Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 340 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10171 of 10196 Old 12-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 92
So my local repair guy has the new board and says he has to install it by Monday or he has to ship it back!

This is so damn stupid ... why would Vizio even want to pay to have this done and pay for more hardware when ITS NOT a hardware issue and they know that.

I am not sure if I am going to tell him to return it and I will keep bugging Vizio for the correct fix or escalate this further somehow.

But knowing how long it takes for Vizio to release new firmware we could be waiting Many Many Months for an update knowing them.

I am VERY Pissed at Vizio for this and I think if they don;t make this right The "Correct" way I may be done with them.

They have descent CS overall and I guess they are doing something to put a bandaid on the problem but It is not the right way of doing it.

Plus so what ... I can't keep m TV connected to the net to use the apps anymore cause it may update again? (But I doubt they are stupid enough to be rolling out the 1.60 still).

I see an above member with his TV laying screen down on the ground opened up and I DO NOT want that done to my TV ... not good for the TV or screen.

Still not sure what to do yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 10196 Old 12-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
So my local repair guy has the new board and says he has to install it by Monday or he has to ship it back!

This is so damn stupid ... why would Vizio even want to pay to have this done and pay for more hardware when ITS NOT a hardware issue and they know that.

I am not sure if I am going to tell him to return it and I will keep bugging Vizio for the correct fix or escalate this further somehow.

But knowing how long it takes for Vizio to release new firmware we could be waiting Many Many Months for an update knowing them.

I am VERY Pissed at Vizio for this and I think if they don;t make this right The "Correct" way I may be done with them.

They have descent CS overall and I guess they are doing something to put a bandaid on the problem but It is not the right way of doing it.

Plus so what ... I can't keep m TV connected to the net to use the apps anymore cause it may update again? (But I doubt they are stupid enough to be rolling out the 1.60 still).

I see an above member with his TV laying screen down on the ground opened up and I DO NOT want that done to my TV ... not good for the TV or screen.

Exactly. My repair guy came. I did not let him replace the board. When i first bought the tv best buy came out to set it up. They laid it flat on the ground and broke the screen. They replaced it and i set it up my self with no problems. I'd rather wait for a firmware update instead of taking the chance of something else going wrong, but that's just me.......i can't believe they don't have the firmware available for download so we can reupload it via usb. Uh hello.
fr8doggr and netkrazed like this.
post #10173 of 10196 Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have two 2013 M series, a 50" on version 1.34 and a 60" on 1.60. Both show Smart Dimming and do not show the Active LED zones. The 60" on version 1.60 does indeed have the brightness problem which started with the upgrade. I also think the 60" picture quality on stock Calibrated setting seems worse than before and has never looked as good as the Calibration setting on the 50".

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #10174 of 10196 Old 12-21-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I'm not letting them open up my TV. It's 100% a firmware issue, no need for Vizio to spend money on replacement parts or service technicians. They just need to give us the ability to manually update or rollback firmwares like EVERY other company does with electronics. It's absurd that they hide firmware from their customers.

Right now, I'm content going in an changing SD every time I power on the TV. Mind you, I'm not happy about having to do it at all, but I'd rather deal with that than have a tech come out to replace my motherboard. I know I'm going to be waiting months for a fix though (assuming they even recognize the issue in the next firmware).

My experience with Vizio has been great up until now, but this is such a massive step backwards that I'm seriously considering not ever purchasing Vizio again.
fr8doggr, steve1022 and netkrazed like this.
post #10175 of 10196 Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm not letting them open up my TV. It's 100% a firmware issue, no need for Vizio to spend money on replacement parts or service technicians. They just need to give us the ability to manually update or rollback firmwares like EVERY other company does with electronics. It's absurd that they hide firmware from their customers.

Right now, I'm content going in an changing SD every time I power on the TV. Mind you, I'm not happy about having to do it at all, but I'd rather deal with that than have a tech come out to replace my motherboard. I know I'm going to be waiting months for a fix though (assuming they even recognize the issue in the next firmware).

My experience with Vizio has been great up until now, but this is such a massive step backwards that I'm seriously considering not ever purchasing Vizio again.
Right on. If they can't load this firmware up in a dark room and immediately see the issues, there is a HUGE problem with their QA. I too bragged about them as I previously saw them as bottom rung and wouldn't touch em.....my opinion may be tilting back too that.
post #10176 of 10196 Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1.60 Issues Model: Vizio 80" M801i-A3 Purchased: Nov. 2014

I posted the problems I began experiencing on the 80" thread but figured I would repost here. I'm happy to be corrected regarding reposting but feel that given that the problems are the same and seem to be caused by the same thing (firmware 1.60) that presenting them here would be beneficial.

(1) Blooming - I'm also suffering the blooming effect. I did not notice it prior to the 1.60. I would have noticed it given that I was watching for any unusual events since I recently purchased the TV and want to be satisfied with it. The effect is also quite dramatic and uncommon (it actually reminds me of when you first turn an older TV on).

(2) Vizio Remote WiFi Radio - Prior to 1.60, unpairing the remote would also turn off the Wifi Radio. After 1.60, the Vizio WiFi radio signal remains on.

(3) Picture Quality - Color Saturation Variability
I also believe that the picture color quality decreased after the 1.60 firmware. In particular, the handling of color saturation in TV programs is quite varied frequently falling into the "washed out" side of the color saturation spectrum. I use an HTPC to view both cable and stream videos. HD material streamed from my server look consistently fine. However, material from cable is quite variable and generally unappealing. I immediately noticed the more washed out look after the update (I am continuing to dial in the picture without success b/c the variability is just too large) whereas prior to the update there was consistency across most channels - a uniform consistency of solid color saturation vs. washed out. I still am not satisfied with the color on most channels no matter the material/resolution. Prior to 1.60 I was generally satisfied to the extent that I do not even recall saturation being an issue - in fact, I had no complaints about the TV other than the flashlighting of active dimming which I accepted as it was preferred to the lightbleeding I have on both sides (lightbleeding also being the nature of the beast so to some extent there is an "acceptable" range - I wasn't 100% satisfied with that but I didn't get so far as asking about lightbleed ranges before the more recent nastier 1.60 issues showed up).

In sum, I now have 4 problems caused by 1.60:
(1) Blooming
(2) Wifi radio for remote no longer turns off when you unpair the remote (it did prior to 1.60)
(3) Color saturation &/or picture handling variation
(4) Screen blanking (see next post - I separate it and provide it here with the caveat of the next post)

1.60 Issues Reported that I am NOT Experiencing
(1) Active LED Zones Resetting to On being set to Off. I tested this & do not suffer the problem.

I did a factory reset using the TV menu. This did not resolve any of the problems.

I will be reporting them to Vizio. I purchased my TV less than a month ago but do not feel exchanging it will accomplish anything at this time.

Last edited by chris431; 12-22-2014 at 01:20 AM.
post #10177 of 10196 Old 12-22-2014, 01:01 AM

Screen Blanking Issue*

My TV screen will go blank in the middle of programming. I am not 100% sure it is related to 1.60 but the frequency of the event certainly started around 1.60. In short, the picture goes black for less than a second in the middle of programming. It is not related to the handling of scene shifts (eg., during tv shows or a movie, there is often a 1 second black screen prior to switching to a different plot or a commercial) and occurs in the middle of active content of any color (I'm emphasizing this b/c it is 100% unrelated to the possible poor handling of blanking scenes, eg., micro blanking scenes that shouldn't occur but sometimes do due to poor transmission, etc). This occurs while watching cable, streaming videos as well as playing video games.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, was it post 1.60? Any suggestions on resolving this? Perhaps it's a source issue - the htpc is a common denominator in the blanking, I think - I do not recall seeing blanking while watching netflix and have not yet tested via a PS3. Alas, I've never experienced this with the htpc hooked up to the subject TV or any of the other 3 HTPC's I have hooked up to other TVs.

*Two pages back someone mentions there screen blacking out. Their description leads me to believe that what they are experiencing is a different issue than the "blanking" I am describing.
post #10178 of 10196 Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Looking forward to the updates.

However, on my sets I have the following
  • 1.34 on M65 -> Active LED Zones
  • 1.60 on M40 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M47 -> Smart Dimming
  • 1.60 on M70 -> Smart Dimming
I'm a little concerned about what he told you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
I think he is mistaken. IMO

The dimming feature on the menu of my Vizio 80" M801i-A3 updated to 1.60 states "Active LED Zones." See the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	options.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	434842  

Last edited by chris431; 12-22-2014 at 01:49 AM.
post #10179 of 10196 Old 12-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris431 View Post
The dimming feature on the menu of my Vizio 80" M801i-A3 updated to 1.60 states "Active LED Zones." See the attached picture.
My M801d-A3 has smart dimming with 1.60 guess that is one difference between the "d" vs "i" versions.
post #10180 of 10196 Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
And it gets more confusing!!! I thought I had posted the full model # of all my sets recently but didn't see it.

MY M651d-A2 on firmware 1.34 shows "Active LED Zones"!!!!

Quote:
My M801d-A3 has smart dimming with 1.60 guess that is one difference between the "d" vs "i" versions.
post #10181 of 10196 Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 33
Just when I think I have it worked out, the washing out problem comes back. If this doesn't get fixed in the next firmware, this is the last Vizio product for me.
waylo88 likes this.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #10182 of 10196 Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 608
My M60" is gone, and the P60 has been on the wall mount for 3 days.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #10183 of 10196 Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM

Liked: 0
Hello AVS folks new member here!

I currently own a Vizio M501d-A2R, Version 1.34 that I purchased a couple Black Fridays ago. I've been struggling to find the right calibration settings lately. I do a bunch of gaming, and also watch a bunch of blu rays, Netflix, and sports. I'm not getting that vivid and crisp picture that I'd like with blu rays and sports. I played around with the color tuner and 11 point white balance and its gotten better. Does anyone have, or can anyone link me to some calibration settings for my set as reference? Much appreciated!
post #10184 of 10196 Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poligreatest View Post
Hello AVS folks new member here!

I currently own a Vizio M501d-A2R, Version 1.34 that I purchased a couple Black Fridays ago. I've been struggling to find the right calibration settings lately. I do a bunch of gaming, and also watch a bunch of blu rays, Netflix, and sports. I'm not getting that vivid and crisp picture that I'd like with blu rays and sports. I played around with the color tuner and 11 point white balance and its gotten better. Does anyone have, or can anyone link me to some calibration settings for my set as reference? Much appreciated!
You shouldn't mess with the color tuner and 11 point white balance unless you have meters.

Look a few pages back for calibration settings and remember your image may vary.
post #10185 of 10196 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just had the tech guy from ITI come out this afternoon. He did not have a physical firmware update, as I was told by Vizio that he would have, to verify that my FW 1.6 had downloaded completely. The only thing he had was a new motherboard. So I decided to let him replace it. It was quick, with no problems. The new motherboard is one generation newer than my original one. It was loaded with FW 1.34. No problems with the smart dimming or the bleached out scenes when the display is turned on or switching inputs or channels. At this time I am happy to be back to where I was before. So I have disconnected my Ethernet cable so it does not update to the new FW 1.6. I have a long time on my warranty, so I am going to wait until they release a new FW, and see what the results are with that one. However, I am upset with the idea, in principle, that I have a product that is not functioning properly in all aspects with the new FW. But since I can use the apps from my BR Player, I think I will keep it disconnected for now. But I think this will be my last Vizio. There is no excuse for this.
post #10186 of 10196 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Been a while since I've checked in here. Tonight, I selected the tv settings menu for the first time in a long time and noticed a few changes and seems I got the 1.60 update. Not sure when it happened because the change my 70" wasn't great enough for me to notice... and I've noticed via picture degradation on every other update thus far.

Anyway, had to do some reading here to catch up and what's up with the new update. I haven't noticed the issue others are complaining about here. Part of it may be that I leave SD on anyway but I certainly haven't experience the washed out 2 second pictures others are posting about (I looked at your pics, mine is not doing that). All of my settings from the previous firmware were kept also. In previous updates though, that wouldn't have mattered as the same setpoints would not have been correct on the new firmware. But a quick run through with the calibration disk showed little difference this time. Before running the disk, I did a little reading up on the new gamma setting and figured it probably should be set to 2.2 (but I don't have a means to measure that to know for sure) and put it there and then ran through the AVSHD ringer. Only thing I changed was raising the contrast from 66 to 67.

I haven't tried to see if my SD will stick to 'off' since I like it on but I also do as rakster does and save all my settings to a custom input.
post #10187 of 10196 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Well, I've had my P60 for a little over a week now. There isn't much difference from my prior M60 PQ wise with Netflix or Hulu unless you find a 4K movie / tv show. Now, BD content I can notice a PQ difference. Colors are brighter and vibrant.

So, I got my M60 replaced by my P60 via warranty from Vizio. However, if you were to ask me if it is worth to pay more for the P60....I would say at the moment it wouldn't. Save money and buy a bigger TV for the same price as the P60.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #10188 of 10196 Old Today, 10:26 AM

Liked: 0
I Been playing with my m701d tv picture settings and one thing i am into is the black detail settings i usually jump from medium to high setting but in high it crush shadow but it gives a great punch to the image especially with the 2.4 gamma setting heres a picture of it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419787524153.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	445890  
post #10189 of 10196 Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I couldn't take the clouding and flashlighting the latest update (v1.60.10-004-0443_125, M551d-A2) brought with it, so I did a full factory reset. That fixed the clouding and flashlighting, and overall the picture is better with the new gamma control.

But the backlight (I use Smart Dimming) is still REALLY s l o w to react, taking almost a full 3 seconds to render a full black screen. This used to be an issue with one of the earliest firmware updates, though it wasn't quite this bad, and it was fixed rather quickly with the subsequent update. Hopefully that will be the case this time.
post #10190 of 10196 Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you were buying today would you buy an M801i-A3 over the P702ui-B3? I'm just not sure that 4k is coming soon enough to be worth it over the extra size...

Or is it even worth buying anything today?
post #10191 of 10196 Old Today, 02:24 PM

I would go size > resolution at the moment. Cable and satellite providers cant even distribute true 1080p yet. The countries current bandwidth infrastructure isn't equipped to handle 4K content distribution. It'll be awhile.
chris_fowler99 and bill875 like this.
post #10192 of 10196 Old Today, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxjunior8 View Post
I Been playing with my m701d tv picture settings and one thing i am into is the black detail settings i usually jump from medium to high setting but in high it crush shadow but it gives a great punch to the image especially with the 2.4 gamma setting heres a picture of it..
Those two settings turned all the way up crush blacks to hell, removing almost all detail in dark scenes. I can see bumping the gamma up one or two, but cranking it, along with black detail at high absolutely ruins an image.

To each their own though I guess.
post #10193 of 10196 Old Today, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_fowler99 View Post
If you were buying today would you buy an M801i-A3 over the P702ui-B3? I'm just not sure that 4k is coming soon enough to be worth it over the extra size...

Or is it even worth buying anything today?
I would go for the M801d-A3 for the size and the 3D feature (the "I" lacks the 3D but is the same otherwise). After I calibrated my M801d-A3 I came to the realization that for 4K I think maybe 85-90" where I will start to really need 4K.

And if you think you may not be into 3D at this size it's pretty freaking cool!!!
post #10194 of 10196 Old Today, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Those two settings turned all the way up crush blacks to hell, removing almost all detail in dark scenes. I can see bumping the gamma up one or two, but cranking it, along with black detail at high absolutely ruins an image.

To each their own though I guess.
So very true.
post #10195 of 10196 Old Today, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I would go for the M801d-A3 for the size and the 3D feature (the "I" lacks the 3D but is the same otherwise). After I calibrated my M801d-A3 I came to the realization that for 4K I think maybe 85-90" where I will start to really need 4K.

And if you think you may not be into 3D at this size it's pretty freaking cool!!!
Looks like the 'd' is pretty hard to find. Not making it anymore? You're right, though. Really haven't had any interest in home 3D. And adding another $500+ to the cost, after jumping up $500-1000 from the P70 to the M80 ('i') is starting to get a little pricey. But I'll have to see what I can find.
post #10196 of 10196 Old Today, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks like the 'd' is pretty hard to find. Not making it anymore? You're right, though. Really haven't had any interest in home 3D. And adding another $500+ to the cost, after jumping up $500-1000 from the P70 to the M80 ('i') is starting to get a little pricey. But I'll have to see what I can find.
I had no idea they are hard to find nowadays either way I would go with the 80". But the P series does have deeper blacks. Size vs PQ tough call.
post #10197 of 10196 Old Today, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
First movie in 3D tonight on the 80" and it was fantastic.

Both 80"ers went on sale for $500-$1k off about the same time.
When I got my "d" version it was $50 more, so a no brainer to me.

It went on sale for $500 off and Costco credited my CC.

I hit the "buy" button at the right time on this thing.

If you can find one for $3k or less is jump on it.

Good luck finding one.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page