First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread
Justinss's Avatar Justinss 12:48 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Which panel do you have? (A2R/A3R)

How do I find out?

jptech's Avatar jptech 12:48 PM 01-07-2014
so, Vizio has announced new TVs for 2014 and most of us still haven't received our firmware updates to enable the wifi-direct remotes.

I'm beginning to think we're not getting our firmware updates. It ships on new TVs, but still won't update by itself.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien 12:57 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post

How do I find out?

It should say on back/side of TV, "M55a2r".
burritoboy9984's Avatar burritoboy9984 12:58 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

What exactly is blooming? Cause the thing I can't stand with smart dimming is when it cuts from a dark to a light screen, and once it switches to the light screen it gets brighter a split second after (when the led stops dimming I guess). Is this what you are referring to by blooming? Reminds me of the fluctuating brightness on my 2011 panny plasma frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

No, I don't think so. It's when there's a lit singular object in a predominately dark scene and you can see a horizontal path of lightness (or a vertical path if the LEDs are on the top and bottom). The link below explains it in depth:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57572740-221/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

So is there a name for what I'm seeing? Is the TV messed up? Or does everyone have this delay with smart dimming?

Thx
Erik
tigepilot's Avatar tigepilot 12:59 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Our simple Sony universal remote has two of the macro keys programed to turn the TV and AVR on and off with a single button push (FiOS box is always on).

This is one button push as well. But since it's activity based, the remote has to remember where what state each component is in. If she hit's the "power off" button and the TV receives the signal but the AVR and DVR don't, there's sound but no TV. If she hits the "Watch TV" button trying to fix it, the TV now turns on and the other devices turn off so she gets the TV but 'no signal'. Previous to the harmony, we had a remote like the Sony Universal with macro functions. She never could figure out how to switch to the disk player and back to the DVR, which is why I bought the Harmony. It makes switching from one mode or activity to another also a simple one button operation. And by that I mean that, as long as everything is synced up, it doesn't matter what state the system in, all off or on but set to play Blu-Rays, if you hit the "watch TV" button, it will send all the signals necessary to have the TV on and the DVR on and the AVR on and all set where they're supposed to be. Essentially, all she needs to know is the "Watch TV" button is the button she presses when she wants to watch TV/DVR, "Watch a Movie" is the button she presses to watch a disk, "Power Down" is the button she uses to turn it off... that's it. It's supposed to be overall simpler to operate but you have to be patient and let the remote do its thing... and by patient I mean a second and half at most to power up or power down or switch input devices, it doesn't take any longer than the macro functions on other type remotes. No matter how much I tell her that she must wait for it to send all the signals out (and for those not familiar, there's an indicator telling you that it's doing just that so you know when it's done) she just will not do it.
tdeath's Avatar tdeath 01:10 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Ditto. I'm thinking about returning mine due to bad flashlighting. I bought it at BB so I only have 15 days to decide. I just need to figure out if I want to try another M-series or a different TV.
What do you mean with bad flashlighting?
The only thing that irritates me of my Vizio apart from the remote is the backlight in dark scenes...is that what you mean?
And which TV you have in mind to replace the vizio?
Justinss's Avatar Justinss 01:11 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

It should say on back/side of TV, "M55a2r".

Ok, I'll check when I get home. What is the difference between the 2?
Infoirt's Avatar Infoirt 01:25 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurg View Post

I noticed something similar on mine, but when I stand up a little bit, it goes away.  Is my set defective then, or is it just because of the vertical angle I am viewing the TV?  It is strange to me though, that the angle is only affecting the bottom right corner and not the whole image.  Already swapped the TV once from amazon for a different defect and want to avoid another if its not a real issue.

I don't think is defective. It looks like it might be your viewing angle. Your eyes should be aligned near the middle horizon line of the TV. If you are too high or low you will get misalignment in your 3d movies. Look at your quick start up guide. They show you how to properly watch 3d movies. My 70inch is set up to where my eyes are lighted up to the center horizon line of TV and the 3d viewing is awesome. If I get up from the couch I can see the bad misalignment and pretty much unwatchable.
slr001's Avatar slr001 02:06 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptech View Post

so, Vizio has announced new TVs for 2014 and most of us still haven't received our firmware updates to enable the wifi-direct remotes.

I'm beginning to think we're not getting our firmware updates. It ships on new TVs, but still won't update by itself.

I bought the 40" M series...

It updated from 1.05.2.0000 to 1.08.12.0000 about 20 mins after I plugged it in. Remote works perfect.
jptech's Avatar jptech 02:21 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slr001 View Post

I bought the 40" M series...

It updated from 1.05.2.0000 to 1.08.12.0000 about 20 mins after I plugged it in. Remote works perfect.

That is an old version too. Every model is supposed to be 1.09.38.xxxx
ankurg's Avatar ankurg 02:29 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoirt View Post

I don't think is defective. It looks like it might be your viewing angle. Your eyes should be aligned near the middle horizon line of the TV. If you are too high or low you will get misalignment in your 3d movies. Look at your quick start up guide. They show you how to properly watch 3d movies. My 70inch is set up to where my eyes are lighted up to the center horizon line of TV and the 3d viewing is awesome. If I get up from the couch I can see the bad misalignment and pretty much unwatchable.

Thanks for the info.  Good to hear that's normal.  I'll give it a try.  My TV is on a tiltable mount, so sounds like I just have to adjust the tilt.

Justinss's Avatar Justinss 02:33 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

What do you mean with bad flashlighting?
The only thing that irritates me of my Vizio apart from the remote is the backlight in dark scenes...is that what you mean?
And which TV you have in mind to replace the vizio?

By flashlighting I mean this

I cured most of it by turning on "Smart Dimming" but I still get some in the lower right corner during dark scenes in movies and I also get this white line across the screen when blank.

I bought this TV from BestBuy so I only have 15 days to return it. I'd like to wait until the new TVs come out from CES. So If I had to buy one right now, I'd go to Costco which has a 90 day return policy and buy the Samsung UN50F6350AF.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien 02:43 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Ok, I'll check when I get home. What is the difference between the 2?

Different panels have different characteristics. Some panels have excellent PQ but bad uniformity and vice versa. The a3r, which I think is 47", 60", and 70", has better uniformity but the colors look different than the a2r.
Justinss's Avatar Justinss 02:45 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Different panels have different characteristics. Some panels have excellent PQ but bad uniformity and vice versa.

The back says M501D-A2R
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien 02:59 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

The back says M501D-A2R

Try one with the A3R Panel if you can. The Samsung f6300 won't be any better in terms of uniformity and it's probably worse. Lower-end Samsung TVs haven't been the best in terms of screen uniformity the last few years. I know from experience. From what I saw in your picture, your Vizio doesn't look bad at all. I've seen a 100 times worse but if you can't stand it, return it.
Infoirt's Avatar Infoirt 03:04 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

By flashlighting I mean this

I cured most of it by turning on "Smart Dimming" but I still get some in the lower right corner during dark scenes in movies and I also get this white line across the screen when blank.

I bought this TV from BestBuy so I only have 15 days to return it. I'd like to wait until the new TVs come out from CES. So If I had to buy one right now, I'd go to Costco which has a 90 day return policy and buy the Samsung UN50F6350AF.

The buttom looks quite normal to me.  The side lighting is the nature of the side lit leds.  That is extreme case when everything is dark and you have one bright object in the center.   Enjoy your tv.

Padinn's Avatar Padinn 03:21 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Are you trying to calibrate for RGB FULL for PS4/PS3? If so you won't be able to use blu-ray player as it only uses LIMITED RGB. You'll have to upload the RGB FULL Square Test to your PS4/PS3.

Are you sure about this? When I used the WoW Disc it appeared to display the super white/black levels without issue on my PS4.
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien 03:28 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

Are you sure about this? When I used the WoW Disc it appeared to display the super white/black levels without issue on my PS4.

Super white is for blu-ray not games, at least that's how it is with ps3. RGB FULL/LIMITED look identical if your TV supports both but everyone opens that RGB FULL Squares Test in their browser because the browser, games, and menu screen on ps4/ps3 are in RGB FULL, if you set it to full but blu-ray isnt.
tdeath's Avatar tdeath 03:56 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoirt View Post

The buttom looks quite normal to me.  The side lighting is the nature of the side lit leds.  That is extreme case when everything is dark and you have one bright object in the center.   Enjoy your tv.
That's exactly my case, I have this m501d-a2r purchased from best buy and I have some more days in case I want to return it.
I have exactly the same appearance as you in that pic with that horizontal light coming from the right to the center...
I assume too that this is 'normal' cause the light has to come from somewhere but...is this normal or we have to consider it as normal and live with it?
venus933's Avatar venus933 04:28 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Try one with the A3R Panel if you can. The Samsung f6300 won't be any better in terms of uniformity and it's probably worse. Lower-end Samsung TVs haven't been the best in terms of screen uniformity the last few years. I know from experience. From what I saw in your picture, your Vizio doesn't look bad at all. I've seen a 100 times worse but if you can't stand it, return it.

According to Katzmaier at cnet the F6300 had good uniformity on the one they tested while the F7000 they had had clouding issues.

Also of note on why perhaps some panel sizes look better than others (in terms of blooming):

50" 6 Dimming Zones
55" 12
60" 16
65" 16 (running vertical though)
70" 16
80" 16
venus933's Avatar venus933 04:48 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeath View Post

That's exactly my case, I have this m501d-a2r purchased from best buy and I have some more days in case I want to return it.
I have exactly the same appearance as you in that pic with that horizontal light coming from the right to the center...
I assume too that this is 'normal' cause the light has to come from somewhere but...is this normal or we have to consider it as normal and live with it?

Yup, this is why I tried and returned 3 50" "M" series models. I didn't even try the Sammys ("7" series and lower) as I was very confident I would have had the same issues. The reason I gave the TV two more chances is because I thought it was quite good in most other aspects and quite sufficient for the bedroom. But I just couldn’t live with the light leakage.

Now with news on the AWESOME specs on the new "M" and "P" series I'm glad I did return them (I've been waiting for the 2014 CES to see if I would have better options and in Vizio's case they're coming through). If they execute the dimming and full array backlighting features well I may even consider the 70" for replacing my plasma. But that's a big "if".

By the way, the new "m" series models are going to be slightly cheaper than the existing ones.
venus933's Avatar venus933 05:27 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

So is there a name for what I'm seeing? Is the TV messed up? Or does everyone have this delay with smart dimming?

Thx
Erik

I believe the answer is yes, it’s normal on this TV. I like to think of it as the "dancing LEDs". If local dimming is done well its operation should be transparent.
88ronin's Avatar 88ronin 05:28 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

By the way, the new "m" series is going to be slightly cheaper than the existing ones.

Is there a link where you found this info on the pricing for the new 'm' series?
venus933's Avatar venus933 05:36 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Is there a link where you found this info on the pricing for the new 'm' series?

Here you go...

VIZIO M-Series Full-Array LED backlit LCD Smart TVs

(M322i)
$329.99 (MSRP)

(M422i)
$529.99 (MSRP)

(M492i)
$699.99 (MSRP)

(M502i)
$729.99 (MSRP)

(M552i)
$899.99 (MSRP)

(M602i)
$1,199.99 (MSRP)

(M652i)
$1,499.99 (MSRP)

(M702i)
$1,899.99 (MSRP)

(M801i)
$3,299.99 (MSRP)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/24381825/vizio-announces-2014-e-series-and-m-series-hdtv-collections-featuring-best-in-class-picture-quality-with-advanced-local-dimming-and-full-array-led
Newyorker's Avatar Newyorker 05:39 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Official one.

http://store.vizio.com/news/cat/news/post/vizio-announces-2014-e-series-and-m-series-hdtv-collections
venus933's Avatar venus933 05:46 PM 01-07-2014

Official or someone copying from the official it would be nice to have pricing on the “P” series...
88ronin's Avatar 88ronin 05:59 PM 01-07-2014

Nice ... $1900 for the new 70-incher is a great deal. But it seems like there is no more 3D on these new models. Maybe that's why the prices start so low now on these new models.

I know some people don't care about 3D, but it was something that my family wanted, so I'm happy with my current m701d ... and it's always good to know that the 3D option is there for any 3d movie that we get in the future. Also, my only condition on getting a 3D tv was that it had to be passive 3D (which the M701d does extremely well) ... none of that active-3D crap.
Newyorker's Avatar Newyorker 06:05 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Official or someone copying from the official it would be nice to have pricing on the “P” series...

It's also on the news section, here you go.

http://store.vizio.com/news/cat/news/post/vizio-announces-pricing-for-best-in-class-p-series-ultra-hd-full-array-led-smart-tv
AncientAlien's Avatar AncientAlien 06:25 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

According to Katzmaier at cnet the F6300 had good uniformity on the one they tested while the F7000 they had had clouding issues.

Also of note on why perhaps some panel sizes look better than others (in terms of blooming):

50" 6 Dimming Zones
55" 12
60" 16
65" 16 (running vertical though)
70" 16
80" 16

He also said black levels sucked, more or less. He also mentions that with test material, the bottom edge was brighter. Point being, minus the the VERY faint flashlighting on the Vizio, it's a better overall TV than the Samsung.
venus933's Avatar venus933 06:32 PM 01-07-2014
Quote:

Thank you!

I haven’t given UHD much thought as I’m not sold on its benefits but if they’re going to be this affordable (relatively speaking) why not? Especially since Netflix and Amazon will supposedly have some titles in UHD. Vizio on paper is hitting it out of the park! I guess the big test will be is how well HD and SD sources look on this set. It needs to at least look as good as it does on a 1080p set.
Tags: sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop