Forum Jump: 
post #1081 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool360 View Post

What's this update procedure? Mine is still on 1.02. I've tried powering off as well as disconnecting from Internet and service mode, anything I'm missing? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy25 View Post

It was documented a few pages back. Off the top of my head, there was an option in system info that needed to say yes. Mine was by default. Then go into the rest menu and make sure service check it's set to yes. Pull the plug and plug it back in to power cycle. Then sometime over the next while it will update.

Mine happened sometime between 9pm last night and 3pm today EST.

Just to be clear, you need to make sure the REG under UTV in the System Information is set to YES. This is relating to you having registered the TV during setup.

Then you do a Service Check. 1 rep told me you had to turn off the TV and then back on, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

You do need to leave TV plugged in (do not unplug it....), and either connected WIFI or ethernet to the internet.

I was told firmware updates roll out in batches over 30 days to different serial number blocks.

I was also told that irregardless of hitting the Service Check to Yes, your TV checks for firmware updates while turned off every so often.
Gridlocked likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigum View Post

You may want to read the last 20 pages or so of this thread.
The remote will be updated to use the wifi soon.
I programmed my logitec to the tv and it works flawless.
But theres some good info in the last 20 pages or so.

Ha! Yes, I had a feeling when I was typing in my comments late last night (after a couple of pints of cider) that this issue was somehow familiar to me. Oh well, further confirmation that it is a problem. I look forward to a fix. In the meantime, I have an older Harmony remote lying around someplace. I'll try using that instead.
post #1083 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

These have only been out a couple of weeks and the prices are dropping quick.. Get it at Costco or Sams and then u have 90 days of price matching

I believe that you only have 30 days to get a credit for your purchase otherwise you need to physically return the product. Big hassle with a large TV.
post #1084 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 12
60 and 70 inch IN STOCK on amazon! Woohoo!

(Yes, I have been freakishly checking amazon all day!)
post #1085 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Thanks Rick. i wonder if we will be getting the updated app setup the new M's have and Vizeo dont treat us like we have some kind of ancient tech here, that just wouldn't be right. So, besides the few cosmetic differences, there isn't any big internal specs to justify a jump to the new M series then?. I use the harmony one also and it works great, but there is one issue and that is with turning th tv on from a cold start. Powering on the harmony, tv fires up, then avr, which goes to the correct input, there is sound, then tv finally boots to screen then the tv changes the avr input so i then need to hit help for it to switch again. I tried to change the timing on the harmony, yet i haven't been able to figure it out. Do you have the same scenario?... If so, what did you do to correct that.

Anyways, I hope M dont treat this model like a fossil, get us the updated app etc.

Thanks Rick for your reply.

I think that the specs might show a higher Dynamic Contrast ratio 10M:1 vs 1M:1. As far as the app interface, I'm not sure it has been implemented on the 2013 models yet either.

For my Harmony (650), I had to set the power on delay using a button on the remote. Maybe the HELP button? other than that, it turns on TV, SAT, RCVR and sets input on RCVR, then changes input on the TV. I don't have any issues with TV changing the input on the RCVR a second time.

Thank!
Rick
post #1086 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 05:34 PM

A new email from Amazon! Status in account now says shipping Monday.

Hello,

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"VIZIO M701d-A3R 70-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED HDTV"
Previous estimated arrival date: July 05, 2013 - July 25, 2013
New estimated arrival date: June 13, 2013 - June 17, 2013

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:
erik1975 likes this.
post #1087 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 13
The Vizio M651d-A2R is not listed in the Harmony Remote database yet. I've not had much luck learning some of the commands. What device profile is everyone using to control the M series with their Harmony?

Epson 8350 1080p ..:.. 124" WilsonArt DW screen
Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver
Lenovo HTPC ..:.. 1TB storage InfiniTV4 tuner
Xbox 360s extender, PS3 Blu-Ray player
Controlled by a Harmony One remote
post #1088 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I believe that you only have 30 days to get a credit for your purchase otherwise you need to physically return the product. Big hassle with a large TV.

60 days to get a credit back ... but Trust Me ... they will give you back a credit within 90 days ... they Do Not want you returning the TV and buying a new one and they will 99% of the time not give you any hassle if you tell them you want your credit.

Now I'm speaking for Costco ... Sams is a different story, those underpaid are pissy people are most of the time not customer service oriented so it may be a bit tougher there.
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #1089 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:

What's this update procedure? Mine is still on 1.02. I've tried powering off as well as disconnecting from Internet and service mode, anything I'm missing? Thanks

Patience? (j/k) Apparently Vizio is doing this by blocks of serial numbers. If true, you're going to have to wait until your number comes up.
post #1090 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Review on Amazon for the 65" with some settings

Wasn't to happy to see him say in the Cons that it has a bit of the "Dirty Screen Effect" .... that is what I have on my E-Series and I HATE it. I don't want Banding, DSE or Halo/Ghosting effect. Hopefully is 70" is free of all this.

Anyway here is the review and it also has some settings so I know we all like seeing that.

Pro's
Clear, snappy, bright, wide-color picture
Excellent white field uniformity
Excellent clarity - sharpness processing is refined
Good text legibility as computer monitor
Heavy/solid construction
Thin frame makes photographs look like a window in darkened room
Very energy efficient
Contrast 7600:1 measured
Excellent motion resolution with three settings
Relatively wide viewing angle
Bright 3D with lightweight glasses
Bright white was factory calibrated to 6500K standard in Dark Room mode
Good value - if reliable

Cons
----
Benefited from automated color calibration. Will share measured and calculated Windows profile
Mediocre black field uniformity. Smart Dimming causes horizontal haloing in dark areas easily visible in dark room. Only four bands of edge "local dimming". To observe unplug HDMI cable and notice adjacent sides to "No Signal" box in darkened room. Only an issue with dark movies viewing at nighttime.
Slight dirty screen effect
Black lines with passive 3D
Ethernet port exhibits substandard fit and finish. Considerable difficulty disconnecting
Firmware updates are at Vizio convenience and cannot be downloaded when requested. It's hit or miss.
In a high-end system, best quality achieved with a passive (non Redmere) HDMI shielded cable

Calibration Settings - use with computer color profile (see comments section)
Picture Mode - Calibrated Dark
Backlight 52
Brightness 50
Contrast 59
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 25
Color Temp - Normal (use factory defaults)
Black Detail Off
Meter - i1Display Pro w/ 1.42 software X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro
Note: white balance was exactly at 6500k in factory "Calibrated" Mode
Best used with calibrated Windows Image Color Management .icm profile.
post #1091 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone else get a green screen sometimes (twice in 5 days) when turning the tv on? It just stays green, until you turn it off and then back on? I have the M501D-A2R. Other than that (and the known firmware issues), the tv has been great.
post #1092 of 10180 Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 PM

Return it! I had that problem, but on a much more frequent basis years ago when I bought a refiurbished Vizio model. However, if I remember correctly that is how the problem initially started. They repaired it under warranty, and I haven't seen the problem since. If you can still return it to get a replacement do it.
post #1093 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

60 days to get a credit back ... but Trust Me ... they will give you back a credit within 90 days ... they Do Not want you returning the TV and buying a new one and they will 99% of the time not give you any hassle if you tell them you want your credit.

Now I'm speaking for Costco ... Sams is a different story, those underpaid are pissy people are most of the time not customer service oriented so it may be a bit tougher there.

That is not the story I am getting. I called on Friday about getting the sale price of my Vizio sound-bar that I purchased a couple of weeks ago and the customer service rep told me I have 30 days from the date of the receipt to get a credit. I am new to Costco but that is what I was told. No matter because I am going there next week and I am well withing the 30 day window, but i will ask again just for future reference. The 90 day return policy and the low price policy should be the same unless they like to get a bunch of used items back.
post #1094 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 08:52 AM

I just picked up the 55in yesterday. This is my first led tv coming over from plasma. Can someone with some experience with this tv let me know your settings. I like the tv so far and will calibrate it in the future but wanted to try and optimize the picture quickly. Thanks
post #1095 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the M651 hooked up to an Onkyo NR609 receiver with ARC and CEC enabled. I power on the TV and the receiver, and sometimes the TV power light will just cycle on and off a few times while the receiver is changing modes or something. Eventually, then both just stop and the TV remains off. I have to disconnect the HDMI cable to get the TV to turn on, then reconnect and everything works fine. There aren't many settings on either the TV or the receiver to play with; so not much I can do on that end. Maybe CEC/ARC technology is just not well refined yet, and simply won't work properly on some component combinations. Anyone else having good/bad experience using these with your TV?
post #1096 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by niez57 View Post

I just picked up the 55in yesterday. This is my first led tv coming over from plasma. Can someone with some experience with this tv let me know your settings. I like the tv so far and will calibrate it in the future but wanted to try and optimize the picture quickly. Thanks
Here are my settings:
Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto
Chris231 likes this.
post #1097 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URPREY View Post

The Vizio M651d-A2R is not listed in the Harmony Remote database yet. I've not had much luck learning some of the commands. What device profile is everyone using to control the M series with their Harmony?

I have the 2012 Model M3D651SV. I use that model number for my Harmony. However, I don't know if it will work with these 2013 models since the remotes are different.

Rick
post #1098 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Do these sets have dual band wifi or just 2.4ghz?
post #1099 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 02:10 PM

The wifi in this tv picks up my 2.4ghz signal only. It does not even show the 5ghz signal from my router.
TheChadd likes this.
post #1100 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

Patience? (j/k) Apparently Vizio is doing this by blocks of serial numbers. If true, you're going to have to wait until your number comes up.

I had tried the recommended procedure for updating the firmware several times, with no success. Seems it will come when Vizio sends it out, as I turned our M551d on this evening and there was a message on the screen telling me it was updating.
post #1101 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Here are my settings:
Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto

I've had my Vizio M551d for almost three weeks now. At first I was disappointed with the set, but when I used the suggested settings from Dr. Shankenstein, things improved dramatically. ' Received my firmware update and am happy with the set, except...I still have issues with the flashlighting on the bottom, left and upper left sides. I am wondering whether this is something that I just need to get over. The only time it is bothersome is when there is no picture on the screen (turning on or transitioning from one channel to another), or sometimes when the scene on the screen is very dark. We have not had this happen with our other LED tvs, but they are considerably smaller. I purchased this from Amazon and only have about a week left to make my decision. Is the flashlighting something that large screen LED owners just get used to? Are there any other adjustments that I could make that would help?
post #1102 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris231 View Post

I've had my Vizio M551d for almost three weeks now. At first I was disappointed with the set, but when I used the suggested settings from Dr. Shankenstein, things improved dramatically. ' Received my firmware update and am happy with the set, except...I still have issues with the flashlighting on the bottom, left and upper left sides. I am wondering whether this is something that I just need to get over. The only time it is bothersome is when there is no picture on the screen (turning on or transitioning from one channel to another), or sometimes when the scene on the screen is very dark. We have not had this happen with our other LED tvs, but they are considerably smaller. I purchased this from Amazon and only have about a week left to make my decision. Is the flashlighting something that large screen LED owners just get used to? Are there any other adjustments that I could make that would help?

Do you mean the light bleed around the sides?

Good luck finding an edge lit tele that aint got that issue.. I only see it when I turn something off while the tv is on and its a pure black screen. My last flat screen was from 2004 so this tv is amazing to me. Just wish I would get the update cause I am sick of fooling the 3d on with a swap trick. lol

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #1103 of 10180 Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Just got home and got the message that I was updated to 1.04!! It happened between 5-8pm. 3d and clock is fixed!!! Love it!!
post #1104 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Can someone please post some pics of this thing in a darkened room to help better judge light bleed or flashlighting... Thanks
post #1105 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

Do you think that there is something wrong with your TV. Being that the issue is only on the top right corner. Or do u think that will be like that on all screens

I aint taking pics, But I can tell you that the light bleed is there. Mine is mostly on the (facing tv) right side, bottom up through to the middle. I only see it when there is no source. But its there and anyone that is bothered by light bleed will definitely complain.

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #1106 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

I use the harmony one also and it works great, but there is one issue and that is with turning th tv on from a cold start. Powering on the harmony, tv fires up, then avr, which goes to the correct input, there is sound, then tv finally boots to screen then the tv changes the avr input so i then need to hit help for it to switch again. I tried to change the timing on the harmony, yet i haven't been able to figure it out. Do you have the same scenario?... If so, what did you do to correct that.

This sounds like a CEC issue to me. I'm not real familiar with CEC so might be wrong. See if you can disable CEC on your TV/AVR or both. I've got a hunch that will resolve your issue. Let me know how it goes.
post #1107 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Just got home and got the message that I was updated to 1.04!! It happened between 5-8pm. 3d and clock is fixed!!! Love it!!

Yep, my M501d just updated yesterday.
post #1108 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM

80 inch is in stock at Vizio. smile.gif

http://store.vizio.com/m801da3.html
josephpearson likes this.

-Dano
post #1109 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Unless Vizio (or retailers...read Sam's, Costco, BB, etc.) significantly lower the price on the 80", I'm with Falconman515 and going with the "sweet spot" 70". 4 grand is a little too much for only 10" imo when I can get the 70 for over $1500 less.

Steve
post #1110 of 10180 Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Change your batteries for your vizio remote. Dont use the vizio batteries. I bought my tv last sunday. Batteries lasted til Saturday. Had the biggest scare since the I.r wasnt responding but the remote was liting up? Anyway turnrd ouf being the batteries didnt have enough juice after a week.

Im going to stick to sith with my harmony remote.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page