Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7831 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

my 3 week old M551dA2  got the 1.09.42.1498 last night.

now I love the tv and the remote(perfectly responsive)...I can now control vizio sound bar(via optical) with the tv remote where I couldn't before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 11
I went ahead and picked up an M551-A2 from Sam's Club. They dropped their price to $978, so even with $45 club membership it's only $24 more than Walmart's and Best Buy's advertised price ($999, but they're both still out of stock near me too).

I watched some Olympics, and it looks great overall, but I did notice a large region in the middle of the screen that's just slightly discolored when watching downhill skiing (white background). Not sure yet if that's a defect of the TV or just an artifact from NBC's coverage. When watching other content, I didn't notice any other problems. Will have to evaluate some more.

I also tried out the 3D capability through the built-in Netflix app, I didn't even know Netflix offered 3D content. Oscar's Oasis 3D and The Ultimate Wave Tahiti. The Tahiti documentary was incredible! They made very good use of 3D photography, although some scenes seemed just a bit artificial (surf boards suddenly protruding from the screen, or fish etc.) But overall the depth added was very nice, I'm impressed!

However the TV seemed to crash when I had netflix open and I brought up the TV onscreen menu to make some adjustments. Also it crashed again this morning when I tried to watch a Youtube video (had a glitch with that app as well last night when I tried the function that lets you control the video from your iPad. The word "Loading" was stuck in the middle of the screen and it kept pausing and rebuffering too.)

I need to figure out how to update the firmware, I'm currently on V1.06.10.1310.

BTW, So far the remote has been pretty good, not really seeing the responsiveness problems that people are reporting
post #7833 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran View Post

I went ahead and picked up an M551-A2 from Sam's Club. They dropped their price to $978, so even with $45 club membership it's only $24 more than Walmart's and Best Buy's advertised price ($999, but they're both still out of stock near me too).

I watched some Olympics, and it looks great overall, but I did notice a large region in the middle of the screen that's just slightly discolored when watching downhill skiing (white background). Not sure yet if that's a defect of the TV or just an artifact from NBC's coverage. When watching other content, I didn't notice any other problems. Will have to evaluate some more.

I also tried out the 3D capability through the built-in Netflix app, I didn't even know Netflix offered 3D content. Oscar's Oasis 3D and The Ultimate Wave Tahiti. The Tahiti documentary was incredible! They made very good use of 3D photography, although some scenes seemed just a bit artificial (surf boards suddenly protruding from the screen, or fish etc.) But overall the depth added was very nice, I'm impressed!

However the TV seemed to crash when I had netflix open and I brought up the TV onscreen menu to make some adjustments. Also it crashed again this morning when I tried to watch a Youtube video (had a glitch with that app as well last night when I tried the function that lets you control the video from your iPad. The word "Loading" was stuck in the middle of the screen and it kept pausing and rebuffering too.)

I need to figure out how to update the firmware, I'm currently on V1.06.10.1310.

BTW, So far the remote has been pretty good, not really seeing the responsiveness problems that people are reporting

You can't update the firmware manually. It will just do it by itself. You'll just have to wait. I had picture quality issues with my 55", but I didn't have any issues with the 60". I'm still waiting for mine to update.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7834 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You can't update the firmware manually. It will just do it by itself. You'll just have to wait. I had picture quality issues with my 55", but I didn't have any issues with the 60". I'm still waiting for mine to update.

Hmm, that's odd. Never saw a device that doesn't let you manually update the firmware. There's gotta be a hidden way to do it smile.gif

Watching some nature program now and I don't notice any artifacts, then again it's day time.

It's definitely a beautiful picture!
post #7835 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Hmm, that's odd. Never saw a device that doesn't let you manually update the firmware.

Then you've never seen a Vizio TV. Firmware updates are based solely on when Vizio pushes it to your TV. Features of new firmware are published in the respective owner's manuals well before the TVs start receiving the firmware updates (weeks to several months). Vizio also does not publish anything about what the current and former firmware versions are. There are no release dates for Vizio firmware. Vizio is way outside industry standards for firmware updates, and it is a significant disappointment to many of its customers.

To give you an example of the timeline involved, many are still waiting for a firmware update that includes a feature that was shown in the owners manuals sometime before mid November of 2013.
post #7836 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Hmm, that's odd. Never saw a device that doesn't let you manually update the firmware. There's gotta be a hidden way to do it smile.gif

Watching some nature program now and I don't notice any artifacts, then again it's day time.

It's definitely a beautiful picture!

No hidden way, you just have to wait for your device to be in the queue.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #7837 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Then you've never seen a Vizio TV. Firmware updates are based solely on when Vizio pushes it to your TV. Features of new firmware are published in the respective owner's manuals well before the TVs start receiving the firmware updates (weeks to several months). Vizio also does not publish anything about what the current and former firmware versions are. There are no release dates for Vizio firmware. Vizio is way outside industry standards for firmware updates, and it is a significant disappointment to many of its customers.

To give you an example of the timeline involved, many are still waiting for a firmware update that includes a feature that was shown in the owners manuals sometime before mid November of 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

No hidden way, you just have to wait for your device to be in the queue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Wow. That's really bizarre. Why do they do this?

Also, do I need to "enroll" the TV somehow or is it purely automatic just by having it on my wifi?

Then the other issue this raises is, what's their policy as far as long term software support? Will there be firmware updates and VIA updates in a year? 2 years? More?

The built-in apps are OK, but of course the problem with internet apps is that the services are always changing. I have other devices connected to the TV, so if VIA stopped working tomorrow it wouldn't be a big deal, but still, it'd be nice to have an idea how long I can expect them to work before the TV is basically a monitor (albeit with a nice picture).
post #7838 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettcp View Post

Anybody have a release date on the M801i (80") ? Looking to pick up an 80", but trying to hold out for this one to be released.

I do not think the M801i is part of the new 2014 line up. I think it is a continuation of the 2013 series. You have to wait a little longer for the true 2014 series. The M801i is lacking FLAD, comes with the same wifi remote and 3D so it looks as if it's the same as the M801d minus 3D is all.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #7839 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Those of you who just recently got updates, is your TV connected to the internet via WiFi or ethernet cable? I'm starting to think I'm not getting updates because I'm connected via WiFi. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to why I haven't received a firmware update since I purchased the set back in July.
post #7840 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I do not think the M801i is part of the new 2014 line up. I think it is a continuation of the 2013 series. You have to wait a little longer for the true 2014 series. The M801i is lacking FLAD, comes with the same wifi remote and 3D so it looks as if it's the same as the M801d minus 3D is all.

Hmm, I thought all of the 2014 M series were going to be full array, but it looks like you're right according to the comparison chart here:

http://store.vizio.com/m801ia3.html

So I take it this means there will not be a full array 80" coming out anytime within the next few months? I was waiting for the M801i to be released, but if the only difference between it and the current M801d is 3D support, I may as well just pick up an M801d and not have to wait. I have a Sharp LC-80LE857U being returned (defective) next week so I'd like to make a choice soon so I'm not out of a TV for a while.
post #7841 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Those of you who just recently got updates, is your TV connected to the internet via WiFi or ethernet cable? I'm starting to think I'm not getting updates because I'm connected via WiFi. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to why I haven't received a firmware update since I purchased the set back in July.

I was connected via Wifi and updated fine.
post #7842 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

You will get better contrast and deeper blacks with FLAD but the 2013 sets were no slouch on these features as they preform very well as an edge lit set.

The current M series may be no slouch in contrast compared to other compatibly priced edgelit televisions but they leave a lot to be desired compared to plasmas and FALD TVs. And just as importantly the current M series suffers from edge light leakage and blatant blooming when its dimming scheme is engaged. If Vizio executes on their new specs then PQ should improved significantly.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #7843 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone with a 2013 M651 received a firmware update past 1.06? I haven't seen anyone comment on it, if it's happened.
post #7844 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

The current M series may be no slouch in contrast compared to other compatibly priced edgelit televisions but they leave a lot to be desired compared to plasmas and FALD TVs. And just as importantly the current M series suffers from edge light leakage and blatant blooming when its dimming scheme is engaged. If Vizio executes on their new specs then PQ should improved significantly.

My M651 is very very close, but not quite as good in the picture quality as my 50" Panasonic plasma. That said I get almost no blooming, and the light leakage is not at all noticeable while viewing anything but a no-signal black screen. The trade off is the highly glossy screen, which doesn't affect us in our viewing environment.
post #7845 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

WIFI..keep in mind also this tv was new when I got the 1.25 update. Oh and I am a huge Dolphin fan.
post #7846 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think FLAD will improve the PQ no doubt, but significantly so I wouldn't say that. That to me implies these current sets do not perform as well as they do. I would say going from an 8 to a 10 is not a significant leap but it is an improvement.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #7847 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahusker View Post

Has anyone with a 2013 M651 received a firmware update past 1.06? I haven't seen anyone comment on it, if it's happened.

I wish, I have been waiting as well!!

post #7848 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will improve the PQ no doubt be improved, buy significantly so I wouldn't say that. That to me implies these current sets do not perform as well as they do. I would say going from an 8 to a 10 is not a significant leap but it is an improvement.

Full array televisions with true local dimming if executed well can achieve near like plasma PQ. That would be a significant improvement over the existing M series IMO.

And yes, I have personal experience in judging the PQ of the current M series as I tried out 3 of them.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7849 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Full array televisions with true local dimming if executed well can achieve near like plasma PQ. That would be a significant improvement over the existing M series IMO.

And yes, I have personal experience in judging the PQ of the current M series as I tried out 3 of them.

I would have waited for the 2014 models but there is no 3d. (Stupid Vizio) 3d option is a big deal for me so oh well...if it wasn't I would have kept the Samsung 8500 plasma which I am sure is superior to the 2014 Vizio's. The 3d and gaming sucked on the Samsung. Personally I wish the 2014 M series Vizio talk would go to its dedicated thread. >>>> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510136/2014-vizio-thread-all-models smile.gif
PlayNice likes this.
post #7850 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

And to the princess, the removal of a pea from under 20 mattresses was a significant improvement in comfort. A huge majority of M series buyers are happy with their purchase, based on the reviews from buyers at Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com, etc. The CNET reviews have also been very favorable. I compared plasmas and other LCDs and they all had their respective strengths and weaknesses. I'm very pleased with my M801d. I hope you find the set which pleases you as much.
PlayNice likes this.
post #7851 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

And to the princess, the removal of a pea from under 20 mattresses was a significant improvement in comfort. A huge majority of M series buyers are happy with their purchase, based on the reviews from buyers at Amazon.com, Bestbuy.com, etc. The CNET reviews have also been very favorable. I compared plasmas and other LCDs and they all had their respective strengths and weaknesses. I'm very pleased with my M801d. I hope you find the set which pleases you as much.

Yeah, I'm one mean SOB for pointing out the 2014 models might be able to hold a candle to a 2013 Panasonic plasma. From one of the cnet.com reviews you referenced:

"As an LED-backlit TV it certainly performs well for the money, but it's worth repeating that it doesn't hold a candle to our value kings, the Panasonic ST60 series of plasmas."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m551d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781765.html

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7852 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Yeah, I'm one mean SOB for pointing out the 2014 models might be able to hold a candle to a 2013 Panasonic plasma. From one of the cnet.com reviews you referenced:

"As an LED-backlit TV it certainly performs well for the money, but it's worth repeating that it doesn't hold a candle to our value kings, the Panasonic ST60 series of plasmas."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m551d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781765.html

While the plasma will obviously have a better picture, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of having to worry about burn-in (and yes, that is still a thing). Before landing on my M Series I went through two different Samsung plasmas and they both went back because of 1.) the annoying buzzing, and 2.) burn-in is still an issue. Sorry, but I cant be bothered to sit and baby my TV for 300 hours by watching content stretched to insane proportions to remove black bars or station logos. I also wasnt a fan of the room being a sauna in the summer time.

I love my old plasma, but people act like it just comes down to "hey, plasma has a better picture, why not just go that route" when in reality there are many other factors to consider.
post #7853 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniwolfe View Post

I would have waited for the 2014 models but there is no 3d. (Stupid Vizio) 3d option is a big deal for me so oh well...if it wasn't I would have kept the Samsung 8500 plasma which I am sure is superior to the 2014 Vizio's. The 3d and gaming sucked on the Samsung. Personally I wish the 2014 M series Vizio talk would go to its dedicated thread. >>>> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510136/2014-vizio-thread-all-models smile.gif

I think you're right venus933. In fact, I think one unspoken reason Vizio dropped 3D this year is precisely because the 2014 models will have better PQ and be cheaper. Judging from the 2013 models 3D would have been awesome on the 2014's. But If they had included 3D, everyone who bought the 2013 models would just sell or return their set for the new models (and we all know some will anyway).

I love my 2013 M, but if the 2014 M are better, 3D is the only thing keeping me loyal at this point. Which is funny because like someone else posted, I didn't think I'd use 3D at all when I bought the TV.
post #7854 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:

my update on my m55 from last night was via wifi...one thing that I did a week after buying it (3 weeks ago) was registering the tv on via vizio's website (that shouldn't matter but who knows) 

This update fiasco is my only complaint against vizio and the m series...hopefully they figure out they are rubbing their customers the wrong way and correct this...end users should be able to check and apply updates on their own time if the update is available.  That and they shouldn't publicize that they provide fixes in summer and it comes late fall for a few handful...and here we are in late Feb. of the following year and a lot of users still don't have their updates. 

post #7855 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM

mine updated last night as well.

I selected the service check and then turned off via the power button on the back of the TV (which is not what I normally do)

and 2 hours later when I turned it on update was ready

not sure if the power button had anything to do with it or just coincidental.
post #7856 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While the plasma will obviously have a better picture, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of having to worry about burn-in (and yes, that is still a thing). Before landing on my M Series I went through two different Samsung plasmas and they both went back because of 1.) the annoying buzzing, and 2.) burn-in is still an issue. Sorry, but I cant be bothered to sit and baby my TV for 300 hours by watching content stretched to insane proportions to remove black bars or station logos. I also wasnt a fan of the room being a sauna in the summer time.

I love my old plasma, but people act like it just comes down to "hey, plasma has a better picture, why not just go that route" when in reality there are many other factors to consider.

You're correct, there are legitimate reasons not to buy a plasma (gaming, passive 3D, and possible image retention are 3 that come to mind) but two of the reasons you stated are exaggerated IMO. While plasmas give out more heat it's not enough to effect the ambient temperature of a room unless you're watching in a closet. Image retention (burn-in is permanent retention that you see when the screen is off) is definitely an issue and reason enough for some not to buy a plasma if they constantly watch content with static images but it's a misnomer that one has to avoid black bars or static images the first 200 hours of viewing, you just need to avoid constant viewing of such instances (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57480003-221/do-i-need-to-break-in-a-new-plasma-tv-morrisons-mailbag/). And even if you give credence to such a notion you don't have to actually watch the first 300 (or whatever number you want to use) hours as you can simply run a video loop while you're not watching television. I didn't want to turn this into a plasma vs. LCD debate but I felt compelled to rebuttal those two points.

I guess the point that should be made is that the 2014 M series may achieve close to plasma like PQ characteristics with none of its drawbacks. You know, have your cake and eat it too! That is unless you're into 3D.eek.gif

May I point out I never stated that one should get a plasma, I pointed out that top tier plasmas have the best PQ, not that they're best TVs for everyone.

Also, even the best edge-lit designs from Samsung and Sony which cost thousands more than the M series were easily outscored by the 3 plasmas from the 2013 Value Electronics HDTV shootout. My intention is not to get every existing M series owner on their hind legs but to give mega accolades to Vizio for the promise of offering plasma enthusiasts a palatable alternative to their current plasmas in terms of PQ with next year's models.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #7857 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Nah, not an SOB. OCD maybe, but they're much nicer letters. I've got a plasma and in my darkened bedroom it's fine. But in my large living room, my M801D is dialed in and looks excellent in 99+ percent of scenes. Every now and then some blooming. I'm not overly irritated by it because it's not often. And my grandson loved watching Despicable Me 2 3D last Friday. I hope you find the set you're looking for. (And the Hans Christian Anderson reference was all in good fun.)
post #7858 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

(And the Hans Christian Anderson reference was all in good fun.)

I'm going to open up a can of OCD. It's Andersen, not Anderson. He was Dane not a Swede. Now back to you regular scheduled programming biggrin.gif
post #7859 of 9861 Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahusker View Post

I'm going to open up a can of OCD. It's Andersen, not Anderson. He was Dane not a Swede. Now back to you regular scheduled programming biggrin.gif
Well a Danish can be awfully Swede, can't it?
post #7860 of 9861 Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 AM
tsc

Liked: 18
I currently have a Sharp 70" Aquos... the panel developed some clouding/ghosting issues and dead pixels. After a bit of fighting (and assistance from Best Buy) I finally got a Return Authorization number recently and ordered the M701d-A3R. It will arrive Tuesday, 2/25. I cannot wait for it to arrive. Based on reading this thread I'm crossing fingers that since it is a new order, that it will come with 1.25 firmware. I would love to wait for the new P or M 2014 models but the issues are driving me nuts. Basically, Tuesday can't get here soon enough. If the unit doesn't come with 1.25, I already have some initial settings I plan on loading -- however, if it has 1.25, those settings are basically invalid. Would love to see what those that have 1.25 are using.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page