post #7471 of 10052 Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oanned View Post

The Panny 60 best price is $1349. Picked up the Sammy 55" for $899 and the M series 55" I can pick up at Costco for $975. My wife also has a strong environmental streak and the plasmas suck a lot of juice.

Hmm guess you can't really compare in the same size with Panny not making 55" models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 10052 Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok guys, I need help here.

I have the M55 and am trying to get the apps to work. I am hooked up via wireless and have gone through the set up guide and it shows everything as connected. When I go the Vizio apps and try to open them, it pops up and says "Connection Disconnected". When I go back and look at my settings, it still says im connected and shows signal strength and everything. Can someone please help. Do I need to do an update by USB or what? Im stuck and frustrated as well. Tried to look through the manual but I have followed it by the book and still cant get any of the apps to work. Says Im connected then when I try and app, Connection Disconnected!!
post #7473 of 10052 Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisu7582 View Post

Ok guys, I need help here.

I have the M55 and am trying to get the apps to work. I am hooked up via wireless and have gone through the set up guide and it shows everything as connected. When I go the Vizio apps and try to open them, it pops up and says "Connection Disconnected". When I go back and look at my settings, it still says im connected and shows signal strength and everything. Can someone please help. Do I need to do an update by USB or what? Im stuck and frustrated as well. Tried to look through the manual but I have followed it by the book and still cant get any of the apps to work. Says Im connected then when I try and app, Connection Disconnected!!

The DNS server your tv is using to may be too slow, causing the apps to time out. I had this same issue early on. The 3rd (!) Vizio tech I called had me set up the network manually: in Network, go to Manual Setup, turn off DHCP (which automatically sets the DNS settings), go down to the "pref" and "alt" DNS servers and enter the Google Public DNS settings (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

This solved all my connection problems, though later it seemed Netflix worked better with the automatic DHCP settings. So now I let DHCP set the "pref" DNS server, THEN turn off DHCP and manually enter 8.8.8.8 under "alt" DNS. That way I get the best of both.

Later someone recommended using OpenDNS for servers instead of Google's DNS, but I haven't had much need to change it. You may want to google OpenDNS for their settings and see if it's even faster than Google's DNS.

Hope that helps...
post #7474 of 10052 Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Liked: 10
So, based on the response on this forumto my inquiry regarding whether to pick up the 55 inch M-series, I went to my local Costco this afternoon to do just that. I loaded the set onto a flat cart, and began making my way to the checkout stand. However, on my way I went past the new Visio 2014 series E 48 inch set.

WOW!!! What a picture! It was perched between a 47 inch LG 6200 and a 50 inch Visio E series from last year. To the left of the LG was the Visio 47 inch M-series. The new E series really popped! The viewing angles and image where as good as the M-series nearby. What really blew me away, however, was when a loop of "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" came on. It is the scene where Bilbo is loading the dwarfs into the empty barrels inside the elf castle. The clarity of the image, and the contrast which allowed all of the different objects to be viewed was stunning, as well as the colors, particularly the flesh tones. None of the other sets came close, all having a very dark image with loss of detail. I did not purchase the 55 inch M-series and left the store befuddled.

Later I went to another Costco hoping to find a 55 inch version of the new E series to check out. They only had the 48 inch, running off a Blu-ray playing the newest "Ice Age" at the store entrance so I could not compare it to other sets. However I did get a chance to look at the Samsung 55 inch 7500, the Visio 55 inch M-series, and the Samsung 6350 all together. When the loop of the Hobbit came on, the only one of the three whose image was even close to the 48 inch E series was the Samsung 7500. The same clarity, color and contrast.

The upshot of all of this is that if the E series is this good, the P and the M must be just outstanding. I guess I will be waiting a while to see what I actually pick up. Yes, each of the sets could've been better calibrated individually to get a better image, but for the new E series to have such a stunning image right out-of-the-box is really super.
post #7475 of 10052 Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post

The DNS server your tv is using to may be too slow, causing the apps to time out. I had this same issue early on. The 3rd (!) Vizio tech I called had me set up the network manually: in Network, go to Manual Setup, turn off DHCP (which automatically sets the DNS settings), go down to the "pref" and "alt" DNS servers and enter the Google Public DNS settings (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

This solved all my connection problems, though later it seemed Netflix worked better with the automatic DHCP settings. So now I let DHCP set the "pref" DNS server, THEN turn off DHCP and manually enter 8.8.8.8 under "alt" DNS. That way I get the best of both.

Later someone recommended using OpenDNS for servers instead of Google's DNS, but I haven't had much need to change it. You may want to google OpenDNS for their settings and see if it's even faster than Google's DNS.

Hope that helps...

Thanks so much. Done exactly as you said and it works like a charm now. Kuddos to you my friend!!
post #7476 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

you may also want to play with the directv receiver "native" setting. Are you forcing the receiver to output everything at the same resolution? specific set of resolutions? or at the content's native resolution?. Some people force the reciever to output everything at 1080i and this may not be desirable.

I personally set my directv receiver to output the show's native resolution and let the TV deal with the signal.

Hey bigcat wanted to thank you for your advice.  Went home last night and changed the directv setting native to on.  I also found out my Pioneer sc-57 was trying to do something with the picture so I turned off picture control on the receiver and BOOM!  My tv was good again.  

Thanks everyone who responded.  I'm a super happy Vizio 601d owner!  

post #7477 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oanned View Post

So, based on the response on this forumto my inquiry regarding whether to pick up the 55 inch M-series, I went to my local Costco this afternoon to do just that. I loaded the set onto a flat cart, and began making my way to the checkout stand. However, on my way I went past the new Visio 2014 series E 48 inch set.

WOW!!! What a picture! It was perched between a 47 inch LG 6200 and a 50 inch Visio E series from last year. To the left of the LG was the Visio 47 inch M-series. The new E series really popped! The viewing angles and image where as good as the M-series nearby. What really blew me away, however, was when a loop of "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" came on. It is the scene where Bilbo is loading the dwarfs into the empty barrels inside the elf castle. The clarity of the image, and the contrast which allowed all of the different objects to be viewed was stunning, as well as the colors, particularly the flesh tones. None of the other sets came close, all having a very dark image with loss of detail. I did not purchase the 55 inch M-series and left the store befuddled.

Later I went to another Costco hoping to find a 55 inch version of the new E series to check out. They only had the 48 inch, running off a Blu-ray playing the newest "Ice Age" at the store entrance so I could not compare it to other sets. However I did get a chance to look at the Samsung 55 inch 7500, the Visio 55 inch M-series, and the Samsung 6350 all together. When the loop of the Hobbit came on, the only one of the three whose image was even close to the 48 inch E series was the Samsung 7500. The same clarity, color and contrast.

The upshot of all of this is that if the E series is this good, the P and the M must be just outstanding. I guess I will be waiting a while to see what I actually pick up. Yes, each of the sets could've been better calibrated individually to get a better image, but for the new E series to have such a stunning image right out-of-the-box is really super.
I would be curious to what setting the Vizio was using on the E series. Most of the time they are in vivid mode and people think the picture looks great. rolleyes.gif
bill875 likes this.
post #7478 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I would be curious to what setting the Vizio was using on the E series. Most of the time they are in vivid mode and people think the picture looks great. rolleyes.gif

I was going to add that you really can't go by the PQ you see in the stores. This is one of the big reasons plasmas are going extinct.
post #7479 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post

Hope that helps...

That's odd. I tried Google's DNS settings awhile back and my TV would not connect to anything at all. When I turned DHCP back on it connected fine.
post #7480 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

I was going to add that you really can't go by the PQ you see in the stores. This is one of the big reasons plasmas are going extinct.

Yeah, if I were going to make my television purchase based off what they look like in stores, I never would've bought my 50" M. The Vizios all looked like complete and utter garbage in Best Buy, while all the Samsungs looked incredible.
post #7481 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Yeah, if I were going to make my television purchase based off what they look like in stores, I never would've bought my 50" M. The Vizios all looked like complete and utter garbage in Best Buy, while all the Samsungs looked incredible.

Saw this exact same thing in my Best Buy when I was buying my 55"M. They Samsung lit up the entire wall of TVs so it was pretty obvious, even the sales clerk mentioned the Vizio probably wasn't set up right.
post #7482 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Did anyone receive the update this week? I'm still awaiting. Man are they sloooowwwww.
post #7483 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

Did anyone receive the update this week? I'm still awaiting. Man are they sloooowwwww.

Sill waiting and think it's ridiculous that it will take up to two months (according to Vizio) for the update push!
post #7484 of 10052 Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post

Also still waiting
post #7485 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is the WiFi remote capability out yet on the M series? I have a roomieremote on my iPhone and iPad. It talks IP to devices so I need to be able to turn the tv on and off via IP. Either WiFi or hardwired through the Ethernet jack would be fine.

Alfred--
post #7486 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermer321 View Post

I just bought the M701D (open and resealed) from nobetterdeal.com. I took a huge risk as not many people have purchased there, but for $1000 after coupon, I really shouldn't complain. But, I have an issue when looking at the TV at an angle, At 45 degrees to the right side, a dark arc appears (see picture). I know the picture makes it seem small, but it really gets annoying.
There is nothing on the screen and looking straight on, the screen is perfect. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it worth sending back? It does not have back light bleeding when viewing a dark screen,.

Any input is appreciated!

Can anybody else with the 70" chime in about this issue? I am really deciding what to do as the dining room and kitchen always see this dark arc when the picture is somewhat light. What might cause this?

If I look at the other side at an angle, this one disappears, and the other side has a dark arc.
post #7487 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 12
to all of those looking to buy I a m series, a few month ago i posted a thread comparing my tests at home with a e701 and m701. at that time i concluded that extra features of the M series where not that great versus the E series and it was better to buy the E series which i did. Vizio announced this month that they will give up 3d for their TVs and their next big thing for 2014 and beyond is 4K TV.
For all of you that are considering teh M series, my advice: buy a cheaper E series which is just a good quality wise, it is much cheaper and 4 years from now you will upgrade to 4K. 3D movies on the M series look realy realy good i have tried them, BUT getting 3d movies is a novelty that lasts a couple of months... there are no real 3d streaming services, 3d DVDs are VERY expensive... ESPN closed their 3d channel and Vizio is giving up the 3d technology all together..
post #7488 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Can anybody else with the 70" chime in about this issue? I am really deciding what to do as the dining room and kitchen always see this dark arc when the picture is somewhat light. What might cause this?

If I look at the other side at an angle, this one disappears, and the other side has a dark arc.

That looks like a weird dirty screen anomaly, I would get a replacement. I do not have the 70" but do have the 80" which is in the same sub-series and see nothing like this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #7489 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 AM

just for info.

I have been struggling to make the DLNA work with vizio (e or M series) . VIZIO is not DLNA certified which is the problem. Vizio did not work for me with Plex, XBMC , the windows 8 DLNA server etc... Vizio would see the server fine, but it does not see any file within the server. I had given up in using DLNA and connected the harddrive to the vizio USB which works fine for video files (Mp4, avi, mpg, but not work for MKV).

I just bought a new router Cisco EA4500 which comes with its own DLNA server, and GREAT surprise it works perfectly with vizio, i put my hard drive into the router and Vizio sees everything perfectly, no need to move the hard drive around anymore
post #7490 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by loscar123 View Post

to all of those looking to buy I a m series, a few month ago i posted a thread comparing my tests at home with a e701 and m701. at that time i concluded that extra features of the M series where not that great versus the E series and it was better to buy the E series which i did. Vizio announced this month that they will give up 3d for their TVs and their next big thing for 2014 and beyond is 4K TV.
For all of you that are considering teh M series, my advice: buy a cheaper E series which is just a good quality wise, it is much cheaper and 4 years from now you will upgrade to 4K. 3D movies on the M series look realy realy good i have tried them, BUT getting 3d movies is a novelty that lasts a couple of months... there are no real 3d streaming services, 3d DVDs are VERY expensive... ESPN closed their 3d channel and Vizio is giving up the 3d technology all together..

Sounds like an anti 3D rant to me... A lot of people that have the M series enjoy the 3D once they use it. I myself LOVE 3D and the 3D blu rays are not that expensive.

I brought the fact the Vizio isn't havering 3D in their 2014 sets to my wife and her first response was "I am glad we have a 2013 set no 3D equals no buy for a TV". It is a feature that we both were like eh about at first now we can't live without it.

We feel like 3D is another step like color was. The problem is it wasn't done well when it first hit the markets, now it is pretty much maturing into a well used asset that adds to a film. At the beginning it was gimmick but lots of movies now use it for immersion.

I truly think the lack of 3D will divide sales of the M series sets from Vizio into two teams. And for this reason Vizio may not have to cut the price of the 2013 sets that much.

*Team one: I want the newest with the better black levels. Giving me a deep and good contrast.

*Team two: I have to get last years cause I want the 3D experience at home. Even if the PQ isn't as good but still great overall.

Vizio will return to 3D sooner rather than later I feel. Maybe 2015/2016.
lotohnz likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #7491 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm very happy with my 50" M 3D TV. I found some obscure European kids/family film in 3D on YouTube, starring Heather Graham and Lang Lang called "The Flying Machine", and I enjoyed it very much. About half the movie is some very well-done stop-motion animation (or a CG replica of stop-motion, not sure which). And it was free, to boot.
post #7492 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Sounds like an anti 3D rant to me... A lot of people that have the M series enjoy the 3D once they use it. I myself LOVE 3D and the 3D blu rays are not that expensive.

I brought the fact the Vizio isn't havering 3D in their 2014 sets to my wife and her first response was "I am glad we have a 2013 set no 3D equals no buy for a TV". It is a feature that we both were like eh about at first now we can't live without it.

We feel like 3D is another step like color was. The problem is it wasn't done well when it first hit the markets, now it is pretty much maturing into a well used asset that adds to a film. At the beginning it was gimmick but lots of movies now use it for immersion.

I truly think the lack of 3D will divide sales of the M series sets from Vizio into two teams. And for this reason Vizio may not have to cut the price of the 2013 sets that much.

*Team one: I want the newest with the better black levels. Giving me a deep and good contrast.

*Team two: I have to get last years cause I want the 3D experience at home. Even if the PQ isn't as good but still great overall.

I am not against 3D, i used it with the M701 and I LOVED IT, very impressive experience, no headache fantastic. I am just saying that pragmatically in my own experience and use case, teh Mseries for 3d is not worth the money versus the E series. I do not buy DVDs, I stream from netflix or rent from the redbox next to my house. In both cases there are NO 3D movies available. I get TV from FIOS and there are NO 3D channels, ESPN cancel their 3D channel last year and there is no sign of new 3D channels... my only option is to buy 3D DVD or rent from online expensive on demand services (3dGO etc). This may be great for some, but for me it makes no sense.

4 years from now I will certainly be looking to enjoy the real improvement that 4K tvs will bring. at that time i hope that a 70inch vizio 4K will be affordable to replace my E701. If I hear what vizio says, these future TV will not have 3D....when you have the #1 TV maker in the USA that tells you they are giving up on 3D...yes for sure they can change their mind, but what can also happen is that Samsung, LG and other follow Vizio and give up 3D. Even if my next vizio 4K tv comes with 3D, I will get it because of 4K not 3D... for 3D to be worthwhile for me Netflix and redbox need to start streaming most of their titles in 3D (not just 2% like today for netflix which some providers) . Netflix is pushing 4K much more than they are 3D.

that's just for me, 3D is fun to try but it is not worth the extra cost for now,, but if i could buy 3D DVD at best buy regardless of the price... I agree, 3d movies on vizio look REALY NICE. personally i will save the money and will buy a 4k tv earlier...

keep in mind that 3d works great on big screens...3d on a 42 # tv is not a nice visual experience .. whiel big screens are common in the US, everywhere else in eth world 42 or 55inch is the biggest size you put in an apartment ...Vizio, samsung look at the global market opportunity and that's probably why 3D is not that exciting, while a 42"-55" 4K tv realy makes a big improvement for the masses.
post #7493 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I think Vizio will likely venture into glasses-free 3D whenever they get back into the 3D game.

I still don't understand how it works, and may not ever until I actually see such a TV in person.
post #7494 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

That was the sorta the same issue I was having with my M501, during certain scenes I would see a blotchy(ness) on the middle right side of the screen usually when a camera would pan from left to right. It was most annoying.
post #7495 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM

Liked: 20
How many of you guys use Smart Dimming on your M-series TVs?

I really like this feature, but I have occasionally seen on my set that there is a noticeable delay in the Smart Dimming coming into effect on certain parts of the picture. For example, when the scene changes, sometimes an actor's face will be overblown bright, and the Smart Dimming needs a split second to catch up to make the face a normal shade again. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Have any of you noticed this?
post #7496 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I'm glad I got in on the 3D M series too. Even if there weren't tons of 3D content on youtube (found Jack the Giant Slayer the other night), I will be forever able to watch The Hobbit in 3D the way it was intended.

As a Tolkien geek that seals the deal.
josephpearson likes this.
post #7497 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

How many of you guys use Smart Dimming on your M-series TVs?

I really like this feature, but I have occasionally seen on my set that there is a noticeable delay in the Smart Dimming coming into effect on certain parts of the picture. For example, when the scene changes, sometimes an actor's face will be overblown bright, and the Smart Dimming needs a split second to catch up to make the face a normal shade again. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Have any of you noticed this?

Yes, I get that on my M601. I believe it is called blooming. It happens when fading up from black to a close-up.
post #7498 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Vizio is giving up the 3d technology all together..

not true....Well sort of, our passive 3D glasses of what we know today are sadly leaving us (for now). But 3D no, just different . http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ces-vizio-isnt-giving-up-on-3d-thinks-glasses-free-is-the-way-to-go
Anyways, we love the 3D here on our set.
post #7499 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bro has the 70" M series and I love the 3D on it from the BD's we've seen on it. Personally I'm a pro-plasma anti-LCD guy, but when your buying criteria is a 70" TV w/ passive 3D, no plasma fits either criteria so we were down to the Sony or the Vizio. Reviews and price made us go with the Vizio.

As for 3D, I do enjoy it, but I definitely can't say the 3D Blu-rays are not expensive. I personally consider any BD over $20 to be expensive and a lot of the 3D BDs are closer to $30 than to $25. They are definitely expensive and imo part of the reason 3D did not take off. I think 3D would be in a much better state now if active 3D never existed. It was nausea inducing and the glasses were way too impractical.

I'm really hoping 3D BDs dont die out too fast, I think we'll see this year if a lot of the box office hit titles carry 3D versions or not. They really need to release them at $25 though instead of $30.
post #7500 of 10052 Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

I think 3D would be in a much better state now if active 3D never existed. It was nausea inducing and the glasses were way too impractical.

That's an interesting observation. I have no experience at all with active 3D, but based on what I read, isn't the Active 3D on the latest Panasonic plasmas supposed to be improved and less vomit-inducing?

Which Active 3D sets in the past gave you nausea?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread