Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i keep forgetting to ask about this, what do you guys use to clean the screen? is it glass panel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperman View Post

i keep forgetting to ask about this, what do you guys use to clean the screen? is it glass panel?

Use lcd screen cleaner and a soft micro-fiber cloth to buff out the smudges. After it's clean, barring you don't ever touch it, you use same cloth once a week or once a month to wipe the dust away. At least that's what I've always done. I never have to use the cleaner, just the cloth to fan the dust off.
Sniperman likes this.
post #6753 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
So far my kid has kept his grubby hands off the screen tongue.gif so I've just been giving the screen a light dusting about once a week with one of those Swiffer things that slips over the hand-held wand.
post #6754 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

So far my kid has kept his grubby hands off the screen tongue.gif so I've just been giving the screen a light dusting about once a week with one of those Swiffer things that slips over the hand-held wand.

I'd be careful about using those. Some have an oily residue on them that's hard to get off screen, personal experience.
post #6755 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
The WII U is actually another good choice for running Amazon, Hulu and Youtube. Second screen is nice to have as well.
post #6756 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperman View Post

I just spritz a small amount of water onto a microfiber cloth and lightly wipe the screen.
post #6757 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeard View Post

I am getting a ps4 in a few days and need to know if this vizio supports full rgb.
Also, has anyone posted calibrated settings for game mode?

I posted settings using game mode on the last page. Based on the Disney WoW disc it appears that it DOES support full RBG (I saw the full range of dark/light samples). That said I'm pretty new at this stuff...
post #6758 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

I posted settings using game mode on the last page. Based on the Disney WoW disc it appears that it DOES support full RBG (I saw the full range of dark/light samples). That said I'm pretty new at this stuff...

Does you TV past this test without raising the brightness up to ridiculous leeels?

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16

If it does, what TV model do you have?

TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

post #6759 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Sorry if someone already asked this question before and has been replied may times.... Is there a (smart)keyboard available that we can use for all the apps on the TV? I have a 50-inch m series and its really getting hard to use the vizio remote for typing something in youtube,netflix etc. I would really appreciate some suggestions on this

post #6760 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

so have they officially stopped selling these??  Just looked on Costco website along with Vizio website and I cant find a lot of the models like the M501D-A2R and 60inch etc....does this mean they are fixing to release newer models?  I really wanted to buy a 40-50inch M-Series for a family member :(

I dont know how big of an issue quality control was with these TV sets, but I could not be more impressed with my M601D....i do not have issues or complaints.  I do not have "flashlighting" on any noticeable level with the proper settings and this is easily the best picture of any TV I've seen in my life.

i'm not going to lie and say there is ZERO flashlighting or bleed but with my set, even with all the lights off and solid black screens with white fonts etc....its barely there.   the funny thing is that I couldnt even notice until I read this thread and started to try to reproduce the effect...and now that I'm looking for it, I've yet to watch a single newer HD TV that doesnt have the issue on some level(most of them far worse than many of the pics posted in here).

i think honestly there were a bunch of bad sets that truly had BAD flashlighting/bleeding or whatever and now people are actively looking for the problem instead of noticing it on their own...and then getting concerned when they see the rare FLing/Bleed.  again, im not saying this applies to everyone, as there are certainly several images of TVs that were 100% defective....but I also see a lot of people who have mysteriously had one issue or another, with *every* single electronic item they've purchased.   possibly a case of being a bit anal?

post #6761 of 9949 Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #6762 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I am getting the impression that Vizio is clearing out the 2013 models. Many of the E series are oos and the M series are getting bigger discounts.
I would wait for the 2014 models but if like last year the M series will trail the E series by a few months and there may not be any discounts initially. If I get real impatient I may just purchase the E series and for go the 3D and save a some $$$$$ but there is no way I would buy another 2013 model regardless of the price. The example I saw on the Vizio site comparing a edge lit model to the new full array back lit model was pretty dramatic. The contrast and the black levels were a lot better on the new models and of course the will be no light bleed.

One word of advice to you is never make a decision or judgement based on pictures, especially the ones on a manufactures marketing website. They will deceive you. You have to see it in with your own eyes. If you are willing to wait a few months and pay a premium for maybe a better visual set then wait and see what comes out. You might not get a light bleed from the sides, but you might just get a halo light effect from the back lit Led. Just speculating but you never know until you see it. My m70 has no light bleeding and saving 600 bucks now is a no brainier for me.
josephpearson and andy A like this.
post #6763 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoirt View Post

One word of advice to you is never make a decision or judgement based on pictures, especially the ones on a manufactures marketing website. They will deceive you. You have to see it in with your own eyes. If you are willing to wait a few months and pay a premium for maybe a better visual set then wait and see what comes out. You might not get a light bleed from the sides, but you might just get a halo light effect from the back lit Led. Just speculating but you never know until you see it. My m70 has no light bleeding and saving 600 bucks now is a no brainier for me.
A well known principle in electronics is the "chump factor". No matter what you buy, six months later, you'll feel like a chump when something better/less expensive comes out. I'm very pleased with my M801d ($3250 on a price match from Best Buy three months ago) and expect to be very satisfied with it for some years to come. My Mits 65 inch rear projection CRT was a very good set for me for roughly ten years even though it was soon outmoded by much pricier flat screens which gradually dropped in price. I'm glad I bought it when I did and didn't succumb to the dlp period which seemed tempting at the time. Six to ten years from now, OLED may finally achieve its promise or there may be something better available. But the next GREAT THING is always going to be just around the corner.
--Sclaws and andy A like this.
post #6764 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Imo, the halo effect from full-array sets are much easier to deal with than flashlight/light bleed. Someone else might not agree though. My point, every tv has faults. Which one can you live with? Test them out and don't be afraid to take it back if it's not to your liking. Full-array sets with local dimming will always be best compared to edge.

Also, the dimming zones on the new Vizio full array isn't suppose to be that good, from internet chatter.
post #6765 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

A well known principle in electronics is the "chump factor". No matter what you buy, six months later, you'll feel like a chump when something better/less expensive comes out. I'm very pleased with my M801d ($3250 on a price match from Best Buy three months ago) and expect to be very satisfied with it for some years to come. My Mits 65 inch rear projection CRT was a very good set for me for roughly ten years even though it was soon outmoded by much pricier flat screens which gradually dropped in price. I'm glad I bought it when I did and didn't succumb to the dlp period which seemed tempting at the time. Six to ten years from now, OLED may finally achieve its promise or there may be something better available. But the next GREAT THING is always going to be just around the corner.

So true, we are still rocking a 2006 Samsung HP-S5053 plasma as our main tube, plus we can keep the thermostat lower in the winter. I'm sure most of the newer sets would blow it away, but without deep pockets it is impossible to stay on the bleeding edge of the newest tech. Find something you like and stick with it.
josephpearson likes this.
post #6766 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I recently upgraded from my Mits 50 inch back projection tv from 14 years ago. It still going strong without any problems. I feel kind of bad retiring it.  I could of used the set more but with new price cuts I just had to pull the trigger and get the 70 inch into my living room.

josephpearson likes this.
post #6767 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi, i noticed the same problem at best buy with the Vizio M501d-A2R.  Everybody looked scary orange.  The tv is exactly what i want except for the tanning bed people.  Did you buy this tv, and were you able to fix this problem?

post #6768 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 PM

Liked: 11
So i got my Vizio and set it up. For a LCD it's not bad very feed dependent. Got flash lighting around all four corners with the lower right being the worst. Is this normal? Remote is a little slow but it's usable. Still looks worst than the really old plasma it replaced. How did LCD ever win over plasma? Does anyone care about the actual picture anymore or is it the ipod effect? Small convenient but not as good as the real thing?
post #6769 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Xero View Post

Does you TV past this test without raising the brightness up to ridiculous leeels?

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3rokeesblog/?p=16

If it does, what TV model do you have?

Based on this test I would say its full rgb. I can see all shades. M551da2r
post #6770 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Oh I will see it before I purchase it, rest assured, this is not my first rodeo. If you truly have no light bleed you are one of the very few. I didn't think I did either until I looked for it (mistake I suppose), but once I saw it in a dark room I could always spot it. I will say it was somewhat content specific and certainly not an issue on anything but a dark background. Glad you are happy, but I wasn't and I had 3 of them. Money is not as important to me as a quality picture.
post #6771 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Also, the dimming zones on the new Vizio full array isn't suppose to be that good, from internet chatter.[/quote]

I would be curious to know where this "chatter" is coming from. Are they even available? There will certainly be some comments and reviews in a couple of weeks.
post #6772 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you are getting at, but you are referring to back lit that is not new technology but I think it was superior to edge lit. I do agree that there will always be something "new", but whether it is good or bad is debatable. If I am happy I usually keep my electronics for several years.
post #6773 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Also, the dimming zones on the new Vizio full array isn't suppose to be that good, from internet chatter.

I would be curious to know where this "chatter" is coming from. Are they even available? There will certainly be some comments and reviews in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

I've heard from various pro review sites that even though Vizio is expected to release full-array sets, don't expect there to be that many dimming zones. The black level and screen uniformity might be great but local dimming won't be anything special. Not sure how many zones the Sony HX950 has but the 2D picture has a 3D-like effect with local dimming activated. So, don't expect much from Vizio in that dept.
post #6774 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Not sure what you are getting at, but you are referring to back lit that is not new technology but I think it was superior to edge lit. I do agree that there will always be something "new", but whether it is good or bad is debatable. If I am happy I usually keep my electronics for several years.
If you'll re-read my statement, you'll see that I said "better", not "new." Unfortunately, even when something is "better", it will still have flaws. Have to remember to not "make the perfect the enemy of the good." Hope you're happy with what you get, I certainly am (and I spent a good deal of time researching and then adjusting my set--no flashlighting for mine either, including in a darkened room).
post #6775 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

I would be curious to know where this "chatter" is coming from. Are they even available? There will certainly be some comments and reviews in a couple of weeks.

I've heard from various pro review sites that even though Vizio is expected to release full-array sets, don't expect there to be that many dimming zones. The black level and screen uniformity might be great but local dimming won't be anything special. Not sure how many zones the Sony HX950 has but the 2D picture has a 3D-like effect with local dimming activated. So, don't expect much from Vizio in that dept.[/quote]

Please link them.
post #6776 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:

I've heard from various pro review sites that even though Vizio is expected to release full-array sets, don't expect there to be that many dimming zones. The black level and screen uniformity might be great but local dimming won't be anything special. Not sure how many zones the Sony HX950 has but the 2D picture has a 3D-like effect with local dimming activated. So, don't expect much from Vizio in that dept.

Please link them.[/quote]

I'm only referring to one statement, "not many dimming zones". I'm sure it's still going to be a great tv and it's unfair to compare an unseen vizio full array set to the 950 but one has many dimming zones and the other isn't projected to have much based on previous vizio models. Cnet referenced something to that effect.
post #6777 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:

If you'll re-read my statement, you'll see that I said "better", not "new." Unfortunately, even when something is "better", it will still have flaws. Have to remember to not "make the perfect the enemy of the good." Hope you're happy with what you get, I certainly am (and I spent a good deal of time researching and then adjusting my set--no flashlighting for mine either, including in a darkened room).

If you don't have flash lighting on a edge lit set you are definitely in the minority and I wish that had been my experience. I was not that fortunate.
post #6778 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:

So you don't have any flashlighting at all? I'm struggling with my set, I have some but not sure if that's par for the course or not.
post #6779 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

Based on this test I would say its full rgb. I can see all shades. M551da2r

That's interesting. When I tried this test on my PS3, I couldn't see all of the squares with my PS3 set to Full. When I set it to Limited, I was then able to see all of the squares. The only way I could see all the squares with Full on my PS3 was by raising the Brightness into the 70-80 range on my TV. I don't think breaking the calibrated Brightness on a TV counts as support for Full RGB does it?

What's your brightness set to? You also mentioned that your TV passed a test from the  Disney WOW calibration disc. Which test was it? I'd like to try it out as well as I also have the Disney WOW disc but don't recall their being any test to determine if your TV support RGB Full, but then again I've only tried using the Beginner section of the disc.

TV: VIZIO M501d-A2 

Speakers: VIZIO S4251w-B4​

post #6780 of 9949 Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM

D5xQi5

Them saying the TV will not output audio to a receiver when using apps is a total lie.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - dhg-hdd250 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page