Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 314 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9391 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
My M601 received the update to 1.34 yesterday morning. It reset all my setting, and started having worse pixelation issues. Sent a video to vizio about it, they will be sending a tech to repair the TV. Approximately, 6.5 month of ownership and already going south.

I bought the M601 due to the 3D option, but now I regret doing it since my family have forgotten about the 3D.

They are also sending me a new remote since my current one keeps impairing every other day.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I bought the M601 due to the 3D option, but now I regret doing it since my family have forgotten about the 3D.
A fad, a sales pitch, something different. Anyway, questionable benefit for the price you pay: wearing glasses, lower brightness or lower resolution.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #9393 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Black Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvv238 View Post
Ursa, what is Black Dimming? Did you mean Black Detail?
Yes, I meant Black Detail to Medium. I edited my post to reflect that. Sorry for the confusion.
post #9394 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Check out "The Lego Movie 3D" might revive your families interest in 3D
josephpearson and netkrazed like this.
post #9395 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
3D is just a gimmick. It's cool in theaters on a giant screen for some stuff, but for the most parts its really just a "who cares" type of thing. I think I've watched two 3D movies on my TV so far in my year of ownership.
post #9396 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
3D is just a gimmick. It's cool in theaters on a giant screen for some stuff, but for the most parts its really just a "who cares" type of thing. I think I've watched two 3D movies on my TV so far in my year of ownership.
Wow only watched two, I have about 50 3D bluray disk. Some movies gain a lot from the 3D effect- Life of Pi, Gravity, Upside Down and Hugo to name a few. 3D is as much of a gimmick as color or surround sound was at one point, when it's utilized correctly it does wonders to immerse you into the experience.
post #9397 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got the 3.14 update for my M601D-A3R yesterday and now the Amazon Prime app won't respond to my remote inputs. The apps have always been REAAAAAALLLY sluggish when it comes to responding to my inputs, but the Amazon app has just stopped entirely.

Is slow processing time a known issue with these sets? It's pretty infuriating to sit and wait for ten to fifteen seconds while my $1400 television decides what it's going to do next.
post #9398 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
3D is as much of a gimmick as color or surround sound was at one point, when it's utilized correctly it does wonders to immerse you into the experience.
+1, I'm a fan of 3d. When it's done right it's truly awesome
mhobart and QuadraQ like this.
post #9399 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villash View Post
I got the 3.14 update for my M601D-A3R yesterday and now the Amazon Prime app won't respond to my remote inputs. The apps have always been REAAAAAALLLY sluggish when it comes to responding to my inputs, but the Amazon app has just stopped entirely.

Is slow processing time a known issue with these sets? It's pretty infuriating to sit and wait for ten to fifteen seconds while my $1400 television decides what it's going to do next.
I actually logged in for the first time in a long time just to report that EXACT same issue - but I resolved it.

Let me guess:
- The Amazon app loads normally with the updated interface
- You cannot do anything at this point with the remote as far as navigation
- You can open Netflix and the remote seems to work perfectly

Initially I was so annoyed that it wouldn't load and I couldn't tell it was loading that I was mashing the Amazon button until it loaded - which was the actual problem. The way I solved it was to firmly push the Amazon button ONE TIME and let it do its thing. The wait time from when you press it to when the app loads will be around 15 or so seconds. Also if you look at the very bottom of the screen when you press the Amazon button you MIGHT see a very small 'Loading..." message for a split second. Really helpful I know.

I just verified this a minute ago on my 50". First I hit the Amazon button, then pressed it about 5 more times (as though I was pissed at it), the app loaded but wouldn't respond to my remote commands. Tried again, just pressing the Amazon button one time and waited. The app came up and worked perfectly. Keep in mind that you'll need to re-register your TV if you have Amazon Prime.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by brshoemak; 07-04-2014 at 04:27 PM.
post #9400 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Wow only watched two, I have about 50 3D bluray disk. Some movies gain a lot from the 3D effect- Life of Pi, Gravity, Upside Down and Hugo to name a few. 3D is as much of a gimmick as color or surround sound was at one point, when it's utilized correctly it does wonders to immerse you into the experience.
I agree, it all depends on how it is done. I recently got the M501-A2r for the 3D ability instead of waiting for the 2014 models, which sound better in picture quality but lack 3D. I've enjoyed going through the various B-R sets I have which contain 3D versions. Most were quite enjoyable (to me at least) and some were ones I had not seen in 3D in theaters. The ones which were most enjoyable were usually those where they were not written simply for the 3D effects. Good writing generally trumps special effects (whether or not that effect is 3D or not). That happens to be my $0.02, your results may differ.
lotohnz and QuadraQ like this.
post #9401 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I edited my previous 'Sepia Test' post to format/align the text. See my previous post.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.
post #9402 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
My first try of Sepia Tone with the 11-Point White Balance Setting.

Note: Any Adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are automatically saved as "Custom 1-through-8".
(I believe this means adjustments made in the Preset Picture Modes are NOT saved. Does this mean if I had made a 9th adjustment in one of the Preset Picture Modes, Custom-1 gets written-over or not saved?)

I created a Custom Setting, "Sepia Test".

Note: I find that this 11-PWBS adjustment is for all the Picture Modes for a particular Input.
This will definitely give a Very Warm White Balance for all other Picture Modes on the given Input.

Color Tuner

11-Point White Balance:

Code:
Gain     Red       Green       Blue
[5%]    [25]        [0]        [-25] 

10% Through 100%:

[50]        [0]        [-50] 

For an 'Amber Color Mode', Turn Off the Blue Color.  

Other Settings

Auto Brightness:    OFF
Backlight:           60
Brightness:          40-50 (40 for my Off-Axis viewing) 
Contrast:            50 
Color:                0
Tint:                 0 
Sharpness:          100 (For Old B&W Films.) 
                   (0-to-100 depending how you like sharpness/softness of content.) 

Advanced

Color Temp:         Normal 

(The Next 5 are Set to OFF.)

Film:               Auto

How has this improved your picture? Are you sticking with 5% or changed it to a higher percentage?
post #9403 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having trouble finding best settings for 50" any help? Thanks in advance.
post #9404 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwicktarheels View Post
How has this improved your picture? Are you sticking with 5% or changed it to a higher percentage?

This setting produces a 'rich' Sepia (brown) tone to B&W content. I could not do this with Firmware 1.08. Works great when seated perpendicular. Off-Axis is ok, but there are tone shifts in the mid-to-upper range. Some slight pinks and greens. The 'rich' Sepia tone is great - perpendicularly. Not as rich Off-Axis.

I changed all the Gain Levels (5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100%). They are all the same except the 5% Gain, where I wanted to retain more of the 'Black' in the darkest, 'blackest' parts of the image.

I used the Ramp Test Pattern (11 vertical bars) and the Flat Test Pattern as my guide when I adjusted the White Balance.

I may touch-up the 5% and/or 10% level and see how I want it. However, since the firmware update (1.34), I think the old Sepia setting from 1.08 is still there. So, do I have Sepia on top of Sepia now?

I'll end up doing a Reset of the TV one day and start over and see if the above settings still hold up.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 07-04-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Because I wanted too. :)
post #9405 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I agree, it all depends on how it is done. I recently got the M501-A2r for the 3D ability instead of waiting for the 2014 models, which sound better in picture quality but lack 3D. I've enjoyed going through the various B-R sets I have which contain 3D versions. Most were quite enjoyable (to me at least) and some were ones I had not seen in 3D in theaters. The ones which were most enjoyable were usually those where they were not written simply for the 3D effects. Good writing generally trumps special effects (whether or not that effect is 3D or not). That happens to be my $0.02, your results may differ.
I agree on both counts. At this stage theres a whole generation of major motion pictures, not to mention incredible independent films and short films, that were made and intended to be seen in 3D. Sometimes 3D is the only compelling reason to watch a movie (like The Croods, which I had intended to watch the one month it was available in 3D on Netflix). To not have access to this content as it was meant to be seen, when the technology is relatively cheap and effective, seems incredibly short-sighted. Especially for companies like Vizio and Netflix, who have demonstrated the capability of providing an excellent 3D home theater experience.

The 2013 Vizio M-series provided arguably the best-in-class 3D at an incredible bargain. Now they've dropped it this year just when more and more people are getting turned on to 3D, and they had a chance to add quality full-array local dimming to the experience. But I can almost understand Vizio skipping a year so as not to compete with an already outstanding product.

But what's the deal with Netflix? Netflix only has 29 3D movies listed in that category (though there are more scattered throughout the library that are not listed (?)). What's up with that? It's not like they've stopped making 3D movies. It certainly can't be a bandwidth issue when the total number of 3D members is probably not great, and they're planning on launching a 4K streaming service soon.

Sure I can find 3D content other places, but why should I have to pay another service to stream the 3D version of a popular film like The Avengers? In fact, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would pay Netflix extra monthly the price of that one movie from another service to have access to the 3D version of movies. Seems like a no-brainer. C'mon Netflix, take (more of) my (3D loving) money!
mhobart and QuadraQ like this.
post #9406 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Check out "The Lego Movie 3D" might revive your families interest in 3D
Could you name some 3d movies that have some good pop out scenes???
post #9407 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Check this forum thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=171400
post #9408 of 9867 Old 07-04-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got the new update last week......was looking for some links or posts in this thread with new picture settings to take advantage of the additional settings.

Also I wanted to comment on the 3D discussion....I bought this TV(60in) because it was the best TV, BY FAR, in terms of picture quality and features in the price range. the 3D was just a bonus and if I thought I was paying more for the 3D then I may have felt differently. That being said....I've used the 3D a dozen or so times and have been thoroughly impressed each time. Sure, its not IMAX or something, but its by far the best in-home 3D I've ever seen and everyone who's been at my place and watched some 3D content was equally impressed. One of the best things is that you can be sitting off-centered and still get a good quality 3D effect. The picture quality and things like black/whites are stellar especially after reading about how 3D can really ruin things like dark scenes, blacks, etc....overall I would say the 3D feature is completely underrated and would certainly have payed a little bit extra for it.

and just last week I was searching for a movie to watch On Demand via my Comcast and I came across a 3D(HD) section that I had never noticed before...when I clicked on it I was completely shocked to see a bunch of newly released box office movies like Gravity, Hobbit: Desolation, 47 Ronin, 300, LEGO Movie etc.....all in 3D-HD and only costing an additional $1 to rent. the picture quality was excellent and the 3D was clean and immersive...can't recommend it enough.

if you have Comcast just go to On Demand/Movies then scroll down to "By Genre & 3D(HD)" then click 3D.
mhobart and lotohnz like this.
post #9409 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Pop out 3D not used often but my best pop out 3D scene is the potato cod in IMAX Under the Sea.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #9410 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

For some people, maybe. It's all opinion...plenty of people like it. Personally I cant comprehend how anyone can hate on it...the depth I get on my vizio is outstanding. The wife and I love at home 3D and know several others into it as well.
post #9411 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I got my updates from 1.09 -> 1.34 on my 42 and my 70 over the past couple days, noticed it yesterday morning. The 70 is being fairly unresponsive to the remote (wifi and IR). The HDMI control with my Yamaha is also affected with delayed and/or no power on/off, all things that were working quite well on 1.09.

The WEIRDEST thing is that the 70 turned itself on sometime last night, and did NOT turn on the Yamaha!!!!

Don't have time right now to do a factory reset but I'm pretty sure that's where I need to start.
post #9412 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
A fad, a sales pitch, something different. Anyway, questionable benefit for the price you pay: wearing glasses, lower brightness or lower resolution.
My family likes the 3D, on our passive sets at least. They never use it on the active sets.
post #9413 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
For me it's not about "pop out" scenes, it's about the 3D depth present through most movies. Life of Pi and Gravity are two of my favorites.
post #9414 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Would any of you trade your great wide viewing angles of the edge-lit IPS 2013 M for the better straight-on blacks and weaker viewing angles of the FALD 2014 M series?
post #9415 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
It's more then just a gimmick. It's not just about movies. You can up-convert TV and porn to 3D with something like PowerDVD, but that's not quite as good as native. But it isn't all about that either. 3D has serious applications in the fields of science, engineering, and other serious stuff. I study 3D molecules and having a 3D display to see them on is really helpful. Then there are the video games. Video games can start supporting 3D any day now. The consoles and the developers have the technology all figured out, it's just whether they decide to put the option in or not. 3D greatly improves gaming, not just as special effects, when you can play better because you can see better. You get better depth perspective. When I sit down with friends to watch something like Game of Thrones or Cosmos, I ask, should I turn the 3D on, and they always say yes.
post #9416 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I received the V1.34.31.0080 update last night on my M401i-A3 and other than my calibration settings resetting, I've noticed a flicker on the bottom left of the screen. I primarily use this TV as a monitor and I've never had the flicker issue before.

Any help is appreciated in this matter! Thank you.
post #9417 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
my m55 has 1.34.28,1024 and first I noticed the picture was darker and now I noticed Netflix buffering and performed the network test in the TV's menu and get about 900kb/s. the wifi is crippled.

My Equipment: 55" Vizio M-Series | Windows Media Center with HDHR Prime | Suddenlink Cable | Harmony One with Harmony IR Extender System
post #9418 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
Today I was trying to track down some wireless issues and fired up inSSIDer to check out what's going on. Besides the familiar networks in the neighborhood I saw a new wireless network named DIRECT-II-VIZIOTV, it's MAC address is the WLAN interface on my M601d-A3. I haven't scanned my network in quite some time so I'm not sure how long it's been here, but Google returned nothing on this name (nor did a search here).

The TV is of course joined to my WiFi for streaming and updates, this network is on the same channel so may be causing interference, it's also secure so I can't join it, and it's very strong.

Is anyone familiar with the Vizio TV's creating their own network, and what it's purpose might be – streaming directly from a Vizio tablet for instance? I searched briefly in the menus but didn't see any reference to this., does anyone else see it?

Also glad I stopped by as I also didn't know about the new update and had noticed the picture looking very washed out, guess I have to readjust the settings. Thanks to those who posted about it.

Edit: In reading some of the previous posts regarding the remote using WIFi I guess this could be the purpose? I use a Harmony so I'd rather turn this 'feature' off if I don't need it.
I put fresh batteries in my remote to start a new check for battery life (1.61 V, battery level 100%.) I re-paired the remote because it wouldn’t work behind my back, so I figured it was talking to the TV on IR instead of Bluetooth.

I logged into my wireless router and I see the WLAN MAC address for the TV but not the remote, so I’m guessing the remote is talking directly to the TV.

I checked signals in the area with inSSIDer 2.1 and 3.0 and I see an SSID “DIRECT-KU-VIZIOTV” being broadcast. It’s the same signal strength as my wireless router so I’m thinking it’s my TV, but oddly the MAC address is off in the first two digits (02 instead of 00,) but the rest of the MAC address is identical.
post #9419 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Maybe the TV needs to broadcast an SSID so the remote can find it?
post #9420 of 9867 Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Eagle View Post
I do have a question concerning lip sync issues, especially if you have a M701d-A3R. I've also noticed some problems there, both before the 1.34 update and after. So nothing has changed. I have a Comcast DVR and blu-ray connected via HDMI to a Sony AVR, with an HDMI going from the AVR to the TV's HDMI 1 input. The sync issue is the same for both TV and blu-ray viewing.

Has anyone had this issue and found a way to solve it? I'm currently using a 60ms delay on the AVR, which gets the sync close, but there's still a slightly visible difference.

I am using a sound bar and had it connected to the TV. I was having lip sync issues as well so I did some experimenting and ended up bypassing the TV and hooking the sound bar directing from my Comcast DVR cable box. Working much better now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page