Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I turned on my TV today and noticed this black line about 1 inch in from the right side of my M40, has anyone had this and was able to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is the source plugged into HDMI 1? My Bluray is HDMI 3. The receiver does not suggest its DD. When I unplug the optical on the TV into the Bluray player, the receiver indeed goes to 5.1. I think it's time to get a new receiver anyway. Yamaha 3030 here I come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeltee View Post
My receiver is pre-hdmi. The manual says the SPDIF will pass DD and DTS. Maybe I'll just call Vizio. It appears that they have great CS. I read last night that only HDMI 1 outputs ARC maybe that is the same with the SPDIF. That's rather silly that only 1 port passes it. I'd love to know the engineers thoughts on it.

Thanks for your reply.
My older receiver (Sony DG-910) does not support ARC, so I have the M501D-A2r audio output connected via optical SPDIF. When I am listening to an OTA channel broadcasting in 5.1 audio, the receiver shows that it is getting that signal and decoding it.

In terms of which ports support which functions, that is usually a function of economics. At a given time, usually the more capable chips are the more expensive ones. As time goes on, the capabilities generally become available in less expensive chips.
post #9093 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Is the source plugged into HDMI 1? My Bluray is HDMI 3. The receiver does not suggest its DD. When I unplug the optical on the TV into the Bluray player, the receiver indeed goes to 5.1. I think it's time to get a new receiver anyway. Yamaha 3030 here I come.
OTA refers to over-the-air broadcasts. My really old cable box does not support HDMI connections, nor am I willing to spend the relatively large extra fees to get HD from my cable company. For other sources such as Blu-Ray the HDMI goes first to the Receiver, then on to the HDTV, so the ARC feature is not necessary. The receiver already takes care of the multichannel audio before sending the signal on to the HDTV. From what I've seen ARC would be a useful feature only for sources which do not go through the receiver first. I am planning (for other reasons) on getting a receiver which does support ARC.
post #9094 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoX860 View Post
I turned on my TV today and noticed this black line about 1 inch in from the right side of my M40, has anyone had this and was able to fix it?

WTF How old is your tv? Im not sure in your case but in my case many years ago i brought my first lcd (A Westinghouse) about 4 to 6 months i got a thin blak vertical line on the right and left side of the tv.(watching 4x3 content) Basically it was image retention from the 4x3 black bars on the side. I was told to find a white image and leave it on the screen for a couple of hours. It didnt work. Sent a dirty email to Westinghouse because Best Buy wouldnt fix it(IR not covered in any warranty) and they took the tv back. I hope what you have isnt what i had.
post #9095 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoX860 View Post

WTF How old is your tv? Im not sure in your case but in my case many years ago i brought my first lcd (A Westinghouse) about 4 to 6 months i got a thin blak vertical line on the right and left side of the tv.(watching 4x3 content) Basically it was image retention from the 4x3 black bars on the side. I was told to find a white image and leave it on the screen for a couple of hours. It didnt work. Sent a dirty email to Westinghouse because Best Buy wouldnt fix it(IR not covered in any warranty) and they took the tv back. I hope what you have isnt what i had.
November 2013, talked to a nice guy at Vizio, they're sending me a TV and taking this one back.
post #9096 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Why would you ever need more than one audio return channel (arc)?
post #9097 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Should I go with the 3D m55 2013 model or the 2014? Is the full array that much better then the edge lit? I feel like the specs are so close but lacks 3D I've never watched a 3d movie and wear glasses most of the time but think it would be cool to have... And the 2014 is actually cheaper 900 vs 1049 on the vizio site
post #9098 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by apasq00 View Post
Should I go with the 3D m55 2013 model or the 2014? Is the full array that much better then the edge lit? I feel like the specs are so close but lacks 3D I've never watched a 3d movie and wear glasses most of the time but think it would be cool to have... And the 2014 is actually cheaper 900 vs 1049 on the vizio site
If 3D isn't important for you then I would say the Full Array is the way to go, you'll get better image uniformity.
post #9099 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChadd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padinn View Post
Anyone tried the firmware update trick thing that was posted...some number of pages ago? Wondering if anyone has gotten past 1.0.9. on their 55 inch.
Padinn, could link to that post with the trick? Thanks!
post #7912

Quote:
Can anyone instruct me how to enable DD and DTS to pass out the fibre optic channel of my a3r to my receiver? I get audio... Just not DD or DTS. I do however get DTS/DD if I go straight from my Blu-Ray to the receiver.

I have the TV set to bitstream and have the TV's internal speakers disabled.
Your receiver also needs to be set to receive bitstream.
TheChadd likes this.
post #9100 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just got this TV setup. The automatic setup now controls my satellite receiver too. The problem is all the buttons I would use to control the TV -- like Menu and Exit -- now are doing sat box commands instead. What button do I push to tell it to toggle to controlling the TV instead of the receiver, without turning the sat box off or changing sources?

Thanks.
post #9101 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Not sure what's going on here, but there's no situation where the optical out of the TV should be plugged into your blu-ray player.
post #9102 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Just got this TV setup. The automatic setup now controls my satellite receiver too. The problem is all the buttons I would use to control the TV -- like Menu and Exit -- now are doing sat box commands instead. What button do I push to tell it to toggle to controlling the TV instead of the receiver, without turning the sat box off or changing sources?

Thanks.
I hit the "input" button first to control the TV. Someone else here may have a better solution.
post #9103 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
I hit the "input" button first to control the TV. Someone else here may have a better solution.
Thanks.
post #9104 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what's going on here, but there's no situation where the optical out of the TV should be plugged into your blu-ray player.
Agreed. I removed the optical cable from the tv and plugged it into my Bluray player.
post #9105 of 9543 Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by BusterC417 

Does anyone have any idea what makes the "game" mode different than the others?? I am wondering if I could make a minor change to the Calibrated Dark, and it work correctly.

Game mode on sets disables most of the internal processing done by the set that they do not present an option for on the settings menu. This will give you a clean signal from the source which is good for digital gaming. However movies on blu ray actually rely on the set to do some of this processing to get you the intended picture.

I personally did not go with the settings posted but went with 2 different one for day/lamp viewing and another for dark room viewing, also separately calibrated 3D settings. I have provided them below.

***2D
Calibrated (for day/lamp)
Backlight: 50
Brightness: 57
Contrast: 49
Color: 30
Tint: -6
Sharpness: 3

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 35
Brightness: 54
Tint: -5

***3D
Brightness: 58
Contrast: 50
Tint: -7

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 40
Tint: -8

Color Temp for all
Normal
Red: 148
Green: 117
Blue: 130
Red: 131
Green: 129
Blue: 128

All advanced settings off except I have
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion: Low
Trying to use some of the settings posted here for my new M801D-A3. First problem I am having is that my CMS doesn't seem to match the settings you and others have listed. To get to the Color Temperature controls, I have to select "Professional Settings" then select "Color Tuner". What I get is a table of options for Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow that include choices for Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Offset and Gain. By default they all start at 0. But they can only go to between -100 and +100. So I cannot, for example do any of the settings above that are over 100.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
post #9106 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a M80 and its been a couple days and i have the picture set to vivid, yesterday i don't remember what i was watching something on cable (fios) and noticed that the video would pause like for a sec and then move to the next frame, i don't know what the actual term is (video felt like it was jerking), and was not smooth, how do i fix this?
post #9107 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
If 3D isn't important for you then I would say the Full Array is the way to go, you'll get better image uniformity.
But is the image uniformity, that much better? Like out weighs having 3D
post #9108 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But is the image uniformity, that much better? Like out weighs having 3D
Only you can determine Picture Quality or 3D

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #9109 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I just checked and I have the DG-910 connected to HDMI-4, but that should not make any difference as the output from the M510 is via the optical SPDIF cable.
post #9110 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I have a M80 and its been a couple days and i have the picture set to vivid, yesterday i don't remember what i was watching something on cable (fios) and noticed that the video would pause like for a sec and then move to the next frame, i don't know what the actual term is (video felt like it was jerking), and was not smooth, how do i fix this?
That could be several things, but most likely it's a broadcast compression artifact, not the TV. If you see the same thing watching a dvd or blu-ray then it might be the TV.
post #9111 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
That could be several things, but most likely it's a broadcast compression artifact, not the TV. If you see the same thing watching a dvd or blu-ray then it might be the TV.
thanks, also how do i pair the fils remote to turn the tv off, volume control etc.
post #9112 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by BusterC417 

Does anyone have any idea what makes the "game" mode different than the others?? I am wondering if I could make a minor change to the Calibrated Dark, and it work correctly.

Game mode on sets disables most of the internal processing done by the set that they do not present an option for on the settings menu. This will give you a clean signal from the source which is good for digital gaming. However movies on blu ray actually rely on the set to do some of this processing to get you the intended picture.

I personally did not go with the settings posted but went with 2 different one for day/lamp viewing and another for dark room viewing, also separately calibrated 3D settings. I have provided them below.

***2D
Brightness: 57
Tint: -6

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 35
Brightness: 54
Tint: -5

***3D
Contrast: 50
Tint: -7

Calibrated Dark (dark)
Backlight: 40
Tint: -8

Color Temp for all
Normal
Red: 148
Green: 117
Blue: 130
Red: 131
Green: 129
Blue: 128

All advanced settings off except I have
Smart Dimming: On
Smooth Motion: Low
Trying to use some of the settings posted here for my new M801D-A3. First problem I am having is that my CMS doesn't seem to match the settings you and others have listed. To get to the Color Temperature controls, I have to select "Professional Settings" then select "Color Tuner". What I get is a table of options for Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow that include choices for Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Offset and Gain. By default they all start at 0. But they can only go to between -100 and +100. So I cannot, for example do any of the settings above that are over 100.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Bumping this. Really hoping someone in the Vizio community could explain why the color temp manager on my M801D-A3 allows gain, offset, etc. of -100 to +100 and how I translate that to posted calibration settings of 147, 152, etc. Picture so far does not look good on this TV and want to give it a fair chance but I haven't found a single picture setting post in this forum or a Google search that doesn't list gain and offset above 100 so I can't duplicate it. I'll consider hiring a pro calibrator if I keep the set but I want to see that it at least gets pretty good first with other users settings.

Thanks.
post #9113 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Bumping this. Really hoping someone in the Vizio community could explain why the color temp manager on my M801D-A3 allows gain, offset, etc. of -100 to +100 and how I translate that to posted calibration settings of 147, 152, etc. Picture so far does not look good on this TV and want to give it a fair chance but I haven't found a single picture setting post in this forum or a Google search that doesn't list gain and offset above 100 so I can't duplicate it. I'll consider hiring a pro calibrator if I keep the set but I want to see that it at least gets pretty good first with other users settings.

Thanks.
Noticed the same problem when adjusting my 801d-A3 (no R). I have ver 1..30.xxx Not sure if that is the most recent firmware. I'm happy with a setting of 'calibrated' and turning down the brightness and contrast a touch depending on input. everything else Off except for smart dimming. Harmony remote works better then the Vizio one. Great picture overall.
post #9114 of 9543 Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Correct. The blu-ray player may have an optical OUTPUT but almost certainly does not have an optical INPUT, unless you have an integrated single-unit system with player included with a receiver all as one unit.
post #9115 of 9543 Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Noticed the same problem when adjusting my 801d-A3 (no R). I have ver 1..30.xxx Not sure if that is the most recent firmware. I'm happy with a setting of 'calibrated' and turning down the brightness and contrast a touch depending on input. everything else Off except for smart dimming. Harmony remote works better then the Vizio one. Great picture overall.
The problem is that the firmware most members have is 1.09. The 1.25 and 1.30 firmware versions are in sets which have been bought more recently and thus far, no one has posted calibrations with these firmware versions. Beginning with 1.25 more controls were added (an 11-point white balance, for example) and a new scale for the color temperature controls. I don't know if they will ever push the newer firmware to the older sets because of what it would do to already existing adjustments. You might have more luck with using a disk like Disney's WOW calibration disk, one of the free disks available on this forum, or possibly the values which will eventually be posted on the new 2014 B models (probably 60 and 70 inch will be more similar) but they may not be much use since they are fald, not edge lit. Good luck. I was able to get a very good picture on my 801d using the color temperature settings of one of the members who used his own equipment to set his color temperature, along with the use of the Disney WOW, but my set has the older 1.09 firmware.

Last edited by josephpearson; 06-16-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: misspelling
post #9116 of 9543 Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephpearson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
The problem is that the firmware most members have is 1.09. The 1.25 and 1.30 firmware versions are in sets which have been bought more recently and thus far, no one has posted calibrations with these firmware versions. Beginning with 1.25 more controls were added (an 11-point white balance, for example) and a new scale for the color temperature controls. I don't know if they will ever push the newer firmware to the older sets because of what it would do to already existing adjustments. You might have more luck with using a disk like Disney's WOW calibration disk, one of the free disks available on this forum, or possibly the values which will eventually be posted on the new 2014 B models (probably 60 and 70 inch will be more similar) but they may not be much use since they are fald, not edge lit. Good luck. I was able to get a very good picture on my 801d using the color temperature settings of one of the members who used his own equipment to set his color temperature, along with the use of the Disney WOW, but my set has the older 1.09 firmware. Good luck.
Thanks.

I have the Spears & Munsil calibration disc and spent time with it last night (using an Oppo 103D, with Darbee process turned off and, as suggested in the disc instructions with the default color space at 4:2:2). It's fine for adjusting the basic picture settings and the set faired well on the contrast, brightness, color and tint settings (the disc doesn't seem to have any test pattern or suggestions for adjusting the backlight). Color and tint were reasonably close but not perfect because even using the highest 3x filter it did not completely black out the test colors on the left of the grid.

But the set did very poorly in the color space tests (substantially "clipping" the colored boxes within boxes so they were not independently discernible and clear banding of the color gradient instead of a smooth spectrum). The disc and website didn't really offer any suggestions I could see on how to adjust those settings without professional calibration equipment. It didn't even attempt to explain how I would manipulate gain, offset, saturation, etc. to improve the temp or color space. And this is were I am pretty unhappy with it -- the colors just don't see right. Faces are far too red for example.

Any suggestions on this?

It also did very poorly on the included motion tests. And this is an area I may have to get used to coming from primarily watching plasma (I have another LED but it's not viewed often). I turned off all the motion processing, both at the suggestion of the calibration disc and because I hate any soap opera effect. But it leaves fast action in something like the beginning of Star Trek (or the Transformers 2 trailer before that disc) not quite looking right.
post #9117 of 9543 Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks.

I have the Spears & Munsil calibration disc and spent time with it last night (using an Oppo 103D, with Darbee process turned off and, as suggested in the disc instructions with the default color space at 4:2:2). It's fine for adjusting the basic picture settings and the set faired well on the contrast, brightness, color and tint settings (the disc doesn't seem to have any test pattern or suggestions for adjusting the backlight). Color and tint were reasonably close but not perfect because even using the highest 3x filter it did not completely black out the test colors on the left of the grid.

But the set did very poorly in the color space tests (substantially "clipping" the colored boxes within boxes so they were not independently discernible and clear banding of the color gradient instead of a smooth spectrum). The disc and website didn't really offer any suggestions I could see on how to adjust those settings without professional calibration equipment. It didn't even attempt to explain how I would manipulate gain, offset, saturation, etc. to improve the temp or color space. And this is were I am pretty unhappy with it -- the colors just don't see right. Faces are far too red for example.

Any suggestions on this?

It also did very poorly on the included motion tests. And this is an area I may have to get used to coming from primarily watching plasma (I have another LED but it's not viewed often). I turned off all the motion processing, both at the suggestion of the calibration disc and because I hate any soap opera effect. But it leaves fast action in something like the beginning of Star Trek (or the Transformers 2 trailer before that disc) not quite looking right.
Have you PM'd vmiclass02? He might be willing to share his settings, at least privately. The fact that you're coming from plasma and to a larger picture compounds the issues you see. For me, my picture's strengths (vs. my 10 year old Mits 65" CRT RP) outweigh the negatives enough that I'm quite happy with it. And my grandson really enjoys 3D movies on the set. Good luck.
post #9118 of 9543 Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone regret going from the 65" to the 70"? I just can't find a setting that I like and the 120 refresh rate is really lack luster to the 65. Debating about exchanging again to go back to the 65.
post #9119 of 9543 Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 PM

Well, my M70 is my first and last Vizio. The picture is great, after I change a setting so that the custom settings kick in every time I turn on the TV or change inputs.

It came with the bugged 1.25 firmware, I've been waiting far too long for the 1.30 fix and to sit here for weeks waiting for them to push the fix to me is just unacceptable. At $2200 I'm quite aware I didn't buy the most expensive TV out there but Vizio has absolutely pathetic customer service for any price point. I'm most definitely going to warn anyone I come across that's considering a Vizio that they're in for what's most likely a very disappointing experience.
Iron Eagle likes this.
post #9120 of 9543 Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Well, my M70 is my first and last Vizio. The picture is great, after I change a setting so that the custom settings kick in every time I turn on the TV or change inputs.

It came with the bugged 1.25 firmware, I've been waiting far too long for the 1.30 fix and to sit here for weeks waiting for them to push the fix to me is just unacceptable. At $2200 I'm quite aware I didn't buy the most expensive TV out there but Vizio has absolutely pathetic customer service for any price point. I'm most definitely going to warn anyone I come across that's considering a Vizio that they're in for what's most likely a very disappointing experience.
Wish I'd known this about two weeks ago when I ordered my M70. I got it 5 days ago and I was excited about everything right up to the point when I realized that my custom picture settings kept reverting back to defaults. This happens when the TV is turned on or off, or when I change to a non-HD cable channel, or when I switch inputs on my A/V receiver. Just like you, I have to change a setting(color, contrast, etc.) to get the custom settings to kick in. The TV shipped with version 1.25 firmware.

I know you've been waiting much longer on an update than I have, and I feel your pain, but do you have any idea if there is in fact another update that's "supposed to" be coming? If not, then I'm going to have to seriously consider getting this TV swapped out. I'm not paying over $2000 for a TV that won't even keep custom picture settings. That's ridiculous!

ETA: By the way, I've also experienced the TV flashing the input display info at the top of the screen for no apparent reason, usually when I change channels to a non-HD cable channel.

Last edited by Iron Eagle; 06-18-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Adding information
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page