Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 161
That bottom magenta line on that one graph, separate from the RGB traces, what does that represent?

Can a router be setup to block their web address to stop these updates?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
That bottom magenta line on that one graph, separate from the RGB traces, what does that represent?

The bottom magenta line represents how close the RGB levels above at each 10% gradient of gray are to being 100% on top of each other which would be perfection. Any reading below 2 or so is not visible to the human eye. I heard that anything below 3 is also not visible to the human eye. Doesn't seem to be a hard and fast consensus on that point.

Ursa
videobruce and lotohnz like this.

Last edited by ursa99; 07-03-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added my name
post #9363 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently purchased the M651d-A2 at Costco because it was $250 cheaper than best buy. I had an old toshiba 65 inch tv with 120 white dots on the screen, so it was time for an upgrade.

This tv is pretty nice. I seem to be having the same issues as others. When I turn on the TV, it always turns on as a bright red screen. I have custom presets, and I use Custom 1 when watching tv, but when I turn on the tv it defaults to standard. I will try to do a factory reset, as I have heard that fixes the problem. Is there anything special I need to do to do the reset, or is there an option in the menu?

I wish that the tv had an option for game mode. I have a custom setting that was based off game mode, to help with lag. But sometimes when watching tv in this custom, I still get sync issues with dialogue matching the mouths of the actors. If I go to the game mode preset, it fixes it. Has anyone found any solutions to fixing sync issues?

I just got an firmware update last night. Is there anywhere that I can see what this update fixed?

I hear there is a wifi update for the remote, how do i get that? I still have to aim the remote at the lower left of the screen.

Lastly, does anyone have any suggested picture settings for this tv? I have looked around online and cant find a single set.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Kevin

Last edited by Weezer17; 07-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
post #9364 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Ursa for your 1.34 calibrations. Been using your calibrations since I've owned this TV. Appreciate your contributions.
post #9365 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ursa, thanks for posting your new color numbers so quickly after the firmware update. I used your numbers for my M701d (V1.34.27.0090) and I tried to compare your settings to factory flat with color level turned all the way down, but changing the color tuner numbers for Custom 1 also changed the numbers for Custom 2 on my set. Your settings look good, but I don’t have the equipment to measure it.

I checked brightness and contrast with DVE HD Basics with my dark room backlight setting of 30, and I changed them a little (brightness 56-> 50, contrast 70 -> 75,) but I don’t know if that’s the firmware or LED aging.

If anyone finds out what changed with the new firmware please post. I imagine some of it is proprietary algorithmic changes in video signal processing.

Last edited by ronh36; 07-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #9366 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can answer a couple of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer17 View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased the M651d-A2 at Costco because it was $250 cheaper than best buy. I had an old toshiba 65 inch tv with 120 white dots on the screen, so it was time for an upgrade.

This tv is pretty nice. I seem to be having the same issues as others. When I turn on the TV, it always turns on as a bright red screen. I have custom presets, and I use Custom 1 when watching tv, but when I turn on the tv it defaults to standard. I will try to do a factory reset, as I have heard that fixes the problem. Is there anything special I need to do to do the reset, or is there an option in the menu?

Reset is under "System" - "Reset and Admin" on the menu.

I wish that the tv had an option for game mode. I have a custom setting that was based off game mode, to help with lag. But sometimes when watching tv in this custom, I still get sync issues with dialogue matching the mouths of the actors. If I go to the game mode preset, it fixes it. Has anyone found any solutions to fixing sync issues?

I just got an firmware update last night. Is there anywhere that I can see what this update fixed?

I hear there is a wifi update for the remote, how do i get that? I still have to aim the remote at the lower left of the screen.

If you do a reset, the remote will automatically pair (at least mine did). If not, you can pair the remote under "Devices" on the menu.

Lastly, does anyone have any suggested picture settings for this tv? I have looked around online and cant find a single set.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Kevin
post #9367 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreasier View Post
I can answer a couple of your questions.
Thanks for the help, i appreciate it!
post #9368 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This "pairing", is that for control of other devices??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #9369 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ursa99;
I believe I know what you are referring to. There is a term for this that is listed in some sites that test these, C-Net for one. What is it?

post #9370 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Would someone mind posting a link to Ursa's 1.34 calibration settings? I just got 1.34 last night.
post #9371 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I received the 1.34 update last night on my M701d-A3R. I haven't had a chance to fool around with the settings yet, but to the naked eye it didn't appear to change the picture. The best thing I discovered was that my custom settings are now holding and not changing when the TV is turned on/off or if I change the input. FINALLY!
post #9372 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Eagle View Post
I received the 1.34 update last night on my M701d-A3R. I haven't had a chance to fool around with the settings yet, but to the naked eye it didn't appear to change the picture. The best thing I discovered was that my custom settings are now holding and not changing when the TV is turned on/off or if I change the input. FINALLY!
I got the update and it still changes my settings when the tv is off. My saved picture settings were all jacked up. Im gonna do a factory reset. I hear that helps.
post #9373 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post
Would someone mind posting a link to Ursa's 1.34 calibration settings? I just got 1.34 last night.
Please check one page back...

I just used them:

PICTURE
Auto Brightness: Off
Backlight: 42
Brightness: 44
Contrast: 37
Color: 33
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 32

ADVANCED PICTURE (Ursa99 didn't post these AFAICS)
Color Temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Low
Smart Dimming: ON
Smooth Motion Effect: OFF
Reduce Signal Noise: OFF
Reduce Block Noise: OFF

PROFESSIONAL PICTURE
COLOR TUNER
Red Offset: 5
Green Offset: 2
Blue Offset: 1

Red Gain: 8
Green Gain: 7
Blue Gain: 9

These look good on my M701d. I'm good for now.

THANK YOU URSA99!

Barry
post #9374 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I do have a question concerning lip sync issues, especially if you have a M701d-A3R. I've also noticed some problems there, both before the 1.34 update and after. So nothing has changed. I have a Comcast DVR and blu-ray connected via HDMI to a Sony AVR, with an HDMI going from the AVR to the TV's HDMI 1 input. The sync issue is the same for both TV and blu-ray viewing.

Has anyone had this issue and found a way to solve it? I'm currently using a 60ms delay on the AVR, which gets the sync close, but there's still a slightly visible difference.
post #9375 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Eagle View Post
I do have a question concerning lip sync issues, especially if you have a M701d-A3R. I've also noticed some problems there, both before the 1.34 update and after. So nothing has changed. I have a Comcast DVR and blu-ray connected via HDMI to a Sony AVR, with an HDMI going from the AVR to the TV's HDMI 1 input. The sync issue is the same for both TV and blu-ray viewing.

Has anyone had this issue and found a way to solve it? I'm currently using a 60ms delay on the AVR, which gets the sync close, but there's still a slightly visible difference.
It makes no sense to me. This is something that needs to be fixed. I have a comcast dvr hooked up through hdmi into my receiver and that goes into my tv, since these tvs cant pass dts. Anyways, I created a custom picture setting based off of the game one. Even with that I sometimes have sync issues. If i go to the preset game setting that seems to fix it. Wish my tv had a seperate on off for game mode.
post #9376 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry R. Guzik View Post
Please check one page back...

I just used them:

PICTURE
Auto Brightness: Off
Backlight: 42
Brightness: 44
Contrast: 37
Color: 33
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 32

ADVANCED PICTURE (Ursa99 didn't post these AFAICS)
Color Temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Low
Smart Dimming: ON
Smooth Motion Effect: OFF
Reduce Signal Noise: OFF
Reduce Block Noise: OFF

PROFESSIONAL PICTURE
COLOR TUNER
Red Offset: 5
Green Offset: 2
Blue Offset: 1

Red Gain: 8
Green Gain: 7
Blue Gain: 9

These look good on my M701d. I'm good for now.

THANK YOU URSA99!

Barry

In his settings post, Ursa mentioned that everything under "Advanced" was turned OFF (which is why he didn't bother posting them).

And I agree, Ursa's setting do look good. I was surprised at how close his settings were to my 'trial and error' settings, which I had come up with purely by eye, with no calibration tools.

I had tried Playnice's settings but the colors seemed a bit off and unnatural on my m701d. Maybe they work better on the 80" models. (Thanks to Playnice for his efforts though.)

Last edited by 88ronin; 07-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #9377 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Has anyone created new settings that properly calibrate the M501d-A2R, M551d-A2R, or M651D-A2R (since they use the same display)?

I've tried messing around with some of the settings posted by users like lotohnz, Ursa, and PlayNice; but neither of them match the "quality" of what I had prior to what I had before the firmware updated and wiped out my past settings. While some of them looked good, there was always one or two things "off" (such as too much red or crushed blacks).
post #9378 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM

No HDMI ARC / opt out with 801A3 1.34.27.0090 and Denon X4000

Hi. My first post here. Guess I've read the first 200 pages before, but since then was so happy with ursa99's (huge thanks!) calibration settings so there was no need to return. Just like other owners, I've received the new firmware which broke all previous settings. I'm going to try new calibration, but I also have problems with audio now. Actually two problems:

1) No audio is coming back from TV to receiver, at least the Denon does not sense any. Tried both ARC and optical out. Restored all settings as needed (CEC, bitstream, audio control, etc). It worked just fine with the previous firmware.

2) It used to turn on/off my receiver when the TV was turned on/off. Now TV can only turn the receiver off, but does not turn it on.

Any thoughts?
post #9379 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvv238 View Post
Hi. My first post here. Guess I've read the first 200 pages before, but since then was so happy with ursa99's (huge thanks!) calibration settings so there was no need to return. Just like other owners, I've received the new firmware which broke all previous settings. I'm going to try new calibration, but I also have problems with audio now. Actually two problems:

1) No audio is coming back from TV to receiver, at least the Denon does not sense any. Tried both ARC and optical out. Restored all settings as needed (CEC, bitstream, audio control, etc). It worked just fine with the previous firmware.

2) It used to turn on/off my receiver when the TV was turned on/off. Now TV can only turn the receiver off, but does not turn it on.

Any thoughts?
And suddenly, after several power cycles and changing nothing, audio return and CEC started to work just like before.
On other note, I created custom calibration profile and it has disappeared after I changed receiver's inputs (not the TV inputs, there is still single HDMI cable coming to it). I created custom profile again and it seemed to stay now, even when I change receiver's inputs and cycle power. Vizio firmware is really strange.

The only difference that I have with device power control and the new firmware is that before it used to power off receiver and connected BD in about 2 seconds. Now when I turn TV off, command to connected devices is delayed for about 10 seconds, but still works. I think I can live with it (unless it keeps loosing calibration profiles).
post #9380 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
I have finally received the 1.34 update for my M601D. I did a quick calibration and here are the results. I have no idea if these will translate to other sets properly so use at your own risk...or reward.
I did these for HDMI 1, everything off in advanced picture.

Good Luck,
Ursa
Thanks. What color temperature did you use under advanced settings?
post #9381 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Color Temp for Calibration FW V1.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
Thanks. What color temperature did you use under advanced settings?
I used NORMAL. Sorry for not posting that.
I also have noticed that some scenes have a whitish hue and others are O.K. This was never the case with the old FW...so I turned on Black Detail to Medium and it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm not sure if others are seeing this so as always YMMV.

Ursa

Last edited by ursa99; 07-04-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Changed Black Dimming to Black Detail There is no Black Dimming. DUH!
post #9382 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM

So I just got the update an hour ago and now none of my apps will open... I click it and black screen comes up.. Resolution drops... And then Nada... Anyone heard of this ??
post #9383 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Direct-ii-viziotv?

Today I was trying to track down some wireless issues and fired up inSSIDer to check out what's going on. Besides the familiar networks in the neighborhood I saw a new wireless network named DIRECT-II-VIZIOTV, it's MAC address is the WLAN interface on my M601d-A3. I haven't scanned my network in quite some time so I'm not sure how long it's been here, but Google returned nothing on this name (nor did a search here).

The TV is of course joined to my WiFi for streaming and updates, this network is on the same channel so may be causing interference, it's also secure so I can't join it, and it's very strong.

Is anyone familiar with the Vizio TV's creating their own network, and what it's purpose might be – streaming directly from a Vizio tablet for instance? I searched briefly in the menus but didn't see any reference to this., does anyone else see it?

Also glad I stopped by as I also didn't know about the new update and had noticed the picture looking very washed out, guess I have to readjust the settings. Thanks to those who posted about it.

Edit: In reading some of the previous posts regarding the remote using WIFi I guess this could be the purpose? I use a Harmony so I'd rather turn this 'feature' off if I don't need it.

Last edited by bmcleod; 07-03-2014 at 09:10 PM.
post #9384 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I paired my remote under “Devices” on the menu as someone suggested earlier. Now I can see the battery level on the remote status information. I measured the batteries at 1.33V and it’s working fine even at that low voltage. It will be interesting if the new FW fixes my battery life problem.
post #9385 of 9980 Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
I used NORMAL. Sorry for not posting that.
I also have noticed that some scenes have a whitish hue and others are O.K. This was never the case with the old FW...so I turned on Black Dimming to Medium and it seems to have fixed the issue. I'm not sure if others are seeing this so as always YMMV.

Ursa
Ursa, what is Black Dimming? Did you mean Black Detail?
post #9386 of 9980 Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, many routers could be setup to block those connections. However we would have to know the range of IP addresses which Vizio uses for their update servers.
post #9387 of 9980 Old 07-04-2014, 12:09 AM

Yes, the WiFi channel used by the Vizio to communicate with it's remote is named DIRECT-something-VIZIO.
post #9388 of 9980 Old 07-04-2014, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sepia Setting Test

My first try of Sepia Tone with the 11-Point White Balance Setting.

Note: Any Adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are automatically saved as "Custom 1-through-8".
(I believe this means adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are NOT saved. Does this mean if I had made a 9th adjustment in one of the Preset Picture Modes, Custom-1 gets written-over or not saved?)

I created a Custom Setting, "Sepia Test".

Note: I find that this 11-PWBS adjustment is for all the Picture Modes for a particular Input.
This will definitely give a Very Warm White Balance for all other Picture Modes on the given Input.

Color Tuner

11-Point White Balance:

Code:
Gain     Red       Green       Blue
[5%]    [25]        [0]        [-25] 

10% Through 100%:

[50]        [0]        [-50] 

For an 'Amber Color Mode', Turn Off the Blue Color.  

Other Settings

Auto Brightness:    OFF
Backlight:           60
Brightness:          40-50 (40 for my Off-Axis viewing) 
Contrast:            50 
Color:                0
Tint:                 0 
Sharpness:          100 (For Old B&W Films.) 
                   (0-to-100 depending how you like sharpness/softness of content.) 

Advanced

Color Temp:         Normal 

(The Next 5 are Set to OFF.)

Film:               Auto

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-04-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Found Method to Align Text (Without Tables). Another Edit to Try Remove Some Spaces to Prevent a Scroll-Box with the "Code" command. No Go. :(
post #9389 of 9980 Old 07-04-2014, 03:07 AM

Just a guess, but I would think that a large part of it would also be various changes/updates in the Apps section in addition to changes in the video functions.
post #9390 of 9980 Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
Yes, many routers could be setup to block those connections. However we would have to know the range of IP addresses which Vizio uses for their update servers.
I assume you were replying to my post? A phone call to Vizio maybe?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page