3D is an added bonus... for the price definitely A+
lotohnz and GusGus748s like this.
post #6674 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

The remote is a little annoying to use because you have to point it directly at the lower left of the TV for it to work but it does not bother me that much, I just know that if I point it in the right spot it works...it's not such a big deal for me, I can live with it. The HDMI ARC support is cool and well implemented, it controls my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver pretty well and I can even power on/shut off both with just the TV remote.

Light bleeding is there but so far I have heard that it is a problem with practically all edge lit LED TVs so besides buying a Plasma there is not much you can do about it as it's inherent to the technology. The light bleed is not that bad on my unit and it happens only when there is a bright spot in the center and the rest of the screen is dark.

Some of the Smart TV apps are fine such as MGO and Netflix. Youtube is consistent with the Roku 3 interface so I guess this is not a Vizio problem. Some of the apps are really crap like Amazon instant video, Facebook and practically all of the Yahoo apps. They appear in a tiny widget on the left side of the screen with all the info squeezed into it and the rest of the massive 55" screen is not used which is absolutely BIZZARE! There is NO WAY to maximize it. Who designed this crap? Perhaps Yahoo? But Vizio needs to ditch Yahoo and create better apps.

Colors, black levels, brightness are all satisfactory. Infact, PCMagazine rated the color accuracy on this set as extremely good - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422141,00.asp

An overall judgement as to picture quality would be "Excellent"

both PCMagazine and CNET gave this TV excellent ratings which I concur with. After further research it seems like the Samsung SMART TV browser does not support Flash and many websites are blocked so that is also an incomplete solution. Perhaps I will go with a Linux based HTPC in which case the SMART features of the TV are pointless to me anyway.

Most likely I will keep this TV as I love the way it looks, the picture quality is fabulous, the SMART features are there incase I want to use it and the 3D is an added bonus... for the price definitely A+

I agree the picture quality of this TV is pretty good to almost excellent for being an LED. Some of the M-series will have more light bleeding than other. Mine was just unacceptable. You can notice the light bleed all the time. So pretty much if you can find one that isn't as bad, I would suggest to keep it. I thing for the price, it is the best LED 3D 240 hz HDTV that you can get.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #6675 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM

here is the extent of the light bleed on my TV... as you can see in this particular image it's only on the left side because the areas where the bright spots "YouTube" and other text appear on the left whereas the right is uniform. BTW, the background is actually gray so this is not the black level LOL! and the granularity of the picture is more of a shortcoming of my Galaxy Note 3 cameras night mode.

20131230_195744.jpg 993k .jpg file

i'm not sure if this would be considered excessive light bleeding or fairly average for a edge lit LED unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131230_195744.jpg (992.5 KB, 75 views)
post #6676 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

So, once everyone gets the wifi update, there won't be a single issue with the remote.

Only if the Wi-Fi update keeps the remote from getting stuck with the light on and killing the batteries.
post #6677 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Liked: 24
The 2014 vizios are showing up on their website now

http://store.vizio.com/eseries/e390ib1.html

looks decent for 399
post #6678 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Here is an example of the light leaking from around the edge of my TV where the screen and bezel meet. Its like this on left side, top and bottom but not on the right. Is this common for LED sets? Does anyone else see this amount of light coming from the edges?

Also I noticed (may be expected) that when the screen is dark with something in the middle, such as a spinning circular loading icon, I see a band of light from left to right. This band alternates as the logo spins and shifts up and down with whatever portion of the logo is lit (hope that makes sense)
post #6679 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM

a couple of grievances...

1. I turn off my speakers because I have the vizio 5.1ch sound bar with optical cable.

2. all of my local channels keep switching to spanish audio for the "digital audio" selection. Analog stays on stereo.

3. the NFLC Media Renderer (DLNA/DIAL support) doesn't always show up on my network. It shows up like once a week for a few hours. Despite none of the TV settings being changed.

I have to reset these every time I turn on my TV.
post #6680 of 9670 Old 12-30-2013, 09:37 PM

20131230_214444.jpg 955k .jpg file 20131230_214014.jpg 932k .jpg file Blauter78, holy crap... that is not normal AT ALL, I turned off all the lights in my room and cant see a single led from the edge like you can. That looks like it is defect... the bezel should be flush such that you cannot see any light leak from the edges. Attached are some images from my TV for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131230_214444.jpg (954.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20131230_214014.jpg (931.5 KB, 40 views)
post #6681 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM

So i read on this forum [somewhere] that cables purchased at http://www.monoprice.com were the best. I'd like to get 1 [one] 6 ft. cable - for xbox 360 & 1 [one] 10 ft. cable - for my pc.

I got this link http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025502&p_id=9303&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj  from somewhere on this forum (can't remember where exactly) but wondered if this would be a good choice? Or is there something better?

My TV is a VIZIO M401i-A3 40" in case that info helps.

post #6682 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:

20131230_214444.jpg 955k .jpg file 20131230_214014.jpg 932k .jpg file Blauter78, holy crap... that is not normal AT ALL, I turned off all the lights in my room and cant see a single led from the edge like you can. That looks like it is defect... the bezel should be flush such that you cannot see any light leak from the edges. Attached are some images from my TV for reference.

Yikes, thanks for the pics, back to Best Buy today to try my luck with a new set. It's harder to see on brighter images, but anytime the edge of the screen should be dark, its very noticeable. It's worse on top and bottom.
post #6683 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

What channel? I only get sync issues with ABC.

aWWJElL.png

My M50D-A2R doesn't ever show up as an available renderer with any DLNA app, I figured the feature wasn't available. When does it show up for you? Anyone know if it should be available?
post #6684 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

The 2014 vizios are showing up on their website now

http://store.vizio.com/eseries/e390ib1.html

looks decent for 399

As soon as the M series in 70" is available I will be all over it. The picture should be as good as it gets on an lcd panel with no side light bleed.
post #6685 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM

Those monoprice cables are fine. Almost any of their cables will be more than adequate.
post #6686 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 08:32 AM

Thanks, I hope I get a good one. Just got a Roku 3 last night that I will be hooking it up to so I don't need the smart part of the Vizio.
post #6687 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor RoXo View Post

So i read on this forum [somewhere] that cables purchased at http://www.monoprice.com were the best. I'd like to get 1 [one] 6 ft. cable - for xbox 360 & 1 [one] 10 ft. cable - for my pc.

I got this link http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025502&p_id=9303&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj  from somewhere on this forum (can't remember where exactly) but wondered if this would be a good choice? Or is there something better?

My TV is a VIZIO M401i-A3 40" in case that info helps.

If you have Amazon Prime or plan on buying $25 or more worth of HDMI cables I would get them there. They are even cheaper than monoprice for the quality.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #6688 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks, I hope I get a good one. Just got a Roku 3 last night that I will be hooking it up to so I don't need the smart part of the Vizio.

I really like the Amazon roku app better than the vizio, and the netflix app is slightly better too. There's a lot of chaff in the roku channel store.

Aside, if you have an android smartphone, you can use netflix and other apps to play to the roku and the TV.

No youtube on the roku though. There's also a few good roku remote apps.
post #6689 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo2k2ndc View Post

Is there a way to set up the update on your remote, or see if I have the update. or when released/TV automatically updates, the remote will just be better??

Updates as sent from vizio in batches based on serial number. There is no way to force it or ask for it. It will come. In a couple of weeks, according to vizio.
post #6690 of 9670 Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauter78 View Post

Here is an example of the light leaking from around the edge of my TV where the screen and bezel meet. Its like this on left side, top and bottom but not on the right. Is this common for LED sets? Does anyone else see this amount of light coming from the edges?

Also I noticed (may be expected) that when the screen is dark with something in the middle, such as a spinning circular loading icon, I see a band of light from left to right. This band alternates as the logo spins and shifts up and down with whatever portion of the logo is lit (hope that makes sense)

I swapped out the set at Best Buy and this TV looks very similar. Top, bottom and left sides all show the LED light shining through. I don't think it's effective picture quality but I hate the feeling of potentially owning a defective set and potential issues down the road. Does anyone else this light coming from around the frame?

If I end up bringing it back again, I would consider spending 300 more for the Samsung UN50F6400 if it could provide equivalent picture quality without this issue. I would appreciate opinions from anyone.

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page