post #8101 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn141 View Post

Did yo
Did you use the ok button on the remote to select it or the one on the back of the tv? I've tried it both ways with no luck yet frown.gif

On the subject of Amazon instant video, I watched about 30 minutes of The Avengers the other night but then the movie hung up.

I used the ok button. I am not even going to use the smart apps on this tv, sounds like they do not work very well. I have a ps4, ps3, AVR and a laptop next to me that have all the smarts I need lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniwolfe View Post

Owners with 1.25 firmware I need your assistance!

I need you to do a test for me....it seems that custom pictures modes do not work on my TV. Here is a simple test. Adjust your color settings to 0....should look like B&W..ok? NOW...switch to a different Picture Mode...then go back to your custom mode you set color to Zero. Do you notice that even though color is set to 0, the color is reset to default?

This issue seems to happen with Contrast, Brightness and Tint as well.

Backlight and sharpness seem to stick though ...also Color Tuner settings don't reset.

Would like to know if its my TV M60 or its the Firmware....thanks.

I have a feeling that is why only recent manufactured tv's get 1.25 and no one is getting it via wifi update if 1.25 firmware is truely broken.

I think you have to name and save the custom settings before they stick.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #8103 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. I've got back many pages to find out the correct steps to manually try to force a firmware update.
I haven't been able to identify the steps other than it involves turning off the switch in the back and waiting some time before turning the set back on.

Could someone please list the step by step to try to force the update?
I'm still on 1.08 and would like to see if I can get the update.

Much appreciated.
Thanks.
post #8104 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 07:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post

I used the ok button. I am not even going to use the smart apps on this tv, sounds like they do not work very well. I have a ps4, ps3, AVR and a laptop next to me that have all the smarts I need lol

Thanks I will give it a few more tries before I get the sledge hammer out to adjust it. I have used netflix and vudu a couple of times and they seem to work great.
post #8105 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM

I just thought of a question for you guys. Would HDMI-ARC provide better sound quality than SPDIF? My Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver is a 2008 or 2009 model and doesn't have HDMI-ARC, so I'm using SPDIF for 5.1 audio from my TV (just got the Vizio M551 last week). My previous TV only passed through sound from the built-in tuner, so all my devices had to go to the receiver, but I discovered the Vizio DOES passthrough audio from anything apparently. Plus since the receiver is HDMI 1.3, I don't think it works with 3D from my blu-ray player, so I connected that directly to the TV.

I've got the Vizio remote configured now so it can control my blu-ray player, and the volume keys control the receiver. I also have an older Harmony but I like the Vizio one better.

So, again, would HDMI-ARC provide better sound quality than SPDIF? Should I look to trade up my receiver?
post #8106 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks, HAPPIOUR.

I bought the M651D-A2R last night at my Costco (Raleigh NC). 8 glasses, 1.25 firmware out of the box.

Vizio has probably realized it is less expensive to include the 4 extra glasses (their cost is probably 60 cents) than manage separate SKUs .

Quote:

The label on the side of my box says M651D-A2R. Label will also say 8 Glasses. How did this end up at Costco. I bought this in the Virginia Beach, VA Costco. It came with the 1.25 firmware which sucks, because I have no idea how to fix the color and all that (has professional picture mode) To tell you the truth my Samsung 52 inch A750 has a better hd picture viewing regular tv. Blu Ray and playing Playstation 4 games are great though. Playing Battlefield 4 is great on the tv. I have to say that movement of when I use the ps4 controller happens right when I hit a button or move a thumb stick. I even have my PS4 running thru my Yamaha 671 receiver and then receiver to tv and there seems to be no input lag. When I hit the fire button it reacts right then smile.gif I like the 3d, but it does not seem to be right in your face. To me it just gives the picture more depth. I like my friends Samsung plasma 3D better. Picture actually came at you. I am sure I need to tweak the tv more, but not sure if you can tweak the 3D. I watched Pacific Rim and it looked great in 3d, but I wanted pow in your face lol I will buy Avatar and try that since I watched it in the theater I know what that 3d should look like.
rakstr likes this.
post #8107 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Has anyone with a 65" (or other) tried a reset to factory BEFORE doing the firmware dance? I hate to do it but nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!
post #8108 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

Thanks, HAPPIOUR.

I bought the M651D-A2R last night at my Costco (Raleigh NC). 8 glasses, 1.25 firmware out of the box.

Vizio has probably realized it is less expensive to include the 4 extra glasses (their cost is probably 60 cents) than manage separate SKUs .

Nice. Yeah it was funny when my brother said I had 8 glasses. Then I saw 1.25 and I was like really!! Not sure if 1.25 is a good thing. Not many people have it so no settings for it yet. Is your picture a little grainy looking when watching regular hd tv? My Samsung made regular tv viewing great...Not sure if it is just, because of the size. I went from a 52 to this 65. I sit almost 12 feet away so I would think the picture should look smooth. Blue Ray and games look great so far. I wish the 3d would jump out at you more though.
post #8109 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM

My main TV source is a Tivo. I watched part of a show last night and lit looked really good - I didn't notice it being grainy. I sit about 16' away. It was shark tank, so not much action or movement :-)

I bought a calibration disc, I'll try to play with it this weekend and see how it goes.

I agree on the 3d (at least on my M55). But I will say, the trailing credit animations on Despicable Me 2 really popped out great (much more than the rest of the movie) - so it makes me wonder if it is the TV or the content.

Quote:

Nice. Yeah it was funny when my brother said I had 8 glasses. Then I saw 1.25 and I was like really!! Not sure if 1.25 is a good thing. Not many people have it so no settings for it yet. Is your picture a little grainy looking when watching regular hd tv? My Samsung made regular tv viewing great...Not sure if it is just, because of the size. I went from a 52 to this 65. I sit almost 12 feet away so I would think the picture should look smooth. Blue Ray and games look great so far. I wish the 3d would jump out at you more though.
post #8110 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've found that using a disk for optimizing settings is better than copying someone else's settings. Also, turning off everything in the advanced picture menu, and leaving smart dimming on and film mode to auto helps.
post #8111 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Has anyone with a 65" (or other) tried a reset to factory BEFORE doing the firmware dance? I hate to do it but nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!
I haven't tried that, but I also gave up trying. I have to move my component enclosure every time I unplug my tv. After 4 unsuccessful attempts to get the new firmware, I gave up.
post #8112 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahusker View Post

I've found that using a disk for optimizing settings is better than copying someone else's settings. Also, turning off everything in the advanced picture menu, and leaving smart dimming on and film mode to auto helps.

I will try this thanks. Will the disc like WOW help when we have professional settings now? I have no idea how to use that and someone else mentioned we might need some kind of color tool for it.
post #8113 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yedgee View Post

Hi all. I've got back many pages to find out the correct steps to manually try to force a firmware update.
I haven't been able to identify the steps other than it involves turning off the switch in the back and waiting some time before turning the set back on.

Could someone please list the step by step to try to force the update?
I'm still on 1.08 and would like to see if I can get the update.

Much appreciated.
Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7890#post_24407778

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #8114 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I will try this thanks. Will the disc like WOW help when we have professional settings now? I have no idea how to use that and someone else mentioned we might need some kind of color tool for it.
The Wow disk will work well for setting up the color, brightness, contrast, and sharpness. The next step is having a professional calibrate your set using special equipment.
post #8115 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edh72 View Post

My main TV source is a Tivo. I watched part of a show last night and lit looked really good - I didn't notice it being grainy. I sit about 16' away. It was shark tank, so not much action or movement :-)

I bought a calibration disc, I'll try to play with it this weekend and see how it goes.

I agree on the 3d (at least on my M55). But I will say, the trailing credit animations on Despicable Me 2 really popped out great (much more than the rest of the movie) - so it makes me wonder if it is the TV or the content.

Yea my 65 looks grainy if that is the correct word to use. It's like I can see the pixels I guess. Colors are def washed out (because professional setting not set up I guess) I am glad for the Costco 90 day return policy. If I can't get the tv to look good it's going back and I will wait for the Samsung H7150. Playing Battlefield 4 or watching a blu-ray is great, but man tv watching sucks to me. One other thing this thing is def a mirror. When watching a dark scene in a movie I am in the movie lol I do not have any windows or lights behind me either. My Samsung was like this, but not as mirror like. I like it, because it makes movies pop more, but the this Vizio might be a little overboard. I will give it a few weeks mayb and see what else comes out of professional settings. I am also looking at the Sharp LC70SQ15U that just came out....I just want a wow picture like I first got on my Samsung.

One other thing for those who play games. This tv is great with input lag. As soon as I do something with the controller it does it. I might keep the tv just for that lol I was playing the other night and this guy snuck up to me and I heard him with my 7.1 sound system and I turned so fast and shoot him I was amazed. I did this twice to the same guy. He must have been like what the???? LOL
post #8116 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:

The Wow disk will work well for setting up the color, brightness, contrast, and sharpness. The next step is having a professional calibrate your set using special equipment.

In 1.25 firmware color settings is gone. They put it in the professional settings. So I assume using wow disc will be usless now for color? Thanks
post #8117 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:

In 1.25 firmware color settings is gone. They put it in the professional settings. So I assume using wow disc will be usless now for color? Thanks
You still have the picture mode menu. That has the same adjustments that most sets have. Contrast, color, sharpness, and brightness. The professional settings are for a calibration expert to use.
post #8118 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:

You still have the picture mode menu. That has the same adjustments that most sets have. Contrast, color, sharpness, and brightness. The professional settings are for a calibration expert to use.

I will check later, but I think under color temp under advance settings it only shows Cool, Normal and Computer and you can not do anything. I think in professional settings they now have all this crazy color stuff that I have no idea what to do with lol Do you have the 65 inch with 1.25?
post #8119 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Your contrast, color and sharpness seem kinda high. Also, try turning your black detail, smooth motion, signal noise and block noise settings to OFF. Also, try the Smart Dimming ON, which I find is one of the best features of the M-series as it really improves the black levels.

===========================

You can try these settings from Ursa, but they are geared more towards the 601, 701 and 801 TVs:

Picture mode: Game
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 57
Contrast: 53
Color: 40
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50

Color Temp: Normal
Red Gain: 148
Green Gain: 117
Blue Gain: 130
Red Offset: 130
Green Offset: 129
Blue Offset: 128

Auto Bright: off
Black detail: off
Smart dimming: off
Smooth motion: off
Reduce signal noise: off
Reduce block noise: off
Film mode: auto

=====================

The following are the settings that I personally use on my M701, which is a combination of Ursa's settings and some Calibrated Dark settings that another member posted earlier... I find this gives a very nice natural look when watching TV at night in a dim setting, with just the right amount of color pop and with nice black levels:

Picture mode: Game
Backlight: 35
Brightness: 55
Contrast: 70
Color: 35
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 20

Color Temp: Custom

Auto Bright: off
Black detail: off
Smart dimming: ON
Smooth motion: off
Reduce signal noise: off
Reduce block noise: off
Film mode: auto

Of course, if you have a lot of ambient light, you may want to jack up the backlight, brightness and color settings to suit your own needs. Fiddle around with it, and I recommend using Ursa's settings as a starting point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniwolfe View Post

Well keep in mind....if I used those settings lol

I have old ass eyes too so lets see if I can you.

These are what I use with my 60 inch with firmware 1.25

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Calibrated
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 80
Color: 46
Tint: -7
Sharpness: 15

---
Colour temperature: Computer

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Black Detail: Off
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Thanks guys for the settings i will try them out. I returned the M55 yesterday and got the M60 very happy the screen on the 60 is almost perfect a 100x better then the 55 maybe thats why my settings were off, again guys i will try those setting and report back thanks again
post #8120 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I will check later, but I think under color temp under advance settings it only shows Cool, Normal and Computer and you can not do anything. I think in professional settings they now have all this crazy color stuff that I have no idea what to do with lol Do you have the 65 inch with 1.25?
What 1.25 does, is it gives you the pro settings, which is extra. The other settings are still there. According to these pics. 1.25 screen shots.
post #8121 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

What 1.25 does, is it gives you the pro settings, which is extra. The other settings are still there. According to these pics. 1.25 screen shots.

I don't have 1.25, so I'm getting confused by all these color menu changes that you guys are talking about.

Does1.25 still have these settings, or has it been replaced by the Pro menu? :

post #8122 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:40 AM

i can't find the post now but someone asked about a white haze kinda over taking the screen. i seem to have this issue too and was wondering if it is a defect or just how the TV is? the other poster described it as "cloudy" or "hazy". i notice it more during dark scenes. plus, does anyone have calibration methods for sporting events? these user calibration settings look good for tv shows/movies but i don't like the way they make sports work. please help. 

I have the m551d-a2r

post #8123 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

I don't have 1.25, so I'm getting confused by all these color menu changes that you guys are talking about.

Does1.25 still have these settings, or has it been replaced by the Pro menu? :

I don't think it includes the gain and offset options. Click that link I posted, and scroll down the page a little. It shows the new firmware menus.
post #8124 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:54 AM

I recently purchased the M551d and have been reading through this whole thread.  I mostly use mine for gaming and have it connected to my HTPC.  Gaming looks awesome and I have not seen any issues as of yet via XBOX or PS4.  My question has to do with lip synch issues with a HTPC setup. 

Does anyone else notice lip sync audio issues while connected to a computer?  If so what have you done to try and resolve?  I am using the computer picture setting and have SME on medium which seems to be the best so far.  My audio is directly playing out my sound card and TV is connected with DVI to HDMI adapter.  So I am able to adjust sync via VLC player if needed.  

Other things I have noticed are I do have some light bleed in the top right corner but after looking through this thread it isn't to bad.  I only notice if I look for it during a dark scenes.  After doing the recommended calibration settings on here I did reduce what I initially saw.  I do not notice any "blooming" or it just does not stand out to me.

Has anyone that has the 1.25 firmware noticed any fixes or enhancements since upgrading?

Current Firmware:

TV

v1.09.38.1488

Remote

v1.52

post #8125 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I see what you are saying it gives that color setting, but it does not have custom color setting anymore unless you go into professional. So you do not have what they have like in the above post with gain and offset.
post #8126 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

This is pro color 1.25 now..

KC-Technerd likes this.
post #8127 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I see what you are saying it gives that color setting, but it does not have custom color setting anymore unless you go into professional. So you do not have what they have like in the above post with gain and offset.
Correct, those basic settings are what you will change using the Wow, or similar optimization disk.
post #8128 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Correct, those basic settings are what you will change using the Wow, or similar optimization disk.

I will try the WOW disc. Thanks
post #8129 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I think you have to name and save the custom settings before they stick.

Unfortunately that doesnt help with my tv...still not sure if it is the tv or firmware...but there is a workaround...everytime you switch picture modes or restart your tv. You need to adjust one of the settings in the custom setting you have (contrast,color, or brightness) and it will correct itself. So let's say you have color at 50...move it down or up 1 notch...it corrects itself. Pain in the ass...but that is the workaround. So either my tv is messed up or the firmware 1.25 is broken.
post #8130 of 9833 Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran View Post

I just thought of a question for you guys. Would HDMI-ARC provide better sound quality than SPDIF? My Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver is a 2008 or 2009 model and doesn't have HDMI-ARC, so I'm using SPDIF for 5.1 audio from my TV (just got the Vizio M551 last week). My previous TV only passed through sound from the built-in tuner, so all my devices had to go to the receiver, but I discovered the Vizio DOES passthrough audio from anything apparently. Plus since the receiver is HDMI 1.3, I don't think it works with 3D from my blu-ray player, so I connected that directly to the TV.

I've got the Vizio remote configured now so it can control my blu-ray player, and the volume keys control the receiver. I also have an older Harmony but I like the Vizio one better.

So, again, would HDMI-ARC provide better sound quality than SPDIF? Should I look to trade up my receiver?

Hi. You should get the same sound quality using SPDIF as you would using HDMI-ARC. The only advantages to HDMI-ARC is the if you're connect your blu-ray player directly to your tv and you need to move the lossless audio (i.e. Dolby True HD or DTS-HD) to your receiver/pre-pro, and the convenience of only having one cable from your receiver/pre-pro to the tv. HDMI-ARC doesn't enhance the digital signal in anyway.

My pre/pro doesn't have HDMI at all, so I run my blu-ray player HDMI directly to the tv and let the player decode the 5.1 lossless audio to my pre/pro. And I have a long optical cable (and a component also) from the tv to the pre/pro. Not as elegant as one HDMI cable, but it works, and nobody sees the cables anyway... lol...
capran likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page