post #1621 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuvideo View Post

OK, I get that. But, I haven't really tried looking for my laptop, or the TV, via the Wifi. I tried playing a few files using the TV, thumb drive, and the USB port-that was a no go; "codec not installed". So, to keep it simple, I just use the laptop to store and play via software, and everybody is happy......

That works too if that's works for you!

I like convenience and ease of use ... in turn I need access to my PC via a media streamer at all times. It's just a HECK of a lot easier.

But no matter how we do it ... as long as it works ... Then It Works! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

I hope the xvt line isn't to much more.. I would trade in my mind series for that if it isn't to much more. How were the prices for the other xvt's?

Vizio 4k is supposed to be a lot less than the current sony 4k that is limited.
Both will upscale to 4k but if you run through a receiver for surround you will need a 4k receiver too. Picture us unbelievable. Go to a Best Buy Magnolia and see the Sony. Vizio won't be out for a little while. The sony does have some issues though like speakers integrated next to picture. Very Ugly! Sony 65 4k is $6k, vizio supposedly will be around $4k with more features.
post #1623 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I didn't have much time to mess with it before work and the online manual says nothing about it but was wondering if you can remove unwanted APPS from being shown in the APP window so there is less scrolling to get to APPS I will actually use?

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #1624 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Unless you want to go through the hassle of plugging in your laptop every time you play a movie and have to control it from there and get up and down etc. etc. (royal pain in the ars) a media streamer is always the way to go! They Play EVERYTHING you throw at them (the WD TV does anyway) and they are just plugged into your TV and ready to go At all Times ... you just switch over to the HDMI input it's on and there you go ... you can browse through your entire PC and plays music, show pictures, use the built in APPS (which has way more then the TV itself) and of course play ANY video file you want to play!!! I like simple and convenient and not difficult like pluggin in laptops and having no control with my remote. I bought one about 6 years ago and have been using a WD TV player ever since (of curse I upgrade to the new model every couple years, this is my third one)

You can run it hardlined or WiFi ... it the option for both. Mine is hardwired with a LAN cable through my house's attic wiring to the office but the WiFi option works just perfect as well.
Glad the laptop works okay for you ... just to much of a pain for a guy that just likes to sit in his chair and browse my PC with my remote and be ready to watch anything at any time.

Having the browser thing is cool but who really runs a 15" foot HDMI across the room form the laptop to the TV to view there browser on a huge TV? Seems weird to me but if that works for you then you can;t beat a huge computer monitor in the living room as well. ")

Thanks Falcon, and others who responded. I may just pick up a WD media device on Ebay. Now help me to make a decision on the TV:)
post #1625 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

Thanks Falcon, and others who responded. I may just pick up a WD media device on Ebay. Now help me to make a decision on the TV:)

The m series 80 is calling you
post #1626 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws View Post

I had my 80" ISF calibrated last night and it really improved overall quality IMO. They were able to adjust settings with extreme precision--was impressive to watch and they explained it throughout. I had tried with DVE and thought I had the set pretty good, but there was plenty of room to improve! I'm happy with the refined color accuracy and image clarity they got out of the set--highly recommended to get the best out of your TV investment smile.gif

If u don't mind sharing the settings.. That would be great.
post #1627 of 9708 Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Explain to me why the "E" series is entry level & the"M" series is mid level?? I have an E701i that has decent black levels And an M551D that has mediocre black levels.Granted, the M has 3D but why is PQ better on the "E"??????
post #1628 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Explain to me why the "E" series is entry level & the"M" series is mid level?? I have an E701i that has decent black levels And an M551D that has mediocre black levels.Granted, the M has 3D but why is PQ better on the "E"??????

Then you got a KILLER 70" E

Mine was good but the 70" M blows the E-Series away on PQ ... Black Levels ... With Smart dimming there is ZERO reason to compare black levels ... now with it off ... it's about the same I would say (blacks suck on all these TV's no a days ... edge-lit LED's that is).

If you think PQ is better on the E-Series then the M ... I don't know what to tell you ........

You either got the Best possible known E-Series from an astounding batch of E's or you just got a Crap M-Series ... It can only be one of the two cause the E is in No Way better then the M in PQ.
post #1629 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 06:46 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

That works too if that's works for you!

I like convenience and ease of use ... in turn I need access to my PC via a media streamer at all times. It's just a HECK of a lot easier.

But no matter how we do it ... as long as it works ... Then It Works! smile.gif

One last question. Can I use a wifi based 3D BD as a streamer for when I get my 3D tv and start to collect 3D movies on my computer or should I have a stand alone unit like the WD streamer. Also any suggestions for a 3D BD player? Sorry for the OT questions but I obviously need some help.
post #1630 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Liked: 10
Finally received my M551d-a2r Friday evening.
Initial reaction to out-of-the-box settings for watching content thru my sony blu-ray player is good. Did streaming, blu-ray and 3d blu-ray viewing.

When the delivery guys set up the tv, they had been working hard and put a few smudges on the screen during setup. No problem I'll clean them off later. After watching a couple of movies with my kids, I found a couple of what I thought were smudges about 1/3 in and 1/3 up from bottom of screen. While trying to clean them, the light pressure seemed to clear them up. But there was no smudge. And as soon as I removed pressure, they became distorted again. I haven't wall mounted the tv yet. The spots seem to be approximately lined up with the lower wall mount holes on the back of the tv. Not sure if exactly lined up with them, but close when eyeballing it.

Once I noticed the spot in a light colored scene, it popped out at me every time a lighter scene stayed on that area of the screen.

I'm hoping this is just a quality control issue that will be resolved with a replacement tv. I received the first one the local store received. They are scheduled to receive more in this week. Guess I will have to see how their exchange process works.

As far as what I have seen so far, I like the tv's picture quality. There is the remote issue that seems to impact the up arrow the most. Why that one key over the others puzzles me. The rumored firmware fix will hopefully make the remote issue a non-issue soon. This tv is replacing two previous Panasonic plasma tv's that died prematurely. They had mirror like screens. This Vizio tv has a lightly matted finish. It will still reflect light from behind, but not as bad as the plasma's I had.

If you get a set without screen issues, I would recommend this tv.
post #1631 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Then you got a KILLER 70" E

Mine was good but the 70" M blows the E-Series away on PQ ... Black Levels ... With Smart dimming there is ZERO reason to compare black levels ... now with it off ... it's about the same I would say (blacks suck on all these TV's no a days ... edge-lit LED's that is).

If you think PQ is better on the E-Series then the M ... I don't know what to tell you ........

You either got the Best possible known E-Series from an astounding batch of E's or you just got a Crap M-Series ... It can only be one of the two cause the E is in No Way better then the M in PQ.

I'm talking about a black background with something white, like credits scrolling, on the M I see a white band either side of the white ( and yes, smart dimming & black detail are on) my E series is much better. This is not a deal breaker with me, just an observation. I meant to say Black levels better on the E in my post above, the PQ is great on both sets. The M551D is in my living room & the E701i is in my family room. A few times when the same thing was playing on both I recall watching the 55 thinking "this picture is great" then going into the family room and thinking "wow this is just as good". I'm sure if I was watching them side by side I MAY see a difference, but not when going from one to the other. Basically the banding issue isn't a big deal because how much normal viewing is all black vs mixed.
post #1632 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM

Ok so i have my m501d all set up now for the time being until it gets mounted next week, anyone care to explain how the 3d on this thing works? I tried searching netflix for 3d content on the tv and played a few of the movies under all of the 3d settings, but they looked like complete jumbled garbage. Does that mean that it wasn't truly displaying 3d content?
post #1633 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladeen View Post

Ok so i have my m501d all set up now for the time being until it gets mounted next week, anyone care to explain how the 3d on this thing works? I tried searching netflix for 3d content on the tv and played a few of the movies under all of the 3d settings, but they looked like complete jumbled garbage. Does that mean that it wasn't truly displaying 3d content?

You problay have to set your tv in 3d mode meaning if net flicks shows side by side hit your 3d button put tv in sbs mode bam 3d it's alive lol. Or whatever other mode it's displaying in
post #1634 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You need to set up whether it's side by side or top & bottom by pressing the 3D button on the remote. The button may not work if you don't have the V1.04xxx version of the firmware. These tvs are coming from the factory with V1.2xxx. You need to connect the tv to your internet either with wifi or ethernet cable to get the update.
post #1635 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

You problay have to set your tv in 3d mode meaning if net flicks shows side by side hit your 3d button put tv in sbs mode bam 3d it's alive lol. Or whatever other mode it's displaying in

Quote:

You need to set up whether it's side by side or top & bottom by pressing the 3D button on the remote. The button may not work if you don't have the V1.04xxx version of the firmware. These tvs are coming from the factory with V1.2xxx. You need to connect the tv to your internet either with wifi or ethernet cable to get the update.

i woke up this morning and it greeted me with the message that 1.04 was downloaded and installed. So i tried working with netflix again but i can't tell if it is actually displaying 3d content. Because no matter if i use sbs, tb, or sensio none of them come out right.
post #1636 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i woke up this morning and it greeted me with the message that 1.04 was downloaded and installed. So i tried working with netflix again but i can't tell if it is actually displaying 3d content. Because no matter if i use sbs, tb, or sensio none of them come out right.

Use the tv and go to the youtube app. Search "3D" and you should see a video with a kid sitting on his bed with a sword. That video will show you how 3d is supposed to look. I don't believe the videos on netflix truly display in 3d through this tv. I think they just overlap the screen.
post #1637 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:

You need to post a pic of what your meaning exactly just sounds like its in the wrong mode honestly
post #1638 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 AM

I have a question for those who have the 65" as well as the 70"? One poster quoted that the color setting menu has different values depending on the size.. Which would you say has the better screen. And also do we know if the only difference of the Costco models is the amount of 3d glasses?
post #1639 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked View Post

Use the tv and go to the youtube app. Search "3D" and you should see a video with a kid sitting on his bed with a sword. That video will show you how 3d is supposed to look. I don't believe the videos on netflix truly display in 3d through this tv. I think they just overlap the screen.

Quote:

You need to post a pic of what your meaning exactly just sounds like its in the wrong mode honestly

ok so i used the youtube video and things worked perfectly and the tv seemed to auto sense the 3d content being displayed. However when it comes to the netflix app like you said i don't think they truly display in 3d so no matter the setting of 3d used it doesn't display correctly. I will be connecting a mac mini soon and will use it as a htpc and use VLC to play my 3d files i will definitely report back on how it performs.
post #1640 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM

Your ISP has to allow Netflix Open Connect. A lot of ISP's especially if its a local do not.
Mine does and on my stream it says Super HD I don't believe it will stream the 3D content if it doesn't get that high. On the info pane of my Netflix I have: SD, HD, SuperHD I can watch all the 3D content Netflix offers.
post #1641 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

What about the flashlighting and the local dimming? Reduced?

Reduced but present. Not distracting really... At least for me.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1642 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabonuk View Post

If u don't mind sharing the settings.. That would be great.

I'll get those up when I get a chance.

Vizio M801D-A3

JimK

post #1643 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie301 View Post

Your ISP has to allow Netflix Open Connect. A lot of ISP's especially if its a local do not.
Mine does and on my stream it says Super HD I don't believe it will stream the 3D content if it doesn't get that high. On the info pane of my Netflix I have: SD, HD, SuperHD I can watch all the 3D content Netflix offers.

Actually it's the major nationwide ISP's that haven't jumped on the Netflix Open Connect bandwagon. Comcast, Verizon AT&T and I believe Time Warner haven't joined yet.
post #1644 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie301 View Post

i mean is there a way i can check that? I currently have comcast as my isp, with a pretty respectable download speed.
post #1645 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 AM

I believe your connection has to be at least a 6Meg constant stream for Netflix SuperHD and again the ISP has to allow Netflix Open Connect but good luck confirming it does took me 2 hours of phone calls and about 10 CSR's and supervisors to find out but that was before I bought my TV.
post #1646 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I'm talking about a black background with something white, like credits scrolling, on the M I see a white band either side of the white ( and yes, smart dimming & black detail are on) my E series is much better. This is not a deal breaker with me, just an observation. I meant to say Black levels better on the E in my post above, the PQ is great on both sets. The M551D is in my living room & the E701i is in my family room. A few times when the same thing was playing on both I recall watching the 55 thinking "this picture is great" then going into the family room and thinking "wow this is just as good". I'm sure if I was watching them side by side I MAY see a difference, but not when going from one to the other. Basically the banding issue isn't a big deal because how much normal viewing is all black vs mixed.

That's the Smart Dimming issue several posters have mentioned. The white band is the edge-lit LED shooting a beam of light across the screen to illuminate the white text. On most TVs, just the white text is illuminated, but on the Vizio M-series, you can see the beam of light across the screen.

I have no idea why other than: I think the Vizio only has LEDs along the left and right sides (none at top or bottom), and only has a few wide zones rather than several narrower ones.
post #1647 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

If Ur doing it on the ps3 then go to settings. Find display and choose auto. Then follow steps on screen
post #1648 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i mean is there a way i can check that? I currently have comcast as my isp, with a pretty respectable download speed.

Since you have comcast, go to On Demand and scroll down through the menus to"3D" there are some free movies there and if you subscribe to HBO or Starz, there are some 3D movie menus in that 3D menu for them
post #1649 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rougebear View Post

Did they have to go in the service menu to make adjustments with extreme precision? What were the calibrator's thoughts on strengths and weaknesses of the set? If you don't mind sharing the settings post calibration that would give other 80" owners a good starting point. Thanks!

+1 on sharing your calibrated settings.
post #1650 of 9708 Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0819 View Post

I have a question for those who have the 65" as well as the 70"? One poster quoted that the color setting menu has different values depending on the size.. Which would you say has the better screen. And also do we know if the only difference of the Costco models is the amount of 3d glasses?

I've got both (until the 65 gets picked up to be returned to Amazon). The 65 has better 3D. I see absolutely no ghosting in 3D with it, while I do see some occasionally with the 70. The 70 Is pickier about viewing angle when it comes to 3D as well. The 70 has less noticeable scan lines in 3D ( at the same viewing distance as the 65), and better off axis 2D performance. The smart dimming on the 70 is more noticeable (not sure if that's good or bad). Screen uniformity on my particular examples is WAY better on the 70, but I think the 65 suffered damage in shipping (none visible on the set, but there is a deep crush imprint over the screen on the box). The box on the 70 offers much better protection during shipping (I posted a photo showing the difference). The 70 has a much less reflective screen. The 65 is so reflective that I can see the wall behind me while watching it in a perfectly dark room. It would be my choice in a light and reflection controlled dedicated theater room (assuming I could get one without a defective screen). I had them simultaneously playing the same content (my receiver has dual HDMI output) and the 65 lagged noticeably behind the 70. That could make a difference for a hardcore FPS gamer.
QuadraQ likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page