post #1891 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper11 View Post

So after reading some other threads I saw some people were trying gentle rubbing to help reduce clouding/flashlighting. I figured what the hell and gave it a shot. To my suprise 2 of my corners are very loose. Is this normal? Like I can apply pressure and the screen depresses into the set. This isnt the first LCD ive owned but it is the first LED edge light and wasnt sure if this was a common thing. The rubbing didnt help btw if anything it made it worse.

sounds to me like you got a bad set. if you can return without a lot of hassle I think that's what I'd do.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by popper11 View Post

VizioHD would you mind posting your calibrations? Not sure if my 50" just has a dud panel or if its an issue with my settings but I'm not getting blacks anything like that in a low light room.
I have the M501 and used Dr. Shankenstein settings here; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/540
2nd post down.
I have zero issues with dark scenes-watched Prometheus a few nights ago, and the black were inky and dark, with no cloudiness, banding, or flashlighting. Hope they work for you.
I've copied and pasted the Dr's settings below;
Quote:
Here are my settings:
Settings:Calibrated Dark
Backlight:50
Brightness:52
Contrast:73
Color:53
Tint:0
Sharpness:20
Color Temp:Normal (lowered both Red gain/Offset) white areas looked very pink otherwise.
R/G:525
G/G:472
B/G:443
R/Off:505
G/Off:512
B/Off:514
Adv.Setting:
Auto brightness:Off/High (works in reverse on this set) Example:Instead of the High setting being "Max" it actually dims it the least and "Low" practically turns the backlight off.
Black detail:Off ( very aggressive Dynamic Con) crushed blacks on every setting
Smart Dimming:On
Reduced Noise:Off
Reduce Block:Off
Film Mode:Auto
post #1893 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 11
Owner of a 65" as of last night. I came from a rear projection Sony TV that hasn't given me a single issue (not even a burnt bulb even though I have a backup for 8 years) and while the blacks were not the blackest but no bloom, banding, etc.

I can't comment too heavily as I just got my set last night and I didn't get a ton of time to verify but I was getting some blooming/flashlighting from the bottom of the set on both left and right sides depending on how far off center(not much) in either direction. I tried a few calibrations I seen on this forum and they didn't help with the blooming but I settled on one that I thought looked really well and displayed colors accurately. Then I got fed up with the blooming and started to mess around with the settings. What I found was that lowering the brightness value by 3 from 54 to 51 on my set almost eliminated the blooming all together, so much so that I am no longer considering returning the set.

Now it was late and maybe I was settling so I may reply later that I returned this TV but at the end I barely noticed it in a pitch black room, I can't wait to get home from work and play with it some more. Heres hoping because I want to love this set.
post #1894 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A scary thing happened this morning. First, I'll say that I love my new 60". It's as close to perfect as I can imagine. The only thing that bugs me is the off-angle wash-out, but I know that is the nature of the beast, and I was prepared for that. Well I turned it on this morning, and I had picture, but no sound. My volume indicater was displayed, so I turned it up and down, but still no sound. Muting was off. So, I hit the menu button to see if speakers were turned off in the menu. Nothing! In fact, I couldn't get any of the remote buttons to work. So, I turned off my DirecTV box, and when I turned it back on, there was no picture, only the volume indicator on the screen. Still, no remote functions. Next, I tried the button on the rear of the set. Nothing! I couln't even turn off the TV. So, I un-plugged it, waited a minute or so, and then plugged it back in, hit the "on" button on the remote, and everything returned back to normal. I have 90 days to return it to Costco, so I'll be watching carefully over the next few weeks. Didi I say I love this TV?
post #1895 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

A scary thing happened this morning. First, I'll say that I love my new 60". It's as close to perfect as I can imagine. The only thing that bugs me is the off-angle wash-out, but I know that is the nature of the beast, and I was prepared for that. Well I turned it on this morning, and I had picture, but no sound. My volume indicater was displayed, so I turned it up and down, but still no sound. Muting was off. So, I hit the menu button to see if speakers were turned off in the menu. Nothing! In fact, I couldn't get any of the remote buttons to work. So, I turned off my DirecTV box, and when I turned it back on, there was no picture, only the volume indicator on the screen. Still, no remote functions. Next, I tried the button on the rear of the set. Nothing! I couln't even turn off the TV. So, I un-plugged it, waited a minute or so, and then plugged it back in, hit the "on" button on the remote, and everything returned back to normal. I have 90 days to return it to Costco, so I'll be watching carefully over the next few weeks. Didi I say I love this TV?

Have you by chance upgraded to the new DirecTv Genie ? I've had the same thing happen a couple of times lately where very similar things have happened with the small genie box hooked up and keep in mind I'm still using an older Samsung LCD tv until I pick up a 60" M series this weekend. Glad to hear you like it, just as most people here. After the horrible time I had with the Samsung 7100 I'm hoping I love this set like everyone else.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #1896 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
interested in the 70 inch model for my media room. Any ongoing problems with these sets? input lag? picture issues etc..?

thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1897 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 View Post

is anyone having trouble connecting to netflix on the tv?

I did. Fixed it by unplugging for 10 seconds and plugging back in.
post #1898 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM
yao

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey all,

Feel free to post your settings here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/182BtwVZGmY248Fq4ZV_YsZ3hZMtpgGVsw_2yfUNEVok/viewform

Graphs should be built in automatically, but I'll create other summaries after we get a few responses.
post #1899 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer the medic View Post

Have you by chance upgraded to the new DirecTv Genie ? I've had the same thing happen a couple of times lately where very similar things have happened with the small genie box hooked up and keep in mind I'm still using an older Samsung LCD tv until I pick up a 60" M series this weekend. Glad to hear you like it, just as most people here. After the horrible time I had with the Samsung 7100 I'm hoping I love this set like everyone else.

No, I'm not using the Genie yet.
The only thing I can think of that might have triggered this was that the TV speaker was muted when I powered-down the set last night.
post #1900 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdeath View Post

Two things that irk me about the software (M501D 1.04.xxx):

(1) When you manually set 3D mode there's a pop-up reminding you to put on your 3D glasses and they spelled glasses "Glassses" (three s's, seriously?).

Thats funny...I have the E3D420VX model from last year or so. Whenever that pop-up displayed on screen something always looked odd about it. It also has the extra "S" And my firmware hasn't updated in about a year.
post #1901 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM

frontierajl- played some The Last of Us this morning. Didn't notice any input lag, though it's not an FPS or anything that's incredibly sensitive to it. Looked and played wonderfully. The ghosting that you see in the pictures is not present when you're actually playing the game. Only thing that kind of bothers me with this TV is that there are two vertical lights about a foot and a half apart from each other that sort of shine through the screen. It's pretty much a trade-off though... either have a thin TV or perfect backlighting.

post #1902 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorVideo View Post

No, I'm not using the Genie yet.
The only thing I can think of that might have triggered this was that the TV speaker was muted when I powered-down the set last night.

For what it's worth, I have had the same issue with my DirecTV HR34 unit over the past two months on multiple tv's. I turned the unit on and no sound. Each time, I just had to reset the box. The first time I thought it was the tv or the receiver. It may just be a DirecTV issue.
post #1903 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by archaicruin View Post

frontierajl- played some The Last of Us this morning. Didn't notice any input lag, though it's not an FPS or anything that's incredibly sensitive to it. Looked and played wonderfully. The ghosting that you see in the pictures is not present when you're actually playing the game. Only thing that kind of bothers me with this TV is that there are two vertical lights about a foot and a half apart from each other that sort of shine through the screen. It's pretty much a trade-off though... either have a thin TV or perfect backlighting.

Looks great, can't wait to pick mine up this weekend.
archaicruin likes this.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #1904 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone got the 70 inch version? Im definitely considering this set over the sony 70. Cant belive that this set is the price it is.
archaicruin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1905 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhelms View Post

Well I got the Sony 70 550r last night. Swapped out the Vizio m701d for it. BAD IDEA!
The Sony has some weird color issues when it comes to people's skin though. I played with the adjustments mentioned on this site but couldn't get the picture to look like my old Vizio. I can live with the flashlights on the Vizio shinning in from the sides any day compared to this Sony.

The flesh tone issue has been discussed a lot in the Sony R550A forum. It is a known issue with that set. Also, my personal comparisons side by side with the Vizio (at Costco under bright lights...so take with a grain of salt) is that the off angle viewing is much worse on the Sony compared to the M series. Looking at both sets together you can view off angle much further on the Vizio than the Sony before the colors and brightness begin to fade. The Sony's picture started rapidly falling apart at only 30 degrees off axis. This is completely unacceptable IMO. The Sony also had slightly crushed blacks in dark scenes, but in Sony's defense this may have been a wrong setting, hard to tell without playing around with the menus. Sad thing is, I can get the Sony cheaper than the Vizio, but with all the inherent problems with the Sony, I can't bring myself to do it. I still have a week before I have to move into our new house, so I am continuing the search. I am about 97% sold on the Vizio in 70" size. My hang up now with the Vizio is the remote. Does anyone know if the Wi-Fi direct feature has been turned on yet in the latest updates?

Steve
post #1906 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhelms View Post

Well I got the Sony 70 550r last night. Swapped out the Vizio m701d for it. BAD IDEA!
The Sony has some weird color issues when it comes to people's skin though. I played with the adjustments mentioned on this site but couldn't get the picture to look like my old Vizio. I can live with the flashlights on the Vizio shinning in from the sides any day compared to this Sony.

The flesh tone issue has been discussed a lot in the Sony R550A forum. It is a known issue with that set. Also, my personal comparisons side by side with the Vizio (at Costco under bright lights...so take with a grain of salt) is that the off angle viewing is much worse on the Sony compared to the M series. Looking at both sets together you can view off angle much further on the Vizio than the Sony before the colors and brightness begin to fade. The Sony's picture started rapidly falling apart at only 30 degrees off axis. This is completely unacceptable IMO. The Sony also had slightly crushed blacks in dark scenes, but in Sony's defense this may have been a wrong setting, hard to tell without playing around with the menus. Sad thing is, I can get the Sony cheaper than the Vizio, but with all the inherent problems with the Sony, I can't bring myself to do it. I still have a week before I have to move into our new house, so I am continuing the search. I am about 97% sold on the Vizio in 70" size. My hang up now with the Vizio is the remote. Does anyone know if the Wi-Fi direct feature has been turned on yet in the latest updates?

While I have the 65", I've had literally zero issue with the remote. Every now and again, it won't register the key press, but you just have to make sure that the remote is pointing toward the bottom left corner of the set. As for the Wi-Fi direct, it hasn't been implemented... At least, not on my TV. Haven't heard anything about it being added from anyone else, either though.
mascus likes this.
post #1907 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disolomon View Post

For what it's worth, I have had the same issue with my DirecTV HR34 unit over the past two months on multiple tv's. I turned the unit on and no sound. Each time, I just had to reset the box. The first time I thought it was the tv or the receiver. It may just be a DirecTV issue.

No, it was definitely the TV. Everything on the TV was disabled. The TV remote, and even the power switch on the back of the set.
post #1908 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know this subject has come up before but I don't believe there was any consensus. Does the M series output 5.1 audio if the the source is HDMI?
post #1909 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl46 View Post

I know this subject has come up before but I don't believe there was any consensus. Does the M series output 5.1 audio if the the source is HDMI?

It does!

Edit: I have my PS3 connected via HDMI and use optical out to my Vizio 5.1 Soundbar.
post #1910 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 20
archaicruin,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your answers and help!
Going to go exchange my 55 for the 65 today!
archaicruin likes this.
post #1911 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM

You're quite welcome! Just remember, the screen is VERY glossy so if you have an issue with that you may want to go with the 60 or 70" instead. If you're a FPS guy, you might have an entirely different experience too.
post #1912 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

interested in the 70 inch model for my media room. Any ongoing problems with these sets? input lag? picture issues etc..?

thanks in advance.

I have the 70. Its' picture is great. The 3D is better on the 65" but the 70 is much less glossy. Using gaming mode there is very little lag (the other modes have noticeable lag). I returned my 65" because of a faulty screen (dark vertical lines in the picture). I'm very happy with the 70 and there are no image issues except for occasional slight ghosting in 3D and a glitchy YouTube app that inverts the 3D in some videos that requires I wear the glasses upside down to see 3D properly (Vizio tech support suggested I contact YouTube, as if that would help). Flashlighting is negligible, light bleed is negligible, but there is some occasional blooming with the smart dimming active. I think most people in this thread with 70's are happy with them.
post #1913 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierajl View Post

archaicruin,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your answers and help!
Going to go exchange my 55 for the 65 today!

Quote:

You're quite welcome! Just remember, the screen is VERY glossy so if you have an issue with that you may want to go with the 60 or 70" instead. If you're a FPS guy, you might have an entirely different experience too.

I have the XVT 65 inch from 2 years ago and the thing does put out 5.1 on the optical that stopped when I got a new updated Onkyo HDMI AVR that I guess did not move it forward, and is very glossy when not on. I have no problem with that but I sure wish it was an 80, go as big as you can install.
archaicruin likes this.
post #1914 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBubbleGuy View Post

I have the 70. Its' picture is great. The 3D is better on the 65" but the 70 is much less glossy. Using gaming mode there is very little lag (the other modes have noticeable lag). I returned my 65" because of a faulty screen (dark vertical lines in the picture). I'm very happy with the 70 and there are no image issues except for occasional slight ghosting in 3D and a glitchy YouTube app that inverts the 3D in some videos that requires I wear the glasses upside down to see 3D properly (Vizio tech support suggested I contact YouTube, as if that would help). Flashlighting is negligible, light bleed is negligible, but there is some occasional blooming with the smart dimming active. I think most people in this thread with 70's are happy with them.

Thanks. I just am not sure about swapping my current 73 out for a new led/led/ or plasma. Honestly, the tv I have is great, I just wanted a flat panel that I could hang and move my center channel out of the bottom cabinet, but not a huge deal right now.

post #1915 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa2009 View Post

Here's a good review for the M701d-A3R, http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/vizio-lcd-tv/vizio-m701d.html. Also , there are M Series Calibration Notes!

The review states that this set has 2D to 3D conversion.

"2D to 3D Conversion

Pressing the dedicated diminutive 3D button on the remote results in converting 2D picture to a subtle 3D picture. It's not a feature that has come far enough on this TV to make a difference. You might give it a try on some better quality Blu-Ray discs and see how you like it".

Can someone verify this?
QuadraQ likes this.
post #1916 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone know why Best Buy still doesn't have listing for the 60"/70"/80" models, but they are in stick at amazon, Costco, and others? I was BB today and there was nothing in their system for those models.
post #1917 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm39 View Post

"2D to 3D Conversion

Pressing the dedicated diminutive 3D button on the remote results in converting 2D picture to a subtle 3D picture. It's not a feature that has come far enough on this TV to make a difference. You might give it a try on some better quality Blu-Ray discs and see how you like it".

Can someone verify this?

The M series doesn't offer that functionality.
post #1918 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:

It does!

Edit: I have my PS3 connected via HDMI and use optical out to my Vizio 5.1 Soundbar.

I'm using it with the Uverse box with no issues. Works perfectly.
post #1919 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 92
Quote:

thanks in advance.

Quote:

anyone got the 70 inch version? Im definitely considering this set over the sony 70. Cant belive that this set is the price it is.

There a plenty of pages before this one that will provide you with all the info you need ... most info you are looking resides in the 10-15 pages I would think.
post #1920 of 9867 Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlm39 View Post

"2D to 3D Conversion

Can someone verify this?

That right there just devalues the entire review.

The reviews on that site have always been shady at best anyway.
backmeup and archaicruin like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250 , Vizio 32 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio 55 Inch Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv M3d550sl , vizio m401i-a3 40" hdtv , Vizio M471i A2 47 Inch Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M551d A2r 55 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M601d A3r 60 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M651d A2r 65 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Vizio M801d A3 80 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page