Forum Jump: 
post #9901 of 10154 Old 10-06-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by clider View Post
I can't attach a .MOV or a ZIP as it's a little too big... the above link is Dropbox. I realize I am a new user... however, I'm a long time AVSForum member - just haven't been here in a long time and don't remember any of my previous login info. Sorry to admins for bypassing the link blocker - I'm just really really frustrated and I know what I am doing when it comes to setting up my gear. Is buying a Vizio TV like buying a boat? The best two days are the day you bring it home and the day you get rid of it?
Are all the motion enhancement options turned off (like they probably should be)? Are these the bands you're talking about?

Code:
i.imgur.com/JMytDku.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 10154 Old 10-07-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
What's going on fellas... I have been lurking for a few weeks or so hoping I could dig up someone with the same issue as mine. I have the M651d that I got from BB a month or two ago... it was OpenBox and 20% extra off and I couldn't say no. I'm not a Vizio fan, decidedly the other way around - everything in my house is Samsung.

Having said that, the TV looked great, the picture looked great (in the store) and I knew I could resell it for what I paid. Unfortunately, I am having terribly sub standard image quality issues.

I have Verizon Fios (HD package). I am running a Yamaha Aventage RX receiver, HDMI hookups on everything. My cable box is not split off and there are only the required minimum connections hooking everything up. The picture on this TV is the worst on any TV I have owned in a long time... including one of my first HD rear projectors from 2003. I don't know how to explain what is going on with the TV, so I recorded a video of me watching Godzilla (HD via FIOS). Obviously, the picture record quality via my Ipad is poor... HOWEVER... you can clearly see half way into the 10 second video, where the main character is standing by a window and moving around some - it looks like there are horizontal blinds going on/off on my TV. It does this for a lot of channels, including all the HD ones. I rented Transformers last week too... BluRay. It looked like a crappy 720 resolution version. Even my wife said something.

When the TV guide or any of the Vizio menus are on - the picture is immaculate, bright, crisp... when the channel is on, most of the time, it looks like dog ****. I have never been so dissatisfied with a television in my life and I am about to sell it at a loss to get it out of my room. Take a look at the link, tell me what you think. I reverted my settings to factory AFTER that. I had used some of CNETs and a few other forum members setting suggestions and nothing helps. It looks the least crappy on default.

https: // www . dropbox . com/s/v82njodgg82ps0d/Gozilla%20BluRay.MOV?dl=0

I have no problem taking ANY suggestions as far as settings are concerned. Firmware is updated naturally to current version. I'm using HDMI. High end receiver. I even plugged my cable box directly into the TV to bypass the receiver and got the same results.

HELP!
Hi. You might check to see that your cable box and /or receiver is outputting the correct resolution. For instance, my TiVo is my cable box (via a cablecard) and will output 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Needless to say that 480p looks fairly lame (and actually 720p looks better than 1080i). If your set looks ok with the menus or guide onscreen, my guess is either your cable box or receiver is stepping down the resolution at some point, and the TV is trying to resolve that conflict.
post #9903 of 10154 Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomial View Post
Are all the motion enhancement options turned off (like they probably should be)? Are these the bands you're talking about?

Code:
i.imgur.com/JMytDku.png
Yes. That's what I am talking about, it happens a lot. And yes, everything is on 'default' at this point. I can't remember which settings I used, but there were a handful that a lot of users recommended on here and I copied one or two of them.

And I just checked the cable box setting. It was on 1080i. So I changed that, but no way that's what caused it. The only thing that still concerns me is that I rented Transformers AoE on BluRay last week and half the movie looked like crap. I'm using a little older Samsung player (updated), but I can't see that being the issue - can you? TBH - I can't remember if Transformers was doing the 'blinds' thing, or if it was just grainy. I know for sure it was grainy because my wife pointed it out.

I just tried playing something off the DVR and while I can't always get the problem to recreate, it's still not entirely focused like it should be. Its as if certain scenes, especially with movement, have a hard time focusing on edges of bodies, door ways, windows... anything with a contrasting frame (if that makes sense).

But yes. The menus all look crisp as hell... any other suggestions or settings I should try? It's frustrating due to all the people who love this TV on this forum and my TV pisses me off.
post #9904 of 10154 Old 10-07-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. That's what I am talking about, it happens a lot. And yes, everything is on 'default' at this point. I can't
That's no good - the motion enhancement settings probably default to being turned on.

Those blinds I circled in red - my first thought was they looked like interlacing artifacts. 1080i = interlaced. Since it was filmed from your DVR that could easily be the problem.

Quote:
And I just checked the cable box setting. It was on 1080i. So I changed that, but no way that's what caused it. The only thing that still concerns me is that I rented Transformers AoE on BluRay last week and half the movie looked like crap. I'm using a little older Samsung player (updated), but I can't see that being the issue - can you? TBH - I can't remember if Transformers was doing the 'blinds' thing, or if it was just grainy. I know for sure it was grainy because my wife pointed it out.
Make sure you're outputting from your Blu-Ray player at 1080p. There's a very slim chance the player is outputting at a lower resolution and your TV is upscaling it.

Quote:
I just tried playing something off the DVR and while I can't always get the problem to recreate, it's still not entirely focused like it should be. Its as if certain scenes, especially with movement, have a hard time focusing on edges of bodies, door ways, windows... anything with a contrasting frame (if that makes sense).
I've never been happy with any kind of cable / satellite programming on any TV. Those sound like compression artifacts to me, which would appear in FiOS videos but not from your Blu-Ray player, a computer, Netflix (not in the same way), etc.

If you can get antenna programming (local sports, news, etc.), see how that looks. 99% of the time, the antenna picture quality is going to be superior to cable. Then you can know if it's Vizio's fault the picture quality looks so bad.
post #9905 of 10154 Old 10-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Could it be a pipe/bandwidth issue on Verizons end? My speeds are all over the place in regards to mbps down/up. One day its 25+, the next day, it's barely 4...

...I'll check the settings on the DVD player. It's four years or more old and I haven't touched anything, maybe it's been on a default setting that's of poor quality. I've watched Tron/Prometheus on the same DVD player and using the same Yamaha receiver with my 55" Samsung LCD and it looked amazing. I mean, crystal clear.

The ONLY thing that's different besides my TV, is the cable box was replaced with a 'newer' one around the same time... maybe a month earlier.

If I can't root out the problem via settings/disabling enhanced viewing mode - I'm going to ask for the box to be replaced, see if that helps.
post #9906 of 10154 Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 AM

Guys
I have a problem
After 9 month since I bought my vizio m551d-a2r, remote stopped working completely (
Tv is fine(no blue screen on startup or anything like this,must be just remote)
Whenever I put batteries in it it and push any button it lights up and stays that way forever! Backlight always on.
Is there anything I can try to make it work?(except power cycle)
How can I ask vizio to replace it?(can i? )
Anything I can replace it with?
Ps. What is the deal with direct-le-viziotv network that comes from tv and how can I use it?(can I turn it off?)

Last edited by pomutnenie; 10-08-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Addon
post #9907 of 10154 Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomutnenie View Post
Guys
I have a problem
After 9 month since I bought my vizio m551d-a2r, remote stopped working completely (
Whenever I put batteries in it it and push any button it lights up and stays that way forever! Backlight always on.
Ps. What is the deal with direct-le-viziotv network that comes from tv and how can I use it?(can I turn it off?)
When I bought my TV, my remote didn't work at all. I called Vizio and they sent me one without question... took a week to ship, but it was free.

Did you depress all of the buttons on the front of the remote? Sounds like maybe a button is stuck? I've had remotes do that and turned out to be a stuck button.
post #9908 of 10154 Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Exclamation

Quote:

...Remote stopped working completely.

It happens to me at times. Batteries are getting low. Try taking batteries out for a few minutes. Press and hold a button for 5 or 10 seconds while batteries are out. Otherwise, put in fresh batteries. If you did put in fresh batteries and still have the problem, then you have a problem I have not experienced.

I do not use the Wi-Fi mode.

I have yet to reach 60+ days on a set of fresh alkaline batteries.

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
post #9909 of 10154 Old 10-09-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Guys
I have a problem
I've had the same thing happened to me, and my M601D-A3R has been replaced 2 times under warranty. Vizio sent me a new remote, and it always disconnects. It says that it is sync for WiFi, but it isn't. I've always have to aim the remote to the lower left corner.

I've used Duracell, Energizer and Sanyo batteries. This remotes eats the batteries' power quickly. I've got to change batteries weekly. I'm very disappointed with the 2013 M Series model TV. I don't have any issues with the 2014 M-Series model I've got in the bedroom.

I've been trying to get some type of credit from Vizio so I can replace my 2013 M60 with a 2014 M60. I don't care about the 3D, I just want a TV that works.
rakstr and Rf13 like this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #9910 of 10154 Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Please keep us posted. I had to do a TV replacement because of a lightning strike. I've got a 40, 47, 65, and 70 inch 2013 M-Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
I've had the same thing happened to me, and my M601D-A3R has been replaced 2 times under warranty. Vizio sent me a new remote, and it always disconnects. It says that it is sync for WiFi, but it isn't. I've always have to aim the remote to the lower left corner.

I've used Duracell, Energizer and Sanyo batteries. This remotes eats the batteries' power quickly. I've got to change batteries weekly. I'm very disappointed with the 2013 M Series model TV. I don't have any issues with the 2014 M-Series model I've got in the bedroom.

I've been trying to get some type of credit from Vizio so I can replace my 2013 M60 with a 2014 M60. I don't care about the 3D, I just want a TV that works.
post #9911 of 10154 Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM

i don't know exactly what eventually helped
But i did two things
replaced the battery and pushed all the buttons (in case some were stuck)
i thinks it was the batteries
also i did a restore and paired remote(had a pop up message about software update) and now it works like never before
thanks everyone for help
post #9912 of 10154 Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
playing NHL 15 on PS4 on my vizio m701d-a3 and am seeing alot of choppiness.. Not liking it much.. just wondering what the latest game settings were for firmware V1.34.44.0090
post #9913 of 10154 Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have the Vizio m501d-a2r. I was wondering if anyone has a professional calibration setting for the new firmware update that utilizes the pro color tuner. 11 point white balance. Thank you in advance.
post #9914 of 10154 Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Please keep us posted. I had to do a TV replacement because of a lightning strike. I've got a 40, 47, 65, and 70 inch 2013 M-Series.
Vizio stated they won't give me a credit for it. I'm going to call Square Trade tomorrow and see what they offer.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9915 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantado View Post
Got a 50" VIZIO model no. M501d-A2R that just started having problem a couple of days ago. the TV have this 2 horizontal thin line in the bottom half of the screen which flicker and flashes all the time which make it very distracting to watch. called VIZIO and was told to send pictures and a 10sec video which i did yesterday. i have a square trade warranty but wanted to see vizios reply
I have the exact same issue as you posted here. Same model TV, as well. So far, I have contacted Vizio Customer Service to report and have sent photos and proof of purchase (this was yesterday).

What was your result? What would you have done differently in dealing with the warranty issue?
post #9916 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, as my luck would have it, my Razor M701d passed the one year old mark and a problem developed. I now have a horizontal black line about one third up from the bottom of the screen. The line extends perhaps 2/3 of the way across the screen then fades out. I convinced my dad and brother-in-law to pick up Vizios too and theirs are doing great. Short straw for me.

I'm in the DFW area and looks like I need a repair guy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	310178  

Last edited by jcraigcx; 10-13-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added picture...
post #9917 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigcx View Post
Well, as my luck would have it, my Razor M701d passed the one year old mark and a problem developed. I now have a horizontal black line about one third up from the bottom of the screen. The line extends perhaps 2/3 of the way across the screen then fades out. I convinced my dad and brother-in-law to pick up Vizios too and theirs are doing great. Short straw for me.

I have a similar issue, but apparently different issue. Have you tried to call Vizio? I have a horrible screen door effect on the right side of the screen. Almost like rows pixels went out.
post #9918 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

If you purchased from either Sams or Costco, don't forget you've got an extra year on the warranty. Also, check the extensions provided from the credit card you may have used.

If that fails, I had a small Company located near 1171/35E come diagnose a couple TVs after a lightning strike a year ago. I didn't have them do the repair as only refurb boards were available for these particular sets (not M-Series) and that meant the insurance paid for new but I'd be happy to share the info on the repair Company. PM me if you're interested and I'll look for their contact info.

However, if it's the panel, I doubt you want to "repair".
Quote:

lotohnz likes this.
post #9919 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
If you purchased from either Sams or Costco, don't forget you've got an extra year on the warranty. Also, check the extensions provided from the credit card you may have used.
Dude! You are a life saver. I was so disgusted that I haven't been thinking this through. I purchased from Costco and put it on AMEX. Now to figure out how to make a claim!

Thanks SO much.
post #9920 of 10154 Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.costco.com/concierge.html
Quote:
Dude! You are a life saver. I was so disgusted that I haven't been thinking this through. I purchased from Costco and put it on AMEX. Now to figure out how to make a claim!

Thanks SO much.
post #9921 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that fails, I had a small Company located near 1171/35E come diagnose a couple TVs after a lightning strike a year ago. I didn't have them do the repair as only refurb boards were available for these particular sets (not M-Series) and that meant the insurance paid for new but I'd be happy to share the info on the repair Company. PM me if you're interested and I'll look for their contact info.

However, if it's the panel, I doubt you want to "repair".

Sweet, turns out my credit card gives me one additional year. Anyone know how much red tape I'll need to go thru to get it fixed or replaced? lol I just opened a case with Vizio today and uploaded pic. Attached is a pic of what I see, basically horizontal lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image12.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	310698  
post #9922 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep so Vizio told me they will not replace it since it's 4 months past warranty, no exceptions. Onto the credit card company...
post #9923 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 08:06 AM

I called the Costco Concierge service last night to start a claim. They had me go through some standard troubleshooting that I had already done (power cycle, factory reset, different HDMI). Of course none of it worked, but I understand they have to follow the script. We got stuck when my serial number could not being found on whatever Vizio website they are using. They are going to call me back today...
post #9924 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I called the Costco Concierge service last night to start a claim. They had me go through some standard troubleshooting that I had already done (power cycle, factory reset, different HDMI). Of course none of it worked, but I understand they have to follow the script. We got stuck when my serial number could not being found on whatever Vizio website they are using. They are going to call me back today...

Cool, geeze, looks like your line is thicker and much less of them. Odd how it fades to the center which is what mine does too, the left side looks perfectly fine. At least I can tolerate it for now...
post #9925 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Had the exact same problem only mine had the line half way down (or up). The TV was 13 months old, but bought it at Costco, so was replaced by Vizio (under the Costco warranty) with a Refurb. So far no problems and the "new" TV only has very minor flashlighting in one corner.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Raul GS; 10-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
post #9926 of 10154 Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 78
man i guess when buying this set make sure you have an extended warranty. i didn't think vizio would give much of a hassle if your still within the one year mark.
post #9927 of 10154 Old 10-17-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I contacted Vizio and attained there authorized repair # for the company they use. Looks like it can't be repaired which is a bummer since I liked the 3D feature. Any recommendations for a replacement if I have to go that route?
post #9928 of 10154 Old 10-17-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post
Well I contacted Vizio and attained there authorized repair # for the company they use. Looks like it can't be repaired which is a bummer since I liked the 3D feature. Any recommendations for a replacement if I have to go that route?
Sharp! Anything that doesn't use Active 3D. That's if you want 3D. If not then Vizio's P 4K Series TV will be in stores next week.
rakstr likes this.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #9929 of 10154 Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 70" P-Series 4K's are already at Sam's Club in North Carolina for just under $2,500. I'm sure they are in other stores already too. Based on how the display set works, I am very jealous. Very even backlighting and it just looks better than my 2013 M-Series 70". Though the kids do like watching movies in 3D. I could care less, personally.
post #9930 of 10154 Old 10-19-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporster View Post
Doubt this is a complete list of changes but...

Chat transcript:
Visitor: Any way to get info on what was changed in the lastest firmware update?

M551d-A2R
V1.34.46.1166_125
Stormi: This update resolved some issues that your Netflix application may have been experiencing. It installed minor changes within the application. The other change within the firmware update prevents the TV from automatically powering on after a power surge.
Stormi: Do you have any other questions for me at this time?
Visitor: No, thanks.
Other changes beside the new Netflix app is the Web Videos app is now Hotlist - Web Videos (same as my Tivo box now, with a tiled UI I'm not real fond of though it seems more efficient overall), and a new Plex app, which is a popular media server. Not bad.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page