post #9811 of 9834 Old 08-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaversa19 View Post
vizio m501d-a2r
Anyone ever have this issue? When Im watching using anything with hdmi I will periodically get a slight flicker/flash...its like only a frame or 2, almost like a camera shutter.

It doesn't distort the picture but I do notice it and hope its maybe normal or a grounding issue? Really hope its not major, I am under warranty but will really have a tough time finding proof because its random and sometimes I fail to see it for awhile?

Also the DVR does not pick it up so Im doubting its the box...

Anyone...thanks!!
I get the flickr too! It started after I got the latest firmware update about a month ago. It goes away when I turn the backlight down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9834 Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey31 View Post
Also if any PC users are interested, the M651d-A2R accepts pixel clocks up to 313.99MHz without hiccups, and also accepts and displays refresh rates over 240Hz (frame-skipping occurs as the panel does not display any frames above 120; it does however accept up to at least 320Hz input which reduces input lag significantly)

screenshot of UFO Blur Test of 1440x810 @ 320Hz w/ extremely reduced timings:

I use to be able to set a custom refresh rate in the Nvidia CCC and go up to 100Hz, but after the latest firmware update for the Vizio about a month ago, it doesn't work anymore. The screen goes all crazy and I have to let the counter go down and revert back to normal Hz. It won't even let me go to 72Hz. And I have the same Tv. 240Hz 3D

Last edited by Dennis McCarty; 08-15-2014 at 04:26 PM.
post #9813 of 9834 Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 PM

I've been having a few issues since the latest firmware update on my Vizio 50inch M series. First I get the flicker problem now when the backlight is at 100. It doesn't matter whether it's my cable, Ps4, AppleTv, or PC. There's a very quick flickering every 5 mins or so. If I turn the backlight down to 80, the flickering is gone. Second, now it cannot stream my music from either one of my smartphones through DLNA. My Tv doesn't even show up as a device. And it use to before the firmware update. Also, I hate that whenever you change one picture setting, it makes a whole new profile automatically. I really wish I could go back to the old firmware.

Last edited by Dennis McCarty; 08-15-2014 at 10:17 PM.
post #9814 of 9834 Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimo View Post

I did factory reset my television because, for some odd reason, all of my original settings were still there but wonky after the initial update.

So, I decided to reset the tv, and start from scratch. That's when this problem occurred.

Hmm. What about Power Cycling the TV?

Power Cycling a VIZIO HDTV:

__________________________________________________ _____________

More Vizio Videos:

Power Cycling a VIZIO Remote:

Reset your VIZIO VIA Plus HDTV To Factory Defaults:

How to Correct Issues with VIA Plus Applications -
Streaming Issues, Doing a Speed Test, How to Power Cycle, and a Factory TV Reset:

Troubleshooting a VIZIO IR Remote (and Power-Cycling the Remote):

VIZIO M-Series Setup:

Wireless Connecting VIZIO Smart HDTVs:

VIZIO Wired Connection:

- Pj
2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. The Latest Firmware on my TV: V1.34.31.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to a DTX9950 to the Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In. I have Win7 Pro and FireFox 31.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; Today at 06:39 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #9815 of 9834 Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Also if any PC users are interested, the M651d-A2R accepts pixel clocks up to 313.99MHz without hiccups, and also accepts and displays refresh rates over 240Hz (frame-skipping occurs as the panel does not display any frames above 120; it does however accept up to at least 320Hz input which reduces input lag significantly)

screenshot of UFO Blur Test of 1440x810 @ 320Hz w/ extremely reduced timings:

I got it to work now!! You have to make sure the Tv picture setting is set to Computer. I had it set to game and it wouldn't work.
Edit: Strange, now I can change the picture mode back to game and it still works. I'm glad either way. And now I can go up to 120 (I'm not going higher) when before the firmware update I could only get it to 100Hz.
Playing with the frame rate at 120 is so sweet. It also helps some games to run better. I get better FPS in games like AC Black Flag. You don't need to use Vsync if your FPS is high. There's no screen tearing. Even with Vsync on, I still get more FPS. It's great.

Last edited by Dennis McCarty; 08-15-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #9816 of 9834 Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimo View Post
The settings on this page seem to apply only to the older firmwares. I'm on the newest (1.34?), and the settings are completely different.
Did you try it? That post is from after the 1.34 firmware. I had the red screen issue. Those settings fixed it. It isn't a broken component or board or panel. It is a bug in the firmware that causes the screen to show red, green, or blue if the color settings are out of whack. If you see red, your red settings are too low. Green means your green settings are too low. If you don't like the red "tint" to white screens, try adjusting the 80%, 90%, and 100% setting in the white balance menu. Add 1-6 points of blue and/or green, don't just decrease red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McCarty View Post
I got it to work now!! You have to make sure the Tv picture setting is set to Computer. I had it set to game and it wouldn't work.
Edit: Strange, now I can change the picture mode back to game and it still works. I'm glad either way. And now I can go up to 120 (I'm not going higher) when before the firmware update I could only get it to 100Hz.
Playing with the frame rate at 120 is so sweet. It also helps some games to run better. I get better FPS in games like AC Black Flag. You don't need to use Vsync if your FPS is high. There's no screen tearing. Even with Vsync on, I still get more FPS. It's great.
Weird, I too got some wonky results on Game setting before, so I test resolutions on a custom edited Calibrated setting. Glad you got 120hz working. Pretty awesome to have decent quality 120hz computer monitor features on a big screen TV in the living room.

Also about VSync, have you ever tried Frame Rate Target in Precision X or a similar utility like Afterburner? You can set a cap at like 119hz and the GPU limits the amount of frames it attempts to render, which actually allows it to slow down in scenes where it was trying to render 200fps, which keeps it slightly cooler and more efficient when it is having a harder time rendering the full 119 fps in other scenes. You can also use it with VSync on as well, which still limits it to 120hz during areas where the fps jumps to 121+ for fractions of a second. I still see tearing with both of them off in FPS games when quickly changing direction with the mouse, but that may be because some games run over 300+ fps on my pc and the number of frames being dropped at that point is significant. I usually use both and turn VSync off in all game menus since I use global VSync.

Also if you like low input lag, try a custom 1440x810 resolution at 240+ Hz. Literally zero input lag is noticeable to me. Plus with VSync on there isn't really any tearing, and playing some FPS games at 240hz is really fun. 1280x720 at 300+ Hz works too, but it drops enough frames to introduce a weird twitch sometimes.
post #9817 of 9834 Old 08-16-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Nope, sure doesn't. Those items are becoming a novelty on modern sets. Yes, I understand that suck, but it's just how things are.

Seriously?
Being able to use Headphones on a TV is a big thing for me, as I use it at night & with the volume high.

Is there no workaround or adapters to be able to use headphones on these TV sets?

There HAS to be someone to use headphone with the TV somehow?
post #9818 of 9834 Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
Seriously?
Being able to use Headphones on a TV is a big thing for me, as I use it at night & with the volume high.

Is there no workaround or adapters to be able to use headphones on these TV sets?

Older M–series TVs had Bluetooth so that you could sync Bluetooth headphones with the TV. But that feature was inexplicably dropped.
post #9819 of 9834 Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotohnz View Post
Older M–series TVs had Bluetooth so that you could sync Bluetooth headphones with the TV. But that feature was inexplicably dropped.
Can I plug in an RCA audio to 3.5mm adapter to the back with the L & R audio inputs at the back & have that work with HDMI?
post #9820 of 9834 Old 08-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Can I plug in an RCA audio to 3.5mm adapter to the back with the L & R audio inputs at the back & have that work with HDMI?
Not sure about your application, but I use this type of connection with my Xbox 360 to get sound to my turtle beach x32's. Hdmi from Xbox to TV, audio out from tv to turtle beach adapter then wireless from turtle beach adapter to x32's. The x32's do have their own built in volume control though.
post #9821 of 9834 Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Question Possible for m501d to play usb subtitles? Best config to brighten 3D?

Is it possible to get subtitles to play on movies when using the USB?

When 3D is active, the screen gets darker...this plus the fact that the glasses are darker seems kinda dumb. Any way to fix?
post #9822 of 9834 Old 08-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheyman12 View Post
Is it possible to get subtitles to play on movies when using the USB?

When 3D is active, the screen gets darker...this plus the fact that the glasses are darker seems kinda dumb. Any way to fix?
If you have the firmware up to 1.09, you have seperate settings for 3D and 2D and if you have firmware after 1.09 you will utilize the same settings for 3D and 2D but I believe it adjust the brightness accordingly.

That said if you have not edited the settings for 3D on the firmware 1.09 and below you may have a darker brughtness setting.

I am going to hook up my meter to see how much the brightness is affected in the firmware after 1.25 I have 1.34.
post #9823 of 9834 Old 08-17-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Weird, I too got some wonky results on Game setting before, so I test resolutions on a custom edited Calibrated setting. Glad you got 120hz working. Pretty awesome to have decent quality 120hz computer monitor features on a big screen TV in the living room.

Also about VSync, have you ever tried Frame Rate Target in Precision X or a similar utility like Afterburner? You can set a cap at like 119hz and the GPU limits the amount of frames it attempts to render, which actually allows it to slow down in scenes where it was trying to render 200fps, which keeps it slightly cooler and more efficient when it is having a harder time rendering the full 119 fps in other scenes. You can also use it with VSync on as well, which still limits it to 120hz during areas where the fps jumps to 121+ for fractions of a second. I still see tearing with both of them off in FPS games when quickly changing direction with the mouse, but that may be because some games run over 300+ fps on my pc and the number of frames being dropped at that point is significant. I usually use both and turn VSync off in all game menus since I use global VSync.

Also if you like low input lag, try a custom 1440x810 resolution at 240+ Hz. Literally zero input lag is noticeable to me. Plus with VSync on there isn't really any tearing, and playing some FPS games at 240hz is really fun. 1280x720 at 300+ Hz works too, but it drops enough frames to introduce a weird twitch sometimes.
I've seen the Frame Rate Target option in Precision but never used it. I use Precision to set a custom fan speed for my GPU. I'm going to try out the Frame Rate Target when I get home later. Thanks for the suggestions! Does Global Vsync (in Nvidia CCC) have any benefits over in game Vsync? Or is it just for convenience?

Last edited by Dennis McCarty; 08-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #9824 of 9834 Old 08-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Seriously?

Perhaps this is overly simplistic, but I see two possible options here

1) use an RCA-to-headphone jack adapter and utilize the the audio outputs on the back panel of the M series.

2) A number of AV receivers (but definitely not all) have headphone outputs. If you are using the ARC (Audio Return Channel of the HDMI connection) then whatever it being shown on the HDTV is being sent to the receiver via that route.
lotohnz likes this.
post #9825 of 9834 Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Seriously?

Try this bluetooth adapter:

http://telme2.com/introducing-the-tosblueX-unit.html

You can use either an optical cable or stereo cable. The "X" version allows you to pair one bluetooth headset, the "X2" two headsets.
post #9826 of 9834 Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis McCarty View Post
I've seen the Frame Rate Target option in Precision but never used it. I use Precision to set a custom fan speed for my GPU. I'm going to try out the Frame Rate Target when I get home later. Thanks for the suggestions! Does Global Vsync (in Nvidia CCC) have any benefits over in game Vsync? Or is it just for convenience?
Mostly convenience, but I've run into several games that either have VSync issues on their own (like it doesn't work even though its listed as a menu option, usually botched console ports), or have issues if they are set to on while global is also set to on at the same time. After about the 5th game that had issues I just always started switching it off in-game. But that was probably back around DX9. I don't know if there are still issues. Been a while since I had an ATI card but I imagine global works pretty much the same way in CCC. Come to think of it, I think its an option in RadeonPro if you've ever used it. Great little freeware utility. Actually been considering making a switch back to crossfire cards to do a 2x2 or 3x2 eyefinity projector array. Plus, imho, there's no real reason to only go with NVIDIA anymore, seeing as they've all but abandoned their 3D Vision stuff and their drivers releases of late (2-3 years) have just been a suicidal crapshoot.

I did read something on BlurBusters forum about in-game VSync theoretically having slightly less input lag over a global setting, but I think it was miniscule like 1ms or something similar. I'll post a link to it if you're interested.
post #9827 of 9834 Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Vizio M471i AVR Audio Dropout

I have a home theater set up as follows: Ethernet and router connected M471i-A2 TV, mounted over the fireplace, single HDMI link down to my Yamaha RX-V475 receiver. After the getting help from Vizio and Yamaha Tech Support, I have the ARC working. The issue is, when watching internet TV from Netflix, I get periodic and seemingly random drops (less than a second in duration and once every 5-15 seconds). The indication on the receiver is the Dolby Digital display message flickers at the same time as the audio audibly drops out. Just wondering if others in the community have run into this issue and if their is a fix or known workaround.
post #9828 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
If you have the firmware up to 1.09, you have seperate settings for 3D and 2D and if you have firmware after 1.09 you will utilize the same settings for 3D and 2D but I believe it adjust the brightness accordingly.

That said if you have not edited the settings for 3D on the firmware 1.09 and below you may have a darker brughtness setting.

I am going to hook up my meter to see how much the brightness is affected in the firmware after 1.25 I have 1.34.
I have a 50in.

I don't have the upgrade...i think I disabled the wifi cos of previous problems.

Is there a way to download the update on a usb and manually update?
post #9829 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheyman12 View Post
I have a 50in.

I don't have the upgrade...i think I disabled the wifi cos of previous problems.

Is there a way to download the update on a usb and manually update?
No, Vizio pushes the update from their servers to the sets. Not all sets receive the updates at the same time and it appears to be rather unpredictable when a given set will receive an update.

My 50 in. set initially came with the 1.25 firmware. It upgraded to 1.34 within a couple of hours from when I connected it (I use ethernet). A couple of weeks later it received another update, but that was a minor one, still in the 1.34 range.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages

Last edited by mhobart; 08-26-2014 at 06:30 AM.
post #9830 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Anyone hear any progress on the IP control front? Anyone ask Vizio about it (and get a reply) or anyone try to hack it? With the wifi remote there has to be an server port there, it would be great to shutdown the wifi and have the server port come up on the wired ethernet.
post #9831 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLane View Post
Anyone hear any progress on the IP control front? Anyone ask Vizio about it (and get a reply) or anyone try to hack it? With the wifi remote there has to be an server port there, it would be great to shutdown the wifi and have the server port come up on the wired ethernet.
Just curious, but what functionality would that give you?
post #9832 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM

I am looking for remote control over IP, power on, volume, input change, etc. Basically everything you can do on an IR remote. The purpose is to integrate control of my entire system into a single remote solution over IP. Right now I am using irule. My system has centralized video sources, so traditional IR control (like with a harmony) is somewhat problematic. I have the ability to distribute IR to each TV (via IP to IR converter) but I will really like to avoid this.
post #9833 of 9834 Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM

Anyone on a HTPC having 23.976 playback issues? I am now experiencing major stuttering on true 23.976 video. Never had a single issue before. I'm on firmware V1.34.28.1034_125 on the M651d-A2R on an NVIDIA gpu.
post #9834 of 9834 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktx49 View Post
My Settings:

Picture Mode:  GAME
-Backlight :     60
-Brightness:   45
-Contrast:       55
-Color:            41
-Tint:                -1
-Sharpness:   20

Color Temp:  CUSTOM
-Red Gain:         140
-Green Gain:     117
-Blue Gain:        130
-Red Offset:       131
-Green Offset:   129
-Blue Offset:      128

Advanced Picture
-Auto Brightness:   OFF
-Black Detail:         OFF
-Smart Dimming:   ON
-Smooth Motion:    OFF
-Reduce Signal:     OFF
-Reduce Block:      OFF
-Film Mode:            AUTO
my m501d-a2r color settings only go to 100, is there an update to this calibration??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page