Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I'm torn between getting a 65-inch Panasonic VT60 now or waiting and getting a 65/70-inch Vizio P series! Depends on how the P series performs, I suppose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have the same problem with mine. Try turning on Smart Dimming and see if that makes it any better. If not, return it for another. Or return it and wait for the new 2014 TVs.
post #7023 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrecon487 View Post

I also am jealous of the new M Series because they'll have an actual keyboard on the remote.

I would be thrilled if the new M series keyboard remote would work with the current M series - I would pick one up in a heartbeat. The biggest problem would be that it would probably require a firmware update and well......we all know how that's going.

Why the current M Series didn't come with a keyboard remote is still a mystery to me.
post #7024 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I think if a company has a return policy for 90 days, then you can buy a TV and return it within 90 days if something better comes out. If Costco doesn't want people returning TV's after 3 months then they need to change their policy. They buyer doesn't need to change the way he shops because the policy is better then other stores.

Have you never returned something to get something better? What is the difference if it is within 30 days or 90 days. As long as it is withing the return window.

Your premise that buyers don't need to change the way they shop because of a store's return policy is a red herring - the overwhelming majority of customers DON'T shop that way (in terms of buying a TV as a rental) and it's a good thing too because if that wasn't the case then Cosco wouldn't have such a generous return policy.

GusGus is correct, Cosco and Vizio are doing just fine. But the percentage of returns does have an effect on the selling price. Hmm, who does that hurt?

To answer your question, yes I have returned TVs before but never on the premise that I'm knowingly going to return one. You darn well know on some level that buying a TV as a 3 month rental is unprincipled because it's not the intention of Cosco’s return policy. I'm not sure if you're advocating this but it sure was the intent of the poster I was responding to.

This subject was brought up 7~8 months ago plus or minus a month and a representative from Cosco actually posted here and made it clear if their policy is abused by enough customers they would have to reconsider their return policy.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #7025 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Came home tonight with a 2013 70" M A3R

Very happy with it.

Remote not as bad as I was expecting.
post #7026 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Your premise that buyers don't need to change the way they shop because of a store's return policy is a red herring - the overwhelming majority of customers DON'T shop that way (in terms of buying a TV as a rental) and it's a good thing too because if that wasn't the case then Cosco wouldn't have such a generous return policy.

GusGus is correct, Cosco and Vizio are doing just fine. But the percentage of returns does have an effect on the selling price. Hmm, who does that hurt?

To answer your question, yes I have returned TVs before but never on the premise that I'm knowingly going to return one. You darn well know on some level that buying a TV as a 3 month rental is unprincipled because it's not the intention of Cosco’s return policy. I'm not sure if you're advocating this but it sure was the intent of the poster I was responding to.

This subject was brought up 7~8 months ago plus or minus a month and a representative from Cosco actually posted here and made it clear if their policy is abused by enough customers they would have to reconsider their return policy.
Not really to do with Costco and their return policy but all these manufacturers should allow everyone who bought an edge lit led POS from them to return the TV when they finally produce something that doesn't look like crap with clouding and flashlighting. These companies should be ashamed of themselves to put out such crap and then charge thousand's of dollars for it.

I can understand different levels of black but when a TV cannot even produce a black screen without having blue clouds all over it, and when someone is in a corner with a black jacket on and it looks like someone is shining a flashlight on him from the corner of the TV, that is pretty much selling a defective TV right from the start saying there is nothing wrong with that.

It is frustrating that people bought these things in masses. Hopefully the return rates were also in masses which is causing some companies to say, hey wait. We can put out sh.t anymore, I think they are catching on.
post #7027 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not really to do with Costco and their return policy but all these manufacturers should allow everyone who bought an edge lit led POS from them to return the TV when they finally produce something that doesn't look like crap with clouding and flashlighting. These companies should be ashamed of themselves to put out such crap and then charge thousand's of dollars for it.

I can understand different levels of black but when a TV cannot even produce a black screen without having blue clouds all over it, and when someone is in a corner with a black jacket on and it looks like someone is shining a flashlight on him from the corner of the TV, that is pretty much selling a defective TV right from the start saying there is nothing wrong with that.

It is frustrating that people bought these things in masses. Hopefully the return rates were also in masses which is causing some companies to say, hey wait. We can put out sh.t anymore, I think they are catching on.

Amen Brother, those are legitimate reasons to return a TV. But I think the masses are not as unhappy as we are with those issues.

I'm praying Vizio will execute on their new specs and you don't have to be dead center to enjoy them.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7028 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I pretty much agree with your sentiments. I think Vizio or any other manufacturer should come clean when their product is released with inherited defects and offer the customer maybe an exchange policy for when they come out with a new model that addresses and fixes those issues. It would be good business practice to do so because it would make some people customers for life if they showed they really cared instead of trying to sweep everything under the rug with an inferior product that does not make people happy.

post #7029 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post

I have the same problem with mine. Try turning on Smart Dimming and see if that makes it any better. If not, return it for another. Or return it and wait for the new 2014 TVs.

Some of the factory default settings already have Smart Dimming enabled and it does not make a bit of a difference I'm sad to say.

post #7030 of 9699 Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are you guys using to clean the screen?
post #7031 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone have a link for the 70M settings. CNET is only for the 50/55.
post #7032 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM

cross-posted from the survival thread:

Does anyone reading this thread happen to have the 70" as well as an XboxOne and Forza 5? (Possibly is the same on other size screens as well) I was testing out my new 70" last night, playing with settings and trying the recommended ones from the OP. When playing Forza 5 I noticed quite a bit of "jaggies" (I think is the proper term) along door frames and headlights, car roofs, etc in the scenes before and after races where it shows your car on the track and pans around it. Last week, I returned a Samsung 65" F8000 due to my wife not being able to handle the active 3D and we got this TV instead for it's passive abilities. I notices some of these issues on Forza 5 on the Samsung and when I turned down sharpness, they went away. Last night on the Vizio, sharpness seemed to do nothing particularly with these issues I'm seeing on the car models. Has anyone else noticed these and have you found a way to make them go away?
post #7033 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

I just got my 70" lastnight, plus I have X1 and F5 but haven't had time to connect it yet.

Will do this Saturday or Sunday and will report back.
bill875 likes this.
post #7034 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoX860 View Post

What are you guys using to clean the screen?
I had to deal with some really smudgy hand and mouth prints that were covering the screen. I used a micro fiber cloth half dampened with water. It took a number of passes using light pressure and alternating between the wet and dry parts of the cloth but that got rid of them.
post #7035 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sounds like you had a very enthusiastic unboxing. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen View Post

I had to deal with some really smudgy hand and mouth prints that were covering the screen.
Greg4422 likes this.
post #7036 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozin View Post

So I recently bought a M471i-A2 and while I've come to grips with the awful remote, I cannot for the life of me get it to turn on and off with my Xbox One. I type in the model number and while the Xbox attempts to talk to the TV with the MUTE commands, none of the codes it tries work. Has anything else had any issues with their TVs and their Xbox Ones?

I have the 65" and Xbox One wouldn't control the TV until I moved the Kinect.
I had it directly in front of the center channel speaker, that was directly in front of the TV.
I moved it to the front of the cabinet, about 8 inches forward, and it works.
post #7037 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
last night something weird happened to my TV for the very first time, I was watching a show and the TV just turned itself off for no reason. TV had been on for about an hour at the time. It did turn on however when I powered it back up BUT should I take this as an isolated incident or is there cause to worry? Is this a common problem? I have until Jan 15th to return the set and this event is concerning me.
post #7038 of 9699 Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mine does that sometimes. Its a software problem I believe. My M551D still has 1.06.10.1310
post #7039 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Has anyone ever come out with any game mode calibration settings for the 50"?
Overall this TV has been fine but for a bit of bloom and some flashlighting. Also, black levels suffer pretty bad even using Shankensteins/Cnet's calibration settings. I was watching the wolverine and it was like someone had a dim spotlight on the whole bottom right of the screen. Also, I watched Gladiator on blu ray and it looked really strange, almost stuttery in some scenes.

Color and picture quality have been great, but motion issues and black levels are starting to get on my nerves.

I have 4 days left to return it lol.....now if only I could get up the nerve to pick up the Sony 55" that Cnet was raving about. I game too much for those mega high input lag plasmas unfortunately...as I really do prefer a plasma picture.
post #7040 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post

Has anyone ever come out with any game mode calibration settings for the 50"?
Overall this TV has been fine but for a bit of bloom and some flashlighting. Also, black levels suffer pretty bad even using Shankensteins/Cnet's calibration settings. I was watching the wolverine and it was like someone had a dim spotlight on the whole bottom right of the screen. Also, I watched Gladiator on blu ray and it looked really strange, almost stuttery in some scenes.

Color and picture quality have been great, but motion issues and black levels are starting to get on my nerves.

I have 4 days left to return it lol.....now if only I could get up the nerve to pick up the Sony 55" that Cnet was raving about. I game too much for those mega high input lag plasmas unfortunately...as I really do prefer a plasma picture.

I had the 55" one, and I had similar issues as you. I moved up to the 60" and those issues are almost gone with the exception that at times the blacks look like it has a dim spotlight, but this is only while watching Netflix. So, it might be a streaming issues and not a TV issues since I don't get this while watching Blu-Ray movies. biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #7041 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Liked: 24
Just as an FYI I got one of the new E series tv's the 40inch version. I also have a 60inch M series. I think they new E series is VERY comparable in picture quality to last years M series, if not a tiny bit better.

Here is my post there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510136/2014-vizio-thread-all-models/180#post_24195358
post #7042 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

Came home tonight with a 2013 70" M A3R

Very happy with it.

Remote not as bad as I was expecting.

Congrats! I think you'll like it a lot. I love mine. I have not noticed some problems experienced by others. The remote does pretty much suck. You can get an inexpensive universal remote that has a triple wide IR blaster that works very well:

http://store.sony.com/learning-remote-control-zid27-RMVLZ620/cat-27-catid-All-Home-Theater-Remotes?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

For $25 it is a good value and very functional. The triple IR blaster is great. You should be able to get it locally, all the Best Buys in this area have them.
post #7043 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Any idea when the new M series or P series is being released... I like my current set but the flashlighting is sort of bothering me even though it's slight. The blacks are fairly good but there is nothing worse than a dark picture being RUINED by light coming out of the sides. I cannot really believe this kind of thing is considered "normal" for edge lit technology. I guess most people are not bothered by this?

I have 4 more days to return my set, if the new M series which has Full Array Local Dimming, is coming out shortly I may just return this set now and wait out a few weeks to get that one even if it may be a bit more expensive.
post #7044 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpiloti View Post

Any idea when the new M series or P series is being released... I like my current set but the flashlighting is sort of bothering me even though it's slight. The blacks are fairly good but there is nothing worse than a dark picture being RUINED by light coming out of the sides. I cannot really believe this kind of thing is considered "normal" for edge lit technology. I guess most people are not bothered by this?

I have 4 more days to return my set, if the new M series which has Full Array Local Dimming, is coming out shortly I may just return this set now and wait out a few weeks to get that one even if it may be a bit more expensive.

I would think they would want to get them out before Super Bowl but that would be a quick turn around, I would guess it would be at least by March.

I just got a new E series and the black levels, contrast and local dimming are MUCH better than my M series, SO if the new M series has the same features I think they will be great sets. But I am very impressed by the new E series I just got too.
post #7045 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM

Hi guys,

I decided that I have to return my M series 65 inch tv because even though I'm apparently the only one in my household who is bothered by it, or can even see it, I just can't enjoy it because of the light spilling out of the corners.

My wife doesn't want to go until March without a big TV, so I have to find a replacement for it now. Does anyone know of any 65" or 60" model LED tv that is known for having no edge bleeding/corner flashlighting and really good 1080i/cable signal processing so that regular "HD" TV doesn't look like pixelated crap, even if it's expensive?

Thanks!
post #7046 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

I would think they would want to get them out before Super Bowl but that would be a quick turn around, I would guess it would be at least by March.

I just got a new E series and the black levels, contrast and local dimming are MUCH better than my M series, SO if the new M series has the same features I think they will be great sets. But I am very impressed by the new E series I just got too.

We're all anxiously awaiting your impressions for night viewing tonight. Well, I am anyway.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7047 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post

Hi guys,

I decided that I have to return my M series 65 inch tv because even though I'm apparently the only one in my household who is bothered by it, or can even see it, I just can't enjoy it because of the light spilling out of the corners.

My wife doesn't want to go until March without a big TV, so I have to find a replacement for it now. Does anyone know of any 65" or 60" model LED tv that is known for having no edge bleeding/corner flashlighting and really good 1080i/cable signal processing so that regular "HD" TV doesn't look like pixelated crap, even if it's expensive?

Thanks!

The Sony KDL65W850A would be my recommendation but my first one would be to talk your wife into waiting for the new "M" series. I suspect the Sony would still have some light bleed issues but not nearly as bad as the current "M" series. Another option may be to try the 70" version of the current "M" series since some have said they noticed minimal light bleed issues.

Back to the Sony, reviewers on Amazon certainly like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850A-65-Inch-1080p-Internet/dp/B00ES5YZD6

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7048 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

The Sony KDL65W850A would be my recommendation but my first one would be to talk your wife into waiting for the new "M" series. I suspect the Sony would still have some light bleed issues but not nearly as bad as the current "M" series. Another option may be to try the 70" version of the current "M" series since some have said they notice minimal light bleed issues.

Back to the Sony, reviewers on Amazon certainly like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL65W850A-65-Inch-1080p-Internet/dp/B00ES5YZD6

Thanks, venus933. Are they expecting the new full array models to make a huge difference with bleeding/flashlighting/uniformity issues? It would be difficult to go 3 - 4 months without a big tv, but maybe I can make a case for it if it's supposed to be that big a difference and we're going to have it for 5 years or so...
post #7049 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post

Thanks, venus933. Are they expecting the new full array models to make a huge difference with bleeding/flashlighting/uniformity issues? It would be difficult to go 3 - 4 months without a big tv, but maybe I can make a case for it if it's supposed to be that big a difference and we're going to have it for 5 years or so...

ABSOLUTELY! and even the "P" series (this is what I'm personally looking forward to) can be had for less $ than the Sony.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511153/vizio-p-series-uhdtvs-at-ces-2014#post_24195401

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7050 of 9699 Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post

The new E series are out already? 2014?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page