Forum Jump: 

post #8191 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post

Well I have the cable and tv remote programmed to the sound bar so when I hit mute on either remote it mutes the sound bar. When I turn the volume up on the sound bar with the remotes it also turns up the tv speakers so that's why it's getting annoying always having to turn the tv speakers off.

What provider?  Should be a way to set the master volume on the remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well I just tried a reset to factory. After it powered back on I shut it off at the store/home mode screen, did the power drain thing, went through the setup, did a Service Check, and then powered off for an hour. NADDA.

Good thing I wrote down my settings smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Has anyone with a 65" (or other) tried a reset to factory BEFORE doing the firmware dance? I hate to do it but nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!
post #8193 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Does anybody know how to get the tv speakers to stay off? I'm using a sound bar via optical and every time I turn the tv on I have to go into the audio menu and turn the tv speakers off. It's getting annoying!

I have a M551D-A2 and I am using the 5.1 sound bar all the time. I went into the menu and turner the internal speakers off and chose the option for the volume to be a external source. The setting stuck and has worked ever since, the only very slightly annoying thing is when I turn the tv on I have to hit the volume button for the sound bar to come on and it displays the tv speakers are off on the screen.

And as for the remote wi-fi issue I have been having, no luck yet so I did a TV reset and remote reset and I will give it another shot in a bit. I think I might have a bad remote with no working wi-fi in it.

post #8194 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakindacrack View Post

What provider?  Should be a way to set the master volume on the remote.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with TWC.
post #8195 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn141 View Post

I have a M551D-A2 and I am using the 5.1 sound bar all the time. I went into the menu and turner the internal speakers off and chose the option for the volume to be a external source. The setting stuck and has worked ever since, the only very slightly annoying thing is when I turn the tv on I have to hit the volume button for the sound bar to come on and it displays the tv speakers are off on the screen.

I'm using the vizio 5.1 bar as well. I also have that same setting your talking about changed to external and the tv speaker setting won't stay off for me on the M70.
post #8196 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM

Liked: 11
Hello all,

So close to pulling the trigger on the M701D-A3 for our new great room...I'm on the fence after reading countless reviews. I have a little time with our new house still having a few months left of construction. I'm also considering a 4k model, the p series very intriguing but I do happen to like 3D and vizio has dropped that. The price is the thing, with a possible home theater in the basement in the future a 4k projector might be the place to spend the $. The vizio sounds like it might be the best option...it would be paired with an Oppo 103 and Denon 3313 and directv. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I must have 1080p
post #8197 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm using the vizio 5.1 bar as well. I also have that same setting your talking about changed to external and the tv speaker setting won't stay off for me on the M70.

If you have CEC on the internal speaker will not stay turned off, turn off CEC and the speakers stay off.

GoldenEar Triton One's 2
GoldenEar Triton Two's 2
GoldenEar Super Center XL 1
GoldenEar SuperSat 3 2
GoldenEar ForceField 5 1
OPPO 105, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2
post #8198 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM

my new tv is in route!!!! wohoo! Just waiting for it to arrive and calibrate. This will be my first!
post #8199 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Liked: 13
Wonder if they halted 1.09 to push 1.25 instead... Maybe they wouldn't have to halt rollouts if it didn't take them 3 months to push out a few mb file to TVs.

Considering they touted the WiFi remote when this TV launched its all kinds of f'ed up that it's not available to everyone 9 months later. Kind of soured me on ever buying or recommending a Vizio in the future
post #8200 of 9833 Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcubed View Post

Wonder if they halted 1.09 to push 1.25 instead... Maybe they wouldn't have to halt rollouts if it didn't take them 3 months to push out a few mb file to TVs.

Considering they touted the WiFi remote when this TV launched its all kinds of f'ed up that it's not available to everyone 9 months later. Kind of soured me on ever buying or recommending a Vizio in the future

DITTO with respect to your last statement.
post #8201 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcubed View Post

I would rather have 1.09 than 1.25. Most of the important settings don't stick in 1.25 (Contrast,Color, Tint and Brightness) when creating a custom picture mode.
post #8202 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 AM

I finally got the Vizio M601D-A3 working properly with computers on our home network.  

I had even contacted Vizio support as to why neither the TV nor the new Sony BluRay DVD could see the computers on our home network even though they both use it to get to the internet.  Their response was that the TV could not see the computers wirelessly and I would have to run an Ethernet cable to the Vizio.  In our case this would have been an extremely difficult operation because of the way our house is built.

Well, I hooked up our AppleTV box to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and it was immediately able to interact with the computers wirelessly, after enabling Home Sharing in iTunes.  I had immediate streaming access to all our home videos as well as all the iTunes University course videos and movies.  This clearly demonstrates that wireless access is possible with the right software.  Vizio needs to recognize this fact and immediately upgrade its software!  (I suppose that we will still have to wait eons to get it installed…).  BTW, we are still on version 1.08.12.  :mad:

BTW, an additional benefit of the AppleTV box is that it provides access to iPad apps such as PBS’s video library.  We are now able to watch the Downton Abbey episodes that we missed while horsing around setting up this new TV… ;)

M601D-A3R, FW: 1.34.27.0090
post #8203 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Some wireless routers have a setting that defaults to NO wireless to wireless connections. Not knowing your make/model, you may want to investigate that. It's usually a simple check box and a reboot of the router and the devices. ALSO, I suggest you set fixed DHCP mappings in your router for the devices in question so they always get the same IP. Again, a simple table update typically and a couple reboots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post

I finally got the Vizio M601D-A3 working properly with computers on our home network.  

I had even contacted Vizio support as to why neither the TV nor the new Sony BluRay DVD could see the computers on our home network even though they both use it to get to the internet.  Their response was that the TV could not see the computers wirelessly and I would have to run an Ethernet cable to the Vizio.  In our case this would have been an extremely difficult operation because of the way our house is built.

Well, I hooked up our AppleTV box to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and it was immediately able to interact with the computers wirelessly, after enabling Home Sharing in iTunes.  I had immediate streaming access to all our home videos as well as all the iTunes University course videos and movies.  This clearly demonstrates that wireless access is possible with the right software.  Vizio needs to recognize this fact and immediately upgrade its software!  (I suppose that we will still have to wait eons to get it installed…).  BTW, we are still on version 1.08.12.  mad.gif

BTW, an additional benefit of the AppleTV box is that it provides access to iPad apps such as PBS’s video library.  We are now able to watch the Downton Abbey episodes that we missed while horsing around setting up this new TV… wink.gif
post #8204 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Well I just had my chat with Vizio support and first went through all the history of my 65", the knowledge of 1.25 being shipped on new sets, my current 1.06 is at least 2 generations behind, and the attempts I've made trying to force the update. Her claim is that the "firmware dance" only forced a ping to the server and anyone that got the update in doing this "dance" would have received it anyway in the very near future. As to my TV, she had me give her my SN, Mod, FW, UID, and REG and said it looks like my TV is connecting with the server, there is no way to force and update and I'll just have to be patient.

I politely told her I felt 3 months was patient enough and my TV does not operate properly. She said it did to which I mentioned the documentation said it included a WiFi remote capability and I'd like the TV replaced with a new in box . Well I got an instant NO to that. I then asked her to send someone to repair my TV and got a NO with a "we've promised you an update that will repair it". I asked her when and got a "you need to be patient". smile.gif

Well after making sure she knew that I knew she had no control over this, I politely told her I plan to contact Costco about false claims on a product they were selling.

I would like to suggest that EVERYONE that purchased these sets and have not received at least 1.09 enabling the WiFi remote POLITELY open a trouble ticket and contact your vendor.

I plan to contact Costco and my State Attorneys General office if I get no resolution. I've always liked Vizio because of their support and it's time to wake up whomever the Vizio exec is that won't resolve this mess.

REMEMBER, the CSR is NOT the problem and does NOT deserve the wrath......... BE POLITE!
post #8205 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Some wireless routers have a setting that defaults to NO wireless to wireless connections. Not knowing your make/model, you may want to investigate that. It's usually a simple check box and a reboot of the router and the devices. ALSO, I suggest you set fixed DHCP mappings in your router for the devices in question so they always get the same IP. Again, a simple table update typically and a couple reboots.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, the AppleTV uses the same router, using the right software.  In fact, the iPad also uses it.  IMHO, Vizio needs to wake up and smell the coffee....;) 

post #8206 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

I guess I should have reviewed mine before responding. Stupid me! I haven't spent a lot of time (obviously) but I just tried to ping 4 Vizio TVs on my net and none replied. I could have sworn this has worked in the past but, ........ I'll play some more later. Sorry for the false lead!
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, the AppleTV uses the same router, using the right software.  In fact, the iPad also uses it.  IMHO, Vizio needs to wake up and smell the coffee....wink.gif  
post #8207 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Well, I had hoped the solution provided in the thread would work, but neither the 40" I purchased in November or the 80" I purchased in July have been updated and both are running 1.08 something. I probably wouldn't even miss the 1.09 update except I bought a 2nd Vizio 40M to match the other 2 and that one came with 1.09 and the wifi enabled remote that actually operates the X1 boxes made the TV that much better. Sadly I hoped I could just swap the remotes and then use the new tv to pair the others but that didn't work and not being even remotely tech savvy I'm sure was a silly thing to even try. lol
It's quite a disappointment that there is no place to download the latest firmware. Since I've had the 80 since July and it's connected via Ethernet, there's no reason it shouldn't have gotten an update at some point. The 40 that hasn't updated is connected via Wi-Fi and I tried both that and connecting it via Ethernet and no dice on either.
Frankly you'd think it would be easier for them just to provide a download on their site to get the latest firmware for those who want it.
post #8208 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM

So my Vizio 65M seems to work quite well; what will the 1.09 version provide me that the 1.06 doesn't have?? Thanks.
post #8209 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 13
Interesting...

My M401i-A3 has firmware 1.08.15.0000 installed and connects to my wireless network flawlessly.

Martin

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-75
Klipsch Reference RF-82 II, RC-62 II & RS-52 II
Paradigm Reference Servo 15a
Comcast DVR / PS3 / WiiU
post #8210 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

WiFi remote and a few other minor things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10of14 View Post

So my Vizio 65M seems to work quite well; what will the 1.09 version provide me that the 1.06 doesn't have?? Thanks.
post #8211 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Well I just had my chat with Vizio support and first went through all the history of my 65", the knowledge of 1.25 being shipped on new sets, my current 1.06 is at least 2 generations behind, and the attempts I've made trying to force the update. Her claim is that the "firmware dance" only forced a ping to the server and anyone that got the update in doing this "dance" would have received it anyway in the very near future. As to my TV, she had me give her my SN, Mod, FW, UID, and REG and said it looks like my TV is connecting with the server, there is no way to force and update and I'll just have to be patient.

I politely told her I felt 3 months was patient enough and my TV does not operate properly. She said it did to which I mentioned the documentation said it included a WiFi remote capability and I'd like the TV replaced with a new in box . Well I got an instant NO to that. I then asked her to send someone to repair my TV and got a NO with a "we've promised you an update that will repair it". I asked her when and got a "you need to be patient". smile.gif

Well after making sure she knew that I knew she had no control over this, I politely told her I plan to contact Costco about false claims on a product they were selling.

I would like to suggest that EVERYONE that purchased these sets and have not received at least 1.09 enabling the WiFi remote POLITELY open a trouble ticket and contact your vendor.

I plan to contact Costco and my State Attorneys General office if I get no resolution. I've always liked Vizio because of their support and it's time to wake up whomever the Vizio exec is that won't resolve this mess.

REMEMBER, the CSR is NOT the problem and does NOT deserve the wrath......... BE POLITE!

Well, I definitely know how you feel. I was stuck on an even older version of the firmware, 1.05, until I was able to force that 1.09 update last week. I can't believe Vizio nixed those updates after it found out everybody was downloading it themselves. It seems that Vizio is absolutely intent on not allowing people to update their own machines. Enforcing their image of being firmware cops is probably written in their mission statement somewhere.

As far as their CSRs go, they really don't know anything. They are just trained to repeat the same thing ad infinitum ... "please be patient" ... "you need to be patient" rolleyes.gif

Contacting your vendor and the SAG sounds like a good idea. This fiasco with the wifi remote is very much false advertising on Vizio's part, for those of you who don't have it yet. Vizio needs to realize that.
rakstr likes this.
post #8212 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhconley View Post

Interesting...

My M401i-A3 has firmware 1.08.15.0000 installed and connects to my wireless network flawlessly.

Martin
So did mine and it could get to the internet. However, it could not find any other wireless device on the home network.

post #8213 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

What is wrong with your set exactly? If it is just that is is on a previous firmware I wouldn't say your set does not operate properly you know.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #8214 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

The WiFi remote does not function on firmware before 1.09. The WiFi remote was advertised as a feature for this set. Therefore the set does not function properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

What is wrong with your set exactly? If it is just that is is on a previous firmware I wouldn't say your set does not operate properly you know.
post #8215 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

I just had a chance to briefly "fiddle" with my TV (M6501d-A2). It's connected wirelessly but my DLNA server is wired. At first I could not see my DLNA server on the TV but DID see my DirecTV receivers so I went further. I determined it was a configuration issue on the DLNA server where I had not permitted the TV's IP to connect on the DLNA server. I can now see the content. Frankly I never worried about it because the interfaces on these "all in one Smart App" things is terrible. I keep a stereo pin cable and an HDMI cable connected to my receiver where I can easily plug in my laptop and use a full featured music interface. My server host a DLNA server but in this case I just use it as a NAS to get to my content.
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, the AppleTV uses the same router, using the right software.  In fact, the iPad also uses it.  IMHO, Vizio needs to wake up and smell the coffee....wink.gif  
post #8216 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The WiFi remote does not function on firmware before 1.09. The WiFi remote was advertised as a feature for this set. Therefore the set does not function properly.

Ok now that's pushing it, lol. Good luck with your fight.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #8217 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Ok now that's pushing it, lol. Good luck with your fight.

Seriously. "The set doesnt function properly"...you mean rather than point the remote anywhere you have to aim it a bit? How exactly is that not functioning properly? Talk about a stretch.
post #8218 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

Seriously. "The set doesnt function properly"...you mean rather than point the remote anywhere you have to aim it a bit? How exactly is that not functioning properly? Talk about a stretch.

A huge stretch!

I personally don't have any issues with the remote (before and after my set updated the firmware). And I also rarely use the remote included with the set, my harmony is the to go to remote. I just don't see your remote not working qualifying as the set not functioning properly. Ask for a replacement remote yes, that makes more sense to me.

But as I said good luck with his legal approach.

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #8219 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Not the point and it's not a stretch. It does NOT do what it was advertised to do and if you have one of these sets, you know the IR sucks. And I only chose to ask for a new set because they won't update the firmware to make it work and the sets currently on the shelves work. Been waiting months. I usually expect all the features advertised function on products I buy. If you don't, congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

post #8220 of 9833 Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
tsc

Liked: 18
While like other posters, I primarily use a Harmony remote rather than the stock remote, that's not to say my stock remote does not have issues. Honestly, mine works better overall in IR mode than in wi-fi mode. When in wi-fi mode, yes I can have the remote anywhere within range and it will function, however it will frequently stop responding to any commands. I have to remove a battery and re-insert until the back-light does NOT stay on (if it's on when inserting the battery, still doesn't work). This sometimes takes 3-4 battery removals. I've re-paired the remote numerous times and done a 'reset' of the remote by holding FF and enter and then re-pairing - no difference. I don't worry about it too much though, since I primarily use the Harmony.

M701D-A3R with 1.25 firmware.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page