post #10111 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper99ta View Post
Yes - but I'm unclear what you are asking/meaning?
I think Laserjock is referring to the fact that those models are Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) and more than likely will see an improvement with the Active Zone/Local Dimming on. What exactly is wrong with your set after the firmware update? Is it messing that up for you too? If I had a FALD set I would leave the Active Zone function on for deeper blacks.

With edge-lit sets you have the conundrum... "deeper blacks" or "flashlighting" and now some are experiencing a sort of excess "bloom" effect. The bloom effect and Smart Dimming being set to on after a power cycle is the issue for is 2013 series edge-lit TV's.

What are you experincing with your 2014 FALD sets? Blooming could be the only logical thing I can think of as the Acitve Zone function being set to on after a power cycle (while if you set it to off and it comes back on it is broken) it should greatly improve your image quality. So is that what you are talking about or is it a colors being off, SOE, or cadence bug?

Are there any other issues? I want plan on discussing this with a contact at Vizio with a list of all known issues across all the sets with 1.60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My set since the update goes black in many scenes. I was scared last night when I started watching The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug as I've used the opening 15 minutes as a reference scene for a while so I've seen it probably 20x. I was scared because suddenly it was going black all over. I thought something was wrong with my TV or the Blue Ray player until I realized I had an update on Sunday and I started reading the AVS forums for similar complaints on 1.60 firmware.

I apologize as this is a mxx1i thread and I have a mxx2i FLAD. As rakstr pointed out people have tried to start model specific threads but they haven't taken off so I ended up posting here.

I will go home and play with settings as well as try the Spears and Munsil CD again and perhaps adjust gamma from default 1.8 to 2.1 or so.

Regardless, I think this firmware messed up the mxx2i models as well.

You asked what else is wrong. The picture quality is just not as good as it was prior to the update regardless of what picture mode I try. Colors are off.

Last edited by viper99ta; Yesterday at 08:53 AM. Reason: more issues explained
post #10113 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
My set since the update goes black in many scenes. I was scared last night when I started watching The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug as I've used the opening 15 minutes as a reference scene for a while so I've seen it probably 20x. I was scared because suddenly it was going black all over. I thought something was wrong with my TV or the Blue Ray player until I realized I had an update on Sunday and I started reading the AVS forums for similar complaints on 1.60 firmware.

I apologize as this is a mxx1i thread and I have a mxx2i FLAD. As rakstr pointed out people have tried to start model specific threads but they haven't taken off so I ended up posting here.

I will go home and play with settings as well as try the Spears and Munsil CD again and perhaps adjust gamma from default 1.8 to 2.1 or so.

Regardless, I think this firmware messed up the mxx2i models as well.

You asked what else is wrong. The picture quality is just not as good as it was prior to the update regardless of what picture mode I try. Colors are off.
That's odd about the colors, off how so? Are you using factory presets is so Calibrated and Calibrated Dark are your best bet. The rest have horrid issues.

Now on the "going black" what does this mean exactly? A very dark image or completely black?
post #10114 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

I'll go with Calibrated and play from there. I have the next two days off to do shopping etc. so I have some time to play.

On the black, it starts at the edges and comes in or just blacks out over a portion of the screen.

I'l take pics and post for comparison tonight/tomorrow. At work now.

Appreciate your help.
post #10115 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've found Calibrated Dark to be a great starting point!!!!

Quote:
I'll go with Calibrated and play from there. I have the next two days off to do shopping etc. so I have some time to play.

On the black, it starts at the edges and comes in or just blacks out over a portion of the screen.

I'l take pics and post for comparison tonight/tomorrow. At work now.

Appreciate your help.
post #10116 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Also for reference, the black is not happening on cable. It IS happening on the built in Netflix app and my Sony blue ray player. Odd as all 3 use the same picture mode.
post #10117 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Did you try saving your changes to a new custom profile?
Yep, saved as a new custom profile, but still have to toggle the Smart Dimming setting after each power cycle. Maybe I should just figure out a macro for my Harmony remote to do it for me. Vizio's response was to do a factory reset, and they closed the ticket. I haven't tried it yet, but from other posts, I'm pretty sure it won't work. Here's the thing, I showed my wife the issue, and she barely noticed, but to me it's obvious. I wonder if most people just don't notice that it's happening.

Side note, I have always issues with lip synch being slightly off even with adjustment (no soundbar, just internal speaker). At any rate, it seems to be fixed now. Has anyone else has the issue or noticed the improvement since the update? (at least one thing was fixed)
post #10118 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the M651D-A2R and received the 1.60 update recently. I have read through this thread and all of the issues but I must honestly say that I do not have a "smart dimming" setting anywhere in any of the menus. Is "smart dimming" the same as "active LED zones"? If so, why does every set not have the same settings, or why are they not called the same thing? I guess I am seriously confused by the convoluted postings. It should not be suprising to anyone that Vizio isn't paying any attention to this thread, as it is just a bunch of unrelated sounding posts and issues.

Without some sort of organization and standardization of information here, no one should expect them to even give it a thought. Just my thoughts...
post #10119 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by verncat05 View Post
I have the M651D-A2R and received the 1.60 update recently. I have read through this thread and all of the issues but I must honestly say that I do not have a "smart dimming" setting anywhere in any of the menus. Is "smart dimming" the same as "active LED zones"? If so, why does every set not have the same settings, or why are they not called the same thing? I guess I am seriously confused by the convoluted postings. It should not be suprising to anyone that Vizio isn't paying any attention to this thread, as it is just a bunch of unrelated sounding posts and issues.

Without some sort of organization and standardization of information here, no one should expect them to even give it a thought. Just my thoughts...

2013 M Series is an edge-lit LED set with Smart Dimming. 2014 M Series is Full Array Local Dimming with Active LED Zones. This is the thread for the 2013 M Series, thus the reason most refer to Smart Dimming. So yes, it is organized.
post #10120 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
I think Laserjock is referring to the fact that those models are Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) and more than likely will see an improvement with the Active Zone/Local Dimming on. What exactly is wrong with your set after the firmware update? Is it messing that up for you too? If I had a FALD set I would leave the Active Zone function on for deeper blacks.

With edge-lit sets you have the conundrum... "deeper blacks" or "flashlighting" and now some are experiencing a sort of excess "bloom" effect. The bloom effect and Smart Dimming being set to on after a power cycle is the issue for is 2013 series edge-lit TV's.

What are you experincing with your 2014 FALD sets? Blooming could be the only logical thing I can think of as the Acitve Zone function being set to on after a power cycle (while if you set it to off and it comes back on it is broken) it should greatly improve your image quality.
Yeah, just wanting people to realize they are in the 2013 thread an the 2014 sets are a different beast.

Bad coincidence that firmware is at the same rev level.

PS,
Thanks Playnice for posting new cal settings.
I'll give them a try later and see how they look.
post #10121 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
2013 M Series is an edge-lit LED set with Smart Dimming. 2014 M Series is Full Array Local Dimming with Active LED Zones. This is the thread for the 2013 M Series, thus the reason most refer to Smart Dimming. So yes, it is organized.
Umm, I guess I will type this again.

I have a 2013 Vizio 65", model M651d-A2r. I do not have a setting for "smart dimming". I do, however, have a setting for "active LED zones". Unless I somehow got a Vizio model that is mis-identified, which I think is highly unlikely as it was purchased in Feb of 2014, prior to the 2014 models coming out, then there is a disparity of information in this thread.

I am in the right thread. I do not, though, have a "smart dimming" setting and instead have an "active LED zones" setting.
post #10122 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by verncat05;300031w38

I have a 2013 Vizio 65", model M651d-A2r. I do not have a setting for "smart dimming". I do, however, have a setting for "active LED zones". Unless I somehow got a Vizio model that is mis-identified, which I think is highly unlikely as it was purchased in Feb of 2014, prior to the 2014 models coming out, then there is a disparity of information in this thread.

I am in the right thread. I do not, though, have a "smart dimming" setting and instead have an "active LED zones" setting.
Well, based on Vizio's manual, you should have a 'smart dimming' option in your menu based on page 23.

http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...M_M551dA2R.pdf

Since yours is a Full Array, maybe that setting was changed with a firmware update??

And as far as disparity....I dont see any. The terms are performing VERY similar functions (..but I could be corrected ) and it does appear at one point your model did have this. I hope that Vizo doesnt have a mindset like yours and ignore the issue....if they do, a future update could brick a lot of sets.

Last edited by netkrazed; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
post #10123 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Yes, I apologize. The root of the confusion is likely my fault, I have a newer 2014 M with Active LED Zones. However, its exhibiting the exact same problem as those with those in the 2013 M series. I posted here because of my own ignorance thinking they were the same and that I'm experiencing the same issue of the Smart Dimming/Active LED Zone parameter resetting to default on restart of the panel.

Its interesting that the problem is the same, even though we have different displays.
post #10124 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post
Well, based on Vizio's manual, you should have a 'smart dimming' option in your menu based on page 23.

http://www.vizio.com/documents/downl...M_M551dA2R.pdf

Since yours is a Full Array, maybe that setting was changed with a firmware update??

And as far as disparity....I dont see any. The terms are performing VERY similar functions (..but I could be corrected ) and it does appear at one point your model did have this. I hope that Vizo doesnt have a mindset like yours and ignore the issue....if they do, a future update could brick a lot of sets.
First, you linked to the 55" manual...Second, when exactly did I say that I had the mindset to ignore the issue? I was simply stating an observation. I have the 2013 model, yet I do not have that setting. I also understand that the terms perform very similar functions, but that is not the point. If one person claims they have an active LED zone issue, yet the next person states it's a smart dimming option and even someone else calls it something different, where is the uniformity? If people really expect Vizio to read through this thread and determine the problem, then it should read like everyone has the same exact problem, not ones that sound "similar" to each other. That is all I am trying to point out. There is a disparity in the way that the issue is being posted here. Sorry if pointing out that out ruffles feathers, but if the exact same terms and issue is not being describes, you cannot expect Vizio to recognize that from differing terms, as they already seem predisposed to not acknowledging the issue in the first place.
post #10125 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Halabicki View Post
Yes, I apologize. The root of the confusion is likely my fault, I have a newer 2014 M with Active LED Zones. However, its exhibiting the exact same problem as those with those in the 2013 M series. I posted here because of my own ignorance thinking they were the same and that I'm experiencing the same issue of the Smart Dimming/Active LED Zone parameter resetting to default on restart of the panel.

Its interesting that the problem is the same, even though we have different displays.
I am also part of the confusion, as I am supposed to have "smart dimming", since I have a 2013 M-series, yet my particular set does not, it has "active LED zones" instead. I do not understand how this is supposed to make sense at all if there is no continuity between like model numbers with the same firmware...
post #10126 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ummm..the manual is for m501d-a2, m551d-a2, AND m651d-a2. Which one do you state you have....on yeah, the m651d-a2. Before commenting, why not look at the doc, since it does cover three models.

And Vizio doesnt have to browse through the posts, just the last 2 pages or so....which include video and screenshots. No ruffled feathers, but you did say "Without some sort of organization and standardization of information here, no one should expect them to even give it a thought.", which aludes to being ignored.
waylo88 likes this.
post #10127 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my set m422i-b1 is being replaced by vizio because of the blemish issue.
post #10128 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

From my M651d-A2 purchased 11/22/2013 and still on 1.34
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	428082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	428090  
post #10129 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 78
my 55m is still on 1.34 and ive experienced the dimming and discoloration issues. all of these issues could stem from bugs or the software installing improperly, but also vizio should give owners the option to deny updates if they render your set unwatchable. i have the option to update my LG tv when updates become available if I Choose Vizio should do the same, or take responsibility for inconveniencing people.
rakstr, netkrazed and 98QueS-10s like this.
post #10130 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by verncat05 View Post

I also have the 2013 M651d-A2r with update V1.60 and I have Active LED Zones instead of Smart Dimming. The skin color on people are definitely looking grey or what they are saying clay color...So pissed had my set perfect and now it is all erased.
This is the 3D tv...Purchased from Costco and is not the FALD set!!!

Last edited by HAPPIOUR; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
post #10131 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPIOUR View Post
I also have the 2013 M651d-A2r with update V1.60 and I have Active LED Zones instead of Smart Dimming. The skin color on people are definitely looking grey or what they are saying clay color...So pissed had my set perfect and now it is all erased.
Let Vizio know! They have to fix this
netkrazed likes this.
post #10132 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

OK, what I showed a few posts back with my screen shots from my 1.34 firmware on my M651d-A2 and what someone else posted with the manual is that Active LED Zones is the right menu choice on the M651d-A2 (and probably the 50 and the 55 as well, if someone has access perhaps they could validate).

As the colors go (clay look), what have you done to re-calibrate after the firmware update? On the 40, 47, and 70, I had to re-calibrate colors after the update. I've documented this all documented over the past few days. I started with the Calibrated Dark, turned off all the "post processing" extras, and tuned it with the WOW disk.

BTW, I now see the "bleach" then fade to correct picture on my 70 if I look closely on a channel change. It takes 1-2 seconds and while it's different than it was, I'm not sure it's a bug. It's easiest to see when switching between stations showing talking heads. It's almost as though it may be some form of hysteresis to minimize sudden intensity changes and perhaps something to protect the lighting circuitry.

I'm trying to understand what the BUG is??? Now, when/if I ever get the 1.60 update on my 65, I may have a differing opinion but from what's been described, I'll bet you can recalibrate the colors.

Quote:
post #10133 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Quote:
OK, what I showed a few posts back with my screen shots from my 1.34 firmware on my M651d-A2 and what someone else posted with the manual is that Active LED Zones is the right menu choice on the M651d-A2 (and probably the 50 and the 55 as well, if someone has access perhaps they could validate).

As the colors go (clay look), what have you done to re-calibrate after the firmware update? On the 40, 47, and 70, I had to re-calibrate colors after the update. I've documented this all documented over the past few days. I started with the Calibrated Dark, turned off all the "post processing" extras, and tuned it with the WOW disk.

BTW, I now see the "bleach" then fade to correct picture on my 70 if I look closely on a channel change. It takes 1-2 seconds and while it's different than it was, I'm not sure it's a bug. It's easiest to see when switching between stations showing talking heads. It's almost as though it may be some form of hysteresis to minimize sudden intensity changes and perhaps something to protect the lighting circuitry.

I'm trying to understand what the BUG is??? Now, when/if I ever get the 1.60 update on my 65, I may have a differing opinion but from what's been described, I'll bet you can recalibrate the colors.
Just started trying to fix the picture again. Seems like I get alot of the clay look on the History channel. Like when I watch American Pickers. I will try my WOW disk when I get the chance, but I had my picture great off of someones calibration from here and just tweaked it a bit....but after 1.60 everything is gone and I need to start over It took me months of toying around with blue ray movies and regular hd tv channels to finally get a good picture and one freaking update takes it all away......watching American Pickers right now and it must just be the cameras they use. All other channels I watch the skin tones look ok.
post #10134 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I honestly think its a software issue, most of us brought our sets around the December 2013 frame and i had no issues until 1.34. the set is almost out of warranty and ill try to see what Vizio can do for me, but I'm not worried if they don't. Im looking to upgrade anyway and it will just be Vizio's loss if they don't make an attempt to make things right with everyone.
post #10135 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Ya, it definitely blows that you've got to re-calibrate but this is probably the 3rd firmware update that required a recalibration! Feel sorry for me, I've got 4 of these sets to re-adjust

I'm watching AHC "The Revolution" on one tuner and Ascension on SyFy on the other. Ascension looks bad on all the sets but I think that's the way it was shot. My niece will be here this weekend (college) and I'm sure I'll hear how bad things are

Quote:
Just started trying to fix the picture again. Seems like I get alot of the clay look on the History channel. Like when I watch American Pickers. I will try my WOW disk when I get the chance, but I had my picture great off of someones calibration from here and just tweaked it a bit....but after 1.60 everything is gone and I need to start over It took me months of toying around with blue ray movies and regular hd tv channels to finally get a good picture and one freaking update takes it all away......watching American Pickers right now and it must just be the cameras they use. All other channels I watch the skin tones look ok.
post #10136 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Ya, it definitely blows that you've got to re-calibrate but this is probably the 3rd firmware update that required a recalibration! Feel sorry for me, I've got 4 of these sets to re-adjust

I'm watching AHC "The Revolution" on one tuner and Ascension on SyFy on the other. Ascension looks bad on all the sets but I think that's the way it was shot. My niece will be here this weekend (college) and I'm sure I'll hear how bad things are
4!!! Ouch...Good luck my friend. Your niece will probably be to busy on her tablet to see what the tv picture looks like..just like my daughter LOL
post #10137 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not saying the firmware isn't impacting the behavior, just not seeing anything that can't be corrected (yet). I bought my 65/70 in November 2013 and my 40 in January 2014 so my sets are mostly the same age. BTW, if you bought from Sam's/Costco you've still got another year on the warranty! Didn't 1.34 bring the "extra calibration" features that EVERYONE cried for Careful what you ask for. Sometimes adding Lamborghini features to a Toyota isn't a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
I honestly think its a software issue, most of us brought our sets around the December 2013 frame and i had no issues until 1.34. the set is almost out of warranty and ill try to see what Vizio can do for me, but I'm not worried if they don't. Im looking to upgrade anyway and it will just be Vizio's loss if they don't make an attempt to make things right with everyone.

Last edited by rakstr; Yesterday at 08:18 PM.
post #10138 of 10140 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, first post here. I have the M701d and also had an issue with the picture "auto dimming" after the 1.60 update. After messing with my settings again and again I turned "smart dimming" on, then off again and the problem seemed to go away. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you. Thanks!
post #10139 of 10140 Old Today, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post
Ummm..the manual is for m501d-a2, m551d-a2, AND m651d-a2. Which one do you state you have....on yeah, the m651d-a2. Before commenting, why not look at the doc, since it does cover three models.

And Vizio doesnt have to browse through the posts, just the last 2 pages or so....which include video and screenshots. No ruffled feathers, but you did say "Without some sort of organization and standardization of information here, no one should expect them to even give it a thought.", which aludes to being ignored.
OK, so now that it's been shown by a few other people, on the current firmware as well as the previous one, that the manual incorrectly identifies the setting, just how would that manual have "shown me" anything that reflected the actual reality of the situation?

So, if they browsed just the last two pages, what would they think the problem is? Is it an "active LED zones" problem or is it a "smart dimming" problem? I'm sorry of you cannot see how that could be a problem for them, but just because you get it does not mean that a rep from Vizio who really could care less would. I will spell it out for you: the 2013 M series does not have active LED zones, but rather smart dimming, so if there are many of us that have a setting in our menu that is incorrectly labeled, while others have the correctly labeled setting. Hence the standardization of information.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page