Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 310 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9271 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up the 60M at costco, and I'm not as satisfied as I thought I would be based on the reviews. I was watching the Golf Channel the other day and the picture isn't as "sharp" as I was expecting. There are noticable articfacts. Could this be the screen size? Would 55 or 50 produce a shaper, more detailed picture?

also, I noticed some ghosting of the golf ball with SME set to low. Is this normal or are there settings to fix? (I have not had significant ghosting of the golf ball on a 32 Samsung or 37 Sharp).

Last edited by JIMF25; 06-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian 6393 View Post
I'm using the harmony 650, and I love it. Takes a little time time to set up, but it really works well!
Thanks. I will check that one out...
post #9273 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks PlayNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Second M801d-A3 calibration this set yields a better result than the other M80 and gives a more close to reference picture.

No adjustments were made to the 11 point grey scale as using the 2 point (offset & gain) were near perfect all in spec with Delta E and Gamma.

**Night
Auto brightness control - off
Backlight 35
Brightness 51
Contrast 51
Color 39
Tint -4
Sharpness 20

**Day
Auto brightness control - off
Backlight 61
Brightness 51
Contrast 51
Color 39
Tint -4
Sharpness 20

**Advanced

Color temp normal
Black detail off
Smart dimming on
Smooth motion low
Reduced signal noise off
Reduced block noise off
Film auto

**Color tuner

(As before Red is out of spec with these settings but it is as close to accurate as I could obtain. Any adjustments to the red color adds too much red push which throws the rest of the colors off.)

Red Hue 0 Saturation 0 brightness 0 offset -3 gain 0
Green Hue 7 Saturation 5 brightness -4 offset -9 gain 8
Blue Hue -24 Saturation -13 brightness 16 offset -5 gain -24
Cyan Hue 30 Saturation 6 brightness -24
Magenta Hue 11 Saturation 16 brightness 20
Yellow Hue 0 Saturation 10 brightness -5

Thank you PlayNice!
Works wonderfully on my M601d-A3 with firmware 1.34.27.0090
I did make minor changes to color and backlight but left the color tuner and all other settings just as you stated.

I'm so happy with the new firmware as I've been stuck on 1.08 for a long time.
Now the wifi remote is working and the picture has never looked better.
post #9274 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Off Topic

I've been following this thread for a several months...checking in time to time to read the new comments....lately, since the page layout change...I've been frustrated with how difficult the pages are to read, as compared to before the change...there's an Ancient Chinese Proverb that goes: if it ain't broke...don't fix it!
post #9275 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
New format works much better on my Ipad.

What happened to the AVS App from years ago.
post #9276 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMF25 View Post
also, I noticed some ghosting of the golf ball with SME set to low. Is this normal or are there settings to fix? (I have had significant ghosting of the golf ball on a 32 Samsung or 37 Sharp).
I have a 2013 55" M-Series, so I can't comment on the sharpness vs your 2014 60" model, but as far as ghosting golf balls, that seems to be a symptom of the added frames of Smooth Motion Effect.

My reasoning being: I don't see it in Game mode, where I have SME set to "high". Game mode allegedly cancels video processing (i.e. SME), but I think setting SME to "high" still sets the backlight scanning to high (effective 240hz refresh rate).

So apparently SME doesn't like flying golf balls.
post #9277 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benk016 View Post
I had this exact same issue. It was so bright and off the screen basically had a purple hue to it. A factory reset of the set fixed this. I think it had to do with it trying to import the old settings from the previous firmware. my picture modes had custom1-6 as default and after the rest I had no custom settings. This issue persisted through all of the picture modes.

Here is a video I took of what it looked like. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3LdeS26Ejc
haha wii u does it get that much use??
post #9278 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ever since the update even with my old settings the tv just doesn't look the same. I have a 60 inch m series.s

One issue that just started for me is that whenever I turn the tv on I will get a picture that highlights a green hue for about 5 seconds before the the normal coloring begins. That is really weird and hoping there is nothing wrong with the tv. Just started this past weekend and coincidentally we just got the updated software. Anyone having this issue?
post #9279 of 9835 Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwicktarheels View Post
Ever since the update even with my old settings the tv just doesn't look the same. I have a 60 inch m series.s

One issue that just started for me is that whenever I turn the tv on I will get a picture that highlights a green hue for about 5 seconds before the the normal coloring begins. That is really weird and hoping there is nothing wrong with the tv. Just started this past weekend and coincidentally we just got the updated software. Anyone having this issue?
The green hue you are seeing is due to your colors being unbalanced. The TV upon startup ramps up the backlight then is tones it down to your normal setting. However since it does this on a low end of the greyscale image you should see a white hazy screen if you are seeing other colors that means you must tweak it to balance out your image.
post #9280 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb2886 View Post
We just got a Wii U when Mario Kart 8 was released last month. It was my son's idea after he traded in a bunch of old 360/3DS games and a 3DS. I bought into a lot of the internet hype for the last 2 years that the Wii U sucks, but I found that to be the furthest thing from the truth. It is a solid system that does one thing that the big boys (XB1, PS4) don't really excel at ... couch co-op. Aside from the Lego games, your couch co-op options are really limited on XB1, PS4. I think the Wii U makes a great addition alongside an XB1 or PS4.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
steve1022 likes this.
post #9281 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM

Vizio M551D-A2R Audio Issue

Good morning everyone, I purchased the Vizio 55" M Series television yesterday and finished setting it up last night. I have the picture set up exactly as I want it, with colors, settings, etc. based on inputs from several posters here and on other sites. Unfortunately I'm having an issue with the audio. When I turn the television on, I have no sound for anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds. It doesn't matter if I change channels or turn the tv on and off.

For info purposes, I am connected through Directv (Genie) and all other capabilities seem to be functioning normally, though I haven't tried viewing a 3D movie or show yet.

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
post #9282 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The green hue you are seeing is due to your colors being unbalanced. The TV upon startup ramps up the backlight then is tones it down to your normal setting. However since it does this on a low end of the greyscale image you should see a white hazy screen if you are seeing other colors that means you must tweak it to balance out your image.
But after the software update how can my colors be off?

Is anyone using the "computer" color temperature instead of normal and cool? Normal is too yellow and cool is too blue which just leave me with computer coloring.

this thing is driving me crazy. I had what I thought was the best image based on my liking until this update and now I have been trying to get back what I had and i can't get it.
post #9283 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But after the software update how can my colors be off?

Is anyone using the "computer" color temperature instead of normal and cool? Normal is too yellow and cool is too blue which just leave me with computer coloring.

this thing is driving me crazy. I had what I thought was the best image based on my liking until this update and now I have been trying to get back what I had and i can't get it.
The update changes some settings, after most products firmware updates you should expect things to be off/different.

The computer color temp is also "cool" meaning it has a blue hue. Normal color temp you may think is too yellow but it is actually natural close to the recommended color temp of roughly 6,500 Kelvin. It may look off to you however the "Normal" is correct. Your eye will get used to whatever color temp you have been watching and think any adjustment is incorrect.

Try using normal for a few days and then that will become the norm to your eyes. The reason TV's have that blue hue is the way out eyes work we will notice white more it there is a slight color added more so with a blueish tint. And it sells TVs kinda like how most laundry detergent is blue why cause when they tried that color out they made more profit, so it's a money game. If you want as natural picture as possible the Normal temp without adjustment will get you there however with adjustments you can get a perfect temp with Normal. Any other mode I have tried is too off to get into spec.

Hope this clears things up a bit.
josephpearson and mhobart like this.
post #9284 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PemLam View Post
Good morning everyone, I purchased the Vizio 55" M Series television yesterday and finished setting it up last night. I have the picture set up exactly as I want it, with colors, settings, etc. based on inputs from several posters here and on other sites. Unfortunately I'm having an issue with the audio. When I turn the television on, I have no sound for anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds. It doesn't matter if I change channels or turn the tv on and off.

For info purposes, I am connected through Directv (Genie) and all other capabilities seem to be functioning normally, though I haven't tried viewing a 3D movie or show yet.

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
It may take some time to get every thing in sync after powering on that is normal. After you do have audio does it cut out? If not I would assume it's just a normal part of powering on equipment.
post #9285 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
It may take some time to get every thing in sync after powering on that is normal. After you do have audio does it cut out? If not I would assume it's just a normal part of powering on equipment.
The audio does not cut out after it begins, however I've never experienced a tv that takes that long before audio comes in. I have 3 other TV's in various locations throughout my house (6 year old Sharp Aquos, and a couple smaller screen cheapies...Emerson and a Panasonic), none of them have the delay. Vizio support said to do a soft reset to see if the delay gets cleared up; I'll give that a shot when I get home. I'll post an update after I try it.
post #9286 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
It does more lately than it has. With the new super Mario games and Mario kart 8 coming out me and my wife have played it quite a bit. The first year we had it it didn't get used much, but they are finally releasing and working on games that are making it more and more fun.
post #9287 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
This is a user who is providing an example to show what he seeking help upon. That does not mean that he is to be a subject of derision.
post #9288 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
This is a user who is providing an example to show what he seeking help upon. That does not mean that he is to be a subject of derision.
That was not my intent i made an observation i too have a wii u but I hardly use it since the game library isn't that large thats why I asked does it get that much use?? Lol
post #9289 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Feature requests

Has anyone ever tried and/or had luck in orchestrating a discussion with Vizio for features? I know many Companies have some forum or another they host or monitor for such things.

Most every device I have from my Thermostats to my routers to my AVRs have built in web browsers for native connect/control and web monitoring/configuration. EXCEPT, that is, my TVs

I'm getting tired of running up and down multiple sets of stairs to see if my "update has arrived" Wouldn't it be nice to have a web interface to the TV?????

I know, asking for a new feature from a Company that can't even update their firmware is a stretch but today I feel like a big thinker!!!
post #9290 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benk016 View Post
It does more lately than it has. With the new super Mario games and Mario kart 8 coming out me and my wife have played it quite a bit. The first year we had it it didn't get used much, but they are finally releasing and working on games that are making it more and more fun.
I've been waiting for smash lol and mario kart
post #9291 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Has anyone ever tried and/or had luck in orchestrating a discussion with Vizio for features? I know many Companies have some forum or another they host or monitor for such things.

Most every device I have from my Thermostats to my routers to my AVRs have built in web browsers for native connect/control and web monitoring/configuration. EXCEPT, that is, my TVs

I'm getting tired of running up and down multiple sets of stairs to see if my "update has arrived" Wouldn't it be nice to have a web interface to the TV?????

I know, asking for a new feature from a Company that can't even update their firmware is a stretch but today I feel like a big thinker!!!
They need to get their update rollout organized first when they do that then they can update the apps also isn't yahoo in charge of updating their apps I think I read that somewhere
post #9292 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Ya, I'm not talking apps. If it were up to me, I'd delete them all. I'm talking web access to the menu interface.

Quote:
They need to get their update rollout organized first when they do that then they can update the apps also isn't yahoo in charge of updating their apps I think I read that somewhere
post #9293 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The update changes some settings, after most products firmware updates you should expect things to be off/different.

The computer color temp is also "cool" meaning it has a blue hue. Normal color temp you may think is too yellow but it is actually natural close to the recommended color temp of roughly 6,500 Kelvin. It may look off to you however the "Normal" is correct. Your eye will get used to whatever color temp you have been watching and think any adjustment is incorrect.

Try using normal for a few days and then that will become the norm to your eyes. The reason TV's have that blue hue is the way out eyes work we will notice white more it there is a slight color added more so with a blueish tint. And it sells TVs kinda like how most laundry detergent is blue why cause when they tried that color out they made more profit, so it's a money game. If you want as natural picture as possible the Normal temp without adjustment will get you there however with adjustments you can get a perfect temp with Normal. Any other mode I have tried is too off to get into spec.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

thank you for your prompt responses. I did try it when i got the tv but really couldn't get used to it. When i go to family or friends houses and come back to mine it seems i could never adjust because no one i know is using it. When they come to mine they say why does my tv seem "off". It may actually be the correct way but i guess not the norm in my circle of people. But u did say that the computer setting does favor the blue, not as much as cool. I guess I will keep messing with it but again, I struggle to accept white is not white but more yellowish (normal).

Do u have settings to recommend for me?

Also, can I factory reset the tv and disable auto updates?

Last edited by Bushwicktarheels; 07-01-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #9294 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thank you for your prompt responses. I did try it when i got the tv but really couldn't get used to it. When i go to family or friends houses and come back to mine it seems i could never adjust because no one i know is using it. When they come to mine they say why does my tv seem "off". It may actually be the correct way but i guess not the norm in my circle of people. But u did say that the computer setting does favor the blue, not as much as cool. I guess I will keep messing with it but again, I struggle to accept white is not white but more yellowish (normal).

Do u have settings to recommend for me?

Also, can I factory reset the tv and disable auto updates?
The only way you can disable auto updates is disconnect the network connection.

As for settings in would recommend, I calibrated my M80's with equipment. I do not have any other size but you can try the settings I posted a few pages back. On my M80 cool and computer are both way off with a blue hue however if you feel computer looks better to you go with it. It's your TV set it the way you like. But if you want to see it as the director of the content would like you to go with normal. Google "Cnet Color temp" for a quick rundown of what you are going through.
post #9295 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The only way you can disable auto updates is disconnect the network connection.

As for settings in would recommend, I calibrated my M80's with equipment. I do not have any other size but you can try the settings I posted a few pages back. On my M80 cool and computer are both way off with a blue hue however if you feel computer looks better to you go with it. It's your TV set it the way you like. But if you want to see it as the director of the content would like you to go with normal. Google "Cnet Color temp" for a quick rundown of what you are going through.
I was just reading it right before I read your response. With the three images they show, it says the middle one is probably the best. here is what they said:

The center image is what the director and cinematographer intended for this scene: a typically overcast British morning pre-Vogon destruction. Notice how the bottom image seems like the weather is cooler? Maybe a winter morning? Notice how the grass's color is off as well. The top image seems a lot warmer, correct? Like it's a summer day? Also not what the director was intending

I'm looking for that middle pic look. The normal setting on my Vizio seems to be more of the top pic.

Here is the link http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-tv-...oes-it-matter/

Last edited by Bushwicktarheels; 07-01-2014 at 11:24 AM.
post #9296 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was just reading it right before I read your response. With the three images they show, it says the middle one is probably the best. here is what they said:

The center image is what the director and cinematographer intended for this scene: a typically overcast British morning pre-Vogon destruction. Notice how the bottom image seems like the weather is cooler? Maybe a winter morning? Notice how the grass's color is off as well. The top image seems a lot warmer, correct? Like it's a summer day? Also not what the director was intending

I'm looking for that middle pic look. The normal seeing on my Vizio seems to be more of the top pic.

Here is the link http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-tv-...oes-it-matter/
You will not be able to tell which is the accurate image until you view all three on a well calibrated display.

I have seen and understand what you are thinking by saying the normal seems off. I haven't calibrated your exact TV set but have done about 10-15 Vizio's across different series/models and all of them normal is the most close to accurate setting. I see you strongly like the computer color setting if that's the case go with that. If you want an accurate picture quality set it to normal, yes coming from computer it seems yellow but it is the most correct setting the TV offers.

You will notice that Vizio doesn't have a warm setting if it did you would really see what yellowish is.
post #9297 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Literally just came to post this.

I got 1.34 the other day and my PQ just seems slightly off. I too get the weird green tint when I turn the TV on as well. My TV also does not save my selected calibration preset when I turn it off. I need to go in and select "Custom 1" every time as it resets itself to "Standard".

I am enjoying the much improved Amazon app though.

Last edited by waylo88; 07-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #9298 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Literally just came to post this.

I got 1.34 the other day and my PQ just seems slightly off. I too get the weird green tint when I turn the TV on as well. My TV also does not save my selected calibration preset when I turn it off. I need to go in and select "Custom 1" every time as it resets itself to "Standard".

I am enjoying the much improved Amazon app though.
For you and anyone else that are having issues after getting the 1.34 update, I would go ahead and do a factory reset on the TV. After I did this all my issues went away and haven't had any problems since. The strange colors when the TV is booting went away, all my presets stay the same.

Now if I just had a good calibration. haha
CleCakYngMfd likes this.
post #9299 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The TV upon startup ramps up the backlight then is tones it down to your normal setting. However since it does this on a low end of the greyscale image you should see a white hazy screen if you are seeing other colors that means you must tweak it to balance out your image.
Thanks again PlayNice. You are an endless stream of info! My M60 with firmware 1.08 took longer to power on but did not do what you described above, till 1.34.
I was thinking I messed something up but it sounds like it's working as intended and it's a white haze so no worries with color calibration.
post #9300 of 9835 Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuce View Post
Thanks again PlayNice. You are an endless stream of info! My M60 with firmware 1.08 took longer to power on but did not do what you described above, till 1.34.
I was thinking I messed something up but it sounds like it's working as intended and it's a white haze so no worries with color calibration.
Yea I hope they fix that issue as I didn't have it with 1.08 and 1.09 but now with 1.34 I have the whitish haze upon boot. It is a good way to see if your colors are off though but kinda annoying.

Glad I could help, happy viewing!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page