Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 9683 Old 03-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

When I got the 1.09 update, my Auto Brightness was changed from High to Medium (others have reported Off to Medium) and my Audio Output was changed from Bitstream to PCM. All other values were left unchanged but like you two have noticed, the picture was noticeably different. On mine, i could visibly see less color and greyer blacks for an overall more washed out picture. After recalibrating the basic settings with calibration patterns, I had to turn up the Color significantly, turn down the Brightness significantly, upticked the Contrast one point. But tint and sharpness stayed the same.

However, there are others in this thread that haven't noticed any difference in their calibration results, or if they did, it was insignificant enough to actually see an obvious difference in the picture so this is not consistent. I just wanted to point out that what you think you're seeing is real.

At this point, I don't think it makes much sense to post the actual results (though I already have). After following this long thread, it seems that those of us using calibration patterns are coming up with fairly dramatically different numbers even with the same sizes and firmware so I don't think there's much standardization with this model. If you find someone's settings in this thread that works for you, perhaps your model came off the same production line on the same day as his. :-\

Nail on the head.. The colors are washed out and blacks not deep as before. I'm going to use my Disney WOW disk this evening to recalibrate and will post my before and after settings. I'm still mostly annoyed with there not being an opt out option for the firmware. Too big brother.... I'd leave my network disconnected if it wasn't for the fact my girlfriend uses Netflix and it's easier for her than going through my WDTV player. Vizio need to give customers the option, it's not cool especially when they force crap firmware updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 9683 Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoale View Post

If you have the Directv Whole Home DVR service running on the network in your home, disconnect the TV from it and see if the problem goes away. It did for me and others have posted about this same problem in this thread. If that works the solution is to create a guest guest network or add a router and create a separate network so that the TV and Directv Whole Home DVR network can't see each other. I almost returned my set last year because of this, but the problem is solved now and the set is working well.

I do indeed have DirecTV whole-home DVR service on this same network. Fantastic observation and advice. I setup a guest network on my airport express, and connected the Vizio's M Series via that network. The problem is solved! Thanks SO much for offering this fix. Night and day difference. This really should be documented up front so others can avoid this problem.
post #8553 of 9683 Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Glad I could help. I called Vizio twice about this, once on the first day of ownership to get help with the problem and again on the second day of ownership to tell them about the solution. That was last summer and I see the problem is still present. Wonder how many TVs have been returned because of this. Enjoy your TV.

Vizio, if you are reading this, fix this problem.
post #8554 of 9683 Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Is it a DLNA handshake issue or haven't you been able to narrow it down? I know the DTV servers show up on all my DLNA devices, even though the content can't be played.

Also, having CEC enabled on the TV with no CEC devices can cause similar handshake delays but this TV (65) with my Yamaha seems to work quite well (few second delay at times). However, it is MUCH better than the Vizio it replaced. That TV's remote would be locked out for as much as a couple minutes on each start up and it would take 30-45 seconds to turn on the AVR. I chalk up the delays in recognizing the remote to the processor being tied up (underpowered) but that's just a theory.
post #8555 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I've experienced something similar but the way of experiencing it was a bit different so it might be something entirely different but it may be the same so I'll relay my experience.

I did not ever try CEC on version 1.08 at all so I don't know what it was like before. About a week after getting the 1.09 update, my very old receiver died so I replaced with an HDMI pass through AVR and now all my components were CEC friendly so I experimented with it. I learned very quickly I couldn't use my Harmony remote with the CEC feature but I don't hate the Vizio remote so figured if it gave a better control experience (particularly if it would make it easier for my tech challenged wife) I would just use CEC with the Vizio remote. I discovered a couple issues with doing that but one of them was when I powered on the TV with the Vizio remote and CEC, the experience was exactly as you described. It seemed the TV had to come on and completely boot up before it started sending the CEC commands to turn on the receiver. Since my video came through the receiver, I got "no signal" until the AVR came on line. Took forever for the entire sequence. Like you, I didn't think it was a big deal but figured my impatient wife would be hitting power buttons and input buttons and whatnot thinking it was all out of sync. That and the fact the color buttons don't function correctly for the Hopper I just turned off CEC and when back to using the Harmony. I turn CEC on manually when I intend on watching something straight from the TV such as OTA or streaming, both of which is rare for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8dp View Post

I have the exact same thing. After power is initiated, it takes a second or two longer and sometimes I see the "no imput" dialogue box come up and then it finds my Comcast cable.

So is this an new issue with the 1.09 update? I have no clue when that update went into effect at all (been off the forum for a while) ... but I happen to notice this started a few odd weeks back.

So I guess this 1.09 update seem to be basically pure $#!t huh???

Plus is there a way to my TV's remote better with my IR Universal Remote and also my RF/IR TiVo remote? I have dealt with this junk tv's remote for to long ... and I do not use the basic included Vizio remote at all so that is basically pointless for me (does not control enough functions that I need to control that a quality Universal Remote can control). Is there something I do to tell my TV I could care less about the current WiFi remote or whatever it is an just work better with IR remote and not have to point it DIRECTLY at the sensor at the bottom left corner? Thanks for any help you can provide here. smile.gif
post #8556 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

So is this an new issue with the 1.09 update? I have no clue when that update went into effect at all (been off the forum for a while) ... but I happen to notice this started a few odd weeks back.

So I guess this 1.09 update seem to be basically pure $#!t huh???

Plus is there a way to my TV's remote better with my IR Universal Remote and also my RF/IR TiVo remote? I have dealt with this junk tv's remote for to long ... and I do not use the basic included Vizio remote at all so that is basically pointless for me (does not control enough functions that I need to control that a quality Universal Remote can control). Is there something I do to tell my TV I could care less about the current WiFi remote or whatever it is an just work better with IR remote and not have to point it DIRECTLY at the sensor at the bottom left corner? Thanks for any help you can provide here. smile.gif

I think most here will tell you 1.09 is the preferred firmware.

As far as myself and the specific scenario I described, just not using CEC made it so the TV started up normally and I can't say that it's a firmware issue since I never tried CEC with 1.08.

I do just now remember an issue I had a few months ago that is not the TV's fault at all that did result in something similar. After doing an update on my Harmony remote, there was a long delay in the startup process that wasn't there before. For some reason, the Harmony added a longer than needed delay in the sequence of the commands. I had to go in and manually edit the delays in the remote. You might check the delays in your remote.
post #8557 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globespy View Post

Nail on the head.. The colors are washed out and blacks not deep as before. I'm going to use my Disney WOW disk this evening to recalibrate and will post my before and after settings. I'm still mostly annoyed with there not being an opt out option for the firmware. Too big brother.... I'd leave my network disconnected if it wasn't for the fact my girlfriend uses Netflix and it's easier for her than going through my WDTV player. Vizio need to give customers the option, it's not cool especially when they force crap firmware updates.

I don't think 1.09 is a crap firmware upgrade but I do wish they add a note with the upgrade that it may effect TV calibrations and that you need to redo it. I also wish they would let you opt out of upgrades altogether. I know I don't want 1.25.
rakstr and lotohnz like this.
post #8558 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have searched this thread in vain for an answer, and I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I bought a M471i-A02 from Costco this weekend. My Professional Calibration menu is different than the M5x references posted here (CNET and Schankenstein).

I have posted a pic below of what my menu looks like. Color Tuner gain and offset ranges -100 to +100. There is also a white balance menu as shown.

Has anyone calibrated an M-Series with this Pro Menu Type? I would love to have a set of reference values in this format as a starting point before I jump in to a full cal.

post #8559 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Is there anyway to make my IR remote work better?

I do not use the supplied Vizio remote.

I think I had read back many many months ago someone found a process to make an IR remote work better on this TV

Anyone know if this possible?
post #8560 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_OCD View Post

Hi Everyone,

I have searched this thread in vain for an answer, and I apologize in advance if this has been covered. I bought a M471i-A02 from Costco this weekend. My Professional Calibration menu is different than the M5x references posted here (CNET and Schankenstein).

I have posted a pic below of what my menu looks like. Color Tuner gain and offset ranges -100 to +100. There is also a white balance menu as shown.

Has anyone calibrated an M-Series with this Pro Menu Type? I would love to have a set of reference values in this format as a starting point before I jump in to a full cal.

I have the same menus and have been waiting on someone to do the same...Someone mentioned those menus would have to be calibrated by a professional .I have the 65.
post #8561 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post

I have the same menus and have been waiting on someone to do the same...Someone mentioned those menus would have to be calibrated by a professional .I have the 65.

You will need calibration software and colorimeter to make these adjustments

post #8562 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post

In other words not happening LOL....Now I wish I had 1.09 and not 1.25 firmware.
post #8563 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post

In other words not happening LOL....Now I wish I had 1.09 and not 1.25 firmware.
Even in the 1.09 firmware to properly calibrate the 2 point grayscale you would still need software and equipment, most all the cal settings posted were done with software and meter.

post #8564 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I think I had read back many many months ago someone found a process to make an IR remote work better on this TV

I think it had to do with setting up a reflector below the sensor.
post #8565 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Aren't the gain-offset settings in the Color Tuner menu just a simpler version (2-point WB) of the 11-point White Balance?
Is it worth just doing the Color Tuner menu and leaving the 11-point WB alone?
I am willing to spend some money to get myself setup with the proper tools.
What SW & Meter do you recommend (reasonably priced) to effectively work in these menus?
post #8566 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Even in the 1.09 firmware to properly calibrate the 2 point grayscale you would still need software and equipment, most all the cal settings posted were done with software and meter.

I see. ok thanks...
post #8567 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM

I am about ready to spring for a Vizio 5.1 soundbar. However, until I do so, has anybody found some solid sound settings for the 65M with the TV speakers in the customized setting (for equalizer). In advance, thank you for sharing.
post #8568 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:

The only process I remember seeing is what josephearson is referring to below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post

I think it had to do with setting up a reflector below the sensor.

And if I remember correctly he said that just a very small piece of aluminum under the power light (where the IR sensor is) was sufficient. But I have to add falconman515, you're the first I can remember seeing that thought the IR blaster from a universal remote didn't work well with the TV. All the complaints I can remember have come from people using the Vizio's supplied remote's IR blaster and those like me using a univeral remote (I use a Harmony) don't have issues which implies the IR blaster on the remote is the problem and not the location of the sensor on the TV (though I'm sure the location doesn't help).
post #8569 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

The IR receiver sensitivity stinks too, my DTV remote and my AVR remote also have issues with the TV and they both operate everything else including previous generation Vizios just fine. smile.gif Or it's the processing, I guess I should necessarily blame the receiver smile.gif
Quote:

And if I remember correctly he said that just a very small piece of aluminum under the power light (where the IR sensor is) was sufficient. But I have to add falconman515, you're the first I can remember seeing that thought the IR blaster from a universal remote didn't work well with the TV. All the complaints I can remember have come from people using the Vizio's supplied remote's IR blaster and those like me using a univeral remote (I use a Harmony) don't have issues which implies the IR blaster on the remote is the problem and not the location of the sensor on the TV (though I'm sure the location doesn't help).
post #8570 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10of14 View Post

I am about ready to spring for a Vizio 5.1 soundbar. However, until I do so, has anybody found some solid sound settings for the 65M with the TV speakers in the customized setting (for equalizer). In advance, thank you for sharing.

I hardly ever use the internal speakers, but when I do I'd rather they not sound like complete crap. Here are some audio eq settings that are working for me (remember each input has it's own Audio setup):

Audio Mode: Flat
EQ Mode: Advanced

100Hz: +6
300Hz: +6
1KHz: 0
3KHz: +3
10KHz: +4
post #8571 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

The IR receiver sensitivity stinks too, my DTV remote and my AVR remote also have issues with the TV and they both operate everything else including previous generation Vizios just fine. smile.gif Or it's the processing, I guess I should necessarily blame the receiver smile.gif
Upon looking for a TIR prism I stumbled across this. http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/infrared/emitters/at-irprism.html?key=Y01
post #8572 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Liked: 11
Hello gang

It bums me out to report that I just found a dead pixel in the tv, It was purchased just last month on the first. I have already contacted Best Buy who stated that due to Vizio's policy on repair parts, that they cannot repair the tv, they will send a technician out to verify the problem and issue a replacement tv.

I may choose to go with another brand I am just unsure at this point, I was willing to live with the poor infrared response in the tv and ended up living with the poor firmware and the lack of professional calibration tools that were documented and now this is seriously making me reconsider my choice in a tv, when the techs come out tomorrow I will see what they have to say.
post #8573 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Aren't the gain-offset settings in the Color Tuner menu just a simpler version (2-point WB) of the 11-point White Balance?
Is it worth just doing the Color Tuner menu and leaving the 11-point WB alone?
I am willing to spend some money to get myself setup with the proper tools.
What SW & Meter do you recommend (reasonably priced) to effectively work in these menus?
I am not experienced enough to make such a recommendation, URSA should be able to help here send him a PM and see what he recommends

post #8574 of 9683 Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not horrible just not great is all.

Nothing like a normal Vizio TV's IR sensor like I had before.
post #8575 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

I use an old URC-200 universal remote with the MRF-100A RF base station. I programmed the URC via learn mode from the Vizio remote. I have an IR emitter placed right on top of the Vizio's IR receiver (near power light). I tape over the emitter on the URC-200 remote itself to ensure the Vizio is only getting commands from the base station emitter. This setup works flawlessly with my M471i-A02. No missed key presses, very responsive and line-of-sight not required.
post #8576 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

THANKS for the thoughts! I sincerely appreciate the information and am NOT dismissing what you've put together but I have all sorts of ways I could cobble together something that "works" for this one TV from IR repeaters and such but a) I need all my sets to behave exactly the same, down to the setup, operation, and remote, b) I can't have all that extraneous stuff in my setup, c) there is an advertised feature for the TV that solves the problem, and d) there is firmware available to fix this problem.

I've worked out to have my situation fixed if the feature I need is still inoperable by the end of the month and please, I really do not care to argue if anyone personally does not think this feature is important. I've got a setup where I need RF remote capabilities. I had it before on the sets I had to replace and that was one of the purchase criteria I used for THESE sets (I bought 3 and 2 have been updated to 1.09). For me, I really do not care about "professional calibration settings" because I don't need it nor do I have the tools to do it properly but I support your push to get things fixed if it was a feature advertised like the WiFi remote (yes guys, it's in the manual)!!!!!

Seriously, thank you very much.
Quote:

I use an old URC-200 universal remote with the MRF-100A RF base station. I programmed the URC via learn mode from the Vizio remote. I have an IR emitter placed right on top of the Vizio's IR receiver (near power light). I tape over the emitter on the URC-200 remote itself to ensure the Vizio is only getting commands from the base station emitter. This setup works flawlessly with my M471i-A02. No missed key presses, very responsive and line-of-sight not required.
post #8577 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin View Post

I'm thinking that's gonna be a long wait, based on Vizio's past release history.

Has anyone double-checked which "1.25" they have?
My M471I-A02 is running "v1.25.24.0234_123" and I don't think I have the "settings bug"
I realize the M47 might be different than the M5x+ TVs mostly being discussed, but does anyone have the version above and can they duplicate the "settings bug" with it?
By "settings bug" I mean the one on this video...

post #8578 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

It's not horrible just not great is all.

Nothing like a normal Vizio TV's IR sensor like I had before.

Here you go falconman515... Vizio Remote Fix
post #8579 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Liked: 11
I have a pixel/led that stays lit but is only seen in very bright/white scenes in the upper left corner of the screen. Does this warrant a replacement/return? I have 3 months to return it (Sam's club). It wasn't there when I bought the TV home last week. I'm scared it may spread or am I just paranoid?
post #8580 of 9683 Old 03-18-2014, 03:15 PM

FWIW - I just confirmed that my M471i-A02 running v1.25.24.0234_123 does NOT have the settings bug. Tint setting is properly restored after power, on pic mode change and on input change. Same thing for Contrast, Brightness and Color.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page