Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 323 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9661 of 9675 Old 07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Latest attempt on M501d-A2R settings. (Sony BDP-S5100 outputting RGB and Spears & Munsil 2. Results using the YCbCr options yielded inferior performance to RGB on the Spears & Munsil Colorspace Evaluation pattern.) I forgot to capture the full version number on the Vizio, but it is the 1.34 version. I did a factory reset just prior to this. Even after the factory reset, the picture still comes up with odd coloring such as green/purple flesh tone hues and reduced color intensity until the top banner disappears after the TV is first turned on.

Grayscale was left at defaults, as CNET's calibration report for the M551d-A2R shows good RGB balance and grayscale results pre-calibration, with the pre-calibration actually being better at 100IRE, and more uniform across the scale than the post-calibration, although with a very slightly higher overall dE. Based on their report, the variances between pre and post calibration appear to be so small as to be imperceptible. Whether the post firmware update default grayscale is the same as the pre firmware update default grayscale is debatable (as I don't have equipment to accurately measure it). Hopefully there was no change made.

The CMS options are still confusing to me. This time I tried to correct the color setting patterns using only the color brightness controls, rather than using the hue controls for the secondary colors. I'm uncertain if this is correct, although the results appear correct based upon the color test patterns for red green and blue. If the Vizio is a wide gamut display, meaning that it uses primary colors that are saturated beyond rec. 709 specs and then uses the CMS to compensate, my methodology for setting the color and hue controls, as well as the CMS controls may be incorrect. However this would also likely make the blue only (as well as the red and green only) options pointless, as none of display's primary colors would ever be displayed alone when reproducing a rec. 709 (HDTV) image. Mixing of the primary colors would always be necessary in order to desaturate the primary colors to rec. 709 specs.

Does anyone know for sure if the Vizio M series used rec. 709 primaries, or if it is a wide-gamut display?

In any case, I'm quite satisfied with the image and color quality for Blu-ray discs. I copied these settings for the internal ATSC receiver, and the results while watching OTA TV seem more questionable. This may be an indication that the Sony BDP-S5100 chroma output is above standard (which I experienced with a BDP-S1).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (89.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (81.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (107.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 07-26-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai66 View Post

After 6 months, I've probably changed the batteries around 6-8 times, which seems way too often.

I'll admit that I often tweak the picture, but that's all I use the remote for.

That IS TOO OFTEN!

I get about 1-and-a-half months of battery use with my Vizio remote (Sticker inside says Feb 2013). I think the Wi-Fi will eat the batteries even quicker, so I unpaired my remote (Wi-Fi Off).

My remote for the Sony DVR is used much more often and I get about a year out of those batteries!

Something is very, very wrong with this remote. This surely cannot be the expected lifespan of the batteries for this Vizio remote?

- Pj

Vizio M401i-A3 (40") V1.34.31.0080. APC Back-UPS for DHG250 V1.2.21; Did UserConfigReset (no TVGOS Patches, FPC); 653214741 Reset aprx 12am every 4th, 5th, or 6th Thu. No CableCard. OTA & Analog/Digital Cable Service*. ClearStream-4 to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; RF-In to local Cable*. WMC with WinTV-HVR-2250.
post #9663 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is Remote RF?

I just bought the VIZIO M602i-B3 60-inch and it is on its way through the mail. I was wondering if the Remote is RF? Also if not where on the front of the TV is the Sensor for the remote?
post #9664 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8whosnext8 View Post
I just bought the VIZIO M602i-B3 60-inch and it is on its way through the mail. I was wondering if the Remote is RF? Also if not where on the front of the TV is the Sensor for the remote?
Should be RF depending on which firmware it's at and sensor on TV is bottom left, underside edge of TV as you're looking at the TV from the your viewing position.
post #9665 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see some of you guys using like 50 contrast, how is that possible?

In my AVS HD test I only see 230-235 flash reguardless of contrast, I never see the others but I need like 82 contrast to barely see 235 flash.

m492i is my tv. using a HTPC aswell.
post #9666 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renji1337 View Post
I see some of you guys using like 50 contrast, how is that possible?

In my AVS HD test I only see 230-235 flash reguardless of contrast, I never see the others but I need like 82 contrast to barely see 235 flash.

m492i is my tv. using a HTPC aswell.
Your HTPC is obviously outputting PC level RGB video rather than video level. Are there any options on it for the ColorSpace or video range, which might be labeled as YCbCr, RGB FULL, RGB Limited, RGB PC, RGB Video, SuperWhite, etc.? (Sorry, I'm not familiar with the HTPC options.)

If you cannot select a video level output option (which should restore the flashing of levels above 235) then select the HIGHEST contrast where 234 flashes (on the individual R G and B patterns if you have them. 235 should be the peak white level with PC levels, so if you are seeing it flashing at all that is simply because your HTPC isn't perfectly clipping at 235, as it should be for PC levels.
post #9667 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
^apparantly I am seeing all 235+ flash. I have my nvidia gpu set to let the video player decide and then XBMC set to 16-235. I turned my contrast down and I can see more flash now but how should I have it set? If I have my contrast at 82 I can barely see 235 flash.

If I use 50-55 like I see alot of people doing I see all the way to 253 flash lol
post #9668 of 9675 Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renji1337 View Post
^apparantly I am seeing all 235+ flash. I have my nvidia gpu set to let the video player decide and then XBMC set to 16-235. I turned my contrast down and I can see more flash now but how should I have it set? If I have my contrast at 82 I can barely see 235 flash.

If I use 50-55 like I see alot of people doing I see all the way to 253 flash lol
From what I can find having XBMC set to "Use limited color range (16-235)" is correct. This should allow the flashing all the way to 253 as you describe. Set your contrast to the highest possible where you can still see 253 flash. If you find while making this adjustment that the color between the flashing bars and the background shifts, then start with the contrast low and turn it up as high as you can before the color starts to shift (while still leaving the 253 bar flashing). This should be a contrast setting slightly less than that where 253 quits flashing. The color shift indicates that one of the primary colors is clipping before the others. On the M501d-A2R that I adjusted 65 was the appropriate setting. Setting the TV to discernibly show all the brightness levels up to 254 will prevent loss of detail in the brightest whites and colors, which in real video often exceed the reference 235 peak brightness level and use the headroom above it.

With XBMC set to "Use limited color range (16-235)" you should also be able to discern the black bars 16 and below if the brightness is set to high while viewing the AVS HD709 brightness pattern.
post #9669 of 9675 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This thread is huge & avsforums search function kinda sucks. Has anyone here calibrated the TV & posted the black & white levels after calibration? If anyone saw something like that posted in this thread, could you give me a heads up? I rather not search through 9,000+ if it was never posted.
post #9670 of 9675 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is there newer firmware than 1.34 27.90

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #9671 of 9675 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, after seeing the supply declining rapidly, I bit the bullet and took a chance on a Sam's Club Auction late last week when I saw them putting up lots of '13 Vizio M models.

I knew I was playing the lottery, hearing a lot of horror stories about Sam's Club Auctions, but I set some price guidelines for myself and figured I'd chance it, knowing at absolute worst, I'd return it and be out the $25 it cost to ship it.

I ended up winning an M601d-A2 for about $880 after tax, shipping, and the cost of my membership figured in. Hard to beat that price. I waited patiently for it to be delivered, all the while afraid they might be sending me the wrong TV (the weight on FedEx tracking was off by about 20 pounds.) But, alas, it was the correct model, and the box was in great condition, save for a few dings here and there that simply looked like shelf-wear.

I opened it up this evening and hoped for the best. I turned it on and was met with a surprisingly uniform Vizio home screen. My experience only continued up from there. I found a mostly uniform screen, with the small imperfections seemingly hidden beautifully by the smart dimming feature. I've only played around minimally with color settings and whatnot. Out of the box was ok at best, but lowering the backlight and some of the other jacked up settings quickly match it watchable. I'll do a whole bunch of correction when I get it on the wall this weekend.

Tested some Blu-Rays, some 3D Blu-Rays, and was impressed all around. The smart-dimming "banding" seen during credits was noticeable, but not bothersome. I'll take black blacks over murky gray in exchange for imperfections like that.

It came with firmware 1.25 out of the box. I quickly checked for any clock or manual 3D issues and found none. Everything is good. I wish I could find a way to force the update before I go on a picture-correction binge this weekend when I get it on the wall.

Incredibly happy that I seemed to have "won the panel lottery", so to speak, while still getting a fantastic deal.
post #9672 of 9675 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DIRECT-IC-VIZIOTV Wifi

From previous posts I understand that this wifi network is being broadcast by my Vizio TV. However my iPad and Dell laptop continually try to connect to this signal, which impacts network performance on the iPad and laptop. Is there a way to stop the Vizio from broadcasting this network? Or if I pair my remote via this Wifi network will my iPad and laptop stop trying to connect to it?

Stu

M471i-A2
V1-34.28.1034_123
Remote Unpaired FW:V22/V22 FW:X8
post #9673 of 9675 Old Today, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Is there newer firmware than 1.34 27.90?

Yes.

- Pj

Vizio M401i-A3 (40") V1.34.31.0080. APC Back-UPS for DHG250 V1.2.21; Did UserConfigReset (no TVGOS Patches, FPC); 653214741 Reset aprx 12am every 4th, 5th, or 6th Thu. No CableCard. OTA & Analog/Digital Cable Service*. ClearStream-4 to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; RF-In to local Cable*. WMC with WinTV-HVR-2250.
post #9674 of 9675 Old Today, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post

This thread is huge & AVSforums search function kinda sucks.

Has anyone here calibrated the TV & posted the black & white levels after calibration?

If anyone saw something like that posted in this thread, could you give me a heads up?
I rather not search through 9,000+ if it was never posted.

Plenty of posts. Do you have an A2 or A3 panel?

Search this site using Google with something like...

Vizio Settings A3 "1.34" Site:AVSforum.com

Note: Searching "1.34" does NOT work within the forum. Indeed, the AVSforum search engine is quite basic, limited, and dis-functional.

I bookmarked/Favorited a number of posts since last year (A3 Panel), however, since the recent firmware 1.34 update, the earlier settings do not apply.

- Pj

post #9675 of 9675 Old Today, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Two quick questions...

1) Does anybody have remote control codes for changing the picture mode? I'd like to use my universal remote to change between "Calibrated" and "Game" modes quickly.

2) Game Mode seems to leave Smooth Motion on Low which probably still adds some lag to the display, so can it be disabled as well? If I do that, then the preset changes from "Game" to "Custom4" (or something like that) and I'm not sure that "Game" mode is still being enabled.

EDIT: Actually, what is the disadvantage to using Game Mode all the time? Can I still calibrate it with my colorimeter or will the picture still be worse compared to something like "Calibrated", etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page