Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8821 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Member
 
Sacc Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxford, MS
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMak View Post

The media renderer on my M321i-A2 hasn't worked since the V1.09 firmware update.

I would highly recommend people stay away from the Vizio M-series. The smart tv aspect of the television is too new for this company. Picture is great, but not worth the price. You are paying a premium for the 'smart' functions that are behind the other name brands. Vizio forces firmware updates that causes multiple issues and are not addressed at all. I've contacted Vizio support numerous times in all different mediums they offer. The support staff are nice for the most part and seem to try. They lack the knowledge of anything technical with the M-series. Their 'engineers' don't even know the tv contains a media renderer, at least they wouldn't confirm it in my last call. This allowed the tv to act pretty much the same as a DLNA television, but it has been disabled. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from them.

If you've experienced issues with V1.09...don't hold your breath for a fix. If your issue bothers you and you are within your return period, you know what to do. I've been testing other smart tv's and they function much better than my Vizio M-series. I know most people don't care about pushing media to their tv, so this feature will probably never be restored. The other issues people have been reporting don't bother me, but those have a change of being addressed.

I would be happy if the tv was half the price without any of their smart functions. I would just add a Roku or AppleTV to it and it would work great.

Maybe Vizio will get better in their new model smart tv's. Especially if they allow the consumer to decide if they want to update their firmware or not. I was pretty happy with my tv before the V1.09 update. If it ain't broken...

You joined this month and have 3 posts... and that's not a knock on your knowledge but this thread has almost a million views and plenty of good things to say and a lot of the remote issues were fixed with firmware updates. The m55 I bought in March already came with updated firmware, so I'm not sure there's a whole lot on the shelf with the old firmware.

I also find issue with your "smart tv" price issue. That's not unique to vizio. I've said it before and I'll say it again. These tv's do not have the best picture, but if you're looking for a very nice picture, 3d and some good smart tv apps this tv has them all at a pricepoint that is unmatched. Yes there are nicer pictures, but you will pay for them. After I got all my settings worked out, I have to say this TV has left me very happy with my purchase.
lotohnz and jeffcs like this.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
Sacc Attack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8822 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
bigcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetchris54 View Post


Where did you get your LED kit from? Found several on Amazon, but wasn't sure which one was standard use around here smile.gif Thanks so much.

I've never seen this before, what exactly are the benefits of the LED kit?

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
bigcat is offline  
post #8823 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Member
 
fshbrsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post


I've never seen this before, what exactly are the benefits of the LED kit?

 

I believe it's to improve the perceived contrast of the TV and make the blacks appear darker by having a light source behind the TV. Kind of like how during the day blacks look good on most LED TVs, but some appear lighter / grayer than others during night time watching.

bigcat likes this.
fshbrsh is offline  
post #8824 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Member
 
CeridianMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcurley View Post

Yes I would love this too! I use the optical out on the tv to pass through to my 5.1 sound system. It seems doable but just one of us needs to do the work to get a custom EDID working. I have the m701d btw.

I did some more digging. It turns out the computer is seeing that the TV is Dolby Digital aware. (It's not showing DTS but I believe consensus is that DTS doesn't pass through anyhow.) What this means is that any application that can be set for DD will send 5.1 and everything else will be stereo. I think that'll work fine. I tested with a movie clip and it seemed to be true dolby versus the receiver faking it.

Next up, has anyone used nVidia 3DTV Play with one of these? I can do 720 3D just using the drivers but had trouble getting 1080P to work. Honestly I'm at a stage in life where I'd rather spend $40 than 5 evenings on getting anything working, so buying the 3DTV Play driver enhancement appeals to me. That said, my system is getting long in the tooth and 720P might work better for maintaining high detail and 3D in most games.
CeridianMN is offline  
post #8825 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

I've never seen this before, what exactly are the benefits of the LED kit?

Any light will do. Technically a 6500K full spectrum light is best. However I find that light too cool for general lighting preferences and instead use a candle light behind the TV.

Any ambient light in the room will work, like a fish tank for example to help close down the pupil and keep it closed down when the screen goes to dark scenes or black cuts. But it is especially effective behind the TV reflecting light off the wall....and not directly beaming you in the face.

The benefits at night in a dark room include...

Reducing eye fatigue from a fluctuating pupil and also a contracted pupil gives greater depth of field and thus less eye strain associated with focussing on the image. (Like looking through a peep hole).

Perceived darker blacks, as the pupil is shut down allowing less light into the retina....which also gives you richer perceived colors.

Some light to find your popcorn and beverage....and last but not least, the remote control(s).
bigcat likes this.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #8826 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Member
 
stikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetchris54 View Post

Where did you get your LED kit from? Found several on Amazon, but wasn't sure which one was standard use around here smile.gif Thanks so much.

I used THESE from Ikea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshbrsh View Post

I believe it's to improve the perceived contrast of the TV and make the blacks appear darker by having a light source behind the TV. Kind of like how during the day blacks look good on most LED TVs, but some appear lighter / grayer than others during night time watching.

^^ This
bigcat likes this.

Seth-o-Plex 11.2! - LG | Onkyo| Mirage | SVS
stikle is offline  
post #8827 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Member
 
ljn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All

Can anyone post or IM me the part numbers for replacement panel, main board, bezel and ir receiver/board for a M801d-a3? ? Need to dig up some info for a repair from a move.

Thanks!
ljn21 is offline  
post #8828 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
lotohnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMak View Post

The media renderer on my M321i-A2 hasn't worked since the V1.09 firmware update.

I would highly recommend people stay away from the Vizio M-series. The smart tv aspect of the television is too new for this company. Picture is great, but not worth the price. You are paying a premium for the 'smart' functions that are behind the other name brands. Vizio forces firmware updates that causes multiple issues and are not addressed at all. I've contacted Vizio support numerous times in all different mediums they offer. The support staff are nice for the most part and seem to try. They lack the knowledge of anything technical with the M-series. Their 'engineers' don't even know the tv contains a media renderer, at least they wouldn't confirm it in my last call. This allowed the tv to act pretty much the same as a DLNA television, but it has been disabled. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from them.

If you've experienced issues with V1.09...don't hold your breath for a fix. If your issue bothers you and you are within your return period, you know what to do. I've been testing other smart tv's and they function much better than my Vizio M-series. I know most people don't care about pushing media to their tv, so this feature will probably never be restored. The other issues people have been reporting don't bother me, but those have a change of being addressed.

I would be happy if the tv was half the price without any of their smart functions. I would just add a Roku or AppleTV to it and it would work great.

Maybe Vizio will get better in their new model smart tv's. Especially if they allow the consumer to decide if they want to update their firmware or not. I was pretty happy with my tv before the V1.09 update. If it ain't broken...

I agree with most of what you said about Vizio's tech support, but I've had no issues streaming media to my 55" since the 1.09 update. In fact, it seems much more reliable since the update. You might check to see that the IP address hasn't changed since the update (scroll down in the System Information menu). You might need to re-enter the TV's IP address into whatever media server you're using.

I've had to re-enter my IP address several times due to updates, power outages, router resets, etc. Worth a try anyway...
lotohnz is offline  
post #8829 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
rtn5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone that purchased third party extended warranty find it useful? Or would you recommend against it?

Looking forward to getting the 2014 M but we have never owned a Vizio TV before and reading the reviews makes us a little uneasy about jumping in bed with Vizio without a long warranty.

Thoughts?
rtn5000 is online now  
post #8830 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn5000 View Post

Has anyone that purchased third party extended warranty find it useful? Or would you recommend against it?

Looking forward to getting the 2014 M but we have never owned a Vizio TV before and reading the reviews makes us a little uneasy about jumping in bed with Vizio without a long warranty.

Thoughts?

Square Trade is cheap and reputable (Costco sells these at their stores these days)

You can buy it within 30 or 90 days of your purchase or something on your own straight from Square Trade.

And yes, it's a good idea to get an extended on any brand big flat panel TV.


(My 2007 Vizio GV42LF LCD HDTV hasnt given me a peep of trouble and it's on 8 to 12 hours a day.)

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #8831 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn5000 View Post

Has anyone that purchased third party extended warranty find it useful? Or would you recommend against it?

Looking forward to getting the 2014 M but we have never owned a Vizio TV before and reading the reviews makes us a little uneasy about jumping in bed with Vizio without a long warranty.

Thoughts?
I did read where someone had a 70" just recently, not sure of the exact model, that after 1 year the lower right backlight failed causing that corner of the screen to go dark. He said it was an intermittent failure. They had a square Trade warranty. Square trade sent a tech out and they determined it was unrepairable & they refunded the initial purchase price of the TV and told them that they could keep the old one.
Vizio has Square Trade available at a discount through their site and Costco sells the warranties even cheaper. Costco even doubles the manufacturer warranty so you only have to buy a 3 year warranty to get 5 years.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
indept is offline  
post #8832 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Square Trade is cheap and reputable (Costco sells these at their stores these days)

You can buy it within 30 or 90 days of your purchase or something on your own straight from Square Trade.

You can purchase anytime within 1 year if you go through Vizio's site, they have a deal with squaretrade but there's a catch. I just went to look at them for my M551D and found that you can get up to 5 years (including the 1 year manufacturers so it's really an additional 4 years which all the warranty services do) if you apply within the 1st 10 months, after that you only can get the 1 or 2 additional years.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
indept is offline  
post #8833 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
rtn5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks for the info! I'll look into getting Square Trade with the TV when the 2014 70' M is purchasable.
rtn5000 is online now  
post #8834 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Member
 
kcurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeridianMN View Post

I did some more digging. It turns out the computer is seeing that the TV is Dolby Digital aware. (It's not showing DTS but I believe consensus is that DTS doesn't pass through anyhow.) What this means is that any application that can be set for DD will send 5.1 and everything else will be stereo. I think that'll work fine. I tested with a movie clip and it seemed to be true dolby versus the receiver faking it.

Next up, has anyone used nVidia 3DTV Play with one of these? I can do 720 3D just using the drivers but had trouble getting 1080P to work. Honestly I'm at a stage in life where I'd rather spend $40 than 5 evenings on getting anything working, so buying the 3DTV Play driver enhancement appeals to me. That said, my system is getting long in the tooth and 720P might work better for maintaining high detail and 3D in most games.

Hmm, I don't know if that solves the problem. I have also played movies from my PC and yes it was able to passthrough 5.1 (powerdvd playing a bluray for example). Hoewever, if you want games to output 5.1, windows needs to recognize 5.1 speakers. With the vizio it only reports 2 channel in the EDID, so windows only sees 2 channels (check this in control panel). So forcing Dolby Digital output is possible, but most games won't automatically recognize it.
I've seen some people on the net mentioning getting a custom EDID to work for this TV, but I haven't seen a detailed tutorial (apparently it would be different for each model).


About 3DTV Play, its mainly for PC games, movies should work without it. I bought it and yeah I haven't had much luck getting higher than 720P 3D either. It is a cool effect though.
kcurley is offline  
post #8835 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EscapeVelocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Thanks for the info, indept.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
EscapeVelocity is offline  
post #8836 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Newbie
 
LionMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

Internet Connectivity shouldnt be onboard TV sets IMO. Those are always better handled with set top boxes and even USB streaming sticks. That way they are upgradable indefinitely and you dont have the extra cost in the manufacture....nor the problem of aging hardware and glitchy glitches.

I agree that the external media players are much better for handling the network streaming and web based content. However, I prefer the features built into the TV because it is streamlined. I'd rather not grab my TV remote, change inputs, grab my media player remote, and then load my video.

 

Before the update, I was able to use my smartphone and send pics/videos from the network to the TV instantly. Video finishes, TV goes back to whatever it was playing before. Seemed logical and I was pleased.

 

The cable converters will be the norm for this soon. It would be just as good as having it built-in to the set since the TV is usually on the cable input.

LionMak is offline  
post #8837 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Newbie
 
LionMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacc Attack View Post


You joined this month and have 3 posts... and that's not a knock on your knowledge but this thread has almost a million views and plenty of good things to say and a lot of the remote issues were fixed with firmware updates. The m55 I bought in March already came with updated firmware, so I'm not sure there's a whole lot on the shelf with the old firmware.

I also find issue with your "smart tv" price issue. That's not unique to vizio. I've said it before and I'll say it again. These tv's do not have the best picture, but if you're looking for a very nice picture, 3d and some good smart tv apps this tv has them all at a pricepoint that is unmatched. Yes there are nicer pictures, but you will pay for them. After I got all my settings worked out, I have to say this TV has left me very happy with my purchase.

I'm not sure about your first point. I am brand new to this forum and most people do seem to be very happy with the Vizio M-series. Does that mean I shouldn't post my bad experience with the last firmware update and give a recommendation? I understand that probably less than 1% of people used or cared about the media renderer feature. I was really disappointed at Vizio's response so I wanted to let people know that. Also, maybe some TV expert could give me something to try and fix this. I've tried everything and Vizio support wasn't much help so far.

 

As far as the price, I still believe I could have had more features for around the same price. I have the 32" model so no 3D, but I was not interested in that anyway. To me, the picture is great. If I wanted better, I would look for Ultra HD models.

 

I guess my main gripe is the firmware breaking the media renderer and how Vizio support handled it. I would've accepted an answer like "We know that feature is not working for your model since the firmware update. It's due to another feature we enabled. Sorry, but there is no timetable on if/when this will be addressed". Instead they tell me I was "lucky that the feature was working, the TV was never intended to do that and the firmware did not cause an issue in your case".

rakstr likes this.
LionMak is offline  
post #8838 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Newbie
 
LionMak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post


I agree with most of what you said about Vizio's tech support, but I've had no issues streaming media to my 55" since the 1.09 update. In fact, it seems much more reliable since the update. You might check to see that the IP address hasn't changed since the update (scroll down in the System Information menu). You might need to re-enter the TV's IP address into whatever media server you're using.

I've had to re-enter my IP address several times due to updates, power outages, router resets, etc. Worth a try anyway...

You've given me hope so I'll try messing with my settings again. The problem is, everything else works on the TV apps. I can send a YouTube video from my smartphone to the TV, NetFlix works, and I can also 'pull' video off of my network.

 

My only problem since the update is I can no longer 'push' media directly from my phone to the TV. There use to be an 'NFLC Media Renderer' that I could select and send videos or photos right off my smartphone.

 

I initially had DHCP setup, but setting a static IP gave me way better results. I tried going back to DHCP after the firmware update, but that didn't help. I also tried the factory reset, wireless & wired network connection, different mobile devices, etc... I can't get it working again. It stopped working the exact day the update happened.

 

Do you use a mobile device to stream media to your TV? Do you have Android or iOS? For Andriod, Pixel Media Controller should allow you to see the media renderer. For iOS, try iMediaShare.

LionMak is offline  
post #8839 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
lotohnz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMak View Post

You've given me hope so I'll try messing with my settings again. The problem is, everything else works on the TV apps. I can send a YouTube video from my smartphone to the TV, NetFlix works, and I can also 'pull' video off of my network.

My only problem since the update is I can no longer 'push' media directly from my phone to the TV. There use to be an 'NFLC Media Renderer' that I could select and send videos or photos right off my smartphone.

I initially had DHCP setup, but setting a static IP gave me way better results. I tried going back to DHCP after the firmware update, but that didn't help. I also tried the factory reset, wireless & wired network connection, different mobile devices, etc... I can't get it working again. It stopped working the exact day the update happened.

Do you use a mobile device to stream media to your TV? Do you have Android or iOS? For Andriod, Pixel Media Controller should allow you to see the media renderer. For iOS, try iMediaShare.

No, I just stream from my iMac. I guess I misunderstood the problem. I'm not sure my suggestion will work if you can already stream from your network. My iPod is a generation too old to push media, but I thought the ability to push media was dependent on the Vizio app, i.e. the mobile Youtube app could push to the Youtube app on the tv. But if it was otherwise I wouldn't know.

Good luck with that.
lotohnz is offline  
post #8840 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Newbie
 
xMrAx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

So I just picked up a M601D-A3R and I really want to like it, but there are some issues I have been having.

 

First, there is some noticeable ghosting while gaming. A faint purple color appears around objects when moving. Someone suggested earlier that setting the brightness above 58 fixes the issue. However, the new TVs come with the 1.25 firmware in which all custom settings appear to originate with the calibrated profile. The only way to turn on game mode to reduce input lag is to have the TV set on the game profile. It's extremely frustrating that I cannot change the video settings without turning off game mode. The sad thing is with some adjustments, watching videos looks extremely good on this TV. 

 

Has anyone else run into these issues? Is it at all possible to revert to an earlier firmware. The profile stuff is extremely frustrating. 

 

EDIT: I would like to confirm that raising the brightness to 58 does fix the ghosting in games I have tested. Unfortunately, like I said above adjusting the brightness turns off game mode.

xMrAx is offline  
post #8841 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Newbie
 
joekazama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me, if the M series has ANY frame interpolation at all? My friend has the 65" and for the life of me, I could NOT see 240hz or anything that looked even like 120hz. I even played around with the settings and turned the smooth motion effect all the way up or whatever the highest setting was. It sounds crazy, but I actually LIKE the soap opera effect, it looks great for my kids movies. It was a huge bummer to see it in the store around all the crappier televisions, but seeing their screens look better.

thanks
joekazama is offline  
post #8842 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Member
 
siddiqsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys
M701d here.
The YouTube app stopped playing videos. It loads and I can pull up videos but when I play them an error message has started popping up which says "playback format not supported". This started only last week. I have version 1.0.2.3. The system version is 1.09.44.0090
I called customer support and they were of absolutely no help. They asked that I call YouTube.
siddiqsa is offline  
post #8843 of 9695 Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
tsc
Member
 
tsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekazama View Post

Can anyone tell me, if the M series has ANY frame interpolation at all? My friend has the 65" and for the life of me, I could NOT see 240hz or anything that looked even like 120hz. I even played around with the settings and turned the smooth motion effect all the way up or whatever the highest setting was. It sounds crazy, but I actually LIKE the soap opera effect, it looks great for my kids movies. It was a huge bummer to see it in the store around all the crappier televisions, but seeing their screens look better.

thanks

My 70" most certainly does. One of the first things I did when I got the set was turn 'Smooth Motion Effect' off as I'm the opposite -- I completely HATE Soap Opera Effect. smile.gif
tsc is offline  
post #8844 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM
Member
 
Sacc Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oxford, MS
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMak View Post

IAs far as the price, I still believe I could have had more features for around the same price. I have the 32" model so no 3D, but I was not interested in that anyway. To me, the picture is great. If I wanted better, I would look for Ultra HD models.

I missed the fact that your tv is 32". At that size you certainly could do better. At that size 1080p isn't even that important haha.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
Sacc Attack is offline  
post #8845 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
 
bigcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikle View Post

I used THESE from Ikea.

Is there a way to set them up so that they turn off when you turn off the TV, or do they come with remote control? I'd hate to have to get up from bed just to turn the LED lights off biggrin.gif

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
bigcat is offline  
post #8846 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Newbie
 
flurec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone having problems with their Harmony Hub? I have the Smart Keyboard.

I have the M501D-A2R and it will not turn off. Under activities it will turn on but not off. Under "Help" on my Android phone it will not turn off manually. If I go into devices it will turn off if I click on the red power button icon.

Interestingly when I added the TV it's poweroff command defaulted to "Exit". That did not work so I changed it to "PowerOff". That did not help so I changed it to "Exit", delay, "PowerOff" as suggested on the Logitech forums. Still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
flurec is offline  
post #8847 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
stikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

Is there a way to set them up so that they turn off when you turn off the TV, or do they come with remote control? I'd hate to have to get up from bed just to turn the LED lights off biggrin.gif

Well, they plug into 110v, so spend another $20 on one of these.

My old Sherwood receiver had two 110v switched outputs on the back, and I had them plugged into that. Worked awesome. Onkyo doesn't have those, which was mildly irritating. Now I've got them plugged into a switched wall outlet along with my cabinet fans, so I just flip the switch when I walk in the room to watch TV.
bigcat likes this.

Seth-o-Plex 11.2! - LG | Onkyo| Mirage | SVS
stikle is offline  
post #8848 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
rakstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: dallas
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't use these with my TV but our Costco stocks these in TX, they are also occasionally on Coupon. We use them in "display nooks"
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sylvania-flexible-led-strip-2999-at-costco-in-ia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVPbJ99RDBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

Is there a way to set them up so that they turn off when you turn off the TV, or do they come with remote control? I'd hate to have to get up from bed just to turn the LED lights off biggrin.gif
rakstr is offline  
post #8849 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Feirstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To turn off the added rear light fixture, find a USB sensing on/off switch. Plug it into the set's USP port and it will turn the light on and off with the set.
Feirstein is offline  
post #8850 of 9695 Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
bigcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feirstein View Post

To turn off the added rear light fixture, find a USB sensing on/off switch. Plug it into the set's USP port and it will turn the light on and off with the set.

I am guessing you mean, find a USB-powered outlet and plug it in to your TV's USB port. I did a quick search on amazon and kept finding USB hubs that plug into the outlet. I need the opposite, I am probably not searching right.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
bigcat is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off