Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 345 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #10321 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo88 View Post
Yeah, it's good to see they were smart enough to stop pushing 1.60, but now we just need to get on with the fix for people who were unfortunate enough to get it. I'm getting really tired of doing the settings dance on every single boot.
Ya It's Driving Me F'ING NUTS!!!

I am still not a happy camper with Vizio ... I know they are willing to "fix" the issue by replacing my MoBo ... but that's just BS in my opinion.

I have been waiting patiently here now and I think it may be time for to call again and stir the damn pot and piss some people off again.

Cause when the wife it nagging me about the TV sucking and having to go into settings EVERY SINGLE TIME we turn on the TV then I start getting pissed ... I hear it enough about other crap ... this one thing I shouldn't have to hear.

I have been a loyal Vizio customer for going on a decade now ... my whole house is full of Vizio ... But THIS by itself is Really Really making me think about looking elsewhere on my next 4K TV purchase.
steve1022 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
Ya It's Driving Me F'ING NUTS!!!

I am still not a happy camper with Vizio ... I know they are willing to "fix" the issue by replacing my MoBo ... but that's just BS in my opinion.

I have been waiting patiently here now and I think it may be time for to call again and stir the damn pot and piss some people off again.

Cause when the wife it nagging me about the TV sucking and having to go into settings EVERY SINGLE TIME we turn on the TV then I start getting pissed ... I hear it enough about other crap ... this one thing I shouldn't have to hear.

I have been a loyal Vizio customer for going on a decade now ... my whole house is full of Vizio ... But THIS by itself is Really Really making me think about looking elsewhere on my next 4K TV purchase.
That was one of the biggest issues I had. The wife and kids calling me at work that the TV isn't working right.
steve1022 likes this.
post #10323 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I made the call to Vizio Monday just to get my serial numbers and problem recorded. Got the MoBo replacement offer. Asked if they knew of a fix in the works and got the standard, we don't.

Decided I'd also call Costco Concierge. They called Vizio, stayed on line while I repeated the details. I told the lady at Vizio that it really made more sense for everyone to push out a fix if possible and then she stepped in it. She said only engineering could tell and at that moment the Costco person piped in, "can't you contact engineering". Well after the awkward silence, the Vizio person got cornered into committing to get answer from engineering by end of week.

Now I don't expect much but at least Costco is the one owed the explanation and I'm owed a call back with that explanation.

BTW - Vizio claimed they haven't had many calls on this issue and Costco said they didn't have anything in their knowledge base BUT their knowledge base is populated by Vizio. Vizio also claimed the replacement boards are NOT refurbs. Don't shoot the messenger!!!

Best I could do.....

I'm making a wild unsubstantiated guess here but I'm wondering if they didn't accidentally exceed something such as a memory limit or messed up a memory map in this last update which may be causing issues on certain sets and/or potentially even preventing a further update. I still can't believe there isn't a secret spit into the wind while standing on one foot method of updating firmware from the USB or a direct ad-hoc network connection instead of having to replace the mobo, unless of course they've really jacked up the firmware.
post #10324 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I made the call to Vizio Monday just to get my serial numbers and problem recorded. Got the MoBo replacement offer. Asked if they knew of a fix in the works and got the standard, we don't.

Decided I'd also call Costco Concierge. They called Vizio, stayed on line while I repeated the details. I told the lady at Vizio that it really made more sense for everyone to push out a fix if possible and then she stepped in it. She said only engineering could tell and at that moment the Costco person piped in, "can't you contact engineering". Well after the awkward silence, the Vizio person got cornered into committing to get answer from engineering by end of week.

Now I don't expect much but at least Costco is the one owed the explanation and I'm owed a call back with that explanation.

BTW - Vizio claimed they haven't had many calls on this issue and Costco said they didn't have anything in their knowledge base BUT their knowledge base is populated by Vizio. Vizio also claimed the replacement boards are NOT refurbs. Don't shoot the messenger!!!

Best I could do.....

I'm making a wild unsubstantiated guess here but I'm wondering if they didn't accidentally exceed something such as a memory limit or messed up a memory map in this last update which may be causing issues on certain sets and/or potentially even preventing a further update. I still can't believe there isn't a secret spit into the wind while standing on one foot method of updating firmware from the USB or a direct ad-hoc network connection instead of having to replace the mobo, unless of course they've really jacked up the firmware.
I've talked to 11 Vizio Customer Service employees, and 4 out of the 11 employees told me that they been getting a lot of complaints since the latest firmware was done. They also mentioned they do not know when the new firmware will be released.

I guess it depends on who you talked to. A tech is coming out in Thursday to replace the MOBO for my M42 being used in the master bedroom.
post #10325 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Like I said, don't shoot the messenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
I've talked to 11 Vizio Customer Service employees, and 4 out of the 11 employees told me that they been getting a lot of complaints since the latest firmware was done. They also mentioned they do not know when the new firmware will be released.

I guess it depends on who you talked to. A tech is coming out in Thursday to replace the MOBO for my M42 being used in the master bedroom.
post #10326 of 10350 Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
They have to know about it, according to a few posts here they seem to have stopped pushing out 1.60. No reason for them to do that if they didn't acknowledge there is a problem.

I'm just concerned about how long it's going to take for the update to get to the end user. Previous firmware updates haven't exactly been timely. All my updates (I think three so far; 1.9, 1.34, and 1.60) have had at least 3-5 months in-between them.
post #10327 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I've been following this thread for a long time, and I thought I'd share my experience with this latest 1.60 update on my M60 since I haven't seen this mentioned before.
Obviously, Vizio is aware of the problem, and I got offered to have the mother board replaced. I was assured that it would contain the latest 1.60 update on it. When the part came in, I tried to confirm it had the latest update, and the man at ITI said there is no way for him to know until he gets it into the TV. So I called Vizio to confirm again it would contain the latest update, and that they weren't just opening up my TV to roll the version back to 1.34. They couldn't confirm the software version, so I replied I'd rather not have the new motherboard installed. At that point another customer service guy got on the phone and said they are aware of the problem, and a fix for 1.60 is being rolled out, but how didn't know how fast the process would take. The interesting part is, he mentioned that even though the fix is being rolled out, there is no guarantee it will work because there may have been damage to the motherboard with the 1.60 rollout and these problems can't be undone. So, though it would have been cheaper for me to just wait for the fix for 1.60 to roll out, he recommended I should just get the board replaced so there will be no problems when the new update comes out.

I'm not familiar with how all this stuff works, or if damaging the motherboard with an update is feasible, but he did mention that these TV's are very sensitive, and is unlike updating software on a computer. Hope this all makes sense.
post #10328 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw30030 View Post
Hi, I've been following this thread for a long time, and I thought I'd share my experience with this latest 1.60 update on my M60 since I haven't seen this mentioned before.
Obviously, Vizio is aware of the problem, and I got offered to have the mother board replaced. I was assured that it would contain the latest 1.60 update on it. When the part came in, I tried to confirm it had the latest update, and the man at ITI said there is no way for him to know until he gets it into the TV. So I called Vizio to confirm again it would contain the latest update, and that they weren't just opening up my TV to roll the version back to 1.34. They couldn't confirm the software version, so I replied I'd rather not have the new motherboard installed. At that point another customer service guy got on the phone and said they are aware of the problem, and a fix for 1.60 is being rolled out, but how didn't know how fast the process would take. The interesting part is, he mentioned that even though the fix is being rolled out, there is no guarantee it will work because there may have been damage to the motherboard with the 1.60 rollout and these problems can't be undone. So, though it would have been cheaper for me to just wait for the fix for 1.60 to roll out, he recommended I should just get the board replaced so there will be no problems when the new update comes out.

I'm not familiar with how all this stuff works, or if damaging the motherboard with an update is feasible, but he did mention that these TV's are very sensitive, and is unlike updating software on a computer. Hope this all makes sense.
Just from my 10+ years of IT work, I am going to say FW damaging the MB is very very rare and I doubt that the FW rolled out actually damaged it. It would have to be a FW mod that caused a power surge or something like that to ruin the MB beyond repair. This one just seemed to be software and function related.

I would just wait for the new FW to roll out. Don't let them take apart your TV. Just sit back and things will be better soon.
post #10329 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

FW can cause application of the wrong voltage to the wrong place and given they probably use multiple suppliers with differing levels of QA and tolerances, it is plausible that only some MBs were damaged. PLAUSIBLE as Myth Busters would say. IF that is the case, I would feel a new TV and not a repair is in order. A) I did not request the firmware and in fact had no control over the installation B) Vizio owns the firmware C) Vizio forced the firmware on my set which damaged it. WHY should I have to accept a repair with a most probable refurb part with no extension of the warranty?

As to these TVs being more sensitive than "computers", please. Look at the MB designs and you can easily see which product is designed to tighter tolerances

Sounds like another partly true story/explanation. I doubt we'll ever know the truth. This whole mess and resulting "repair practice" sounds like the power supply hummmmmmmm on the gen 1 and early gen 2 sets. I had one set get multiple "repairs" and the problem never went away.

IMO, you can tell the severity and number of impacted customers by their repair strategy. If it really were just a few sets impacted, they would be sending refurb sets or new sets depending on the warranty status. I've had that process done a couple times. Given they are contracting people to go install refurb MBs, there are more than likely a LARGE VOLUME of sets impacted in this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Just from my 10+ years of IT work, I am going to say FW damaging the MB is very very rare and I doubt that the FW rolled out actually damaged it. It would have to be a FW mod that caused a power surge or something like that to ruin the MB beyond repair. This one just seemed to be software and function related.

I would just wait for the new FW to roll out. Don't let them take apart your TV. Just sit back and things will be better soon.
post #10330 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wondering if anyone else has expierenced this issue:

I have a M551d-a2. It is about 1 year 4 months old. It has always been a great tv then all of a sudden it started having sever issues with fast movements and quick color changes (i.e. dark scenes to very bright scenes, or even just opening the cable boxes tv guide-it takes a few seconds for it to adjust the color back to the correct one). Also when watching very dark scenes it is flashlighting very bad around the edges...it is almost like the leds are flashing in a swirl pattern.

Anyone have anything similar happen with this series?

Sony 55XBR850B (Returned)
Samsung 55HU8550
post #10331 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshughes View Post
Wondering if anyone else has expierenced this issue:

I have a M551d-a2. It is about 1 year 4 months old. It has always been a great tv then all of a sudden it started having sever issues with fast movements and quick color changes (i.e. dark scenes to very bright scenes, or even just opening the cable boxes tv guide-it takes a few seconds for it to adjust the color back to the correct one). Also when watching very dark scenes it is flashlighting very bad around the edges...it is almost like the leds are flashing in a swirl pattern.

Anyone have anything similar happen with this series?
Call Vizio. If it is still under warranty, they will change the MOBO. I had similar issues to yours with my M60, and it had some pixel issues as well. I had to video tape it and send it to Vizio. They replaced the MOBO, and thereafter the 1.60 firmware rolled out and I had similar issues as well with the PQ flashing. They ended up replacing mine M60 for a P60, which now is in a box waiting for the shipping company to pick it up for a full refund.

The P60 was a great TV, the PQ was good, but then it upgrade the firmware, and the TV started to flashing issues like the M60. Vizio wanted to replace the MOBO again, but I asked for a refund and they approved it. I've owned Vizio's TVs before, and this is the first time I've had issues with them. It is disappointing since the P-series are probably the best TV for the money.
post #10332 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Call Vizio. If it is still under warranty, they will change the MOBO. I had similar issues to yours with my M60, and it had some pixel issues as well. I had to video tape it and send it to Vizio. They replaced the MOBO, and thereafter the 1.60 firmware rolled out and I had similar issues as well with the PQ flashing. They ended up replacing mine M60 for a P60, which now is in a box waiting for the shipping company to pick it up for a full refund.

The P60 was a great TV, the PQ was good, but then it upgrade the firmware, and the TV started to flashing issues like the M60. Vizio wanted to replace the MOBO again, but I asked for a refund and they approved it. I've owned Vizio's TVs before, and this is the first time I've had issues with them. It is disappointing since the P-series are probably the best TV for the money.
It is worth my time to call them even though the warranty runs out after 1 year?

Would love to have it replaced with the P series! This TV is in my master bedroom. I have a Samsung 8550 in my living room and love the 4k content so it would be great to have 4k netflix in the bedroom too!

Sony 55XBR850B (Returned)
Samsung 55HU8550
post #10333 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshughes View Post
It is worth my time to call them even though the warranty runs out after 1 year?

Would love to have it replaced with the P series! This TV is in my master bedroom. I have a Samsung 8550 in my living room and love the 4k content so it would be great to have 4k netflix in the bedroom too!
It doesn't hurt to call and ask. Vizio's customer service is probably the best I've dealt with. They might be nice to you and fix it out of warranty. The P60 4K isn't as good as the Samsung, but for the money it isn't bad.
post #10334 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Vizio M401i-A3 Mold Green on Power-Up

My TV just started to show a Mold Green color on Power-Up. It goes away seconds later. I reported on this awhile back that I was seeing this, but for awhile, it was not doing this.

It now started again - - - just when I connected (wireless) back online.

Since late September, I had this TV online sporadically - and offline again, since discovering the 1.60xx issue here on the forum. All this time while the TV is 'offline', I did not see the 'color wash' on power-up.

Now
the 'color wash' has returned, since I put the TV back online via my wireless router. It did not appear right away. Perhaps some days after going back online. (It still shows I have Version 1.34.44.0080.)

Does anyone else have their strange color issue at power-up disappear when your TV is 'offline' from the InterNet?

Also, has anyone with V1.60xx done a Power Cycle since receiving that update? Does it 'fix' the problem? (Not just turning off/on the TV or a Factory Reset, but a true Power Cycle to clear memory. However, does a Factory Reset negate doing a Power Cycle?)

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 35.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
post #10335 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post

My TV just started to show a Mold Green color on Power-Up. It goes away seconds later. I reported on this awhile back that I was seeing this, but for awhile, it was not doing this.

It now started again - - - just when I connected (wireless) back online.

Since late September, I had this TV online sporadically - and offline again, since discovering the 1.60xx issue here on the forum. All this time while the TV is 'offline', I did not see the 'color wash' on power-up.

Now
the 'color wash' has returned, since I put the TV back online via my wireless router. It did not appear right away. Perhaps some days after going back online. (It still shows I have Version 1.34.44.0080.)

Does anyone else have their strange color issue at power-up disappear when your TV is 'offline' from the InterNet?

Also, has anyone with V1.60xx done a Power Cycle since receiving that update? Does it 'fix' the problem? (Not just turning off/on the TV or a Factory Reset, but a true Power Cycle to clear memory. However, does a Factory Reset negate doing a Power Cycle?)

If your TV still under warranty I would suggest for you to take video of the issue, save it, call Vizio and send it to them. Most likely Vizio will replace the MOBO.
post #10336 of 10350 Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattw30030 View Post

Actually, many modern day TVs are computers, just customized ones. Frequently (but I can't give any relative %) they are running custom versions of Linux :-) Occasionally that is indicated in the fine print of the user agreements (they may include the Open Software License).
rakstr likes this.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #10337 of 10350 Old 02-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 80" 3D version and today I started getting issues. After turning it on, it shut of wishing 5 sec on its own, then it was 30 sec, then sometimes 5 min or even 10 min, but I have not been able tow watch tv at all. it will not stay on.

Has anyone had this issue? the version is 1.60.10

I bought it through costco and is under warranty so wondering if I could get it replaced or get my money back.
post #10338 of 10350 Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I have the 80" 3D version and today I started getting issues. After turning it on, it shut of wishing 5 sec on its own, then it was 30 sec, then sometimes 5 min or even 10 min, but I have not been able tow watch tv at all. it will not stay on.

I bought it through costco and is under warranty so wondering if I could get it replaced or get my money back.
If you call Vizio, they will replace it with a refurbished unit. If you take it back to Cosco you can get exchange it for a new unit or get a refund.
post #10339 of 10350 Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Only within 90 days! Remember, that the penance from abuse 5 or 6 years ago
Quote:
If you call Vizio, they will replace it with a refurbished unit. If you take it back to Cosco you can get exchange it for a new unit or get a refund.
post #10340 of 10350 Old 02-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

That is not a common problem and probably has a power supply going bad. I'd get it replaced by Costco.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
post #10341 of 10350 Old 02-20-2015, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It WAS a good set...

Well, now being on my third set and this one having major light bleed, I am returning it and Vizio is refunding my full purchase price.(first one purchased at costco in July 2013) Sucks they couldn't me a working unit. The rep I have been dealing with says they have NO NEW units or REFURBS. They can only offer the refund or the i version of the 80". Couldn't let go of the 3d...and not too many passive 80s out there. I must say though that Vizio CS is one of the best I have dealt with....wish I could say the same about their hardware and firmware deployment
GusGus748s likes this.
post #10342 of 10350 Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netkrazed View Post
Well, now being on my third set and this one having major light bleed, I am returning it and Vizio is refunding my full purchase price.(first one purchased at costco in July 2013) Sucks they couldn't me a working unit. The rep I have been dealing with says they have NO NEW units or REFURBS. They can only offer the refund or the i version of the 80". Couldn't let go of the 3d...and not too many passive 80s out there. I must say though that Vizio CS is one of the best I have dealt with....wish I could say the same about their hardware and firmware deployment
I agree. Vizio's customer service was excellent. However, the people they use for pick up / delivery aren't as good. I'm still waiting on my refund! I hope Vizio resolves the issues with their M and P series.
post #10343 of 10350 Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

CostCo has the M70 for $1499.99 if anyone is interested. Also BB will price match.

70" Vizio M702i-B3 - $1,499.99
http://www.costco.com/Vizio-70%22...27595.html
Amazon has it for $1483 ($1599 - $100 for prime members and 2% rewards back) and free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M702i...B00KGOH882
post #10344 of 10350 Old 02-27-2015, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everybody !!

Looks like I'm part of the "Last in line" of us "Vizio M651d-A2R" Owners. I don't know about the rest of you, But I really didn't know much about flat panel technology till after I bought my (this) first model. It was a slightly banged up end of 2014 clearance item to make way for the P series. Out of the box I had it factory exchanged for a pixel issue, So in the past 3 months I've owned 2 (laughs).....I've read everyone seems to be having Firmware problems, SOOO I have feedback to give. My first unit had "Version V1.06.6.1136" apparently early 2013 stock. That menu had "Local Dimming" listed in the settings, Although I don't remember seeing as much or if any "Flashlighting or Blooming" effect. I now have on the replacement unit that came with "Version V1.25.24.0234_125". This menu shows "Active LED Zones" has replaced the previous mentioned local dimming. My menu does not include "Clear Action, Game Low Latency or Gamma" and the "Picture Size & Picture Position" are 2 separate buttons.
I'm guessing (from the last few pages I've read here), Were all added in the Firmware Version "1.60.10" What exact model/s have had that push?? I have not yet been able to update my unit and am debating it's feasibility. From what I read on other "Rtings" type sites that claim to have tested the 2014 model (without 3D), They are also saying basicly the "Flashlighting / Blooming" issues are normal for all "edge lit" TV's...The Local Dimming SUX on all of them and I'm beating a dead horse.... SO WHO DO I BELIEVE??
post #10345 of 10350 Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyElouPeS View Post
I have not yet been able to update my unit and am debating it's feasibility.
The firmware updates are pushed automatically by Vizio so no way for you to update the unit manually. It appears Vizio has stopped pushing out FW 1.60 but the only sure fire way to keep from getting it is to disconnect the unit from the internet. If you don't have 1.60...you don't want it...so if you use the smart apps you're in a catch-22.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #10346 of 10350 Old 02-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Yes Darth,
I'm aware how the updates are pushed. I meant to say "I haven't been able to connect to the internet, without having to move it from it's current location". I empathize with the fact Vizio doesn't allow the acceptance or denial of these updates, Unlike other smart media devices, Computers, Phones, That ask the user first.
I've also contacted the Vizio support center and was given no disclosure of what has been (or will be) Updated, fixed or changed by a new firmware update. The previously posted idea that "This is part of the marketing agreement with the "smart app" sponsorship", Is very plausible to me.

My example rant and only issue with the screen (as mentioned to the model I have) Is with the menu change from "Local Dimming" to "Active LED Zones" This is either an updated play on words or (in my belief) Caused by a universal firmware update to both the 2013 & 2014 "M" series models that use different backlighting technology. I've read the Razor model I have "Mxxx-A" uses an edge lit backlight and the newer "Mxxx-B" has a full array backlight. In my mind this could explain why my renamed local dimming feature no longer works as it should.... I'd like someone to clarify that....... I'm also disappointed that in a pitch black room, I'm not able to lower the backlight to closer to near zero brightness, To eliminate or at least lower the clouding effect on a totally black backround.

Sorry, But I still haven't read all the older posts explaining in detail what the firmware updates have done to your own models, or consistently what I should expect to find if I do connect my device.
post #10347 of 10350 Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM

After reading the last 30 back pages, I feel redundancy in what I have written (Vizio M651d-A2R, ver.V1.25.24.0234_125). and should revise my post. I just did a quick self test on my tv by connecting a laptop running the "ribbons" screen saver to compare the findings in the posted video claiming the "active zones"(SD) would only work if cycled on and off . I noticed my entire screen darkens with Active ON and that portion of the screen remains dark only for a few seconds after illuminations from the screen saver have passed. It then slowly returns to showing blacklight bleed thru (clouding) in that area. This bleed thru remains evident with the Active OFF. I'm not sure if that is how it is intended to work, But it is doing something. Is that at all similar to ver. 1.34 or higher?
post #10348 of 10350 Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a M501D-A2R since December 2013. It's been great up until recently. The firmware is still on 1.34. I'm looking for some help in diagnosing the current issue.

There is always a small horizontal line about three inches from the top of the screen that is always present. Every five seconds the screen moves and collapses onto that line. While the picture is moved up a line appears on the bottom of the screen. After a few seconds the screen pops back down and the line on the bottom goes away but the line at the top remains.

So my question is what might be the cause. Are we talking the main board, T con, or panel?
post #10349 of 10350 Old Today, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDoxie View Post
The firmware updates are pushed automatically by Vizio so no way for you to update the unit manually. It appears Vizio has stopped pushing out FW 1.60 but the only sure fire way to keep from getting it is to disconnect the unit from the internet. If you don't have 1.60...you don't want it...so if you use the smart apps you're in a catch-22.
I got lucky & had my router go belly up around christmas. I replaced the router but never got around to reconnecting my M551D-A2. Based on what I see here I won't until I hear any updates are safe but 1 work around if you use the apps is get a blu ray player with the apps & use them through it.
post #10350 of 10350 Old Today, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
I got lucky & had my router go belly up around christmas. I replaced the router but never got around to reconnecting my M551D-A2. Based on what I see here I won't until I hear any updates are safe but 1 work around if you use the apps is get a blu ray player with the apps & use them through it.
Or a Roku, or a FireTV, or an AppleTV, etc...

Literally any other option is better than the built-in apps on the TV which run pretty damn slow. Once I get the updated firmware to rid me of this awful 1.60, I'm disconnecting my TV from the internet and never looking back.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread