Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enforcer View Post

I have to agree with you there. The manual 3D is a minor issue for me since I don't use 3D all that often. The other issues with HDMI and Remote I haven't had issues with. I still think for the price, the TV is a great deal.

Besides, if there's something I've learned from over a decade of doing computer installs, help desk support, and hooking up electronics, there's always going to be issues with electronics. I think it's one of the unwritten laws that Murphy has. :P

agreed, if i do have to return this TV its getting replaced by the same model. It is a great deal, and I really enjoy the passive 3D MUCH more then active shutter. I get better angles (was watching Wreck it Ralph off angle last night) and less headaches, and it appears that they are aware and fixing the 3D issue with cable boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah... to say that the M Series is having "issues" with 3D is really a misrepresentation of what is really going on.

To be clear, the only problem I have with 3D is that it won't activate from a cable box when connected via HDMI. 3D BluRay, streaming, and PS3 all are excellent and really enjoyable. To be honest, I didn't buy this TV for 3D... I didn't care if I got 3D or not... but now after seeing how great it looks on the M-Series I can't wait for the cable box problem to be fixed to give me more viewing options!
post #903 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM

I've been running the 55" for about 5 days now and have to agree that when the picture is great, it's great. The clock is annoying, but can be fixed by plugging in a coax antenna. Hopefully, Vizio will fix that with a firmware update.

However, I have noticed significant blooming in the corners and "flash lighting" at times similar to what people have noticed on the 50" models. Is anyone with the 55" experiencing a lot of blooming with smart dimming on or is it just my tv? During the day it's not that noticeable, but at night, it drives me crazy sometimes. I'm coming from using a 47" XVT2 which has been great and didn't have a lot of issues with smart dimming. I've tried using the settings posted, but haven't had much luck reducing the blooming effects with smart dimming on.

In addition, has anyone been able to force the firmware following the advice in the earlier posts? Mine is still running the earlier one.
post #904 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I don't watch 3D that much either, but when I do I want it to work witout going through hoops. Bottom line, if it's bad engineering, which this issue is, fix it.

I totally agree. I have been waiting for the 70" to replace my E series 70". These annoying engineering issues should have been fixed before the TV was available for sale. I am not one of those people who purchases something that is not right and then try to justify it. Maybe now that the M701 is available we will be able to see what, if anything, was fixed. The price is very good, if and I emphasize if, the product is as good as the competition otherwise it is just a cheap knockoff.
post #905 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisishere View Post

I stumbled upon something and I was wondering if someone can test their tv out it see if it's the same... my wife had a movie on through an hdmi cable from her comp last night... The movie picture seemed like it couldn't keep up with lines and blur. .. After she went to sleep I started testing movies and cables and hdmi inputs and found if connected to hdmi2 input the picture was clear and perfect but any other yielded the same jagged slow processing results... I also notice with hdmi 1, 3, 4 the tv mirrored the comp screen but in hdmi 2 the computer screen had a screen saver and the tv became the moniter so I had to use the mouse and the tv to navigate Windows. .. wonder if anyone else's like that? Or someone has an explanation? Or maybe I just got a bad tv. .. anyone who could help Thanks alot in advance

Have you checked the settings for those different inputs and made sure they are all the same?

Thanks
rick
post #906 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Anyone have any luck updating to the newer firmware version that tried the reset process last night?

Just curious
post #907 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHummrich View Post

Are you using Component or HDMI? I can't get 3D unless the blu ray player says "hi I'm 3d content"

Also to anyone else having a problem. Make sure you're not connecting through a receive that doesn't pass 3D.

Anyone with the 50". Does the front panel seem to be loose to you? Mine gives quite a bit when you touch it. Tons of flash lighting as well.

You won't get 3d using component, you need hdmi and I also beleve it will need to output 1080i minimum, not 720p.
I know actually 720p is better but cable companies only output 3d in 1080i.
This may help some of you until cable companies start ouput in 1080p, you need to switch to 1080i content on settings in your cable box. smile.gif

Also fir 3d you should have a minimum of a 1.3 hdmi but wiuld recommend a 1.4 version if hdmi so its the fastest.
post #908 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartJohnson View Post

You won't get 3d using component, you need hdmi and I also beleve it will need to output 1080i minimum, not 720p.
This may help some of you until cable companies start ouput in 1080p, you need to switch to 1080i content on settings in your cable box. smile.gif

I am only getting 3d from cable box using component - wont work with hdmi
chatted online with optimum last night and they were no help
direct tv is the only one i think that outputs in 1080p
post #909 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisishere View Post

I stumbled upon something and I was wondering if someone can test their tv out it see if it's the same... my wife had a movie on through an hdmi cable from her comp last night... The movie picture seemed like it couldn't keep up with lines and blur. .. After she went to sleep I started testing movies and cables and hdmi inputs and found if connected to hdmi2 input the picture was clear and perfect but any other yielded the same jagged slow processing results... I also notice with hdmi 1, 3, 4 the tv mirrored the comp screen but in hdmi 2 the computer screen had a screen saver and the tv became the moniter so I had to use the mouse and the tv to navigate Windows. .. wonder if anyone else's like that? Or someone has an explanation? Or maybe I just got a bad tv. .. anyone who could help Thanks alot in advance

Picture and Audio settings can be changed for each input. If you change one setting on one input it will not go to the others. You need to modify every input if you like a certain setting. Maybe your hdmi 2 has a different picture setting than the others.
post #910 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Lol, that would suck. Notice any better picture with hdmi vs component? On my hc3800 projector they look the same but hdmi was a lot brighter. Could have just been the source which was a Xbox 360.

I am definitely noticing a difference between the component and hdmi input. I have a feeling its the way optimum (cablevision) is processing it from the cable box though. The 2d viewing looked alot more crisp with the hdmi. The settings were the same on both inputs too.
post #911 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just bought the 70 inch from Costco. Com.. Total after tax was 2474.00 free shipping
post #912 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartJohnson View Post

Of course you can get 3D over component. It will be in the format that your cable provider is sending (1080i or 720p). In fact, that's how people are working around this issue right now. You might be confusing component this with Blu Ray 3D not working over component. That's an HDCP issue with the content creators, not a limitation of Component video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqSnake View Post

I am definitely noticing a difference between the component and hdmi input. I have a feeling its the way optimum (cablevision) is processing it from the cable box though. The 2d viewing looked alot more crisp with the hdmi. The settings were the same on both inputs too.

HDMI is digital and Component is Analog. Component is going through an Analog to Digital conversion process. It's definitely going to look different. HDMI should always look better wink.gif
MrSmartJohnson likes this.
post #913 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Update on 70" to be in-stock in local stores!

Spoke with a Costco manager today and he said that all Costco distribution centers are due to receive the shipment from Vizio on the 70" models on the 13th.

He said they will ship out the next day and it normally takes 2-3 days for shipment from the DC to the store.

As long as everything goes to plan on what is scheduled in the system he said most all stores that are carrying this model should have them on the shelf no later then the 16th or 17th !!!

He told me to call back on the 14th and he can tell me if the DC received them and if they have shipped to the store.

Looks like we're all good to go for those of us waiting for it to arrive in store this month.

If you would like to get this information from your local store call the store and ask them to give you an update on item# 907010

They will give you an exact date as well then these are due to arrive.

Hope this helps.
post #914 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I am watching 3D over component & it looks great, it's in 1080I ( Comcast). When I am done with 3D I switch back to my HDMI input, a minor PIA but until I get the ( or "a") firmware fix, that is what I wil have to do.
post #915 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disolomon View Post

I've been running the 55" for about 5 days now and have to agree that when the picture is great, it's great. The clock is annoying, but can be fixed by plugging in a coax antenna. Hopefully, Vizio will fix that with a firmware update.

However, I have noticed significant blooming in the corners and "flash lighting" at times similar to what people have noticed on the 50" models. Is anyone with the 55" experiencing a lot of blooming with smart dimming on or is it just my tv? During the day it's not that noticeable, but at night, it drives me crazy sometimes. I'm coming from using a 47" XVT2 which has been great and didn't have a lot of issues with smart dimming. I've tried using the settings posted, but haven't had much luck reducing the blooming effects with smart dimming on.

In addition, has anyone been able to force the firmware following the advice in the earlier posts? Mine is still running the earlier one.

I have the 50" and although my set is defective and is being exchanged. I don't think the flashlighting is related. I notice a significant amount of flash lighting from top upper right part of the TV.
post #916 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHummrich View Post

Of course you can get 3D over component. It will be in the format that your cable provider is sending (1080i or 720p). In fact, that's how people are working around this issue right now. You might be confusing component this with Blu Ray 3D not working over component. That's an HDCP issue with the content creators, not a limitation of Component video.
HDMI is digital and Component is Analog. Component is going through an Analog to Digital conversion process. It's definitely going to look different. HDMI should always look better wink.gif

Cool, I think I'll change my projector to componet and use the HDMI to the TV. For being analog, componet sure does look pretty good. Need to upgrade my AVR to a Denon X-4000 for more outputs smile.gif
post #917 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM

I followed the instructions in the thread to manually trigger the firmware update on my 65", and after about an hour I turned it on and the update was done.

3D is now working properly for me including ripped videos streamed to my Xbox 360 from my home server. I'm a happy camper!
tempest790 and jaybot31k like this.

Epson 8350 1080p ..:.. 124" WilsonArt DW screen
Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver
Lenovo HTPC ..:.. 1TB storage InfiniTV4 tuner
Xbox 360s extender, PS3 Blu-Ray player
Controlled by a Harmony One remote
post #918 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Has anybody tried changing the settings in menu/picture control, I can go down the list and into advance settings and make changes, but when I exit and then go back in and check - they are all reset back to defaults.
post #919 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM

I tried the forced update method before heading out to work this morning. 10 hours later I was still on 1.02. I'll let it go overnight and try again tomorrow.
post #920 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was looking at the M551 version at Costco yesterday and noticed that the actual displayed content doesnt fully reach the bezel on the sides. There appears to be a dark area that runs vertically fully on each side about 2 or 3 millimeters wide. Its more noticeable during scenes with a white background.

Has anyone else noticed this or did Costco had a flaky display out? I read an Amazon user review that mentioned it which is why I am asking the question here. Thanks.
post #921 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqSnake View Post

Picture and Audio settings can be changed for each input. If you change one setting on one input it will not go to the others. You need to modify every input if you like a certain setting. Maybe your hdmi 2 has a different picture setting than the others.

Hmmm.. ill have to check that out.. hdmi 1 is the input I used for the tv and adjusted the settings on.. hdmi 2 was untouched out of the box.. ill check the video settings when I get home.. thanks
post #922 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by URPREY View Post

I followed the instructions in the thread to manually trigger the firmware update on my 65", and after about an hour I turned it on and the update was done.

3D is now working properly for me including ripped videos streamed to my Xbox 360 from my home server. I'm a happy camper!

Your the first person that has said they have the 65". That's just the right size for my living room but I'm hesitant now because of the high gloss screen and the 8ms response time. How are you liking yours? Do either of those issues bother you?
post #923 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPrelude View Post

Your the first person that has said they have the 65". That's just the right size for my living room but I'm hesitant now because of the high gloss screen and the 8ms response time. How are you liking yours? Do either of those issues bother you?
I wouldn't sweat the 8ms response time, that is still pretty good an LCD. I think my first Bravia had a 30ms response time and I had very little in the way of excessive motion blur or ghosting or trailing and that was back in like 2001ish. Response time isn't the only factor in a displays response time/refresh rate.
TheChadd and DJPrelude like this.
post #924 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM

just got my firmware updated. now I can manually activate 3d via HDMI connection. TV is now almost perfect. just waiting for remote wifi enabled
post #925 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by URPREY View Post

My 55 didn't update, maybe I misinterpreted the directions, I set the service check, turned it off then on in about a minute, then watched tv for about another hour then turned it off for the night.
Maybe we need to set the service check then turn off overnight, or at least an hour like you did.
post #926 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLive View Post

I tried the forced update method before heading out to work this morning. 10 hours later I was still on 1.02. I'll let it go overnight and try again tomorrow.

Yeah, just be patient. It will happen. The update didn't come when I when woke up this morning. However, when I came back about 30 minutes ago, I turned the TV on and I had my update. biggrin.gif I am now able to manual 3D my laptop and my cable box.
post #927 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

My 55 didn't update, maybe I misinterpreted the directions, I set the service check, turned it off then on in about a minute, then watched tv for about another hour then turned it off for the night.
Maybe we need to set the service check then turn off overnight, or at least an hour like you did.

i didn't even turn off my tv. firmware update just popped up then tv turned off after it's done updating. Turn tv back on and get the update message.
post #928 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWAD123 View Post

After a lengthy chat with specific questions asked of "Stewie", I have supposedly been given the directions to induce a firmware update:

1) Go to System > System Information.
2) Scroll down to under UTV. Look for "REG". Make sure this says "Yes".
3) Go to Reset & Admin > Service Check - Click Yes.
4) Turn off the TV and turn it back on.

Update should be sent within 24 hours if it is available. Update is only downloaded while TV is powered off, but plugged in. Ethernet or wireless does not matter.

Giving this a shot.

Well my Costco 55" M551d-a2 (no r) did not update either. I did the above process 3-4 times before going to bed last night and have not touched it since. Was off all day today and just light viewing since being home.. now watching the Penguins lose mad.gif

The rep did tell me to turn it on after turning it off. I should have asked specifically if it was necessary to turn it back on or not. He did specifically state all of the above steps to a T with me verifying.

Since I have a case number now I'm going to chat with them again and ask them for more help.
post #929 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathongko View Post

i didn't even turn off my tv. firmware update just popped up then tv turned off after it's done updating. Turn tv back on and get the update message.

Did you need to activate the service check? Or did you turn it on for the very first time and it updated?
post #930 of 9980 Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWAD123 View Post

Did you need to activate the service check? Or did you turn it on for the very first time and it updated?

I activated the service check. turned off the tv. turned it back on and continue watching my tv. Then updating firmware message just came up while i am watching my TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page