post #8911 of 10049 Old 05-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXTechno View Post

My friends LG TV, his "Bloom" Effect is noticeably faster than mine is on this TV, which in my case is really slow

It definately is related to the TV because this "Bloom" feature is not on all my games yet it "Blooms" in all my games, whether it be bright lit areas or really dark areas

This doesn't just happen in BF4

Bloom lighting is a feature many games use. It was touted as a big deal when last gen first started. It should be ok a fair amount if your games.

Also for years now in my opinion LG has made inferior sets to that if Vizio in the last few years. I would not compare your set to an LG and hold it to canon. It could be many things that are making your bloom lighting effect differ. Such contrast ratio, response time and the accuracy of your colors. From what I saw in the video it did not seem like an issue to stress about but it may be something lost in translation.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 10049 Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

The TV with 1.09 is great. The ones off the shelf now are coming with 1.25 which people are reporting issues with custom calibration setting not sticking though. I have not seen a report of 1.25 being pushed to sets in use though so if you can find one with 1.09 that's what I would do.

As far as getting this TV or waiting for the 2014 variants, that all depends on whether you value 3D or not. All the 2014 Vizio sets will not have 3D. But based on specs in the press releases, they should be offering a better 2D picture at a cheaper price than these 2013 sets. The 3D is a strength of this TV by the way.

As for local dimming, I like it on. I can see why someone would prefer it off though. If you're into local dimming and are not interested in 3D, the 2014 sets should offer you a better deal. They're supposed to have a greater number of dimming zones and are not edge lit, both of which should greatly improve the local dimming performance by decreasing blooming and flashlighting.

How are the viewing angles and is there alot of light bleed on my samsung if u don't sit dire try in the middle one side is significantly brigther
post #8913 of 10049 Old 05-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKing View Post

How are the viewing angles and is there alot of light bleed on my samsung if u don't sit dire try in the middle one side is significantly brigther

I find the viewing angles to be fine but I've never compared to a Samsung. I will say that my son hates 3d from where he prefers to sit which is WAY off center at a very bad angle but he never complains when watching 2D from the same spot but take his opinion with a grain of salt... he's 12.

As far as light bleed goes, nothing at all noticeable during normal viewing. That is, you can see a little on an all black screen when smart dimming is off and the backlight is turned up and you are in a dark room but with mine it's minimal and I prefer using the TV with smart dimming which kills any light bleed... but introduces some flash lighting. But even with smart dimming off, if you turn down the backlight or use the auto brightness feature (ambient light adjustment) which turns down the backlight in a dark room automatically then light bleed isn't an issue on my TV.

Honestly, there are better TVs out there. I just don't think you can find a better TV at a similar price point. If you got a wad of money and need perfection, shop elsewhere. If you're budget conscious, start here or, if you don't care for 3D, wait a few more months for the 2014 line which will be cheaper and will likely have a better 2D picture.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #8914 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 10

Hello guys,

Was hoping someone here might be able to help, or point me in the right direction.

I just purchased my TV about 2 weeks ago on Amazon...It's the Vizio M601D-A3R model. So if this isn't the right thread...I apologize.

Basically I'm having some issues with calibration...Every guide I read online is saying to put the Red/Green/Blue "offset" to numbers above 100 but my Color Tuner settings only allow me to go from -100/100? I can't seem to find anything about this online...What gives?

Thanks...

post #8915 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoe0723 View Post

Hello guys,

Was hoping someone here might be able to help, or point me in the right direction.

I just purchased my TV about 2 weeks ago on Amazon...It's the Vizio M601D-A3R model. So if this isn't the right thread...I apologize.

Basically I'm having some issues with calibration...Every guide I read online is saying to put the Red/Green/Blue "offset" to numbers above 100 but my Color Tuner settings only allow me to go from -100/100? I can't seem to find anything about this online...What gives?

Thanks...
You must have the newest firmware update, which changes all the calibration features.
post #8916 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDDUFRENE View Post

You must have the newest firmware update, which changes all the calibration features.

Oh ok...That's somewhat of a relief I guess. So I guess I just have to wait till some newer guides get released...

post #8917 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoe0723 View Post

Oh ok...That's somewhat of a relief I guess. So I guess I just have to wait till some newer guides get released...
There has been, a few people looking for the settings also. I just bought the 65" last weekend, and when I heard about the changes with the calibration I disconnected my tv from the internet. Lol, once they figure out the new settings I'll connect it back and let it update.
post #8918 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Also keep in mind that different sets have different forms of calibration. I believe the 50", 55", and 65" all use the same scale, while the 40", 60", 70", and 80" all use a different scale (I may be incorrect with the model groupings, but it's something like that). You have to make sure you're looking at calibrations for your specific set as there is no standard set of calibrations for the entire M Series. Also, as mentioned, firmware could be the problem as well.
post #8919 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So I guess the new 2014 models already on sale? ?

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m422ib1.html
post #8920 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mllerena View Post

So I guess the new 2014 models already on sale? ?

http://store.vizio.com/mseries/m422ib1.html

Yep looks like 42 and 32in are available.Hope its not long for the 60in.

post #8921 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hoping for a good review soon.
post #8922 of 10049 Old 05-04-2014, 11:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoverton View Post

This is a whine post, you can feel free to ignore it.

I bought a new Vizio M401i-A3 back at Christmas for the bedroom, my old one was getting excessively stupid, so it was time. From December to April I was a happy camper, it looked good, worked just fine with my Dish Joey, and life was good. Then it happened. 1.09.42.0080 appeared, and for some reason, my sound went whacky. The audio started doing a perfect "Max Headroom" impression, then run seconds behind. Blamed Dish first, after all, its almost always them, but they replaced my stuff, no complaints, and it was still doing it. So, I call Vizio, the "best in class U.S. based support" tells me, after 2 days and 2 technicians, that it was a known issue started by patch 1.09.xxx, it couldn't be rolled back, and they were working on a new patch. How long I ask, and the response is, by the end of the month. Okay, a quick "pause" gets things back in sync, I can live with that... for a while.

End of April comes and goes, on this forum people are talking about 1.25.xxx and I wait. So today, I decide to get in touch and ask for status, from "best in class U.S. based support", and (it was a chat, so I have transcript), the answer is,

Jacob: The update is still rolling out in batches. This update is all done automatically. Once your TV is proposed for the update you will be prompted for the update.
Visitor: so, I live with broken tv for how much longer? estimate?
Jacob: No ETA.
... (now I am a bit more annoyed)
Visitor: is there a "replace it if its not fixed" on the warranty?
Jacob: Troubleshooting would need to be done if the update does not resolve your issue.
Visitor: I have been living with this for a month, on a 3 (now 4) month old tv, its getting really annoying. I am thinking that vizio needs to fix it sooner than 'eventually"
Jacob: I do apologize. The update will soon come to your TV. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today? (<- unspoken, "you are dismissed")
Visitor: not today. not really impressed with your response to my issue either.

So, I come to vent. If anyone from Vizio cares, push me an update will ya? If you are on the fence about buying a "smart tv" perhaps I could suggest that Vizio isn't really ready for prime time. A regular TV, working outta the box, tends to stay that way, a "smart" TV, apparently not so much.

TL;DR: I bought a great TV, it worked till they forced a patch, now sound is broke, and fix is "we will get around to it"

Dave

I still don't understand why firmware updates are forced on these televisions. I was very happy w/ my set pre 1.09. I complained about losing the media renderer, which nobody in the world seems to have used. Needless to say, support said that feature is not returning and they didn't really know anything about it. So the tv had this feature I liked when I bought it and then they updated it and it's gone and never coming back?!? I'm in the market for a 70" plus tv in the next couple of months and I'm not going to choose Vizio.

I did the same thing as you and complained here, which didn't do much. You might get lucky and find someone who knows of a workaround w/ your issue. That's one plus about posting on this forum. I hope their next update helps you out.

post #8923 of 10049 Old 05-05-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There are front projectors that require the consumer to ship it to one of their specified sites to get a firmware update. As bad as this is, it could be worse (at least they continue to update the firmware and eventually uploaded to the tvs)

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #8924 of 10049 Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Actually, I think that model is better in this case because you can still use all the features of the device without fear that an update will be forced on you!!! I feel bad for any that may have paid to get their sets calibrated and then had new firmware installed which may have changed things. I personally didn't experience that but it sounds like some may have!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

There are front projectors that require the consumer to ship it to one of their specified sites to get a firmware update. As bad as this is, it could be worse (at least they continue to update the firmware and eventually uploaded to the tvs)
post #8925 of 10049 Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

Actually, I think that model is better in this case because you can still use all the features of the device without fear that an update will be forced on you!!! I feel bad for any that may have paid to get their sets calibrated and then had new firmware installed which may have changed things. I personally didn't experience that but it sounds like some may have!

Couldn't agree more. Vizio is using a broken system. Their upgrades affect calibration (in my experience, and others I know). I've never paid for calibrations, but many people do, and they are expensive. They should never force an upgrade. Updates should be downloadable by users on-demand from a web site so those with issues have options. And desirable (but not required) you should be able to go back to a previous version of the firmware.

After the 1.09 upgrade I have not been able to "calibrate" my TV to the colors I had before the update.
rakstr and EscapeVelocity like this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #8926 of 10049 Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

So here's the rub, and it's not just with TVs. Once a Vendor gets into a marketing relationship with the app/content providers and money, be it soft dollars or advertising or other begins to be exchanged, they are driven by those incentives far beyond the impact to the consumer. It's calculated very carefully, good will verses profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post

Couldn't agree more. Vizio is using a broken system. Their upgrades affect calibration (in my experience, and others I know). I've never paid for calibrations, but many people do, and they are expensive. They should never force an upgrade. Updates should be downloadable by users on-demand from a web site so those with issues have options. And desirable (but not required) you should be able to go back to a previous version of the firmware.

After the 1.09 upgrade I have not been able to "calibrate" my TV to the colors I had before the update.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #8927 of 10049 Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

. Updates should be downloadable by users on-demand from a web site so those with issues have options. And desirable (but not required) you should be able to go back to a previous version of the firmware..

Or as some vendors do: list updates & the issues they address so you know what they are for.
post #8928 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Has anyone been able to capture the firnware? I was contemplating setting up wireshark to catch the download link. There is some configuration files that the tv seems to identify itself on the network as well, like the dd.xml that appears on a random port
post #8929 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
the bf4 bloom is part of the game. I wouldn't stress it. I personally think the game looks amazing on my 55. No complaints, even when I'm running calibrated instead of game mode.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #8930 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You could not connect your TV to the internet.. that'd solve that Firmware issue *shrug*
post #8931 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I think they have to change this soon. I can't see them selling expensive state-of-the-art 4K Ultra HD TVs with such a primitive update system. That would be an early adopter's nightmare.
post #8932 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 PM

And I'm still on 1.06. Maybe I should be happy...
post #8933 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiva View Post

And I'm still on 1.06. Maybe I should be happy...

If you are happy with your TV (and remote), and don't use its "smart" features, feel free to remove its network connection biggrin.gif

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 w/ Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
post #8934 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

And desirable (but not required) you should be able to go back to a previous version of the firmware.

THIS! This is the single most annoying part of this entire issue. Never in my life have I dealt with a computer type issue (and this is a computer type issue) that I couldn't "undo" it somehow. Even if it meant reloading all the firmware from scratch. Gobs of consumer products do firmware updates now, all I have seen could be rolled back, or the original version re-installed. Not this TV? Apparently nobody at Vizio makes coding errors, so no code was provided to roll back updates.
post #8935 of 10049 Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Actually, I've seen that not allowing firmware rollbacks is becoming more common in consumer electronics. I agree with you that rollbacks should be allowed.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #8936 of 10049 Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

I agree here. And not defending Vizio but DirecTV uses a similar process of forcing firmware updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post

Actually, I've seen that not allowing firmware rollbacks is becoming more common in consumer electronics. I agree with you that rollbacks should be allowed.
post #8937 of 10049 Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 602
I've been very happy with my M60, but recently I've encounter two issues. 1) Once in a great while, the screen will have a redish flash, which is more noticeable in the darker areas. 2) The TV will turn off by itself randomly. For no apparent reason. I've contacted Vizio, and they had me reset to factory settings, which I knew it wasn't going to work since I had done that already. They also had me connect my TV directly to the electrical outlet, but still the TV turns off.

I wish I had kept the Best Buy warranty rather than going with the cheaper Square Trade warranty. With the Best Buy warranty I would of been able to return the TV already. Now, I've got to call Vizio again, and see what the next step is going to be. I was told if they need to send a tech, it will take 5 to 7 business days to get him here.mad.gif

Oh yeah, I'm on the 1.09 firmware.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8938 of 10049 Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I've been very happy with my M60, but recently I've encounter two issues. 1) Once in a great while, the screen will have a redish flash, which is more noticeable in the darker areas. 2) The TV will turn off by itself randomly. For no apparent reason. I've contacted Vizio, and they had me reset to factory settings, which I knew it wasn't going to work since I had done that already. They also had me connect my TV directly to the electrical outlet, but still the TV turns off.

I wish I had kept the Best Buy warranty rather than going with the cheaper Square Trade warranty. With the Best Buy warranty I would of been able to return the TV already. Now, I've got to call Vizio again, and see what the next step is going to be. I was told if they need to send a tech, it will take 5 to 7 business days to get him here.mad.gif

Oh yeah, I'm on the 1.09 firmware.

Why is the Square Trade warranty worse? Besides them not having a physical store to return items to.
post #8939 of 10049 Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtn5000 View Post

Why is the Square Trade warranty worse? Besides them not having a physical store to return items to.

I'm not sure if they are good or bad. At the moment I am dealing with Vizio customer service. If I had the Best Buy warranty I could of sent it back already and gotten a new one. I didn't think I was going to need it.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8940 of 10049 Old 05-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received my replacement M70 from Visio. It has software version 1.30.20.0090. They shipped it to a moving company that delivered it and took the old one. No more lines of dead pixels. biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page