Official Vizio M-Series Razor Mxx1i thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys sooo I bought the 55inch an everything seems pretty good..its going well, so anyway now Ive been playing the game "The Last of Us" an was wondering what setting would be best for picture quality in game mode??, if anyone has any suggestions that'd be awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 16
No M 70" Vizio's at my Costco. Looked at the Sony, looked ok but had a dead pixel. I could go either Vizio or Sony I wish there was a head to head comparison.
falconman515 likes this.
post #1443 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

No M 70" Vizio's at my Costco. Looked at the Sony, looked ok but had a dead pixel. I could go either Vizio or Sony I wish there was a head to head comparison.

Lucky you I have seen. No 70 or 80 in Texas and I don't have Costco membership to check ones in Dow but according to website not in stock online
post #1444 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Ya I wish I could see a comparison of these two.

My 70" M-Series looks good but after watching True Blood the other night you really get a sense of how bad the Smart Dimming really is.

Didn't look horrible but a lot of blooming on the darker scenes and some washout in black areas where the corner LED's are shining bright bright light to center of the screen to light a certain spot ... and the blooming light area passes through the all black spots and washes it our a bit and makes a little gray.

I am really gonna start researching the Sony and maybe make the switch and check it out.

Then if the Sony sucks I will go back to the M-Series and Cross ALL my fingers that at that point a newer panel will look better.
post #1445 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 61
I have seen the Sony at Costco and Best Buy - both playing store feeds and both looked good. I also saw the Sony at HHGregg here in Ohio. They had a live feed of ESPN HD playing on all the tvs. I was comparing the 65 inch Samsung f7100 and the 70 inch Sony. I had the guy switch the 240 smooth motion function on and off, and I could not tell the difference on the Sony. the Sammy is native 240. Both looked fantastic. This was in a darkened area of the store, so I tried to look for flashlighting and bleeding, but couldn't find any. However, the Sammy thread has a lot of complaints about the light bleed. And since I have read so many complaints about the Vizio's dimming problems and light bleed problems, I decided to buy the 70 inch Sony - at Costco.
post #1446 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Ya I wish I could see a comparison of these two.

My 70" M-Series looks good but after watching True Blood the other night you really get a sense of how bad the Smart Dimming really is.

Didn't look horrible but a lot of blooming on the darker scenes and some washout in black areas where the corner LED's are shining bright bright light to center of the screen to light a certain spot ... and the blooming light area passes through the all black spots and washes it our a bit and makes a little gray.

I am really gonna start researching the Sony and maybe make the switch and check it out.

Then if the Sony sucks I will go back to the M-Series and Cross ALL my fingers that at that point a newer panel will look better.

If I had a way to transport both of these home I would purchase them at the same time and then make a choice. Oh well life is not always perfect. I still have a month or so to make a decision but I want this over with.
post #1447 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM

No 70 M series online or in my store. What does that mean? Maybe I will just go up and buy the Sony and strap it to the top of my car.
post #1448 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 19
I have placed an order for the SONY 70 inch to swap it with the m701d I have. The flashlighting is just too much in a dark room and I've got to try something else. If the Sony KDL isn't up to par I don't know what I'm going to do. Perhaps the 65 inch ST60? Don't want to spend more than $2500 and want something at least 65 inches (prefer 70 though). I'm really hopping this SONY does the trick. I'll post again if it does. I may be one of the first people to have tested both the m701d and the KDL-70R550A in a dark room.
I will say that the VIZIO does a great job with bright scenes in a lit environment. However, in complete dark and dark scenes you WILL see flashlights shinning from the edges to create the center bright object. If you're putting the Vizio in a windowed room and will probably use it more in the day than evening it may be a perfect fit for you. The SONY KDL just happens to be cheaper right now on amazon so I'm pulling the trigger. Will post soon...
post #1449 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest790 View Post

I'm wondering this too. 3D is fantastic, but the smooth motion kicks in and is grayed out so you can't disable it.

Okay, I found out how.

I calibrated the set, but it was still in Vivid mode. Gaming mode disables the smooth motion in 3D so I just copied my settings over. 3D looks like film now.

Curiously, my receiver is not 3D compatible so my Sony Blu-Ray player won't let me play a 3D movie since it doesn't detect a 3D TV. However, my cable box streams 3D through the receiver just fine. I guess it lacks the chip that tells it "you can't do this."
post #1450 of 9833 Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
"However, the Sammy thread has a lot of complaints about the light bleed."

I read through the F7500 and F7100 threads and saw very few complaints about light bleeding. That's why I have my hopes up for those televisions.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1451 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8doggr View Post

I decided to buy the 70 inch Sony - at Costco.

Did you just recently purchase?

Any feedback on your experience with it?

Wanting to know about Light Bleed, Banding, DSE, ghosting / Halo effect during sports, etc. ???

Would love to know how this Sony 70" from Costco is working out for you.

Thanks so much. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhelms View Post

I have placed an order for the SONY 70 inch to swap it with the m701d I have. The flashlighting is just too much in a dark room and I've got to try something else. If the Sony KDL isn't up to par I don't know what I'm going to do. Perhaps the 65 inch ST60? Don't want to spend more than $2500 and want something at least 65 inches (prefer 70 though). I'm really hopping this SONY does the trick. I'll post again if it does. I may be one of the first people to have tested both the m701d and the KDL-70R550A in a dark room.
I will say that the VIZIO does a great job with bright scenes in a lit environment. However, in complete dark and dark scenes you WILL see flashlights shinning from the edges to create the center bright object. If you're putting the Vizio in a windowed room and will probably use it more in the day than evening it may be a perfect fit for you. The SONY KDL just happens to be cheaper right now on amazon so I'm pulling the trigger. Will post soon...

I eagerly await your feedback and comparison between the two ... I'm gonna wait till I find out more info before making any changes.

Please let us know as soon as the new Sony TV arrives.

Thanks SO much. smile.gif
post #1452 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorJZ View Post

By Geek Squad?

I wouldn't trust Geek Squad to take out the garbage...no, a calibrator from Barretts.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1453 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone been able to determine if the optical out on the TV will pass 5.1 from all sources and not just OTA stuff? I want to run my cable box, BD player and xbox to the TV via HDMI and then the optical out to a soundbar. But, I only want to do that if it will pass 5.1 for all of my sources.

I currently have a 5.1 seperates setup with an AVR, but Im wanting to trim down on the equipment.
post #1454 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3In2Out View Post

Has anyone been able to determine if the optical out on the TV will pass 5.1 from all sources and not just OTA stuff? I want to run my cable box, BD player and xbox to the TV via HDMI and then the optical out to a soundbar. But, I only want to do that if it will pass 5.1 for all of my sources.

I currently have a 5.1 seperates setup with an AVR, but Im wanting to trim down on the equipment.

It was my understanding that if you want PCM, it will only do 2 channel over optical or ARC. In order to get 5.1 PCM you have to use HDMI sound (not over ARC). I think you can bitstream 5.1 Dolby and what not but that is the TV doing the coding then.
post #1455 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

It will pass DD5.1 from HDMI inputs with bitstream set.
post #1456 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsists View Post

It was my understanding that if you want PCM, it will only do 2 channel over optical or ARC. In order to get 5.1 PCM you have to use HDMI sound (not over ARC). I think you can bitstream 5.1 Dolby and what not but that is the TV doing the coding then.

On my setup it will pass a Dolby Digital signal, but not DTS or any TrueHD. Those get downmixed to stereo PCM even if you set the TV to bitstream mode. Not sure why it does this.
post #1457 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Ive been thinking about going with the Vizio S4251w-B4, but it only has an optical input and no HDMI.

I could certainly find a soundbar with HDMI inputs, but I do like the price and setup of the vizio as far as it being "5.1".

Im just concerned with the optical out on the TV that I wouldnt be getting 5.1 passed to the Vizio soundbar.
post #1458 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 61
Did you just recently purchase?

Any feedback on your experience with it?

Wanting to know about Light Bleed, Banding, DSE, ghosting / Halo effect during sports, etc. ???

Would love to know how this Sony 70" from Costco is working out for you.

Thanks so much.

Falcon,

I just purchased it on Monday. However, I did it because I had to leave for a two week business trip on Tuesday, and I wanted to get the Costco sale price before I left. So it sits in my basement...waiting. All I can think about on this trip is getting home and setting that baby up. (There is a small chance I could be returning home for Sunday and Monday, so it is possible I could have some feedback then). But either way, I will post my experiences as soon as I can.

Also, Costco also had the Samsung 65F7100 on sale, which I also liked due to its native 240hz screen. This TV will be used mostly for sports and movies (in that order). The idea of smoother motion with the native 240 Sammy has me considering buying the Sammy as well, comparing them side by side, and keeping the best one. It would be a pain, and it's not the most ethical thing, but I am going to have this for 5 - 8 years, and I want to choose the best option for my money.
post #1459 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On my setup it will pass a Dolby Digital signal, but not DTS or any TrueHD. Those get downmixed to stereo PCM even if you set the TV to bitstream mode. Not sure why it does this.

I hope to experiment with 5.1 bitstreaming today. The manual on p.22 claims DTS signals canoot be passed through digial audio outputs when the TV speakers are set to ON, to me implying it may work with Digital Audio Out set to bitstream. I have 3 HDMI sources going in to the TV and an old receiver with spdif in, so it would be huge for me to get 5.1 passed through via spdif (right now I'm using an optical/coax switcher).

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1460 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM

On this, page 13 and 14, it seems to refer that the optical out will pass DD 5.1.

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M501dA2R/UM_M501dA2R.pdf

If Im running any kind of external speaker, the TV speakers will be set to off.
post #1461 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 12
I'm sitting on the fence between the Sony 70" R550A and M701d. I've seen both and the Sony looks sharper to me, but the Vizio has better color. Is it just me, or does the Sony look washed out on color (especially flesh tones) compared to other sets? I can get the Sony much cheaper in the 70" size through the Navy Exchange vs. the Vizio at Costco (NEX does not sell Vizio products unfortunately).

Wife wants me to wait for the Vizio XVT 4k sets, but I told her she needs to get two more jobs to aford that because I don't want to go less than 70". I fear the 70" XVT, when if finally comes out, will be astronomically priced! All this is moot anyway because in 5-8 years we will all probably have 80" OLED 4K sets that will totally trump anything available today. Technology....gotta love it.

Steve
post #1462 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Picked up the M55 at Sam's ($998) on Monday and fist impression is it's stunning. Conditions for me are a basement with one window to the side with proper treatments, viewing distance is 10 feet. Set is wall mounted with the middle of the screen a few inches above eye level when sitting. Settings out of the box are serviceable but like most others have stated it does take some tweaking. I tried Dr.Shankenstein's settings on Calibrated Dark but just didn't look right to my eye, everything looked muted on my panel. I'm still looking for the sweet spot but getting close with the Calibrated setting. World Cup qualifying last night looked good with no ghosting or motion blur. The same with NHL on Monday but did notice just a slight dirty screen effect when the camera was panning down the ice. I have not noticed any banding. The real test for me will come with football, I'll have to look for some game replays on the NFL Network. Not a fan of the NBA but the highlights on Sports Center look excellent to me. Non-sports programming (Discovery, Science Channel, HGTV, A&E, local news) have all looked good. Can't say what SD programming looks like, refuse to watch it as most of it looks like garbage to me.

Looked at the first fight scene between Bane and Batman on BD and the contrast and black levels were great, smart dimming was effective and not an issue. Tron Legacy would be a good test but I don't have a copy.

3D through the YouTube app was excellent. This is my first 3D TV so can't compare it to anything but Avatar 3D at the theater and the experience was the same, definite wow factor. Haven't seen it mentioned before but Galapagos 3D is a great way to show off what this set can do. I'm connected through wifi to my router and get 10 Mbps speed from my ISP (local outfit, Falcon Broadband) and it's adequate for YouTube. It paused for a few seconds a couple of times to load during the 10 minutes I watched of the Avatar 3D trailer but the Galapagos video played all the way through smoothly. No subscriptions to Netflix, HULU etc so can't comment on those apps.

Played Black Ops 2 on XBox 360 and noticed no difference lag wise from my last set, 6 year old Sony Bravia 40" LCD 8ms response vs. the 5ms response from the M55, which is virtually non-existent. Any lag I see is a limit of my ISP (at least that's how I justify my poor play!).

The remote works fine for me with a clear line of sight to the lower left hand corner where the sensor is. The only button I find buggy is the up arrow but all others respond first time, every time. Hope the much talked about update this summer to wifi functionality makes the remote even better.

Tried the sound out and I would say it's only adequate for the local news broadcast but not much else. All sources run through my Denon 1613 receiver via HDMI. I have the ARC enabled so sound from the YouTube app was routed back to my receiver via HDMI with no problems. The volume control on the Vizio remote controls my receiver as well.

Received the firmware update to 1.04.955M90 first time the set was turned off so must have been in a batch previously scheduled for the update.

The picture and performance are excellent, I couldn't ask for any more bang for my buck. Will you find flaws if you look for them, yes but I'm sure that's true of all edge lit panels (at least that's what I leaned from the AVS forums). My review and impressions aren't based on scrutinizing still images, start up screens or movie credits but from watching a wide variety of content. My M55 provides an immersive experience and I think that's what most are looking for in a TV.
--Sclaws likes this.

Vizio M55 Vizio BD Denon 1613 XBox 360
post #1463 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

I'm sitting on the fence between the Sony 70" R550A and M701d. I've seen both and the Sony looks sharper to me, but the Vizio has better color. Is it just me, or does the Sony look washed out on color (especially flesh tones) compared to other sets? I can get the Sony much cheaper in the 70" size through the Navy Exchange vs. the Vizio at Costco (NEX does not sell Vizio products unfortunately).

Wife wants me to wait for the Vizio XVT 4k sets, but I told her she needs to get two more jobs to aford that because I don't want to go less than 70". I fear the 70" XVT, when if finally comes out, will be astronomically priced! All this is moot anyway because in 5-8 years we will all probably have 80" OLED 4K sets that will totally trump anything available today. Technology....gotta love it.

X2, I am hoping for some comments from people who have tried both. I did read a comment on the Sony thread that said the off angle viewing on was pretty bad and that there were issues with the colors not being the greatest.
post #1464 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post

It will pass DD5.1 from HDMI inputs with bitstream set.

Correct, bitstream will do DD 5.1. That is the TV doing the decoding, not the receiver or sound bar.
Quote:

Quote:

Ive been thinking about going with the Vizio S4251w-B4, but it only has an optical input and no HDMI.

I could certainly find a soundbar with HDMI inputs, but I do like the price and setup of the vizio as far as it being "5.1".

Im just concerned with the optical out on the TV that I wouldnt be getting 5.1 passed to the Vizio soundbar.

HDMI ARC has the same bandwith issue as optical, it will not pass PCM 5.1, it can bitstream DD 5.1. What I am referring to by saying HDMI audio is that you have your sources go into a receiver and the receiver decodes the sound and sends the video to the TV. There is no way to get DTS or TrueHD from the TV/Apps using ARC or optical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

I hope to experiment with 5.1 bitstreaming today. The manual on p.22 claims DTS signals canoot be passed through digial audio outputs when the TV speakers are set to ON, to me implying it may work with Digital Audio Out set to bitstream. I have 3 HDMI sources going in to the TV and an old receiver with spdif in, so it would be huge for me to get 5.1 passed through via spdif (right now I'm using an optical/coax switcher).

You can get STANDARD DTS core over optical, but not the high res sound you might be looking for. It is pulling the core out of the Master Audio at a bitrate of 1.5 mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS Website 
DTS-HD encoded content contains a DTS surround sound “core”, plus an “extension” that delivers even higher quality. When you play a DTS-HD encoded disc through an older DTS-capable receiver, the DTS-HD extension is simply ignored and only the DTS core is decoded — but not at ordinary quality levels. Your older receiver will play back DTS-HD material with DTS surround audio at twice the data rate of other DVD video surround formats. Meaning? You get immediate compatibility and a boost in quality.
Quote:

On this, page 13 and 14, it seems to refer that the optical out will pass DD 5.1.

http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/hdtv/M501dA2R/UM_M501dA2R.pdf

If Im running any kind of external speaker, the TV speakers will be set to off.

It can bitstream DD 5.1, not PCM it. It will PCM at 2 channel. Both over optical or HDMI ARC.
TheChadd likes this.
post #1465 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:

X2, I am hoping for some comments from people who have tried both. I did read a comment on the Sony thread that said the off angle viewing on was pretty bad and that there were issues with the colors not being the greatest.

I can attest that the off angle is worse on the Sony. I purposely looked for this on both sets and to my eyes, the Vizio holds up way better for off axis viewing. The best thing the Sony has going for it for me personally is price (can get it cheap through the NEX) and sharpness. But the sharpness on the Vizio is good too so it's almost a draw with the Sony having a very slight edge. I will also go out on a limb and say that with a little tweaking, you can probably get the Sony's flesh tones to match the Vizio or at least get close enough. As far as contrast, I think it's a draw between the two sets. Don't expect OLED or plasma level blacks on either set. I'm with many others in here regarding flashlighting and DSE. Coming from an older 2005 Sammy plasma, I know that the aformentioned issues will probably bother me. I can see some flashlighting on my son's Samsung and it drives me crazy.

Steve
post #1466 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Correct, bitstream will do DD 5.1. That is the TV doing the decoding, not the receiver or sound bar.

HDMI ARC has the same bandwith issue as optical, it will not pass PCM 5.1, it can bitstream DD 5.1. What I am referring to by saying HDMI audio is that you have your sources go into a receiver and the receiver decodes the sound and sends the video to the TV. There is no way to get DTS or TrueHD from the TV/Apps using ARC or optical.
You can get STANDARD DTS core over optical, but not the high res sound you might be looking for. It is pulling the core out of the Master Audio at a bitrate of 1.5 mbps.

It can bitstream DD 5.1, not PCM it. It will PCM at 2 channel. Both over optical or HDMI ARC.

Thx xsists, I'll work on the bitstream setup...best I can do at the moment until I upgrade my receiver.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1467 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
any one purchasing after market 3d glasses... i would like to know who is good... and i cant find much on google... just 3 company's... and i dont want to spend over 50 for the glasses
post #1468 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

any one purchasing after market 3d glasses... i would like to know who is good... and i cant find much on google... just 3 company's... and i dont want to spend over 50 for the glasses

There are tons of options. Here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR5.TRC2&_nkw=reald+3d+glasses&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=reald%203d%20glasses&sprefix=reald+%2Caps%2C220&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Areald%203d%20glasses
post #1469 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i was hoping one of you guys had experience with them thats y.. i know i can get those but i was looking for the glasses that use something else than just the soft film for the lens
post #1470 of 9833 Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

i was hoping one of you guys had experience with them thats y.. i know i can get those but i was looking for the glasses that use something else than just the soft film for the lens

Might want to ask the question in the 3D section of this forum. They might have more answers..

http://www.avsforum.com/f/193/3d-central
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page