Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 339 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just to validate, my M551d-A2R (purchased late 2013 from Best Buy) definitely has Smart Dimming. I tried a factory reset last night and still have the same issue. I have also gone through the calibration settings to my liking (for the most part), but still, after a power cycle the bleached out fade effect is still happening, although it's less noticeable after calibration. I have kept the ticket open with Vizio, so we'll see what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
OK, what I showed a few posts back with my screen shots from my 1.34 firmware on my M651d-A2 and what someone else posted with the manual is that Active LED Zones is the right menu choice on the M651d-A2 (and probably the 50 and the 55 as well, if someone has access perhaps they could validate).

As the colors go (clay look), what have you done to re-calibrate after the firmware update? On the 40, 47, and 70, I had to re-calibrate colors after the update. I've documented this all documented over the past few days. I started with the Calibrated Dark, turned off all the "post processing" extras, and tuned it with the WOW disk.

BTW, I now see the "bleach" then fade to correct picture on my 70 if I look closely on a channel change. It takes 1-2 seconds and while it's different than it was, I'm not sure it's a bug. It's easiest to see when switching between stations showing talking heads. It's almost as though it may be some form of hysteresis to minimize sudden intensity changes and perhaps something to protect the lighting circuitry.

I'm trying to understand what the BUG is??? Now, when/if I ever get the 1.60 update on my 65, I may have a differing opinion but from what's been described, I'll bet you can recalibrate the colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	System Info.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	428641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Dimming.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	428649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In post on June 22, 2014, Playnice listed his calibration settings for the color tuner and 11 point white balance. I have used these settings ever since and have found them to be excellent. I wonder if after the recent update and with the flesh tone issues that have have been noted in this thread, whether there are adjustments to these settings that might solve or at least ameliorate the the problem.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Hello all,

Just bought an M602i-B3 that should be arriving on Saturday. I've read back a few pages, should I bother updating to 1.6? firmware? It sounds like some people are having some issues but maybe there are fixes in there that are worth the hassle? Sorry, bit late to the scene as I've seen most of you had your TV's for quite a while.

Also, has anyone posted post-1.6 calibration settings that work for them? I'd use the Cnet ones but they may not work well now?

Look forward to hanging out
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisD87 View Post
Hello all,

Just bought an M602i-B3 that should be arriving on Saturday. I've read back a few pages, should I bother updating to 1.6? firmware? It sounds like some people are having some issues but maybe there are fixes in there that are worth the hassle? Sorry, bit late to the scene as I've seen most of you had your TV's for quite a while.

Also, has anyone posted post-1.6 calibration settings that work for them? I'd use the Cnet ones but they may not work well now?

Look forward to hanging out
Welcome,

Two things real quick. Visio gives the end user no control over firmware updates, short of not connecting to Internet.

And this thread is for the 2013 M series. A different thread exists for the 2014 model: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...2&goto=newpost
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdchance View Post
Welcome,

Two things real quick. Visio gives the end user no control over firmware updates, short of not connecting to Internet.

And this thread is for the 2013 M series. A different thread exists for the 2014 model: Removed link as I have less than 5 posts to quote it[/url]
Oh jeeze haha thank you for the point in the right direction!
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Liked: 63
I finally got time to make my service calls about these issues. First I called Costco concierge technical support. I had to run through the factory reset and power cycle protocols, which of course did not fix the issues. Costco can do nothing else beyond that. They are simply adding one more year to the manufacturers warranty. So they had me call Vizio next. Very pleasant experience. Because I had done the reset and power cycle with Costco, they did not have me do it again. But what was interesting is that it appears that my 1.6FW update did not load ALL of the latest settings. He said "smart dimming" should be gone from the menu and replaced with something like "active LED zones." This at least explains why some of us have different menus right now. Also, he had a 70 incher in their office. He went over to it and turned smart dimming off, turned the tv off, turned it back on, saw the SD showing off in the menu, turned SD on - then off, and saw what we see - that SD resets to always on after a power cycle. He even showed it to his supervisor. He was unable to demonstrate the extremely bright display for a few seconds after an input change or power cycle.

I am encouraged that they can actually duplicate the problem with SD there. But they said there is no way to go back to the old FW. And they could give no timetable for a new FW. So I am now waiting for a service call to come out and service my display. They may not have to actually open up the unit. Because it appears that the 1.6 did not load completely, they are hoping that they could fix it by just physically loading the new, complete FW. But if that does not fix it, I'm afraid they will have to crack open the TV. I'll keep you posted...
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Looking forward to the updates.

However, on my sets I have the following
  • 1.34 on M65 -> Active LED Zones
  • 1.60 on M40 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M47 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M70 -> Smart Dimming
I'm a little concerned about what he told you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post
He said "smart dimming" should be gone from the menu and replaced with something like "active LED zones." This at least explains why some of us have different menus right now.
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmine848 View Post
In post on June 22, 2014, Playnice listed his calibration settings for the color tuner and 11 point white balance. I have used these settings ever since and have found them to be excellent. I wonder if after the recent update and with the flesh tone issues that have have been noted in this thread, whether there are adjustments to these settings that might solve or at least ameliorate the the problem.
New settings are posted a few pages back.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Looking forward to the updates.

However, on my sets I have the following
  • 1.34 on M65 -> Active LED Zones
  • 1.60 on M40 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M47 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M70 -> Smart Dimming
I'm a little concerned about what he told you!

He was talking to his supervisor as he was talking to me. The supervisor noted that there were a few things on my menu that should not be there with FW 1.6. That leads them to believe that the entire FW update did not load, or loaded incorrectly. So that is why they are hopeful that a physical download from a tech may solve the problem. However, I'm not optimistic. Remember, he was able to duplicate the issue with SD on the set in their office. I didn't ask, but I would assume that set had a fully-loaded 1.6FW update...
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Again, I hope you are correct but it sounds like you're suggesting that all 3 of my 1.60 sets had download failure??????? OH, and all of them can have SD switched OFF without problem. It doesn't add up to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post
He was talking to his supervisor as he was talking to me. The supervisor noted that there were a few things on my menu that should not be there with FW 1.6. That leads them to believe that the entire FW update did not load, or loaded incorrectly. So that is why they are hopeful that a physical download from a tech may solve the problem. However, I'm not optimistic. Remember, he was able to duplicate the issue with SD on the set in their office. I didn't ask, but I would assume that set had a fully-loaded 1.6FW update...
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Again, I hope you are correct but it sounds like you're suggesting that all 3 of my 1.60 sets had download failure??????? OH, and all of them can have SD switched OFF without problem. It doesn't add up to me...
I think he is mistaken. IMO
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

Quote:

BTW, I now see the "bleach" then fade to correct picture on my 70 if I look closely on a channel change. It takes 1-2 seconds and while it's different than it was, I'm not sure it's a bug. It's easiest to see when switching between stations showing talking heads. It's almost as though it may be some form of hysteresis to minimize sudden intensity changes and perhaps something to protect the lighting circuitry.

I really hope that the FW did not fully install. I am really dreading the idea of having to open the unit up to change a motherboard or something like that.

In a previous post, I believe you said that these small Failures aren't that bad. (I apologize if it wasn't you.) But I disagree. I think I can live with the SD not being saved in the OFF position. For most content, I don't notice it THAT much. The bleaching issue is far more important, I believe. It is really noticeable when I pull up cable-box channel guides, and really noticeable during game play. And I am using Playnice's cal settings. (Thanks again Palynice!) Even my wife commented on the momentary bleaching. If the bleaching is doing something bad to the LED's, it may only be a matter of time before they start to fail or their circuitry starts to fail. It is far better to get this resolved while the display is under warranty.

Vizio said that my local repair company will call in 5-7 days to set up an appointment. So nothing is probably going to happen until after New Years. I will post with updates as they happen.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
UPDATE.... my repair guy just left and he's an independent contractor, not from Vizio. I have the 70". All he did was replaced the motherboard (same Rev1.1 - photo attached below - the green board). Looking at the model nbr on the board, appears Vizio uses the same board in the M701 and the M601. According to him, there is nothing new in the "new" MB, no extra memory etc. Its also the same Rev as the one he replaced. But it did have the old v1.34 firmware, so I'm back to the old working firmware. I told him I will be back to the same issue once they upgrade me to v1.60 unless I unplug internet. He's hoping that since my issue is logged, Vizio will not roll out v1.60 to me anymore. Hoping he's right but doubt it. But if it does, then I'll raise **** with Vizio for wasting my time and taking my TV apart for nothing. I'm also attaching photos of what the TV looks like inside. Pretty empty except for the 3 boards!

Pls post your repair experience once your technician arrives. Interested to see what other techs are saying. I'm in the PA area and the tech was from NJ, company called Indusys Technology, Inc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141218_170938.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	429673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141218_170430.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	429681  
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the update!

Vizio said the company that will call me is ITI. Maybe that is the same company (nationwide)? The tech also told me that they roll these firmware updates out in blocks of 10,000 - 20,000 displays at a time. It is possible that we were the first ones to get it.
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
New settings are posted a few pages back.
Thanks for that and forgive my ignorance but for the color tuner for red, green and blue I have five settings categories but your calibration only shows three.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klingon View Post
UPDATE.... my repair guy just left and he's an independent contractor, not from Vizio. I have the 70". All he did was replaced the motherboard (same Rev1.1 - photo attached below - the green board). Looking at the model nbr on the board, appears Vizio uses the same board in the M701 and the M601. According to him, there is nothing new in the "new" MB, no extra memory etc. Its also the same Rev as the one he replaced. But it did have the old v1.34 firmware, so I'm back to the old working firmware. I told him I will be back to the same issue once they upgrade me to v1.60 unless I unplug internet. He's hoping that since my issue is logged, Vizio will not roll out v1.60 to me anymore. Hoping he's right but doubt it. But if it does, then I'll raise **** with Vizio for wasting my time and taking my TV apart for nothing. I'm also attaching photos of what the TV looks like inside. Pretty empty except for the 3 boards!

Pls post your repair experience once your technician arrives. Interested to see what other techs are saying. I'm in the PA area and the tech was from NJ, company called Indusys Technology, Inc.
If I were you, I'd disconnect your TV from your internet connection ASAP.
Old Today, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick question all. Was curious tonight whay would happen if I told my Denon 4530 to push a 4k feed to it...well the m801d-a3 took and displayed it at 3840x2160 (UHD) are these panels able to display that. My pics below show all info on the video being at UHD res, two from the set, one from the denon. Anybody else seeing this....previously I believe no pic would be displayed, but it's been a while. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141219_022822_1418974202985.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	430521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_021825_1418974231476.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	430529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141219_022555_1418974285641.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	430537  
Old Today, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post
Quick question all. Was curious tonight whay would happen if I told my Denon 4530 to push a 4k feed to it...well the m801d-a3 took and displayed it at 3840x2160 (UHD) are these panels able to display that. My pics below show all info on the video being at UHD res, two from the set, one from the denon. Anybody else seeing this....previously I believe no pic would be displayed, but it's been a while. Thoughts?
The panel is indeed 1920 x 1080 but it accepts higher resolutions.
Old Today, 01:45 AM

Quote:
The panel is indeed 1920 x 1080 but it accepts higher resolutions.
Interesting that it shows that its displaying the 3840x2160. I think when I had 1.34 it wouldn't display anything. Anybody with 1.34 able to check that for me. Will it accept and display a 4k feed?
Old Today, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
If I were you, I'd disconnect your TV from your internet connection ASAP.
Thats what I've done for now. But this does not fix the issue. I was thinking perhaps I shld let it upgrade. Then I'll have more reason to escalate if the same thing happens when they push out another FW. Right now, Vizio seems to think changing the MB will fix the issue. Maybe I'll wait and see what happens to the others when the tech comes out and see if everyone's just getting the same Rev1.1 MB replacement.
Old Today, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a follow up even though I have a 2014 FALD. I was able to calibrate using Spears and Munsil to the point it looks great again.

I have to reset Active LED every time I turn it back on AND every time I change inputs AFTER it has been turned back on.

At least I have a workaround till they fix this.
Old Today, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

My Yamaha RX-A1020 will only output resolutions the panel "negotiates" so even if I ask for 4K it will only output 1080P (tried this on my M65 w/1.34, will try the M70 w/1.60 upstairs later). I also noticed the Frequency on your screen shot was 30. Not sure either are the same "family" panel as the M80 though.......

Quote:

Last edited by rakstr; Today at 06:08 AM.
Old Today, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper99ta View Post
Just a follow up even though I have a 2014 FALD. I was able to calibrate using Spears and Munsil to the point it looks great again.

I have to reset Active LED every time I turn it back on AND every time I change inputs AFTER it has been turned back on.

At least I have a workaround till they fix this.
Can you share? I can't quite get blues (looks too teal sometimes) and yellows right.
Old Today, 06:23 AM

Backlight 50
Brightness 49
Contrast 14
Color 23
Tint -3
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
Gamma 2.2

All settings off in Advanced

This is of course in a darkened room and I sit 14 ft. from the screen. I used the blue filter included with the DVD to get the settings.

I have not changed the color variables.
Old Today, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, that is VERY close to what I have on my M70 (2013 model) from using my WOW disk!!!

Quote:
Backlight 50
Brightness 49
Contrast 14
Color 23
Tint -3
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
Gamma 2.2

This is of course in a darkened room and I sit 14 ft. from the screen. I used the blue filter included with the DVD to get the settings.

Old Today, 08:21 AM

I tried several peoples color variables from avsforum on the TV and never liked them, went back to stock. Very cool the settings are close, kind of validates we are both seeing the same thing !
rakstr likes this.
Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Backlight 50
Brightness 49
Contrast 14
Color 23
Tint -3
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
Gamma 2.2

I've been using

Backlight 56
Brightness 51
Contrast 51
Color 54
Tint -1
Sharpness 20
Color temp Computer
Gamma 2.2

Its interesting we both use color temp computer. To me it the closest to "White"
Old Today, 01:06 PM

@rakstr

Thanks for checking, be interested to see what happens in the set with the new FW.
Old Today, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Interesting that it shows that its displaying the 3840x2160. I think when I had 1.34 it wouldn't display anything. Anybody with 1.34 able to check that for me. Will it accept and display a 4k feed?
With the 1.34 it did the same thing with my Test Pattern Generator but the panel is clearly 1920 x 1080.
Old Today, 07:45 PM

Quote:
With the 1.34 it did the same thing with my Test Pattern Generator but the panel is clearly 1920 x 1080.
Thanks for checking. Just reminded me of the workaround to get a 1080p pic on the 2006 Mits dlps, they were really 1080i, wobulated, and wouldnt take a 1080p source......unless you choose the source as pc and it would then display it.

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv