Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

Yes, for optical out. I'm not sure if there is an optical in though(I have the M501). You may need to use component in for the older device.
You bought the 65"...but, the screen is too reflective, so you recommend the 60"?? Have you seen the 2 TV's side by side?
I'm torn between the 65" and the 60"-neither is in stock on the local Walmart, so I'm waiting for someone that has compared both, to tell me the difference. This set would be in my living room, which has a lot of light(windows, sliding glass door).

And what exactly do you mean by a dozen dark pixels? Are they stuck? or do they light up when the TV is on?

I haven't seen the 60" in person, but I've read on this forum that the non-glass FPR versions of this series are substantially less glossy. My 65" is a mirror. I have a window directly behind the couch I sit on to watch TV and it's extremely visible as a reflection in the center of the screen. I'm going to have to come up with a way to block the light (I can't use blinds on the window as there are a bunch of plants using the light to grow).

I just discovered that the dark pixels were actually little bits of stuff stuck to the screen. It took using a magnifying loupe to see that it was something on the screen (I couldn't tell what it was that was stuck to the screen) and not the screen its' self. Cleaning the screen with distilled water and a microfiber cloth was completely ineffective at removing them, but my fingernail did the trick.

What's more disturbing than the specks stuck to the screen that looked like dark pixels are the vertical dark bands in the screen. There is one that's 6.75" from the left edge of the screen that runs the entire height of the screen and several others that are slightly less visible across the screen. There is also a dark splotch about 4" high by 2" wide near the center of the screen. I noticed the vertical bands while watching a movie that had a scene with a light blue sky and sand. It was very obvious and distracting. The splotch hasn't been visible in programing so far. I made some 1920x1080 pixel images to quantify the issues and the white to black gradient image I made shows the screen flaws the best. I think I'm going to have to return this set (ugh) and hope for better luck with the replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 10
Finally, this morning(06/12/13) I turned on my 50" set and the update was there. The clock is now current. I called comcast to turn on 3D and the 3d channels are great. I think I waited almost a week before the update showed up. Don't know why so long.
post #1173 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_ca View Post

I have tried to program my Harmony remote and can't seem to find any of the new m series TVs in their database. What did you enter as the model number?

I entered the model as M651d. It asked me which of several different versions of that model my TV was. I used the web version of their software (myharmony.com/) to update my remote. The stand alone software may not be as up to date.
post #1174 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

I noticed the vertical bands while watching a movie that had a scene with a light blue sky and sand. It was very obvious and distracting.

This worries me cause that along with DSE and the halo/ghosting effect are 3 things I WILL NOT tolerate in a TV of this price (I expected it with the cheap 65" Vizio I had last year and the 70" E-Series this year ... but not on this M-Series At All).

I will be PISSED of if my 70" M-Series has this issue or any of the others as they are Massively Distracting more then anything.
post #1175 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM

Received my 55" yesterday and fiddled with it using Dr. Shankenstein's settings. Picture looked great watching the basketball and Cubs game. Came home this afternoon and turned it on. Could barely see the picture it was so dark and the screen is so reflective. Turned it off; came back and the picture was brighter but it just doesn't have that 'pop' it had last night, especially on 720p shows. It is cable direct to the TV running the QAM channels. Any settings I am missing? Will play with it over the weekend to see if it improves; if not it will be returned.
post #1176 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

This worries me cause that along with DSE and the halo/ghosting effect are 3 things I WILL NOT tolerate in a TV of this price (I expected it with the cheap 65" Vizio I had last year and the 70" E-Series this year ... but not on this M-Series At All).

I will be PISSED of if my 70" M-Series has this issue or any of the others as they are Massively Distracting more then anything.

Yeah, I'm really disappointed in this flaw. My Samsung plasma suffered from similar banding- bad TV luck frown.gif I checked for the banding using still images via the USB on the tv and via my Blu ray player and the flaw is there with both inputs, regardless of whether smart dimming is on or off. I really don't want to endure the hassle of returning this set to Amazon, but I may have to anyway because I really hate being pulled out of a movie by the banding. The flaw isn't noticeable while watching 3D movies (at least not the ones I've watched so far).
post #1177 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

There are a few others users here who have the 65" model .... anyone else see this banding issue?

I figured this TV was in the clear with so many guys here now already having many other sizes of this model and not once have I heard about any banding issues.
post #1178 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I am waiting for you to do your review before I order online. Hopefully this will be a great TV!
post #1179 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I am waiting for you to do your review before I order online. Hopefully this will be a great TV!

Knowing my luck it'll be a hunk of $hit with banding and dirty screen with ghosting on sports like crazy ... Can't seem to find a good TV at all now a days!
post #1180 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Knowing my luck it'll be a hunk of $hit with banding and dirty screen with ghosting on sports like crazy ... Can't seem to find a good TV at all now a days!

WOW why the negative attitude. Look at me, it only took me 6 tv's to get a good one for the livingroom biggrin.gif

My present M551D (2nd one) seems good, I complained about a slightly fuzzy or blurry 3D when I first got this a few days ago. That was thru component inputs since I didn't have the firmware update yet.
Well I got home today & the update was there, checked out Men in Black 3 3D and it looks better using the HDMI input.. As for 2D, I'm watching the Stanley cup finals & PQ is great, fast motion is great too, no blur. IT"S ABOUT TIME. no noticeable dirty screen or flashlighting. Keep positive falconman515, you'll get a good one this time.
josephpearson likes this.
post #1181 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 17
Finally got the update today. Came home from work and it was done. biggrin.gif bought the TV on 5/27. Not sure why it took so long to get the update. But the TV is perfect now. biggrin.gif

TV - Vizio m501d-a2r
Stereo - Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers - S4251W-B4
post #1182 of 10180 Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

FYI,
my comment a few days back when I first got this M551D about the 3D being somewhat fuzzy when using component inputs. Now that I got the firmware update I did a direct comparison on 2 different movies between component & HDMI inputs, the issue was the component input most likely because of the analog to digital conversion it does. The movies were both 1080i which component is rated for BUT HDMI definitely has the edge on fine detail, both movies were better in 3D with HDMI. If all I had was component, it would be ok but HDMI has a much crisper picture and better depth. It's my conclusion that this TV doesn't suck... biggrin.gif
josephpearson likes this.
post #1183 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

There are a few others users here who have the 65" model .... anyone else see this banding issue?

I figured this TV was in the clear with so many guys here now already having many other sizes of this model and not once have I heard about any banding issues.

I have the 65". I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about, because it is pretty awesome. If the room is completely dark, and the TV is displaying no-signal blue screen, I can see very faint banding. Otherwise I have not seen it.
post #1184 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My 80" arrives tomorrow afternoon...I think I should stop reading this thread for now so I don't pre-corrupt my first viewings by looking for negatives instead of experiencing non-biased first impressions smile.gif
josephpearson, TheChadd and mascus like this.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1185 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Liked: 12
70" was just delivered to my house. Going to be a long day of work. Will post comments after set up tonight.
mascus likes this.
post #1186 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Here are a couple pics of the banding on my 65". The first pic is a pure light grey image I made in Photoshop, the second is a still frame from Imax Space Station 3D Blu-ray. The dark splotch is also visible in the second photo, it's just to the left of the top of the rocket. Most of the time the banding isn't noticeable, but when it is it pulls me right out of the movie. It was very noticeable during the launch scenes in the Imax Space Station both in 3D and 2D. The shipping box had a couple of holes in it, but no visible damage to the set. I'll be picking up a replacement from a local Costco or Best Buy (local means an hour and a half away mad.gif ).
post #1187 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm debating between this television and the LG LA6200 series, but these banding issues are making me nervous. Did GiantBubbleGuy just get a bad set, or are others having similar issues and just have a higher tolerance for this kind of PQ?
post #1188 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

I can't speak for the 65, but I have the M551D and it is fine as far as PQ goes
post #1189 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

I'll be picking up a replacement from a local Costco or Best Buy (local means an hour and a half away mad.gif ).

Why would you even consider Best Buy if you have access to Costco with their 90 day return policy & double the warranty vs Best Buys 15 day policy?
post #1190 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM

I can use some advice.. I've been eyeing these TVs since ces I have a 65" mitsubishi diamond dlp whose light engine is failing (white spots all over screen) I dont think I want to go down in size. Is the 8ms response time a big deal if I'm not gaming? (I rarely play games) should I forget the 65 and go with either 60 or 70? Or is the response time more for gaming?
post #1191 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Why would you even consider Best Buy if you have access to Costco with their 90 day return policy & double the warranty vs Best Buys 15 day policy?

In my case, financing.
post #1192 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0819 View Post

I can use some advice.. I've been eyeing these TVs since ces I have a 65" mitsubishi diamond dlp whose light engine is failing (white spots all over scteen) I do think want to go down in size and I rarely play games. Is the 8ms response time a big deal if I'm not gaming? Or should I forget the 65 and go with either 60 or 70

Well,i have the 651SV and i love it. I came from a 73 inch Mits (loved it) yet i wanted to sell as Mits ended its dlp line. Was worried a bit about going from 73" to 65" but no worries. 3D far exceeds the mits setup, passive just simply rocks. Big gamer here also and wow its sweet.
QuadraQ likes this.
post #1193 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the update came through I've noticed that my clock is perfect, but I haven't check out the manual 3D yet (I'm sure it works fine). Also, it seems the remote works better after the update - not sure if that was something from the update or me just aiming more carefully at the lower left of the set. Either way, super happy with my purchase (55"). I'm going to try out the good Dr's settings tonight. The only thing I don't like about the set how reflective the screen is (compared to my old SXRD), but I moved the lamp that was most of the culprit and that problem all but went away.
post #1194 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msable View Post

Do you recall how long it was before you received the update ?

I bought my TV on the 30th of May, so it was about a week and a half before I received the update. From what I understand, though, it shouldn't make a difference, as they roll out updates by serial number and model.
post #1195 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0819 View Post

I can use some advice.. I've been eyeing these TVs since ces I have a 65" mitsubishi diamond dlp whose light engine is failing (white spots all over screen) I dont think I want to go down in size. Is the 8ms response time a big deal if I'm not gaming? (I rarely play games) should I forget the 65 and go with either 60 or 70? Or is the response time more for gaming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Well,i have the 651SV and i love it. I came from a 73 inch Mits (loved it) yet i wanted to sell as Mits ended its dlp line. Was worried a bit about going from 73" to 65" but no worries. 3D far exceeds the mits setup, passive just simply rocks. Big gamer here also and wow its sweet.

I agree with Datagg. I just got rid of my 62" Mistsu DLP (WD62525) and went with the M651. You'll be very happy with the 65", especially coming from your Mitsu DLP.
post #1196 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Liked: 15
This is a response for anyone looking at the M651D-A2R. I have had it for 2 weeks now and I still can't make my mind up on it. The picture is great, it has nice colors and decent black levels. It has some bleed on the 2 bottom corners, not too bad. I can notice that if I am sitting on an angle that the brightness/color lightens some but overall I am satisfied with the picture. I really like the 3D and think its awesome, no real complaints there. The remote sucks as a lot of people have mentioned, but should be fixed when the update comes out. The 8ms on it could be a problem, when I compare this set to my couple year old Samsung 46inch that has a 4ms I THINK I can tell a difference. Now if I had never read the 65 has a 8ms I don't know honestly if its in my head or not. I am analyzing the picture more than I normally would at this point. I do play a lot of games and I believe I can see some slight ghosting/blurring on fast moving stuff. The 651SV somehow has a 5.5ms refresh rate vs the 8 of the 65. If I would have known this before ordering I definitely would have held off but I was watching hockey last night and that looked pretty damn good. It does have slight dirty screen effect, its not noticeable farther away, say maybe 9 feet but its there. The optical out on the TV passes DD 5.1 to the Vizio 5.1 soundbar no problem. The screen is VERY reflective. I have it in my basement which is dark and I still get some glare from a light at the top of the steps. Its not horrible and not a deal breaker for me. It does have some banding issues, I don't see it often, only on a gray background for the most part from what I can remember. I know this all sounds negative but I do really like the TV don't get me wrong.

I keep going back and forth on it and almost pulled the trigger on the 70 today. I know a couple of people on the forums here are getting the 70/80 today so hopefully someone will post a review on it. I just have this feeling since the TV was discounted 300 bucks and that the ms is 8 and screen reflective that it is some how an older or inferior screen. I guess the only way of knowing is comparing them smile.gif. Does anyone else have any experiences with 8ms vs 4ms? I know its really hard to compare them since the TV companies don't all use the same standards.

I can answer any questions I didn't cover in this post, let me know.
TheChadd likes this.
post #1197 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Liked: 11
Ill likely be buying the 50" from Amazon, though they are saying 3-5 weeks since they are out of stock.

For those worried about price protection by not getting it at Costco or Sams, check with your credit card company. My Discover gives 90 days of price protection, year of added warranty, damage/theft protection (only up to $500 I think), bit of cash back, etc. Just something to think about if you want to avoid paying taxes at a brick and mortar store.
post #1198 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybot31k View Post

I bought my TV on the 30th of May, so it was about a week and a half before I received the update. From what I understand, though, it shouldn't make a difference, as they roll out updates by serial number and model.

I got the update in a few days. Make sure you're connected to internet, either ethernet or wifi, then go to menu/ system/reset\admin/service check, when promted press yes. Turn off tv and make sure internet access (modem & any router) stays active. I did this a few times over a couple days & it updated. I think the menu selections are correct, I'm working from memory via my phone. Good luck
post #1199 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Because some people are Silver members and have a 60 day return, plus 2 years interest free to pay it off on the BB card.

Costco also doesn't take the credit cards I would have used. This is despite my being a member of Costco.

Just because Best Buy doesn't work for YOU, doesn't mean that it's a bad option. Just like Costco doesn't work well for me. However, I'm not going to call you out on your choice for buying it at Costco.
post #1200 of 10180 Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superguy25 View Post

Because some people are Silver members and have a 60 day return, plus 2 years interest free to pay it off on the BB card.

Costco also doesn't take the credit cards I would have used. This is despite my being a member of Costco.

Just because Best Buy doesn't work for YOU, doesn't mean that it's a bad option. Just like Costco doesn't work well for me. However, I'm not going to call you out on your choice for buying it at Costco.

Coctco will be in existence long after Best Buy goes the path of Circuit City and The Sharper Iimage.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page