post #721 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWAD123 View Post

Hi guys,

Just got this Friday night in the 55" variety.

I have this hooked up to a HTPC running AMD a6-3500 APU.

The Advanced Options under picture do not appear when hooked to my HTPC.

I'm really trying to get the 3d functionality to work from the computer, but I'm really stumped at this point. The only way I've gotten to view 3d is when using the built in YouTube APP on the TV itself.

Any help please?

Thank you!

I updated all of my drivers for the APU and now the advanced options appear for the PC.. Still can't get anything coming out of the PC in 3D on the TV. Really annoying. Wish you could override the TV. Trying to use Stereoscopic Player, but the TV isn't getting word that it's 3D. UGH.

Edited to add: If I use Youtube app on the TV I can get it to work in 3D. Youtube in Chrome though, set to side by side... and 3D is greyed out.

2nd Edit: Perhaps it is because I am using a 1.3 monoprice cable. I have an order in for a new one from them just to see.

Does anyone know if they will enable the ability to turn on 3D in addition to the auto detect? I'm seriously thinking of returning this for an LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just picked up the 50" m series from best buy. Looked pretty good in the store. Setting up tonight to replace my LCD from 2004.
post #723 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Just picked up the 50" m series from best buy. Looked pretty good in the store. Setting up tonight to replace my LCD from 2004.
Can you post some pics of it when you get it up & runnin. Im interested in buying this set too.
post #724 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 11
i've been eyeing this set for a while now, and was able to check it out in person last night at the local BB.

aesthetically, it looks great - it doesn't look like an $800 tv (for the 50"). the picture quality on the demo (madagascar?) they were showing was great, looking very sharp and bright.

i already have "approval" from the better half to move to this, but i'm concerned that i'll be disappointed compared to our 50" plasma. we currently have a samsung pn50a760, which has been great for about 4 years now; but the allure of 3d (and getting rid of this plasma furnace in our poorly ventilated room) has me wanting a new tv.

any thoughts about how this will compare to my current samsung plasma in PQ?
post #725 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Anyone who has netflix go watch dont be afraid of the dark.. you can easily see the poor performance of the smart dimming leds even with the smart dimming off...

I also watched mission impossible 3 on the set and the beginning action sequence is hard to watch.. with all the movement and action there is alot of juttering going on.. I love the tv but poor performance will have me returning it more than likely
post #726 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWAD123 View Post

I updated all of my drivers for the APU and now the advanced options appear for the PC.. Still can't get anything coming out of the PC in 3D on the TV. Really annoying. Wish you could override the TV. Trying to use Stereoscopic Player, but the TV isn't getting word that it's 3D. UGH.

Edited to add: If I use Youtube app on the TV I can get it to work in 3D. Youtube in Chrome though, set to side by side... and 3D is greyed out.

2nd Edit: Perhaps it is because I am using a 1.3 monoprice cable. I have an order in for a new one from them just to see.

Does anyone know if they will enable the ability to turn on 3D in addition to the auto detect? I'm seriously thinking of returning this for an LG.

Not possible. Any 3d signal through hdmi will be detect automatically. 3d button will not work and 3d function in advance setting will be grayed out. 3D button only works with usb or coaxial. Only solution so far, you have to load your SBS files to USB drive (Fat32 format, so limited to 4GB) and play through VIA multimedia.

new cable will not make a difference
post #727 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM

I've been able to play PS3 games in 3D, and stream YouTube in 3d (both look incredible on this TV!), but have no had any luck getting 3d video to work via Roku 2xs or my ps3. Not sure what the problem is, as I am able to stream these files in 3D via DNLA, just not very well (they are jittery and leggy, and only play a random 2 minute loop) from PS3 media server on my MacBook Pro.

Going to try to pick up a USB drive for this, but with a 4gb file size limit I dunno if its gonna be worth it. I really wish these TVs had the option of "forcing" 3D from HDMI sources, but so far this can only be done for the smart TV apps and cable sources.
post #728 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up a 55" from Best Buy today as they had them on sale and I have a Best Buy CC (meaning, interest free financing). I am replacing a 50" SXRD which still works fine by $95 a year for bulbs seems like throwing away money at this point since the TV is so old. This TV goes in my family room which gets a lot of viewing (my son) so I was looking for a good deal and not necessarily the best set. The Vizio fit that in every way.

I'm happy with how its working so far. I love that they added Amazon Instant Video to the set and remote since I use that alot. No complaints at all. No, its not perfect, but it does a damn good job for the price paid. I did attempt to do some calibration with my older HD Basics discs, and it appears that the "Standard" default setting is pretty close to calibrated. Brightness and Contrast were close enough to perfect that I left them alone, and I cranked down Color to 47 which cleared Blue and Red filters. The green is a little hot, but I haven't messed with the advanced color settings to adjust. Sharpness I dropped way down to 5 since that is what last year's model was recommended by CNET, but I really have no frame of reference on that one. I'll be eager to see what everyone else has calibrated at. Since the TV somewhat faces a window, I left the IRIS on low.

I did try Finding Nemo 3D on my PS3 and it worked fine. As the movie was loading it said the source had 3D content and the TV asked me if I wanted to turn that feature on. I said yes and it worked perfectly. Glad to finally be entering the 3D revolution.
post #729 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM

ive had the tv for 2 days now (m501 a2r)

pleasantly suprised that the DLNA feature is not advertised but included in this set.. would like 2d-3d conversion though... then i guess i can't complain much since my last TV was a 19in dynex lcd
post #730 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM

I am new to 3D and currently own a 70" E series so I am anticipating returning this set to Costco and replacing it with the M series. Not sure how much 3D I will watch but out of curiosity why doesn't Vizio have the 2D to 3D conversion? Maybe I should consider a different TV. Is 2D just as good on a 3D capable TV. I am really trying to get the best deal for the money and yet get all of the features.
post #731 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just returned the E551D because 3D was "jagged" looking. Bought the M551D-A2R. Got it going, went to 3d (comcast / Starz) and it doesn't recognize the 3D content there. The picture came on side by side and I pressed the 3D key on the remote and it just shows me the "info" bar at the top which says "Normal" is there any way to force it into 3D or to manually bring up the menu or is it just automatic?
post #732 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post

I picked up a 55" from Best Buy today as they had them on sale and I have a Best Buy CC (meaning, interest free financing). I am replacing a 50" SXRD which still works fine by $95 a year for bulbs seems like throwing away money at this point since the TV is so old. This TV goes in my family room which gets a lot of viewing (my son) so I was looking for a good deal and not necessarily the best set. The Vizio fit that in every way.

I'm happy with how its working so far. I love that they added Amazon Instant Video to the set and remote since I use that alot. No complaints at all. No, its not perfect, but it does a damn good job for the price paid. I did attempt to do some calibration with my older HD Basics discs, and it appears that the "Standard" default setting is pretty close to calibrated. Brightness and Contrast were close enough to perfect that I left them alone, and I cranked down Color to 47 which cleared Blue and Red filters. The green is a little hot, but I haven't messed with the advanced color settings to adjust. Sharpness I dropped way down to 5 since that is what last year's model was recommended by CNET, but I really have no frame of reference on that one. I'll be eager to see what everyone else has calibrated at. Since the TV somewhat faces a window, I left the IRIS on low.

I did try Finding Nemo 3D on my PS3 and it worked fine. As the movie was loading it said the source had 3D content and the TV asked me if I wanted to turn that feature on. I said yes and it worked perfectly. Glad to finally be entering the 3D revolution.

How does the Vizio compare to the SXRD? I'm thinking of making the same exact switch.
post #733 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I am new to 3D and currently own a 70" E series so I am anticipating returning this set to Costco and replacing it with the M series. Not sure how much 3D I will watch but out of curiosity why doesn't Vizio have the 2D to 3D conversion? Maybe I should consider a different TV. Is 2D just as good on a 3D capable TV. I am really trying to get the best deal for the money and yet get all of the features.

It's simply a cost cutting measure by cutting the dual play, 2-D to 3-D conversion and THX/ISF licensed calibration tools the savings are passed on to you. As a best bang for your buck the ST60 and M-series Vizio are fantastic choices.
post #734 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisishere View Post

Anyone who has netflix go watch dont be afraid of the dark.. you can easily see the poor performance of the smart dimming leds even with the smart dimming off...

I also watched mission impossible 3 on the set and the beginning action sequence is hard to watch.. with all the movement and action there is alot of juttering going on.. I love the tv but poor performance will have me returning it more than likely

I don't see anything that you keep posting about. Netflix looks good to me. 3D looks great, I have played hours of Xbox 360 and love it, looks fantastic. I played Batman Arkem in 3d and it plays and looks sweet.....At this point tho if I were you I'd return it and get something else as you don't like this TV. Your posts read back to back support a return man.

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #735 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Just returned the E551D because 3D was "jagged" looking. Bought the M551D-A2R. Got it going, went to 3d (comcast / Starz) and it doesn't recognize the 3D content there. The picture came on side by side and I pressed the 3D key on the remote and it just shows me the "info" bar at the top which says "Normal" is there any way to force it into 3D or to manually bring up the menu or is it just automatic?
I downloaded the manual for the set I'm interested in (the 80", although the manual covers the 60, 70 and 80) has instructions on how to use the remote to set the correct 3D mode. Just google your model number and pdf.
post #736 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

I downloaded the manual for the set I'm interested in (the 80", although the manual covers the 60, 70 and 80) has instructions on how to use the remote to set the correct 3D mode. Just google your model number and pdf.

The manual, with all of it's wisdom (sarcasm galore...) tells you "to view 3D content you just need a 3D blu-ray player" so according to Vizio the only 3D content available now or ever is Blu-ray only, the great 3D movies I get from comcast don't really exist....

The 3D button on the remote does NOTHING. From what I've read here the Tv automatically detects 3D content. Not giving me the ability to set 3D manually is BAD engineering. It's fine if they want to help by detecting it but DON'T take away the ability to do it manually.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? If not, this TV goes back too.
post #737 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is from page 17 of the manual I downloaded:

To correctly view 3D content, you must set the 3D mode to match
the 3D format of the content.
To change the 3D mode:
1 . Press the 3Dbutton on the
remote. The on-screen menu is
displayed.
2 . If viewing 2D content, highlight 2Dand press OK. The menu
closes.If viewing 3D content, highlight 3Dand press OK. Go to step
3 . Select the 3D mode to match the content you are watching:
• SBS- Displays side-by-side 3D.
• TB- Displays top/bottom 3D.
• Sensio- Displays Sensio 3D.
4 . The TV displays, “3D viewing mode enabled. Please wear 3D
glasses.” Put on your 3D glasses
post #738 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

The 3D button only displays the "info" at the top of the screen which says 1080i, shows network strength, time, which HDMI input and "normal" for display. My other Vizio 3D TV's would bring up the 3D menu asking which type, side by side or top / bottom but NOT this tv. Evidentally it knows what I'm watching more than I do rolleyes.gif
post #739 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 07:35 PM

Liked: 17
SAme here man. I can not for the life of me get it to see Netflix 3d or USB 3d...the button does nothing lol. Also tried running a sbs mp4 on my lappy through HDMI and it does not let me change it. frown.gif

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #740 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Who does Vizio think they are telling us what to watch, microsoft...biggrin.gif
post #741 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 PM

I think my 55" is going back for last years LG 55LM9600. A little more pricey, but it has the features I want.

Disappointed especially in lack of manual 3D as all I use is my HTPC for everything and was excited for 3D viewing.
post #742 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 PM

I've been lurking on this thread the past couple of days, and I feel I should add my two cents. I recently got the M551D delivered to my apartment on Friday (Thanks Amazon!). I was running through the paces of the TV being hooked up to cable, my gaming laptop, PS3 and Wii U. The picture is tremendous for my uses. (Clear and beautiful pictures for gaming and computer browsing? Yes plz). I hadn't touched the 3D since that's not what why I bought it. (I wanted the great picture and the internet connectivity) However, I decided to do my own test on how the TV does 3D.

Vizio Apps: Once you are in the apps, you can change the type of 3D. It did this on Netflix and Youtube. Although for both cases, it does automatically turn 3D on when you view a 3D compatible video.
PS3: No manual change. It does change automatically when you have something 3D related. (I tested Mortal Kombat and Netflix on PS3. Both ran fine)
Gaming Laptop: No manual change. It does change automatically when you start playing a 3D compatible game or running the NVidia 3D Vision. Tried to play a couple of 3D Youtube videos via Chrome and the TV did not go to 3D. (However, if you change the 3D options in YT to interlacing rows, it kinda works) Did not test playing a SBS mp4 because.... well I don't have one. frown.gif
Cable: I tried playing a couple of 3D Videos from my On Demand Service (FYI, I have Cox Cable). I am unable to change over to 3D so all I see is top/bottom screens.

I'm thinking that it may be some type of firmware bug. I was browsing around and came across the topic for the Vizio M3D651 TV (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread/210). There is a mention that the latest update took away the manual 3D switching option and that (allegedly) Vizio has a fix that will roll out in the next two weeks. Unknown if it applies to this TV or not.

So yeah, that's my two cents. It's not really a deal breaker for me since I don't really watch 3D programs all that often. (In my case, it takes a lot of visual focus to get the 3D and I can only view it for 10-15 minutes before my eyes say "NO MAS") I will say that when the 3D does work on this TV, it does work pretty good. But not being able to manually switch it could be a turn off to folks who like their 3D content.
josephpearson likes this.
post #743 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post

Cable: I tried playing a couple of 3D Videos from my On Demand Service (FYI, I have Cox Cable). I am unable to change over to 3D so all I see is top/bottom screens.

I'm thinking that it may be some type of firmware bug. I was browsing around and came across the topic for the Vizio M3D651 TV (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439520/official-vizio-m3d651sv-owners-thread/210). There is a mention that the latest update took away the manual 3D switching option and that (allegedly) Vizio has a fix that will roll out in the next two weeks. Unknown if it applies to this TV or not.
I bought it at best buy today and they have a 15 day return policy so if the update doesn't come out in the next 10 days, back it goes, I'm not waiting until the last minute because Vizio is putzing around.
post #744 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 PM

i thought i read that this set doesn't support firmware updates, but i'm probably wrong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I bought it at best buy today and they have a 15 day return policy so if the update doesn't come out in the next 10 days, back it goes, I'm not waiting until the last minute because Vizio is putzing around.
post #745 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Typically Vizio sets will update automatically as long as you connect to the internet whether by ethernet cable or wifi. That being said, I entered my wifi passcode and it shows that I'm connecyed BUT the Test Connection function shows connection but Nothing Downloaded & I cannot get to online aps like Yahoo or Youtube.
post #746 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malistrais View Post

i thought i read that this set doesn't support firmware updates, but i'm probably wrong...
Given that there is supposed to be added updates for full screen apps and for the remote, I would say updates would roll on as usual.

indept: Sorry to hear that, but it's understandable. I can see why not being able to manually switch to 3D would be a sticking point since from what I've seen, since it doesn't detect ALL 3D signals. Like I said, it's not so much a issue for me since I don't watch 3D all that often. I just needed the TV to be a monitor to my laptop and cable/gaming, and it does quite a good job at that. As far as your wi-fi deal, I would say to recheck the password on the TV and check your router settings, but I'm thinking that was already done. I just call it a hunch. wink.gif
post #747 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

I just want to be able to take advantage of 3D content offered by Comcast based on what I subscribe to. I watched these movies on the last 2 Vizios I had and returned, the M3D550KDE had great picture & 3d quality but terrible fast motion blur & the M550D-A0 I just returned had "jagged" 3D quality but great picture & fast motion, can't I have all 3 rolleyes.gif?? Why buy a TV that offers a function or service if it's not going to work?
post #748 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 18
Indept, you've tried both Vizios I was interested in, but neither was available when my old TV died. So I bought the Samsung F6400 and was so happy with it I kept it...and reading your posts in the Vizio threads made me glad I did.

If you return the M551, the 55" F6400 is only $100 more. If you try it, please post a comparison with the two Vizios. Regardless, good luck and I hope it works out. I know whats it like to have to keep exchanging TVs to get a decent set.
post #749 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

What's annoying is Best Buys return policy, 15 days is not enough. If Vizio releases a firmware update to fix this that's great but if it's not out before my 15 days is up back it goes, I'm not gambling with this money, I'd rather buy something that delivers what they promised.
post #750 of 9834 Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Got my m50 up and running, glad i didnt go any bigger, its just perfect! Signed up on vudu to check out the 3D demos. Pretty cool so far. Is 3D even better with 3D bluray player? I'm only on Comcast economy plus which is 3.0mbps which causes occasional pauses to buffer.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page