Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Good reasons all!  Thank you.

IMHO, the Vizio CEO is not getting the word on this update fiasco.  After all, people have come to expect updates to be handled as Apple did last week, releasing an update to millions of iPhone users just two days after a security hole was discovered.  Delivering updates isn't rocket science.  

The best way to get to the CEO is probably thru Marketing.  If anyone there is alive and reading these forums, they should be explaining that retailers will have to raise the prices of Vizio products to cover the costs of returned sets, which will reduce Vizio's price advantage and thus reduce sales and revenue... as well as the CEO's tenure...:eek: 

hogman881 likes this.

M601D-A3R, FW: 1.34.44.0090
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well said. I did buy the set for the WiFi remote and not having 1.09 is a problem (mine came with 1.06 back in late November 2013). While I believe in testing, being at least 2 generations behind is a bit frustrating. The way My TV is mounted, the IR port is partiall obstructed and even when swung out to full access, the IR on these TVs is poor. Last time I had a device with IR response issues like this was an Accurian ATSC stand alone tuner , which I still have smile.gif

Great sets if they fill your needs!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

I'm always of the opinion that if the firmware is being mass released there's a reason for it. 1.25 is a great example, there seems to be a bug that reverts the settings and it clearly isn't ready for everyone. People complain and complain about not getting the update, and when they get it they complain it isn't working properly.

When my brother's 70" was bought, we were not aware the remote is packing WiFi nor did we know there is a Professional Setting (most here shouldn't be making any changes in those settings anyways). I actually have a calibration meter/software and know how to calibrate and it still isn't an issue enough to make me want to return the TV.

Not having those things aren't deal breakers for us. The TV functions fine, looks great with its huge size and great 3D. For a 70" passive 3D TV there werent many other options to choose from so we got the Vizio knowing it's a cheaper brand and will suffer in some areas. It was either the Vizio M or the Sony 750A and from the reviews I've read on the Sony its PQ doesn't match up to the Vizio M plus it costs a couple hundred more.

Now if we weren't shopping for a 70", we would not have bought a Vizio.
post #8283 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
One way to address the IR issue (or if the IR port on your TV is blocked) is to use a IR repeater/extender type device.
laserjock II likes this.
post #8284 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post

Good reasons all!  Thank you.
IMHO, the Vizio CEO is not getting the word on this update fiasco.  After all, people have come to expect updates to be handled as Apple did last week, releasing an update to millions of iPhone users just two days after a security hole was discovered.  Delivering updates isn't rocket science.  

The best way to get to the CEO is probably thru Marketing.  If anyone there is alive and reading these forums, they should be explaining that retailers will have to raise the prices of Vizio products to cover the costs of returned sets, which will reduce Vizio's price advantage and thus reduce sales and revenue... as well as the CEO's tenure...eek.gif  

A security hole is a much bigger issue than IR remote that works not getting its WiFi update, nobody is stealing your personal information as a result. Apple also did tell people they were holding their phones wrong when they had those bad reception issues.

Looking at the bigger picture though I don't think they're getting enough returns to matter. The people here on these forums are of a small minority compared to the mass consumers buying Vizio products. Majority don't even know what the word firmware means.
rakstr, laserjock II and netkrazed like this.
post #8285 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Not for a $2K investment smile.gif

Besides, no room for that either. That's kind of like telling someone to buy a tow truck to get your car to work smile.gif OR to buy an HDMI switch because not all the HDMI ports work (on your version of the firmware) when you specifically bought it because your needed X ports!!!!

We bought a car with tire pressure sensors and one of the sensors constantly reported "pressure issues". Now I could have just used my $1.99 pressure gauge every week but instead I insisted on a functional TPM system.

And I agree, most don't know about firmware which is why making it readily downloadable should not be a big issue.

The whole thing makes you wonder what is really the problem!!!!! Everyone has their thresholds for what they expected from a purchase wink.gif I don't want to cobble together a solution for something that shouldn't be an issue. This is pretty basic.

I don't want to fire this whole discussion back up again but either the firmware is compatible and they need to release it for the features advertised OR they need to own up to the fact that it isn't and we're never going to see it. Really simple.

Quote:

One way to address the IR issue (or if the IR port on your TV is blocked) is to use a IR repeater/extender type device.
hogman881 and eric3316 like this.
post #8286 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Besides, no room for that either. That's kind of like telling someone to buy a tow truck to get your car to work smile.gif OR to buy an HDMI switch because not all the HDMI ports work (on your version of the firmware) when you specifically bought it because your needed X ports!!!!

We bought a car with tire pressure sensors and one of the sensors constantly reported "pressure issues". Now I could have just used my $1.99 pressure gauge every week but instead I insisted on a functional TPM system.

And I agree, most don't know about firmware which is why making it readily downloadable should not be a big issue.

The whole thing makes you wonder what is really the problem!!!!! Everyone has their thresholds for what they expected from a purchase wink.gif I don't want to cobble together a solution for something that shouldn't be an issue. This is pretty basic.

I don't want to fire this whole discussion back up again but either the firmware is compatible and they need to release it for the features advertised OR they need to own up to the fact that it isn't and we're never going to see it. Really simple.

I didn't mean buy something to cover a defect, but if you have things blocking the port then you should consider IR extender. Personally I think anyone spending $2k on a TV need to get the whole home theater setup that j clues a universal remote.
post #8287 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I didn't mean buy something to cover a defect, but if you have things blocking the port then you should consider IR extender. Personally I think anyone spending $2k on a TV need to get the whole home theater setup that j clues a universal remote.

I think you missed the point.
The TV should work and function as advertised, Period.
Vizio has had more than ample time to roll out the update for wifi direct,
which was supposed to be rolled out late summer 2013.
post #8288 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

I've got an entire setup and do not need another remote. TV's with proper IR sensitivity can work just fine in my setup. It's THIS TV. I just replaced everything after a lightning strike fried it all. I have 3 complete surround systems in the house, one being a theater. with a 120" screen. I know what I'm doing smile.gif To clarify, I didn't mean to say the port was completely blocked or hidden and if I did, I apologize. When I said obstructed I thought it easier than explaining some of the reflective "distractions". That's what happens when you don't get specific enough. This is a short coming of trying to post concise replies smile.gif For THIS TV it works a tad better if the TV is pulled out further BUT it should not have to. I was trying to NOT get into a lot of specifics. I really DO appreciate your attempt to help but trust me, this TV is the problem.

Again, I really do not want to get into an argument as to why I should just accept the fact that the TV does not perform well from THIS perspective and I really do not want to have to justify to anyone else why I believe that.

Seriously,I believe you are just trying to help but I know what I could do wink.gif

Quote:

post #8289 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman881 View Post

I think you missed the point.
The TV should work and function as advertised, Period.
Vizio has had more than ample time to roll out the update for wifi direct,
which was supposed to be rolled out late summer 2013.

Does the TV actually state it has WiFi functions on the remote?
post #8290 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

YES, although they've since removed it from their website.
Quote:

post #8291 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no defending them then.
rakstr likes this.
post #8292 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

On my M series 801D the TV and remote ARE wifi direct. This is per Vizio
The issue is the wifi direct needs to be activated by a firmware update from Vizio.
The firmware update was supposed to be rolled out last year. Again this is per Vizio..
The problem is Vizio telling M series owners who haven't got the wifi update to just wait.
Owners that want the wifi direct are tired of waiting. mad.gif
post #8293 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Too bad you weren't able to get a screen capture of that before they removed it.

The CNET review for the M-series also mentioned something about the wifi capability that was forthcoming in a firmware update, so it's not like we were imagining it:

"Vizio says its remote will gain wireless connectivity and learning functions with a forthcoming firmware update that will let users program their devices into the remote through an onscreen wizard."

Funny enough, the reviewer also mentioned how crappy the remote was, but in more polite terms LOL.

Link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m501d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781439.html
post #8294 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson in the first gen sets they put out. They had what many suspected was a bad ground design and as you turned the backlight up (or maybe brightness), a hum began in the speakers. They dispatched a BUNCH of repair folks and Sams/Costco got a BUNCH of returns. At the time, they were significantly less expensive than the competition and IMHO that is what kept them going. Now it's not quite the same.

As I've said many times. I think they helped jump start the market and drive the price point to where it is today. I applaud them for this. I've owned at least one of each generation they've put out, retiring them to my nieces and nephews as I moved along. I've always been a fan of the value and support Vizio has offered but things seem to have changed. It's less obvious that they are providing the value price point product anymore.
Quote:

There's no defending them then.
gtbdevs likes this.
post #8295 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

vizioremote.jpg 178k .jpg file I believe it's in the manual and who says I don't wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

Too bad you weren't able to get a screen capture of that before they removed it.

The CNET review for the M-series also mentioned something about the wifi capability that was forthcoming in a firmware update, so it's not like we were imagining it:

"Vizio says its remote will gain wireless connectivity and learning functions with a forthcoming firmware update that will let users program their devices into the remote through an onscreen wizard."

Funny enough, the reviewer also mentioned how crappy the remote was, but in more polite terms LOL.

Link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m501d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781439.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vizioremote.jpg (178.4 KB, 35 views)
post #8296 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson in the first gen sets they put out. They had what many suspected was a bad ground design and as you turned the backlight up (or maybe brightness), a hum began in the speakers. They dispatched a BUNCH of repair folks and Sams/Costco got a BUNCH of returns. At the time, they were significantly less expensive than the competition and IMHO that is what kept them going. Now it's not quite the same.

As I've said many times. I think they helped jump start the market and drive the price point to where it is today. I applaud them for this. I've owned at least one of each generation they've put out, retiring them to my nieces and nephews as I moved along. I've always been a fan of the value and support Vizio has offered but things seem to have changed. It's less obvious that they are providing the value price point product anymore.

That seems to be how a lot of businesses work though. Once they established their brand and made a customer base, they start deteriorating in quality and support. Maybe they were trying to maximize profit or something.
rakstr likes this.
post #8297 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
My remote works fine with my M60 as long as I point it in the lower left corner of the tv. Ultimately it didnt matter because I got a harmony remote to control everything in my entertainment system. The cost savings compared to similar quality sets from other manufacturers more than covers the cost of the harmony remote.

I cant believe they are killing the 3d in the next series of tvs. I never thought I would like the 3d but its been one of the best parts of owning this set. I'm glad I got in on Vizio before they nixed the 3d.

I am a little disappointed that I cannot stream 3d with a wired or wireless connection through netflix because "my network is too slow". Overall I am a satisfied customer.
post #8298 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Are there any examples out there of acceptable or normal edge light bleed?  I have the M551d and i have some whitish bleed in the corners of my tv.  The top right seems to be worst that I have noticed.  Also it is only noticeable in dark scenes.  The below picture is the worst that I have seen it.  

This is 16:10 format so there is a 2inch solid black strip on both sides of image.  Im trying to figure out if this is normal or if I should try and exchange for another.  My fear is the replacement could be worse.

post #8299 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Please give it rest. I think we all know your dissatisfaction with the remote and Vizio's firmware distribution policy. You might be better off trying to get in touch with Vizio management or public relations.
Ursa
post #8300 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

Please give it rest. I think we all know your dissatisfaction with the remote and Vizio's firmware distribution policy. You might be better off trying to get in touch with Vizo management or public relations.
Ursa

I think he's showing his dissatisfaction here b/c he's already exhausted his other options with getting Vizio to do something. Personally my brother hasn't run into any issues to get upset about we didn't expect from buying a Vizio, especially considering a Harmony remote rids the "have to point directly at corner" issue and he had the Harmony before he got the TV. It wasn't a purchase made b/c of the TV's issues.
rakstr likes this.
post #8301 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismichael View Post

Are there any examples out there of acceptable or normal edge light bleed?  I have the M551d and i have some whitish bleed in the corners of my tv.  The top right seems to be worst that I have noticed.  Also it is only noticeable in dark scenes.  The below picture is the worst that I have seen it.  

This is 16:10 format so there is a 2inch solid black strip on both sides of image.  Im trying to figure out if this is normal or if I should try and exchange for another.  My fear is the replacement could be worse.

That looks like acceptable edge bleed to me. If it bothers you try turning on the Smart Dimming feature. As for the 16:10 format thing, are you talking about your source being 16:10 or the TV? If your source is 16:10 being displayed on your 16:9 TV, black bars on the right and left edge is normal.

Heh, edge bleed, motion blur, viewing angle issues, really sad LCDs just put the nail in plasmas' coffin.
littlerm likes this.
post #8302 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Why does it bother you such? Have you asked those that say "accept a product that doesn't work" to give it a rest?? I haven't done anything but respond to questions. In many posts I've said I supported Vizio in the past.

Why would you want to squelch sharing of information????
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post

Please give it rest. I think we all know your dissatisfaction with the remote and Vizio's firmware distribution policy. You might be better off trying to get in touch with Vizio management or public relations.
Ursa
post #8303 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:

I don't own this TV not plan to but I did play with it at Best Buy and could not believe I was standing about 5 feet from the TV and had issues with the remote.

There is so many issues with these TV's you think you works at least not have to worry about the remote also.

And for those saying but another remote. How about Vizio pay for those remotes. Why should the buyer have to spend the money?

If your speakers on the TV only work 50% of the time is that the buyers fault because they should have a sound system?

If Vizio is not capable of updating it's firmware within a year they should have rebuilt a remote that works and sent it to anyone with a proof of purchase. You can surely design a remote and manufacturer in a year.
rakstr and hogman881 like this.
post #8304 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Why does it bother you such? Have you asked those that say "accept a product that doesn't work" to give it a rest?? I haven't done anything but respond to questions. In many posts I've said I supported Vizio in the past.

Why would you want to squelch sharing of information????
This is my final reply to this on going saga...
1. It bothers me and I think others based on the Thumbs Up I"ve gotten that you have stated basically the same thing over and over with nothing new to add other than venting what is now your well known dissatisfaction with the remote and the lack of timely firmware updates.
2. I'm simply asking you as a member and colleague to please let it go. I don't think anyone here has a solution to your issue.
3. Continued posts on this issue and wrangling with other members doesn't advance the forum one bit.

I'm sorry that you feel treated so badly by Vizio. I hope you get your firmware very soon.

Ursa
post #8305 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:

That looks like acceptable edge bleed to me. If it bothers you try turning on the Smart Dimming feature. As for the 16:10 format thing, are you talking about your source being 16:10 or the TV? If your source is 16:10 being displayed on your 16:9 TV, black bars on the right and left edge is normal.

Heh, edge bleed, motion blur, viewing angle issues, really sad LCDs just put the nail in plasmas' coffin

Thanks for the feedback.  I do have Smart Dimming turned on and I am using the Dr. S calibration settings.  I am playing Movies via computer using VLC connected through DVI to HDMI.  The video is formatted in 4:3 but I stretch it to 16:10 as it fills more of the screen and still looks good.  I was mentioning the black bars as they will enhance the edge bleed in this situation.  I am one of the lucky ones that got the TV with the 1.09 firmware so my remote is wi-fi and I have had 0 problems at all with the remote. 

Overall issues I have had are:

1.  Slight corner edge bleed (only noticed in dark scenes).  Mostly Fixed by using Dr. S Calibration settings and helped relieve alot of it.

2.  Lip Sync playing Videos from HTPC.  Fixed by using audio delay with VLC Player settings.

Additional Thoughts:

I have not really used the Smart Apps at all on this TV at all. I have no need to since I have all the gaming systems and my computer connected to it.  If your going to be gaming on this TV you will need to change the picture mode to Game otherwise the input lag is 133ms rather then the 37.9.  I have not really compared Active to Passive 3D but to me the 3D on the TV looks amazing.  I was considering the Sony KDL-55W900a but for I have got for the 979.99 price tag the extra 800 for me isn't really worth it even without having a budget.  

CNET Gaming TV Ratings:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/

post #8306 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but tonight I recieved the firmware update 1.09. I've got the 70 from Costco that came with 1.08. I will admit that I did "the dance" a few times last week fwiw.

rakstr likes this.
post #8307 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 PM

Liked: 14
That not something that would bother me much. It look similar to mine, and it pretty much the nature of the beast with edge lit LEDs.

Aside from that I think my Vizio looks really good, FAR better than my previous LCD. It has MUCH better blacks than my old Westinghouse VLM42W2. I'm enjoying my Vizio M551D!
post #8308 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8dp View Post

Not to beat a dead horse but tonight I recieved the firmware update 1.09. I've got the 70 from Costco that came with 1.08. I will admit that I did "the dance" a few times last week fwiw.

I just got the update as well. Approximately 10 minutes ago. The remote works well now. It can even control my other devices. So much for buying a Harmony Smartphone remote biggrin.gif
rakstr likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8309 of 9937 Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 PM

thats awesome i hope i get that update
post #8310 of 9937 Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I also got the update. 1.09 is now installed. Finally! It did reset all of the picture settings though. frown.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page