Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Good catch, meant to put a slash between the two!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

As long as the cable says HIGH SPEED on it, it will work for 3D. It doesn't matter if it is 1.3 or 1.4. I use high speed 1.3 cables to my Sony S5100 3D Bluray player, and it looks awesome! May be it isn't your TV, and it might be your HDMI cable or video card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Your tests point to the opp, the, receiver, and/or the cables in my opinion and not knowing how you made all these setups (same cables in all cases???) I'd begin with the cables. Monoprice is your friend!!!!

In my situation, the cables have definitely been ruled out.
post #8643 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

How???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerate View Post

I
In my situation, the cables have definitely been ruled out.
post #8644 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 AM

Because when I hook up the same equipment with the same cabling to a different 3D TV everything works and displays properly, in addition that the same equipment with the same cables displayed all content correctly on the previous Vizio TV that I had to return for other reasons.
post #8645 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

The first part is a little reassuring,the second, ehhhh smile.gif What receiver are you using (sorry if I missed that)? Is it advertised as 3D AND 3D pass thru?

So do you bring another TV to the same setup? Do you move the receiver and all equipment to another TV?

With regards to 3D or high res PQ, I've had some intermittent issues even with things advertised as supporting 3D, in particular one specific powered HDMI splitter and a 24AWG high speed cable. Everything worked fine on this splitter except ONE particular cable yet a different splitter was OK with that cable. Now to really mess with you, that cable worked fine on a different splitter.

IMHO, the HDMI connection design leads to many points of weak/partial connection and is about the worst design you could have ever made for the conditions under which it is used (cramped cabinets, horizontal connections on either axis, ...)

I've just lived HDMI cable hell after a lightning strike and some of the cheaper cables that come with devices are squirly. I replaced all the electronics but initially "tested" all the cables as you point out. Big mistake! Additionally, I've got some rather hefty but EARLY release Monoprice HDMI1.3 high speed cables that work with some devices and not with others. I replaced all my cables and it was the best $100ish I ever spent. There are also variances in the components themselves in terms of transmitting and receiving signals, and if you've "stressed" your connections already (wiggle room with cable), you've increased the possibility of problems so be real careful.

I buy the shortest cables I can reasonably use for each connection in each set up and the thickest (low AWG) that I can install without stressing the connection. In one setup I even use the very short port saver cables because I've run 22AWG cables for the longer runs (connection to the projector and remote DTV receiver in an adjacent room).

You may be on the "edge" of specifications someplace which is why somethings work and others do not. I'm not saying it's NOT your TV but I'd at the very least get one brand new top quality cable and use it to individually test your equipment direct to your TV and then get another to test it through your receiver, same port, same cable, same, ... in all cases.

Quote:

Because when I hook up the same equipment with the same cabling to a different 3D TV everything works and displays properly, in addition that the same equipment with the same cables displayed all content correctly on the previous Vizio TV that I had to return for other reasons.
post #8646 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, in response, I brought another TV to the same setup (a 30inch +/- Samsung 3D tv), I even swapped out / traded cables (all 3D ready cables) just in case and all came up with the same results unfortunately, not to mention it worked just fine with the older M series model I had to return.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-A2020 and is certified as a 3D ready receiver.
post #8647 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

I've got a 1020 (actually 3 of them) and they are stable. Have you updated the firmware? I found the HDMI ports on the 1020 to be "less robust" than the Denons they replaced and more susceptible to "stress".

I still suspect your cables.!!!!!
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, in response, I brought another TV to the same setup (a 30inch +/- Samsung 3D tv), I even swapped out / traded cables (all 3D ready cables) just in case and all came up with the same results unfortunately, not to mention it worked just fine with the older M series model I had to return.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-A2020 and is certified as a 3D ready receiver.
post #8648 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 AM

I assure you it is not the cables, and yes, the firmware is updated on all of my devices, except maybe the Vizio which is outside of my control.
post #8649 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I assure you it is not the cables, and yes, the firmware is updated on all of my devices, except maybe the Vizio which is outside of my control.

Hi. Sorry you're having issues with 3D playback. Seems to me it's probably an issue with the latest firmware since it all started when you swapped out the old tv for the new one. But that said...

do you notice any noise when you stream 3D from Netflix or YouTube? If so that might absolve the oppo and other external sources.

Also, when you are testing and getting the noise, do you turn off all other external sources? I say this because it the distortion you described sounds like the pixelation I get when I run my coffee grinder (I'm not kidding. I live in a really old house...). Some other source could be introducing noise to your signal that for some reason became apparent when you swapped sets.

Or maybe your spouse shouldn't make coffee while you're testing the 3D. wink.gif
rakstr likes this.
post #8650 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im about to lose my ****!!

I rarely use this stupid tv

When i turn it on and press the vizio button to access my hard drive to watch a movie it says searching for updates on the bottom. I watched a movie earlier n now it says searchinf 32/32 ghen after a while it stops but i cant access my drive bc nothing happwns when i press the vizio button...

Any help?
post #8651 of 10091 Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 PM

omg...now when i turn it on, it no longer searches for an update but when i try and access my apps/multimedia vis the Vixio button...nothing fkn happens!

post #8652 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheyman12 View Post

omg...now when i turn it on, it no longer searches for an update but when i try and access my apps/multimedia vis the Vixio button...nothing fkn happens!

How are you connecting to the hard drive? Through USB, wireless with a specific DLNA server...?
post #8653 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia View Post

I have my M701D-A3 connected to my HTPC. 3D looks terrible on it. The images are faded and everything looks like it has a glow. SBS or TAB MKVs look fine but Bluray 3D...not so much. One thing I noticed is that the refresh rate is being reported at 60Hz in Windows (with no higher option). This TV says it is an effective rate of 240 which is supposed to be a true 120 refresh. Could the 60Hz refresh be the problem with the 3D looking terrible?

I have a Denon 4310ci which isnt supposed to do 3D but it does (just looks terrible). I also have a Denon 1712 which does support 3D and it equally looks terrible. Both connected to my HTPC that uses a 460GTX card. The connection between the AVR and TV is definitely an HDMI 1.4 cable and the cable between the computer and the AVR I'm pretty sure is an HDMI 1.3 cable. Could the 1.3 cable make a video quality difference? I thought it was a "it works or it doesn't work" with HDMI and HDCP.

I have had a 3D laptop in the past and the refresh was definately 120Hz reported in Windows. I guess I am expecting the same thing. Anyone else seeing this or have theirs set to 120Hz?

I think I figured out my own problem but thought I would report back here in case anyone else was having the same issues. Yesterday I bought a 3D Bluray player, a 1.4 HDMI cable, a AMD R5 230 video card (specifically says 3D Bluray support on box), and Dredd 3D bluray movie (on sale at BB for 6.99 nice!) to test different parts of my setup.

1) I replace the HDMI cable in question - no change
2) I ripped my Dredd bluray to ISO and also converted to 3d MKV so I could compare with standalone 3D bluray player
3) Hooked up stand alone 3D bluray player via AVR and also direct to TV - quality looked good and no difference in either setup
4) Played back the newly created Dredd ISO and switched back and forth between inputs on my AVR. - something was definitely off with the computer. Best way to describe is it is something like when you need to swap the left and right eye but even that doesn't fix it.
5) Installed new video card and tried step 4 again - Definitely better but still something off.

Then I found the problem. In the 3D settings for TMT6, there are 4 selectors for the "type" of 3D panel you have. My original video card was nvidia and I had an option for 3D vision ready TV. That option never worked for me. When you enable 3D Vision in your nvidia control panel it is very specific that you need very specific hardware...which I don't have and when I selected it, it just runs in 2D. So I just thought I needed the specific hardware for that to work. I was running TMT6 on the 2nd setting which is "micro polarized 3d panel". While I was seeing 3D, it just looks off. When I installed the AMD card, I noticed it was still off until I checked this setting. I now had and option for AMD HD3D. When I selected that, the 3D picture was exactly the same as the 3D picture from the standalone player.

So something with my nvidia card (460GTX), the latest drivers, and latest version of TMT6 is not jiving well with one another. A $49 video card replacement fixed everything. As a side note, the AMD card still reports a 60Hz refresh rate in Windows although it does allow selection of 75Hz but drops the resolution to 1024x768.
post #8654 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btonetbone View Post

How are you connecting to the hard drive? Through USB, wireless with a specific DLNA server...?

Through the USB. I watched gravity on it earlier after it did the "searchig for updates" but now i turn it on and it says "searching...." then it just goes away and when i press the vizio button, nothing!

post #8655 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Does anyone know if the M Series supports DLNA. 

Specifically, the DMR profile for to get streamed from MediaBrowser:

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-43-new-server-beta-released/ 

post #8656 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 PM

Hi guys, I posted this in the specific M-401i-A3 thread but it seems like that thread doesn't get much action so I'm posting here as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

So I purchased the M-401i-A3 from Costco yesterday for my home office/man-cave. I play PS3 on it often and watch sports and after looking around for some custom settings I found this thread and the other M-401i-A3 specific thread. I have MOST of the below settings mentioned earlier in this thread set except for the custom color settings which I can't seem to set to these values (not even close)

Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto

Is the menu/settings different for the M401i-A3 tv? Anyone have preferred settings for these? I've gone through this thread as much as possible but most posts seem to be about the bigger models.

Even these color settings posted in the OP for the M401i-A3 for example (below) my Red Gain doesn't even go above 100, how do I set to 255? I feel like I'm missing something significant here.

Sepia Color Setting:

255 Red Gain
64 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
20 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset

Warm(er) Color Setting:

128 Red Gain
32 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
16 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset
post #8657 of 10091 Old 03-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZee View Post

Hi guys, I posted this in the specific M-401i-A3 thread but it seems like that thread doesn't get much action so I'm posting here as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

So I purchased the M-401i-A3 from Costco yesterday for my home office/man-cave. I play PS3 on it often and watch sports and after looking around for some custom settings I found this thread and the other M-401i-A3 specific thread. I have MOST of the below settings mentioned earlier in this thread set except for the custom color settings which I can't seem to set to these values (not even close)

Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto

Is the menu/settings different for the M401i-A3 tv? Anyone have preferred settings for these? I've gone through this thread as much as possible but most posts seem to be about the bigger models.

Even these color settings posted in the OP for the M401i-A3 for example (below) my Red Gain doesn't even go above 100, how do I set to 255? I feel like I'm missing something significant here.

Sepia Color Setting:

255 Red Gain
64 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
20 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset

Warm(er) Color Setting:

128 Red Gain
32 Green Gain
0 Blue Gain

64 Red Offset
16 Green Offset
0 Blue Offset

Here's the post I used for my 40". I'm very happy with the results.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/5670#post_24000376
post #8658 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 AM

Thanks for that...I hadn't seen that post. This raises another question for me though...when I go into "Color Temperature" I only have the 3 default settings and don't see those custom settings anywhere:

Do I have to do something to get the custom color temp settings?

I have a color tuner under "professional picture" that looks like this:

post #8659 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for that...I hadn't seen that post. This raises another question for me though...when I go into "Color Temperature" I only have the 3 default settings and don't see those custom settings anywhere:
IMG

IMG

You have newer firmware (1.25xxxx) which brings an entirely new professional calibration menu.
I have not seen anyone post settings for these new pro menus yet.
post #8660 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

In your color tuner settings at the bottom left there are 'Offset' and 'Gain' I'm pretty sure these are for setting your color balance. Use the settings below and see how it goes. If not good just reset to default. I don't know if anyone has tried these with V1.25 firmware.
post #8661 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM

I have been having the same issue, I only have the color tuner under professional settings. The range of each adjustment is -100 to 100 so the adjustment levels cannot be adjusted as shown above. Does anybody have settings that will work in the color tuner menu with the 1.25 firmware, Thanks!

post #8662 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM
tsc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimart28 View Post

I have been having the same issue, I only have the color tuner under professional settings. The range of each adjustment is -100 to 100 so the adjustment levels cannot be adjusted as shown above. Does anybody have settings that will work in the color tuner menu with the 1.25 firmware, Thanks!

I think a lot of people, myself included, are waiting to have any type of professional calibration done until a new firmware is released that fixes the currently 1.25 firmware issue on the larger model sets. No sense in having it done when it's entirely possible the settings won't be valid any more with the new firmware update, whenever it arrives.

You may be waiting a while.. with that said, doing my own calibration with WoW disc, I don't think my colors are THAT far off, considering I was pretty close from eye-balling, before using the blue filter. I may not even have a calibration done as I'm perfectly happy with my PQ right now.
post #8663 of 10091 Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM

Liked: 28
tested out 3d via netfilix on friday. The sound kept getting unsynced somehow. I have a pretty good surround on order so I'm not too worried unless it's also an issue with then. Any thoughts? the title was "Turbo" and the wife and I were impressed. It was pretty cool and neat to watch 3d at home.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #8664 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 AM

I don't think I have the same issues as some because I have firmware V1.25.24.0234_125 out of the box, which I think doesn't have the settings bug. I have used 3D through netflix and I will receive a message stating that the bandwidth is too low, I then select try again and it will play fine. 

Some issues I have had with my TV:

1. Lockups when doing data hungry stuff. I tried to play with my picture setting when watching a 3D movie on Netflix and the TV froze up and became unresponsive. I have also had this trying to navigate my music via DLNA. I have a lot of music so that might be the case. I have also had issues with my remote just not working for about a minute before it starts responding again.

2. ARC for sending audio back through the HDMI to the receiver for TV apps. I was able to do it with my Panasonic TV prior to this so I know it was set up correctly. I finally gave up and just ran an optical cable back to my receiver (yamaha RX-A1010)

3. CEC does not work correctly either. I can control some functions on my Yamaha, but I can't get the TV to control my PS3. It sees the PS3 when I do device discovery, but it can't get it to control it like I did with my Panasonic. This is disappointing because now I have to use the control if I simply want to watch a movie on the PS3. Any suggestions on this would be helpful.

My setup is the following:

PS3, Direct TV box, Xbox 360 all go to my Yamaha A1010 receiver. single HDMI to HMDI 1 on my Vizio 551d-A2R Tv. Optical cable from my TV to AV4 (for now) for audio on the TV apps. I also have a Logitec Harmony 700 remote, but I haven't programmed it for the new TV yet.

Overall I think this is a decent TV, but it is not on the same level as my Panasonic 55GT30. Unfortunately, the Panasonic had the dreaded 7 blinking lights of death a month after the 2 year warranty expired. I am still hoping to get this fixed as I loved that TV.

post #8665 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post

tested out 3d via netfilix on friday. The sound kept getting unsynced somehow. I have a pretty good surround on order so I'm not too worried unless it's also an issue with then. Any thoughts? the title was "Turbo" and the wife and I were impressed. It was pretty cool and neat to watch 3d at home.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be my internet. If I re-set my cable modem / router the problem would go away for a while, but then eventually return. Finally, Cox replaced my router under warrenty, and I haven't had a problem since.
post #8666 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM

I had a feeling I had a different firmware version frown.gif

I guess I'll have to get the Disney WoW CD and attempt to calibrate myself until some professional calibration numbers are out for our firmware.

As far as setting the current gain and offset to the original calibration settings from the previous firmware versions, I can't because the scale is completely different. Same numbers are not possible.

Thanks everyone for the help!
post #8667 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

New to AVS but I've been reading this thread a lot before and after purchase of the Vizio M471I-A2. I have the TV set up with calibrations from this thread. I have a Chromecast and antenna plugged into it and that's it. I'll be adding 2.0 or 2.1 set up to it soon.

In any case, today I noticed some blue flickering/static on dark images on TV and Chromecast. I turned the TV off and then on again and the TV went back to normal. I'm afraid this will happen again and want to troubleshoot it.

I've read through this thread (not every single page but damn near every single page) and haven't seen this issue come up. If it has please let me know and I'll keep looking, but if it is hasn't I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone else and if it has what can be done about it.

Thanks.

post #8668 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFlare View Post

New to AVS but I've been reading this thread a lot before and after purchase of the Vizio M471I-A2. I have the TV set up with calibrations from this thread. I have a Chromecast and antenna plugged into it and that's it. I'll be adding 2.0 or 2.1 set up to it soon.

In any case, today I noticed some blue flickering/static on dark images on TV and Chromecast. I turned the TV off and then on again and the TV went back to normal. I'm afraid this will happen again and want to troubleshoot it.

I've read through this thread (not every single page but damn near every single page) and haven't seen this issue come up. If it has please let me know and I'll keep looking, but if it is hasn't I'd like to know if this has happened to anyone else and if it has what can be done about it.

Thanks.

If you see the issue during watching TV via antenna as well as when using Chromecast, it's a TV issue. If you only get the issue with Chromecast, try hooking it up to a diff HDMI port.
post #8669 of 10091 Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bad TV? I only recently bought it so it would still be under warranty if I did have to call it in. I'm guessing an issue with the motherboard then?

post #8670 of 10091 Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

So did you determine the cause of the problem????
Quote:

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page