Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 229 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Jim Clark's Avatar Jim Clark
08:44 AM Liked: 16
post #6841 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 622
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Yes the 65" is far worse than the 70" is what I said. There was a picture from a guy that had both in his house a while back and the 65" was much much worse. But this 70" is much more reflective than my previous two TVs. I'd describe the 'semi-matte' as being for more reflective than simple 'matte'. And yes, when watching news and sports it's not an issue. But my wife wanted to watch a show yesterday afternoon that had a lot of dark scenes and I found it difficult until I finally gave in a turned off auto brightness and turned the backlight way up. My wife didn't complain but she's not as picky as I am. This time of year, most of those type of shows we are watching after sunset so it won't be that big of a deal this time of year. But once we get into the summer months, it will. Like I said, it's manageable by adjusting the backlight so this is a relatively minor complaint (pretty good TV when you consider your biggest complaint to be minor) but wish I could 'set it and forget it' with the auto brightness and so far, I don't think I'm going to be able too. Still playing with that though.

Absolutely agree with the set it and forget it. I had to change modes on my former Sony SXRD rear projector, Vivid for daytime and Custom for nighttime. I have to figure out how to program my universal remote for a one button push to accomplish that with the Vizio. I also have to figure out how to change my Denon X2000 from Dolby Digital to multi-channel stereo with a one button push. "Should" be able to figure it out. My wife is clueless, I tried to explain how to do it (not that difficult), she has a masters degree and told me I had to write it down for her, women are not very capable with HT stuff, I guess it's a Mars-Venus thing.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46
08:46 AM Liked: 49
post #6842 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 373
Joined: Sep 2010
I guess Vizio is concentrating on picture quality and is also dropping 3D.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support
jetty's Avatar jetty
08:50 AM Liked: 10
post #6843 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 46
Joined: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Curious if anyone has any suggestions on something I see when watching a 3D movie! (has anyone seen this? is it somewhat normal to see this?)

When I watch a 3D movie it looks amazing except for one thing .... the bottom right edges (seems like more on the right but it may just be the spot I gravitate to when looking for this) and a bit in the bottom middle it Ghosts and kinda blurs a bit.

Seems as if the 2 picture signals that are merged are somewhat overlapping a little bit and not even and normal looking .... it's but kinda funny looking when you can kinda see two a certain object on the bottom edges and middle like that.

The rest of the picture looks stellar and I do not really notice this in the top edges (not at all actually) or middle like I do that the bottom.

Anyone seen this before? might it be the movie? The encode on the 3D movie? I download .MKV blurray movies so they are not 100% pure raw disc Blurays.

It's just a bit distracting to someone like me since I'm so anal about stuff like that .... though my wife and daughter said they never see anything like that.

Any thoughts or suggestions or if you have seen this etc. etc. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Thanks so much for the help. smile.gif

I have this on a 60" that I purchased last week. It's in the bottom right corner, about 12"x"12" and tapers off. It's definately a double image and it doesn't disappear if I move up, down, left, or right. The other corners are nice and focused. If I watch letterbox it's not so bad, but I find myself constantly monitoring the corner. I don't really have any of the other problems with the set so I'm still debating whether to take this one back and try another.
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot
09:02 AM Liked: 16
post #6844 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 343
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Absolutely agree with the set it and forget it. I had to change modes on my former Sony SXRD rear projector, Vivid for daytime and Custom for nighttime. I have to figure out how to program my universal remote for a one button push to accomplish that with the Vizio. I also have to figure out how to change my Denon X2000 from Dolby Digital to multi-channel stereo with a one button push. "Should" be able to figure it out. My wife is clueless, I tried to explain how to do it (not that difficult), she has a masters degree and told me I had to write it down for her, women are not very capable with HT stuff, I guess it's a Mars-Venus thing.

Haha, yeah my wife's the same way. I bought the Harmony a few years ago with her in mind specifically. However, she refuses to be patient enough to let the Harmony do its thing and tosses it aside before it goes through its sequence all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've landed and discovered I had dozen or so belligerent texts from her about how it's all my fault she can't get the TV to turn on or that the sound is coming from the Blu-ray player instead of the DVR and such. The good thing is that belligerent texts from brits can be quite humorous. lol
Justinss's Avatar Justinss
09:02 AM Liked: 12
post #6845 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 76
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Put in a "space" movie and activate local dimming to see if it's still there.

I tried your advice and set the backlighting to 55. The flashlighting went away but I feel like it effected the picture quality.
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot
09:06 AM Liked: 16
post #6846 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 343
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I guess Vizio is concentrating on picture quality and is also dropping 3D.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

Hmmm... I'm not a big 3D guy but one of the selling points to the family for upgrading the TV was being able to do 3D. Even more glad I didn't wait.
Jahjd2000's Avatar Jahjd2000
09:08 AM Liked: 71
post #6847 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 559
Joined: Jul 2006
I think we married the same woman! When my wife can't get the controller to work I picture that scene from Zoolander when the they're trying to get "into" the computer by physically opening it.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46
09:14 AM Liked: 49
post #6848 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 373
Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Hmmm... I'm not a big 3D guy but one of the selling points to the family for upgrading the TV was being able to do 3D. Even more glad I didn't wait.

I'm sure the 3D fans will be disappointed but Vizio concluded that most of their customers didn't care about 3D so they dropped it. I will probably be one of the early adopters of the reference series just to get what could very well be amazing pic quality. I would have liked 3D but when I had it I thought it was mostly a novelty. I expect the reviews and pricing will be out very soon but who knows about availability and I bet Costco will not even carry the reference series.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien
09:46 AM Liked: 35
post #6849 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 452
Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post

I tried your advice and set the backlighting to 55. The flashlighting went away but I feel like it effected the picture quality.

I never said lower the backlight. A lot of people like to do that when it comes to uniformity issues. You shouldn't have to lower backlight or decrease brightness to compensate for uniformity problems 'cause, as you said, the picture suffers. If you're not happy with it take it back. Don't settle.
Dr Ecto's Avatar Dr Ecto
09:55 AM Liked: 13
post #6850 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 2009
Here are all the new sets. Reference, P, M, and E.

http://ces.vizio.com
*UFO*'s Avatar *UFO*
09:58 AM Liked: 192
post #6851 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 1,395
Joined: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ecto View Post

Here are all the new sets. Reference, P, M, and E.

http://ces.vizio.com

Someone should start a dedicated thread for these models. I foresee many people getting confused with the 2013 M-series and E-series and the 2014 M-series and E-series as they look identical and have the same model name. Wish they would have changed this.
Justinss's Avatar Justinss
09:59 AM Liked: 12
post #6852 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 76
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

I never said lower the backlight. A lot of people like to do that when it comes to uniformity issues. You shouldn't have to lower backlight or decrease brightness to compensate for uniformity problems 'cause, as you said, the picture suffers. If you're not happy with it take it back. Don't settle.

I'll mess with it tonight. But after seeing what Vizio has coming out at CES I might return it and wait. About how long does it take for the new TVs to come out?
Dr Ecto's Avatar Dr Ecto
10:02 AM Liked: 13
post #6853 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 38
Joined: Feb 2009
I know there were several people on the fence and waiting to see what they were going to announce at CES. That's why I posted here. If anyone wants to start a separate thread feel free. Hope they give us more info tomorrow. I am very interested in the P series. Hopefully they can deliver on the price.
mxpx5678's Avatar mxpx5678
10:52 AM Liked: 24
post #6854 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 2006
I wonder when those new E series will be available.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46
10:57 AM Liked: 49
post #6855 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 373
Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ecto View Post

I know there were several people on the fence and waiting to see what they were going to announce at CES. That's why I posted here. If anyone wants to start a separate thread feel free. Hope they give us more info tomorrow. I am very interested in the P series. Hopefully they can deliver on the price.

I'm in for either P or R, but R may be a little overkill for my use and the price will likely be way higher.

I started a new thread for the 2014 Vizio series if anyone cares to use it.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien
11:05 AM Liked: 35
post #6856 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 452
Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post

I'll mess with it tonight. But after seeing what Vizio has coming out at CES I might return it and wait. About how long does it take for the new TVs to come out?

I'm not sure exactly. I think March/April.
PatrickGSR94's Avatar PatrickGSR94
11:13 AM Liked: 16
post #6857 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 555
Joined: Jul 2005
Whoa, so there will be ZERO 3D Vizio TV's for 2014? Glad I got mine when I did. We only have 2 3D titles at the moment (Tangled and Man of Steel) but they both look amazing with the M501's passive 3D.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien
11:20 AM Liked: 35
post #6858 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 452
Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Whoa, so there will be ZERO 3D Vizio TV's for 2014? Glad I got mine when I did. We only have 2 3D titles at the moment (Tangled and Man of Steel) but they both look amazing with the M501's passive 3D.

Passive 3D is definitely good but when ESPN pulled out of the 3D Market so did 3D. I know this is a Vizio Thread but I'm more excited about Toshiba's L7400 full array local dimmer. It seems like it's coming back(full array). Hopefully Samsung and Sony announce full-array sets.
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot
11:26 AM Liked: 16
post #6859 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 343
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Someone should start a dedicated thread for these models. I foresee many people getting confused with the 2013 M-series and E-series and the 2014 M-series and E-series as they look identical and have the same model name. Wish they would have changed this.

Weird. M-Series to have 32 zones for the local dimming. That's an improvement that might have waited for if not for taking away 3D. BUT it appears that the M-series is still edge-lit? E-series is direct lit but will still only have 16 zone local dimming. Looks like Vizio still thinks thinner is better.
PatrickGSR94's Avatar PatrickGSR94
11:27 AM Liked: 16
post #6860 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 555
Joined: Jul 2005
As for the little reflective surface "hack" to make the remote work better - it doesn't have to be a piece of metal. It could be just something like a small piece of white index card, bent and taped on the back side of the screen. Almost any surface will reflect IR signals. The lighter the better but a white surface will work just fine. I always bounce IR signals off my HT movie screen to the projector above my head.
PatrickGSR94's Avatar PatrickGSR94
11:29 AM Liked: 16
post #6861 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 555
Joined: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post



Passive 3D is definitely good but when ESPN pulled out of the 3D Market so did 3D. I know this is a Vizio Thread but I'm more excited about Toshiba's L7400 full array local dimmer. It seems like it's coming back(full array). Hopefully Samsung and Sony announce full-array sets.

First I've heard of that. I thought 3D was gaining traction and popularity, since so many movies are 3D nowadays.
88ronin's Avatar 88ronin
11:59 AM Liked: 20
post #6862 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 199
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

I'm really liking my new m701d, but this waiting for the firmware is quite infuriating. Why can't vizio do things the normal way?

For those who have the wifi remote enabled, does it at least work well? The remote as it is now is not so good IMO.

This is my second vizio. My first was the xvt553 and the Bluetooth remote on that tv was by far the best remote I have ever had.


Does *anybody* have the wifi remote update? Based on the nearly non-existant responses, it seems like very few people actually have this ... ?
Jim Clark's Avatar Jim Clark
12:24 PM Liked: 16
post #6863 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 622
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Haha, yeah my wife's the same way. I bought the Harmony a few years ago with her in mind specifically. However, she refuses to be patient enough to let the Harmony do its thing and tosses it aside before it goes through its sequence all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've landed and discovered I had dozen or so belligerent texts from her about how it's all my fault she can't get the TV to turn on or that the sound is coming from the Blu-ray player instead of the DVR and such. The good thing is that belligerent texts from brits can be quite humorous. lol

Blimey! This bloody thing doesn't work! LOL! It seems nearly impossible to make it simple enough for them.

BTW, what equipment are you flying? Just a bug smasher pilot here who hasn't flown in a long time.
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot
12:27 PM Liked: 16
post #6864 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 343
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Blimey! This bloody thing doesn't work! LOL! It seems nearly impossible to make it simple enough for them.

BTW, what equipment are you flying? Just a bug smasher pilot here who hasn't flown in a long time.

Latest gig is flying TBM 850. Love it.


Edit: OH! And your mad Brit text impersonation is way WAY too PG. ;-)
Mavinwow's Avatar Mavinwow
01:29 PM Liked: 145
post #6865 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 723
Joined: Jan 2007
I dont understand the new R-series. The type of consumer that wants that kind of display will want a separate AVR with real surround sound, not a sound bar. Seems like a huge misstep to force integrate a soundbar into the display. Really ruins the set.
lotohnz's Avatar lotohnz
01:41 PM Liked: 48
post #6866 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 300
Joined: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I guess Vizio is concentrating on picture quality and is also dropping 3D.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Hmmm... I'm not a big 3D guy but one of the selling points to the family for upgrading the TV was being able to do 3D. Even more glad I didn't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I'm sure the 3D fans will be disappointed but Vizio concluded that most of their customers didn't care about 3D so they dropped it. I will probably be one of the early adopters of the reference series just to get what could very well be amazing pic quality. I would have liked 3D but when I had it I thought it was mostly a novelty. I expect the reviews and pricing will be out very soon but who knows about availability and I bet Costco will not even carry the reference series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post

Whoa, so there will be ZERO 3D Vizio TV's for 2014? Glad I got mine when I did. We only have 2 3D titles at the moment (Tangled and Man of Steel) but they both look amazing with the M501's passive 3D.

Same here, glad I got in on the 3D when I did. When I bought the TV in June I thought 3D was something I would hardly ever use, but there is tons of interesting 3D (free!) content on youTube.

And The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition in 3D alone is worth the price of admission. The best home theater experience of 2013, imho.



btw, for all the newer M-series owners, it's worth reposting the link to the Official Vizio "M-Series" Razor Owners Survival Thread every few pages for tips, tricks, and calibrations.
Bodhi228's Avatar Bodhi228
02:08 PM Liked: 10
post #6867 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 5
Joined: Dec 2013

Anyone having issues with lip syncing? 

 

I have the 65", the lip sync issue is there (no big surprise) but its not consistent which drives my wife nuts.  I can correct it using the TV when the cable box is connected to it, but if I use my receiver it goes way out, as far as 112 ms.  If I change channels I have to fiddle with it each time.   I don't mind making the adjustment but it seems to change depending on the channel.  I see little if any from my PS3 or Xbox, but do see it with the cable box. 

 

Fortunately I can correct the lip sync using the TV settings when the receiver is off and also through the receiver settings when its on.  I have a Yamaha receiver and I had a SONY XRB52 before the visio 65 and NEVER had an issue with lip sync?

 

... is this a Comcast issue possibly? Since the signal is from one source I'd expect it to be consistent... is this a bad assumption?


Jim Clark's Avatar Jim Clark
02:19 PM Liked: 16
post #6868 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 622
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Latest gig is flying TBM 850. Love it.


Edit: OH! And your mad Brit text impersonation is way WAY too PG. ;-)

PG? My internet babble and texting skills are surely lacking.
jtl46's Avatar jtl46
02:20 PM Liked: 49
post #6869 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 373
Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

I dont understand the new R-series. The type of consumer that wants that kind of display will want a separate AVR with real surround sound, not a sound bar. Seems like a huge misstep to force integrate a soundbar into the display. Really ruins the set.

I sure the audiophiles will use their own equipment. I don't see how it ruins the set, it is about picture quality not audio but I bet it is better than typical tv speakers. I actually have a Vizio sound bar and I really like it.
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot
02:24 PM Liked: 16
post #6870 of 10307
01-06-2014 | Posts: 343
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

PG? My internet babble and texting skills are surely lacking.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/PG
Tags: sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3