Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9481 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Are you sure it's not just the Netflix menu that is causing the problem? I noticed this with the Amazon app. When in the menu, changing any video settings has no effect, but once you start streaming a movie or program, the picture settings function as normal.

Anyways, after going back and forth trying to figure out settings for 1.34, I just settled on using the "Calibrated" mode with everything turned off and Sharpness put down to zero. This weekend I'll probably go through and mess with my WOW disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Are you sure it's not just the Netflix menu that is causing the problem? I noticed this with the Amazon app. When in the menu, changing any video settings has no effect, but once you start streaming a movie or program, the picture settings function as normal.

Anyways, after going back and forth trying to figure out settings for 1.34, I just settled on using the "Calibrated" mode with everything turned off and Sharpness put down to zero. This weekend I'll probably go through and mess with my WOW disc.
I will check after I start watching a movie but I did notice it had a blue hue, I didn't switch between the modes though
post #9483 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa99 View Post
Here is a final/full calibration I did for my M601D V1.34 FW. I won't be doing anymore calibrations as I feel these are spot on FOR THESE PICTURE SETTINGS. If you change the picture settings the calibration may suffer.
Here is the process I used.
Go to 'Custom 1' settings. The presets cannot be changed and saved so use Custom 1 which can be saved as can the other custom settings.
These were done for HDMI 1 but should translate to other inputs as well, so if you like them make sure you set the other inputs too.

1. Picture mode Custom 1
2. Turn off autobrightness
3. Black detail to medium
4. Color Temp to 'Normal'
5. Picture settings. 45 47 50 38 0 50 starting with 45 for Backlight and down the line.
6. Go into Professional picture settings.
7. Offset 1 2 1
8. Gain 8 6 10
9. Still in Professional settings.
Brightness R G B
0 -39 -50
Below is the RGB graph. DeltaE avg was .64. I've also included some pictures taken with my IPhone which seems to brighten highlights and oversaturate the colors. The actual colors were about 20% less saturated.
As always YMMV. If they work for you great, if not there are others in the forum that may work.
Good Luck,
Ursa
Custom 1? I only have custom 4-7...I'm so confused. I want to try these for HDMI 2 but there's no Custom 1 under that.

Last edited by Urlacher5454; 07-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #9484 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Custom 4 -7 or Custom 1 - 8. That is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post
Custom 1? I only have custom 4-7...I'm so confused. I want to try these for HDMI 2 but there's no Custom 1 under that.
My M601D has Custom 1 - 8 on HDMI 1 and 5 Custom settings for HDMI 2.
Menu--->Picture Mode--->Custom 1 - 8 or 1 - 5. Scroll down to see all the custom settings avail.
I think you can use any custom settings whether they are 1-8 or 4-7. This is so you can save the settings. The presets cannot be changed and saved from what I've seen.
Ursa

Last edited by ursa99; 07-08-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added HDMI 2 avail custom settings.
post #9485 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Active LED Zones

I have a M651d-A2R and got the update about a week ago. I am very pleased, especially with the now usable remote. There is a new setting on the Advanced menu that I have not seen discussed here. It is titled "Active LED Zones" and the description says "Dynamically improves the contrast by locally adjusting backlight zones. The adjustment is controlled by the content of the screen". It seems to improve the picture in a dark room but not in a bright room. Any other experiences?
post #9486 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post

It does correct after I go into the movie. Thanks
post #9487 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone watched a 3D movie since the Firmware update? It's weird, because now I'm having serious issues... With Smooth Motion activated, one eye tends to feel kind of like it's one frame behind when there's quick motion, and the effect is jarring. Without Smooth Motion (PC Mode) it's a LOT worse than it used to be and the framerate is brutally bad. I tried this one several different movies, and all of them had the same problem. I tried turning off the set, changing video settings, everything, but it just seems like the entire 3D visual system is boinked up.
post #9488 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
Let it go.

Ooh, I let that go alright. It was just a shock to see that when up to now, I always used the 'Normal' Color Temp.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected to a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.
post #9489 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Spent last night and today assimilating and comparing Ursa's latest Color Tuner settings. To start with I zeroed out my Cyan/Magenta adjustments and plugged Ursa's settings in verbatim. It looked great, and when I checked them against the AVSHD 708 disc, there were some very interesting results: raising the Color level to 49-50 almost completely eliminated the Tint issue without adjusting the Cyan/Magenta hue. However, there was no color level setting that would jibe with the test pattern. That's probably the difference between Ursa's 60" and my 55".

So I zeroed out the R G B brightness and ended up just lowering the Blue brightness to -4. Boom... the color level and tint test pattern measured exactly flat. The picture looked great. Watching ESPN, local news, baseball and World Cup, I bounced back and forth between this and my earlier Cyan/Magenta adjusted settings, and really had a hard time deciding which I like better. (both read flat on the AVSHD 709 color pattern). With the Color at 49-50, R G B Blue brightness at -4, and the Cyan/Magenta hue flat the flesh tones looked just a tad over-saturated, while with the Color at 46, R G B Blue brightness at 0 and the Cyan /Magenta adjusted there was less "pop", but the flesh tones were less "flushed". I finally decoded to go with (so far) the slightly adjusted Cyan/Magenta shifted settings:

Contrast: 79

Color: 46

Ursa's latest Offset and Gain levels,

R G B brightness: 0

Cyan hue: -3

Magenta hue: -6

So that's where I am now... but somehow I don't think I'm finished tweaking the picture. Sometimes too many choices can be a bad thing...

btw, thanks again Ursa.
post #9490 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreasier View Post
I have a M651d-A2R and got the update about a week ago. I am very pleased, especially with the now usable remote. There is a new setting on the Advanced menu that I have not seen discussed here. It is titled "Active LED Zones" and the description says "Dynamically improves the contrast by locally adjusting backlight zones. The adjustment is controlled by the content of the screen". It seems to improve the picture in a dark room but not in a bright room. Any other experiences?
What firmware version do you have? I don't have that option on my 55"/v1.34.28.1034_125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringheeldJack View Post
Has anyone watched a 3D movie since the Firmware update? It's weird, because now I'm having serious issues... With Smooth Motion activated, one eye tends to feel kind of like it's one frame behind when there's quick motion, and the effect is jarring. Without Smooth Motion (PC Mode) it's a LOT worse than it used to be and the framerate is brutally bad. I tried this one several different movies, and all of them had the same problem. I tried turning off the set, changing video settings, everything, but it just seems like the entire 3D visual system is boinked up.
I'm having no problems with 3D. But how are you setting the Smooth Motion level for 3D? It's greyed out when I watch 3D (has been for a couple firmware versions). I know you can make a custom preset for 3D beforehand, but even still the setting is greyed out when viewing 3D, so I'm not sure even the preset Smooth Motion level has any effect.
post #9491 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM

It's always grayed out, but if you want it off you can go to the PC setting and it'll be grayed out and set to "off" so you can get rid of the motion smoothing. Is that what you're referring to?
post #9492 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post

Spent last night and today assimilating and comparing Ursa's latest Color Tuner settings...

With the 1.34 Firmware, do these picture adjustments work across all TV sizes and panel types?

I have the M40i... A3 panel.

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware I have: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
connected to a
to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. Using: Win7 Pro and FireFox 32.
post #9493 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
It's always grayed out, but if you want it off you can go to the PC setting and it'll be grayed out and set to "off" so you can get rid of the motion smoothing. Is that what you're referring to?
Thanks, I'll try that. I actually like Smooth Motion when I'm watching 3D, but it would be nice to have another option.
post #9494 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
With the 1.34 Firmware, do these picture adjustments work across all TV sizes and panel types?

I have the M40i... A3 panel.
Well, so far I've found Ursa's Color Tuner Offset and Gain settings work great on my 55". His other Color Tuner settings also work to some degree, though as I posted they don't measure correctly when using the color test pattern on the AVSHD 709 disk (probably due to the differences in his 60" model and my 55" model"). The other settings are tuned to my 55" using the AVSHD 709 disk, and also reflect my preference for a generally brighter picture (backlight) than his settings.
post #9495 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Spent last night and today assimilating and comparing Ursa's latest Color Tuner settings. To start with I zeroed out my Cyan/Magenta adjustments and plugged Ursa's settings in verbatim. It looked great, and when I checked them against the AVSHD 708 disc, there were some very interesting results: raising the Color level to 49-50 almost completely eliminated the Tint issue without adjusting the Cyan/Magenta hue. However, there was no color level setting that would jibe with the test pattern. That's probably the difference between Ursa's 60" and my 55".

So I zeroed out the R G B brightness and ended up just lowering the Blue brightness to -4. Boom... the color level and tint test pattern measured exactly flat. The picture looked great. Watching ESPN, local news, baseball and World Cup, I bounced back and forth between this and my earlier Cyan/Magenta adjusted settings, and really had a hard time deciding which I like better. (both read flat on the AVSHD 709 color pattern). With the Color at 49-50, R G B Blue brightness at -4, and the Cyan/Magenta hue flat the flesh tones looked just a tad over-saturated, while with the Color at 46, R G B Blue brightness at 0 and the Cyan /Magenta adjusted there was less "pop", but the flesh tones were less "flushed". I finally decoded to go with (so far) the slightly adjusted Cyan/Magenta shifted settings:

So that's where I am now... but somehow I don't think I'm finished tweaking the picture. Sometimes too many choices can be a bad thing...

btw, thanks again Ursa.
Looks great on my end, thanks. Thanks to everyone who has been spending hours tweaking their settings and sharing them here. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does as well.
post #9496 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Cycle through your color temps see if it changes at all. Mine did not so I was not able to adjust that inputs settings to get a acceptable PQ. I use a Roku for Netflix but it lacks 3D and I wanted to watch a 3D movie on Netflix :-(
Just checked it out and mine is the same way
post #9497 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:

btw, thanks again Ursa.
If you can please post your full final settings going to use yours on my 50
post #9498 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD4L View Post
Just checked it out and mine is the same way
It seems to correct itself when you start the movie. Guess we have a fix on the way that we we'll wait and wait for with the a firmware.

Last edited by PlayNice; 07-08-2014 at 08:31 PM.
post #9499 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris nosnah View Post
If you can please post your full final settings going to use yours on my 50
Sure. With my standard disclaimer, of course: I'm not a professional calibrator, I just play one at home, meaning I have no calibration tools other than the AVSHD 709 disk and my eyes, so ymmv...

M551d-A2, v1.34.28.1034_125

Auto Brightness: Off

Backlight: custom Calibrated/custom Game: 84, custom Dark Calibrated: 69, custom photo: 67, custom 3D: 96

Brightness: 52, custom 3D: 53

Tint: 0*

Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture:

Color Temperature: Normal

Black Detail: Off

Smart Dimming: On

Smooth Motion Effect: custom Cal., Dark Cal: Low, custom Game, custom sports: High

Reduce Signal Noise: Off

Reduce Block Noise: Off

Film Mode: Auto

Professional Picture:

Color Tuner:

*According to the AVSHD 709 disk the Tint was off (-3), so I left it at 0 and went into the Color Tuner. The new Color Tuner lets you turn off the 2 of the 3 main color channels, so by turning off the Red and Green channels I was able to use the Blue channel to balance the color. Lowering the Cyan and Magenta Hue settings fixed the tint.

Ursa's latest Color Tuner Offset and Gain settings:

Red Offset: 1

Green Offset: 2

Blue Offset: 1

Red Gain: 8

Green Gain: 6

Blue Gain: 10

My Tint adjustment:

Cyan Hue: -3

Magenta Hue: -6

Red/Green/Blue: Hue/Saturation/Brightness: 0

cnet's 11-point white balance (for 2014 M-series) (they might not correlate exactly, but they settings definitely seem to be an improvement over the default settings. After living with them awhile I tried going back to the default settings, but it was just way too hard to look at. With the cnet settings I'm getting finer shadow detail and much less eye fatigue. So I'll keep using them until someone comes up with 11-point White Balance settings for the 2013 models):

[Gain amounts for Red, Green and Blue]

5%: 10, -1, 1

10%: 16, 8, 39

20%: 3, 1, 24

30%: -8, -6, -7

40%: -24, -23, -6

50%: -48, -39, -31

60%: -50, -50, -36

70%: -50, -50, -34

80%: -50, -50, -39

90%: -42, -45, -50

100%: 0, -10, 0

There you go. Hope that helps...
post #9500 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
What firmware version do you have? I don't have that option on my 55"/v1.34.28.1034_125.
Ditto. I have no such setting regarding "Active LED Zones" on my 50" running 1.34.
post #9501 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I've had no problems with 3D since the updates (I've had two versions of 1.34 since I got my M501D-A2r). I had the smooth motion turned off by default.
post #9502 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the exact same version - 1.34.28.1034_125
Under Advanced Picture the menu items are:
Color Temperature
Black Detail
Active LED Zones
Smooth Motion Effect
Reduce Signal Noise
Reduce Block Noise
Picture Size
Picture Position
Film Mode
Wide
3D

Could it be 65" specific?

Last edited by mreasier; 07-08-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #9503 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreasier View Post
I have the exact same version - 1.34.28.1034_125
Under Advanced Picture the menu items are:
Color Temperature
Black Detail
Active LED Zones
Smooth Motion Effect
Reduce Signal Noise
Reduce Block Noise
Picture Size
Picture Position
Film Mode
Wide
3D

Could it be 65" specific?
Possibly, but I think more than likely it's a 2014 M-series option. I also think it's interesting because I can't think of a situation where you would want to limit the number of active dimming zones. The more zones the better, unless theres an application I'm not aware of.
post #9504 of 9888 Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy M401iA3

So I called up Vizio the other day and while I had good old "Cindy" on the phone I asked her about rolling out the update to me. She, like any good company, denied that it was being rolled out and that I was firmly screwed. Got the remote fixed though. Yesterday I turn on the TV and it magically got updated to 1.34. Now my color settings are really messed up.

FYI: Connecting to this via an HDMI to DVI cable to my Macbook Pro. There is no adapter. There is a male DVI on one end and a male HDMI on the other.

My dilemma is one of dual calibration. While I can manipulate the TV, the OS has a robust display calibration feature in and of itself. It seems you all are calibrating via static inputs (Cable TV, Blu-Ray and media players, etc) How should one go about this? I don't know how many of you just use your TV as a giant monitor.

Naturally, I can go off of Ursa's settings but my display configuration of OS X may be off so that is a possibility why all these settings seem to be going awry on this end.

I did reset the TV and put the OS display settings to default. Not the best since the picture is not too bright and under-saturated.

post #9505 of 9888 Old 07-09-2014, 03:20 PM

I got my replacement remote today. Vizio shipped it yesterday and overnighted it. My old remote, under the cover, says the FW version is V22/V22. This new one says the FW version is V45.

This new remote functions WAY better than my old one. The old one I had to really mash the hell out of the buttons to get it to register that I was pressing them. The new one feels the way a remote should feel. Just a light press and it registers. Also on the new one, the backlighting is MUCH dimmer than the old one. I'd imagine that will help with battery life.

Overall very pleased with Vizios prompt customer service and the quality of the new remote. Good thing I got in contact with them as my initial 1-year warranty is up in like two weeks.
post #9506 of 9888 Old 07-09-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How do we get the latest firmware?

My current info:
M601d-A3
FW-V1.34.27.0090

Thanks!
post #9507 of 9888 Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDINZ View Post
How do we get the latest firmware?

My current info:
M601d-A3
FW-V1.34.27.0090

Thanks!
Connect to the network and wait.
post #9508 of 9888 Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Sure. With my standard disclaimer, of course: I'm not a professional calibrator, I just play one at home, meaning I have no calibration tools other than the AVSHD 709 disk and my eyes, so ymmv...

M551d-A2, v1.34.28.1034_125

Auto Brightness: Off

Backlight: custom Calibrated/custom Game: 84, custom Dark Calibrated: 69, custom photo: 67, custom 3D: 96

Brightness: 52, custom 3D: 53

Tint: 0*

Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture:

Color Temperature: Normal

Black Detail: Off

Smart Dimming: On

Smooth Motion Effect: custom Cal., Dark Cal: Low, custom Game, custom sports: High

Reduce Signal Noise: Off

Reduce Block Noise: Off

Film Mode: Auto

Professional Picture:

Color Tuner:

*According to the AVSHD 709 disk the Tint was off (-3), so I left it at 0 and went into the Color Tuner. The new Color Tuner lets you turn off the 2 of the 3 main color channels, so by turning off the Red and Green channels I was able to use the Blue channel to balance the color. Lowering the Cyan and Magenta Hue settings fixed the tint.

Ursa's latest Color Tuner Offset and Gain settings:

Red Offset: 1

Green Offset: 2

Blue Offset: 1

Red Gain: 8

Green Gain: 6

Blue Gain: 10

My Tint adjustment:

Cyan Hue: -3

Magenta Hue: -6

Red/Green/Blue: Hue/Saturation/Brightness: 0

cnet's 11-point white balance (for 2014 M-series) (they might not correlate exactly, but they settings definitely seem to be an improvement over the default settings. After living with them awhile I tried going back to the default settings, but it was just way too hard to look at. With the cnet settings I'm getting finer shadow detail and much less eye fatigue. So I'll keep using them until someone comes up with 11-point White Balance settings for the 2013 models):

[Gain amounts for Red, Green and Blue]

5%: 10, -1, 1

10%: 16, 8, 39

20%: 3, 1, 24

30%: -8, -6, -7

40%: -24, -23, -6

50%: -48, -39, -31

60%: -50, -50, -36

70%: -50, -50, -34

80%: -50, -50, -39

90%: -42, -45, -50

100%: 0, -10, 0

There you go. Hope that helps...
This looks really good, but one thing I've noticed is a bit of red/purplish tint in some light greys, and skin tones look blown out when there is a lot of light. I watched a scene with people under stage lighting and their faces looked overexposed, almost like when someone smears way too much concealer(or whatever you call that flesh colored makeup) over their face. I know it's not the source cause I've watched the movie many times before.

I can't figure out what's causing it because under any other conditions the skin tones look absolutely flawless. Given it only happens for high brightness scenes it must be a high end white balance issue, but all my numbers match yours exactly.

For the record I have the same model and firmware as you.
lotohnz likes this.
post #9509 of 9888 Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPower View Post

I watched a scene with people under stage lighting and their faces looked overexposed, almost like when someone smears way too much concealer(or whatever you call that flesh colored makeup) over their face. I know it's not the source cause I've watched the movie many times before.

I can't figure out what's causing it...

The Backlight, and especially the Contrast are pretty HIGH. Depending on source/content, there will be 'overexposure' or 'over-driven' issues. This has been my experience when driving the Backlight and/or especially the Contrast too high.

- Pj
connected to a
post #9510 of 9888 Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I'm looking at this m series monitor. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...140710104027:s

I was wondering if this is a true 120hz panel and if this offers a 24p mode, also is it possible to turn off the soap opera affect
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page