Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I truly am happy for those who have been able to "force" the firmware update! That being said, as one who can not get to the power button on the back of my set... I will NEVER buy another Vizio product again. Having to wait months for a firmware update is disgraceful.

Why can't you get to it ... is yours wall-mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran View Post

The tricked worked for my brand new M551. So has it been confirmed that 1.25 is only for the bigger TVs? Is it just the "professional" calibration that's different?

I haven't gotten around to "calibrating" mine yet, I'm just using the built-in presets and turning off motion compensation for movies.

One annoying feature I found with the remote in wifi-mode: when it's controlling my blu-ray player (Samsung BD-F5900) it seems none of the buttons on the remote control the TV itself anymore! I hit Menu and nothing happens. Interestingly, on my Logitech Harmony remote (old style XBOX 360) when I hit devices, Vizio TV, it still works.

I saw this too. You have to hit the "input" button first to get the remote to control the tv again, otherwise it will control what ever you have paired to that input.

Other notes from v1.09:

Smooth Motion no longer shows up in the 3D mode advanced menu, so you can no longer use it to set the depth of the 3D effect. The apparent 3D depth seems to be fixed at what was the "High" Smooth Motion setting, which I preferred anyway. So that's good, though it was nice to have a choice.

My blacks seem better, though I'm still wondering if it's my imagination.

The component input is now working reliably. I have my VCR hooked up to it, and for 8 months I had no luck getting an image from it, except oddly enough my old Charlie Brown Christmas VHS tape (it was like a Christmas miracle...), or when the VCR was paused. I never mentioned it because I was never sure if it was the TV, the VCR, my pre-pro, or the long component cable I'm using. Turns out it was the TV after all because it's working great since the update.

The "HDTV Settings" widget is working again.

Everything seems a bit more stable

I was surprised to find the Vizio even had the remote code for my VCR. So far I'm enjoying the wi-fi remote more than I thought I would.
post #8013 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I just registered my 70, lets see what happens.

Purchased 2/2/14, FW 108.
post #8014 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Even flush mounted to the wall you should be able to reach the button because of the angled back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr852 View Post

I truly am happy for those who have been able to "force" the firmware update! That being said, as one who can not get to the power button on the back of my set... I will NEVER buy another Vizio product again. Having to wait months for a firmware update is disgraceful.
bill875 likes this.
post #8015 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
"Smooth Motion no longer shows up in the 3D mode advanced menu, so you can no longer use it to set the depth of the 3D effect. The apparent 3D depth seems to be fixed at what was the "High" Smooth Motion setting"

What's this all about? Smooth Motion controls the depth of the 3D effect? I think I've read all 268 pages of this forum, and this is the first I've heard of this. What have I been missing?
post #8016 of 9836 Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post

I saw this too. You have to hit the "input" button first to get the remote to control the tv again, otherwise it will control what ever you have paired to that input.

Other notes from v1.09:

Smooth Motion no longer shows up in the 3D mode advanced menu, so you can no longer use it to set the depth of the 3D effect. The apparent 3D depth seems to be fixed at what was the "High" Smooth Motion setting, which I preferred anyway. So that's good, though it was nice to have a choice.

Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

On mine, the Smooth Motion is locked on 'medium' when I'm watching 3d. The Smooth Motion menu item is there, but it is grayed out and you cannot change it. This hasn't changed between my old firmware and the new 1.09.
post #8017 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

"Smooth Motion no longer shows up in the 3D mode advanced menu, so you can no longer use it to set the depth of the 3D effect. The apparent 3D depth seems to be fixed at what was the "High" Smooth Motion setting"

What's this all about? Smooth Motion controls the depth of the 3D effect? I think I've read all 268 pages of this forum, and this is the first I've heard of this. What have I been missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Can you elaborate what you mean by this?

On mine, the Smooth Motion is locked on 'medium' when I'm watching 3d. The Smooth Motion menu item is there, but it is grayed out and you cannot change it. This hasn't changed between my old firmware and the new 1.09.

Sorry... looks like I typed before I had all the facts. I was streaming a 3D file and didn't have the Smooth Motion option in the Advanced menu (which I think is normal for streaming files). I just checked both Netflix and youTube in 3D and both times the Smooth Motion setting was there, but greyed out, just like previous firmware versions. However (unless I'm mistaken again), I no longer seem to be able to access the greyed out parts of the 3D Advanced menu using the old 3D/3D/2D trick. Which basically makes the 3D button in the Advanced menu useless, again unless I'm missing something.
post #8018 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No luck for me after two attempts at forcing the update. Still running 1.08

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #8019 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I did the Update Voodoo Dance (UVD) last night on my M601d-a3 but it did not work.

This morning I tried again, this time turning the set ON with the button in the back. However,I could NOT start the Service Check because the"Start Service Check?" message box appeared for only a tiny fraction of a second and disappeared. It displayed "NO" and I could not change it. The mystery of the TV ON button deepens ...

So I repeated the sequence using the Vizio's remote to turn the TV on and was able to start the Service Check. Am now waiting the hour to try it. Wish me luck!

EDIT: No luck! Did not update. Are you guys making up stories about the UVD?

M601D-A3R, FW: 1.34.27.0090
post #8020 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

My 40" is stuck on v1.08 after numerous failed attempts to manually update.  Oh well, nbd, it runs fine anyway.  :)

post #8021 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 AM

Liked: 14
I don't believe that the 1.25 firmware is just for the bigger TV's. The current online manual for 50", 55" and 60" has the Pro settings in it. When I bought my TV with 1.06 firmware back in Nov, the current online manual at the time had all of the 1.09 firmware features. My best guess is that the 1.25 will be pushed out to all TV's at some point and that the new TV's that already have it were manufactured since the 1.25 was developped.
post #8022 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Same here.
post #8023 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Quote:

Same here.
You're in the elite crowd of the chosen ones. We don't need no stinkin' update.

Sent from my iPad using my awesome typing skills.
post #8024 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Just got my M651 delivered from Amazon and watched my First Comcast streamed movie to it (The new Thor Movie).

I have a couple questions/concerns,

1. Motion Blus makes some seens almost un watchable. Its like watching Chronicles of Riddick when he fights the main bad guy at the end of the movie but everyone has the eerie aura trail. Even slow moving talk scenes there is pretty bad ghosting.

2. Watched finding Nemo, all characters on the screen seem to be holy as they all had a 1/4"-1/2" halo around them. This I can probably live with.

3. Thor was letter box so there was roughly 3" of black screen at the top and bottom. The bottom left and right corner seemed to have slightly brighter black, or should I say grey then the rest of the letter box locations.

Other than that the PQ is amazing. I Just came from a 5 year old Vizio Plasma JV50P and the new PQ puts it to shame easily. The issues above have me contemplating returning it.

Please advise me on how to make this better.

Thank you,

Eric
post #8025 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Same here.
Yep, same here
Firmware 1.08 The set won't update and Vizio customer service is absolutely NO HELP.
post #8026 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 AM

Liked: 13
Same here on my 80". Three times....no dice. Just wish they would let us DL the update and apply it ourselves.
utahusker likes this.
post #8027 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
In my search for an acceptable 3D side-lit LED in the 55"-60" range I have landed at the Vizio M-Series. I am currently trying out an M551d-A2. Is the only difference between the A2 and A2R the number of glasses included? I am on firmware version 1.09.38.1488, serial number starting with 47, and it has a P in it. The Netflix app is using the old interface, not the new unified interface like I saw on the E601 that I had a couple of weeks ago. Is the new interface available on the M551d?
post #8028 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post

Same here on my 80". Three times....no dice. Just wish they would let us DL the update and apply it ourselves.

I'm amazed that Vizio chooses to ignore their flagship model M-series 80"
We should be the first to get the updates. I don't like paying for something that
was supposed to be included with the tv and was not. "WIFI Direct"
Vizio needs to wakeup and make updates available.
post #8029 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

NOTE TO ALL - Be aware that these remotes no broadcast on your WiFi. If you have access to something like WiFi Analyzer on your Android device, You'll see the periodic broadcast on the spectrum. Unfortunately, these sets aren't dual band like the previous generation "higher end" Vizios.

I installed a second WAP on my network on a different channel just for the TVs so the remotes weren't on my primary channel. Remember, there are only 3 non-interfering channels in the 2.4 spectrum, 1, 6, and 11

Hmmmm, I've been having wifi issues for a few weeks now. I didn't notice if the problems started at exactly the same time as the update I got also a few weeks ago or so but I have noticed that there is a new wifi id. Can't remember exactly what it was off hand but I knew it was associated with the TV or the TV's remote when I saw it.

I tend to get lost with wifi network issues though. Can you explain a bit more about what you did? It's not clear to me.
post #8030 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10

registering the TV did not push the firmware update. guess you just have to wait until it's your turn?

post #8031 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

I'll start by saying I do NOT use a physical connection to the TVs because I do NOT use any of the "features" (aka bloatware). In fact, I delete as many of them as I can from the apps ribbon. ALSO, I've experienced a couple of lightning events in my years since broadband was in the house and in EACH event, the wired Ethernet has provided that succulent low resistance low voltage path to ground the lightning seeks and most things physically connected were damaged. So as not to go a drift here, surge protectors do NOTHING for lightning.

NOTE - If you already have a dual band router (2.4 and 5.8) with both radios enabled, AND all your Computers can connect on the 5.8GHz spectrum, move them all to that network, leave the TVs back on the 2.4GHz spectrum and you're go to go. I unfortunately need to leave some devices back in the 2.4GHz spectrum so I "cheat" by adding a second 2.4GHz network. I also have a few wireless HDMI devices in the house that use the 5.8Ghz spectrum and I try to keep it as open as possible. I'm on a large lot and don't see a lot of neighboring networks in the 2.4Ghz spectrum so YMMV. If you have an android tablet, grab a copy of WiFi Analyzer from the Store to watch what is around.

SO, if you still want to continue:

My primary router is setup to hand out IP addresses (DHCP), connect to the Provider network (WAN/DNS), ... as you should already have set. Since you said you're "new" to this stuff, I'd make a recommendation you use a LAN IP address other than 192.168.0.X OR 192.168.1.X as these are too often in conflict with defaults on devices. Go for something like 192.168.1XX.X

NOTE the LAN IP, the SSID and channel you are currently using. I turn off Auto channel and pick my poison! For example, let's assume I have my Wireless SSID set to MY-NETWORK and fix the channel to 1. I use a DHCP reservation in my primary router to hold an IP for the secondary router from the assignment pool and then use THAT IP for the LAN IP in the secondary router. This allows me to still access the administration functions of the secondary router without issues (e.g. 192.168.1XX.2).

I took an old router, configured it with the LAN IP mentioned above (192.168.1XX.2), created an SSID different than above (e.g. TV-NETWORK), disabled DHCP, set the WiFi channel to OTHER than above (e.g. 6 or 11 depending on your environment), connected the two routers LAN port to LAN port and that now provides another WiFi access point on the network on a non-interfering channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Hmmmm, I've been having wifi issues for a few weeks now. I didn't notice if the problems started at exactly the same time as the update I got also a few weeks ago or so but I have noticed that there is a new wifi id. Can't remember exactly what it was off hand but I knew it was associated with the TV or the TV's remote when I saw it.

I tend to get lost with wifi network issues though. Can you explain a bit more about what you did? It's not clear to me.
post #8032 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:23 AM

This is specific to the owner's manual for the 50, 55 and 60 inch models of the M series (they use the same manual).

I checked the pdf's of the ones I downloaded and on the last page on the lower left side is what looks like the version number of the manual based on a date code.

For the manual that referenced the 1.09 firmware updates (wifi remote), the number is 131024OC-A. I'm guessing that indicates a release date of 13 (2013) 10 (October) 24 (24th day) and I'm guessing the A stands for revision A. That fits with when I downloaded that manual, Nov 18, 2013.

On the the manual that references the 1.25 firmware updates (pro settings), the number is 140114OC-B. Following the above format, that indicates a release date for this manual of 2014, January 14, revision B. Again, that fits in with the date when I downloaded this manual, Jan 28, 2014.

So, it seems like the 1.09 firmware for the 50, 55 and 60 inch M-class Vizios, based on annecdotal evidence on this forum, started being pushed big sometime around the beginning/middle of December 2013, about a month or a month and half after the corresponding 1.09 manual went live on the Vizio support site. If that is the case, could we be looking at mid March or so for the push of the 1.25 firmware for the aforementioned TV's based on the mid January release of the 1.25 manual?
post #8033 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post

I did the Update Voodoo Dance last night on my M601d-a3 but it did not work.

This morning I tried again, this time turning the set ON with the button in the back. However,I could NOT start the Service Check because the"Start Service Check?" message box appeared for only a tiny fraction of a second and disappeared. It displayed "NO" and I could not change it. The mystery of the TV ON button deepens ...

So I repeated the sequence using the Vizio's remote to turn the TV on and was able to start the Service Check. Am now waiting the hour to try it. Wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinejam View Post

My 40" is stuck on v1.08 after numerous failed attempts to manually update.  Oh well, nbd, it runs fine anyway.  smile.gif

Quote:

Same here.

Hmm ... I wonder if Vizio put the brakes on these manual updates by shutting down their server, after the word got out that there was a way to "force" it.

This goes against Vizio's prime directive of not allowing their customers to manually download and install firmware updates themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did shut it down.
rakstr likes this.
post #8034 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:33 AM

Hello gang

I purchased the M701dA3R on 2/1/14, the firmware version on it is 1.05.1.0000, I have read the previous posts, particularly the one about forcing the update, but after many attempts and varying the method of turning the tv on and off, I have had no luck at all.

My experience with Vizio customer service has been similar to the rest of yours, except that they do no recognize that there is a version 1.25 and that the latest is 1.09. They did tell me that a wired connection may yield better results than a wireless connection, and that it is recommended that the tv needs to be no less than 30 feet away from your router with no walls or doors or similar obstructions. Now, I did state how unusual that sounds and that there would be very few individuals that could adhere to such a restriction. They also stated that the tv does look for an update once every 24 hours but only looks while the tv is powered off.

Of course I only took these comments at face value, I also talked to him about the wireless connection seeming to have to reconnect every time you turn on the tv and he stated that this was just the tv renewing it's ip address and it should not be an issue.

In the end, he said he can do nothing else and I just have to wait, I may try and leave the tv off for a 24 hour period to see if that does indeed yield results.

As far as the tv itself goes, I am mostly pleased with it, I adjusted the picture settings using HD DVD Basics and the Disney WOW blur-ray discs, the 3D is much more comfortable to watch based on previous experience with active shutter technology, except that you cannot sit back farther than approximately 8 feet and need to be sitting dead center of the tv at right angles. I am making adjustments to my home theater area to help better accommodate the viewing angles. The colors, level of detail and contrast ratio are really great and a big step up from my previous tv.

I have the same issues as others with the remote, currently using a harmony, I cannot comment on the audio as I use a separate audio system. If I ever get the tv to update it's software will let you all know what happens.
post #8035 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

While we'll never be able to prove anything, I call BUNK smile.gif

My 70" sat powered off upstairs for 3 weeks as I was too busy to go up and relax smile.gif My 65 downstairs got all the use!!!!!

As soon as I saw "the dance" a couple nights ago, I did such dance and the 70" updated, on a wireless network. My only wish is I had done both the 65" and the 70" simultaneously but my years of debugging problems told me not to !!!!

Additionally, a 40" version that I added to a bedroom about 4 weeks ago updated straight out of the box to 1.09. I also recall the 70 doing an initial update as well to 1.08 back in November. My 65 is stuck on 1.06

I agree that the appearance is Vizio has shut the door to the barn at this point in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerate View Post

Hello gang

I purchased the M701dA3R on 2/1/14, the firmware version on it is 1.05.1.0000, I have read the previous posts, particularly the one about forcing the update, but after many attempts and varying the method of turning the tv on and off, I have had no luck at all.

My experience with Vizio customer service has been similar to the rest of yours, except that they do no recognize that there is a version 1.25 and that the latest is 1.09. They did tell me that a wired connection may yield better results than a wireless connection, and that it is recommended that the tv needs to be no less than 30 feet away from your router with no walls or doors or similar obstructions. Now, I did state how unusual that sounds and that there would be very few individuals that could adhere to such a restriction. They also stated that the tv does look for an update once every 24 hours but only looks while the tv is powered off.

Of course I only took these comments at face value, I also talked to him about the wireless connection seeming to have to reconnect every time you turn on the tv and he stated that this was just the tv renewing it's ip address and it should not be an issue.

In the end, he said he can do nothing else and I just have to wait, I may try and leave the tv off for a 24 hour period to see if that does indeed yield results.

As far as the tv itself goes, I am mostly pleased with it, I adjusted the picture settings using HD DVD Basics and the Disney WOW blur-ray discs, the 3D is much more comfortable to watch based on previous experience with active shutter technology, except that you cannot sit back farther than approximately 8 feet and need to be sitting dead center of the tv at right angles. I am making adjustments to my home theater area to help better accommodate the viewing angles. The colors, level of detail and contrast ratio are really great and a big step up from my previous tv.

I have the same issues as others with the remote, currently using a harmony, I cannot comment on the audio as I use a separate audio system. If I ever get the tv to update it's software will let you all know what happens.
88ronin likes this.
post #8036 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Do you guys honestly believe that SO many people tried it that they nixed the ability to do a manual update? I don't. Maybe a couple hundred from here (and I'd say that's being generous) tried it. That's likely not even a blip on their radar.
post #8037 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

While we'll never be able to prove anything, I call BUNK smile.gif

I agree, these Vizio CSR's know squat (aside from the one that gave jakindacrack those instructions).

If you can say (or type) the following, you can be a Vizio CSR: "Your Vizio TV is designed to update itself. You should be receiving the new firmware shortly, please be patient. Have a nice day!"

They will say the most ridiculous things in order to get you off the phone, like making sure you don't have any walls or doors between your TV and the router, or else your TV won't update ... LOL
post #8038 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Do you guys honestly believe that SO many people tried it that they nixed the ability to do a manual update? I don't. Maybe a couple hundred from here (and I'd say that's being generous) tried it. That's likely not even a blip on their radar.

Yes, but I'm fairly certain they do read these forums.
rakstr likes this.
post #8039 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Now if they would only contribute and try to please customers as other vendors do in other forums!!!

IF you're listening Vizio, after the 1.09 update, the Menu key does not work after the TV has been off for awhile and/or you haven't touched the remote for awhile (WiFi paired that is).

I ask that others try this. When you go to turn on the TV next (presuming it's been off for awhile), press the menu key. You'll note it does nothing. To get to the menu I have to use the VIA button and then select the HDTV Settings from the ribbon. At that point, the Menu key will function UNTIL you don't use the remote for and "un-calculated" period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Yes, but I'm fairly certain they do read these forums.
post #8040 of 9836 Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 AM

I tried to update it but I could not get it to update I have 1.06 firmware. It really doesnt matter for this set cause I am bringing it back for the 60". I hope I get the latest firmware on that set
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page