AVS Forum banner
2M views 11K replies 1K participants last post by  dvdchance 
#1 ·
Announced at CES:
http://store.vizio.com/news/cat/news/post/vizio-reveals-expanded-2013-hdtv-collection

Nice looking with slim bezel. No availability date yet. Pricing:

VIZIO M-Series Razor LED Smart TVs

32” Razor LED Smart TV (M321i) – $399.99 Retail Price

40” Razor LED Smart TV (M401i) – $529.99 Retail Price

47” Razor LED Smart TV (M471i) – $699.99 Retail Price

VIZIO M-Series Razor LED Smart TVs w/Theater 3D

50” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M501d) – $849.99 Retail Price

55” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M551d) – $1,199.99 Retail Price

60” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M601d) – $1,599.99 Retail Price

65” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M651d) – $1,999.99 Retail Price

70” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M701d) – $2,499.99 Retail Price

80” Razor LED Smart TV w/Theater 3D (M801d) – $4,499.99 Retail Price

See less See more
#7,179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womper  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24226690

Hi all. I found this thread helpful when I was researching, so I'll contribute.

Model M551d-A2

Purchased from Costco

V1.09.38.1488

Remote: XRT510 version V1.52, wifi channel 6

So far, I've only played with YouTube and Netflix, which are handy to have built-in. Controlling Youtube with my Android phone has been finicky, but still cool. Its picture quality meets my expectations so far, but I'm still tuning brightness and auto-dimming.

I'm having a problem with the remote though-- it fails to turn back on after going into power saving mode. That is, if I set it down for a minute or two, then it because unresponsive- the backlight for the buttons won't come on, and the buttons don't work. Taking one of the batteries out and putting it back in will bring the remote back to normal operation as long as I keep pressing buttons, but it will again become unresponsive if I don't use it for a minute or two. I heard some people had issues where another wifi device would cause similar problems with the remote, but in my case it really seems to be a bug with the remote's power-saving. I'll try different batteries anyways. Or maybe there's a newer software for the remote that fixes this?

Back to picture quality, I plugged my laptop in and found no dead pixels via the Dead Pixel Buddy program. I also checked for backlight uniformity using pure black (see pictures below). I was uneasy initially, but after looking at pictures of what other people are getting with this model and other new LCDs, I like what I have. Like any LCD, turning brightness to 100% in a completely dark room results in backlight bleeding and stuff. In my case, I have fairly symmetric flashlighting from the corners, but no clouds. Pardon the reflection of my laptop just bottom-rightish from center.

100% brightness, Game mode, pure black via dead pixel buddy:

Turning the brightness down to a reasonable 25% makes the flashlighting almost completely disappear. While viewing a widescreen clip of a space movie (like the clip of 2001 I found on Youtube), the bottom left and top right are slightly lighter gray than the other corners, but it's not distracting.

25% brightness, Game mode, pure black via dead pixel buddy

Give me your firmware

#7,180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ronin  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24226159

Ahh, now I get it. Thanks for the explanation. +1

That explains why I prefer game mode when watching 3D. I've always noticed that the 3D picture looks more natural when I switch to game mode, even though the smooth motion still indicates 'medium'. In 2D, I'm using calibrated dark, but with smooth motion turned off. I really wish Vizio would be clearer about things like this in their manual.

I agree. Their manual is pretty basic. I've learned much more from this thread than the manual or even their tech support.

I also agree that 3D seems more natural in Game mode. On top of that, I have found that the higher the Smooth Motion setting, the more depth there is to the 3D image. Unfortunately it's greyed out while you're watching 3D content, but there's a convoluted way to change the 3D Smooth Motion setting:

Start in 2D mode. Go into menu.

go to picture mode of choice (game, calibrated, etc)

go to down to "more" > "advanced picture"

go down and select 3D

select "3D", then "2D" from the 3D menu

you should be back in the advanced picture menu, however this is the 3D advanced picture menu that is partially greyed out while watching 3D. Here you can set the Smooth Motion level for 3D mode.

to back out: hit the 3D button on the remote, then select "2D" then "2D" again

Other Picture settings (except "sharpness") are available while you're in 3D mode. And each input has it's own 3D settings.

btw, for those of you who are new to the thread, there's more info and calibration settings in the Official Vizio "M-Series" Razor Owners Survival Thread .

#7,181 ·

ok so i know this may make a lot of people jealous considering all the reported issues with blooming/bleeding/flashlighting but I just wanted to show people that not all sets have this issue....in fact, mine has none at all.

as you can see, my screen is so black that you cannot even tell its there....my brightness and backlight settings are not turned down or anything unreasonable either.  as you can see, i waited to take this picture in low light conditions that would amplify any sort of flashlighting and blooming.  this is the 60in model.

#7,182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktx49  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24227506

ok so i know this may make a lot of people jealous considering all the reported issues with blooming/bleeding/flashlighting but I just wanted to show people that not all sets have this issue....in fact, mine has none at all.

as you can see, my screen is so black that you cannot even tell its there....my brightness and backlight settings are not turned down or anything unreasonable either.  as you can see, i waited to take this picture in low light conditions that would amplify any sort of flashlighting and blooming.  this is the 60in model.

That's crazy nice. I have actually never personally witnessed an LCD without visible backlights of some degree.

That said, these TV's have ambient light sensors that automatically turn down the brightness, plus local dimming. For my test, I disabled both of those features, and made sure the screen was displaying pure black (rather than the grey no-signal box which is a candidate for local dimming).

In real use-cases, the ambient dimming and local dimming seem to be pretty good at hiding any backlight issues.

#7,183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktx49  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24227506

Is smart dimming on or off?? I'm super jealous

#7,184 ·

smart dimming is ON, as always.

the picture was taken right after turning off my xbox360 and shows the TV as is with all of my normal settings that I've selected months ago *for the best picture quality*....so keep in mind its not like I've messed around with the settings to try and reduce the effect for the purposes of making a brag post or something.  I just want people to see what a proper M-Series set should look like on the "No Signal" screen(which seems to be the favorite way to magnify backlighting issues).

this TV smashes any other that I've compared it to....the image is just so vibrant and crisp and after playing around with the Color Temps for a few weeks, the colors just pop off the screen without looking fake and over-saturated like with the Vivid setting....the whites are almost blinding at times without any sort of hue/flavor...flesh tones are very accurate and realistic looking, and the blacks are just the "deepest" of any sort of screen I've seen in my entire life.

i hate to think I got lucky when I decided to go with a 60incher because I still want to purchase a smaller, M-Series for a family member.

#7,185 ·
ktx, my set was also pitch black with your test but there is significant flashlighting when there are bright objects in the center of the screen and the rest of the screen is dark....for instance a picture with movie credits running. A perfectly black screen will be pitch black as no light is needed for the entire screen.

#7,186 ·

Quote:

Do you have a stuck on white pixel?

#7,187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducpiloti  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228154

ktx, my set was also pitch black with your test but there is significant flashlighting when there are bright objects in the center of the screen and the rest of the screen is dark....for instance a picture with movie credits running. A perfectly black screen will be pitch black as no light is needed for the entire screen
so explain all the other pictures in this thread?  

no stuck pixel...thats the LED for my soundbar system.

#7,188 ·

Quote:

as you can see, my screen is so black that you cannot even tell its there....my brightness and backlight settings are not turned down or anything unreasonable either. as you can see, i waited to take this picture in low light conditions that would amplify any sort of flashlighting and blooming. this is the 60in model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228162

Do you have a stuck on white pixel?

WAIT! This can be MISLEADING.

Taking a picture isn't always the same as what your "eyes" show you in person. I took two pics of my 80" and one pics shows some, and then I refocused my iphone for the 2nd pic and it looked just like yours, full black. All of these tv's have some slight light when you get at a decent angle. There is no way these tv's are fully black every time. It's the techonogy and they aren't designed to be fully black. My buddy has a top of the line LG 55" from Magnolia that was $3k, and has more white in his corners than I've ever seen, but his picture is still the best I've ever seen. If I took a pic with my iphone and focused it in different areas before taking the pic, it would catch more of what your eyes don't always see.

Also, some of the pics people post of this show up much worse in the photo than in real life, same issue with the ambient light in the background and what the camera pics up.

#7,189 ·

so basically people are calling me a liar.  this isnt a camera trick or an illusion.  I can assure you I dont have any noticeable flashlighting which is why I took the time to make a post and take the pictures.

and yes if I view the screen from an extreme angle on the "No Signal" screen I can see a bit of flashlighting in the 4 corners but at any decent viewing angles the screen is pitch-black; sorry if yours isnt but I thought it would be helpful for people to see what a "good set" looks like.

why would I take a picture to "mislead" people?  i mean i understand being skeptical but lol come on

#7,190 ·
If you lived close to me, I'll bet you $500 I could come there and "my camera" could make yours look worse than it is. That's all I'm saying. Thiose pics are going to turn this post into an uproar with people runing back to exchange for no reason. I'm telling you now, 95% of the Vizio tv's out there "cannot" and "will not" look like those pics. That's why I took two pics, 10 seconds apart because I didn't want everyone to think my first pic, which looked all black was how it always looks.

This applies to all manufactures with led edge lit, etc. even full array do it.

#7,191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktx49  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228198

so basically people are calling me a liar.  I can assure you I dont have any noticeable flashlighting.  yes if I view the screen from an extreme angle on the "No Signal" screen I can see a bit of flashlighting in the 4 corners. 

why would I take a picture to "mislead" people?  i mean i understand being skeptical but lol

You're not lying...you're showing your results for local dimming, so your backlight is turned off except for a small strip along the sides to hit the "No Signal" image. There's no point in comparing backlight uniformity when local dimming is on since the backlight is off. But, your pictures do show how local dimming can really improve dark scenes.

#7,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktx49  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228129

smart dimming is ON, as always.

the picture was taken right after turning off my xbox360 and shows the TV as is with all of my normal settings that I've selected months ago *for the best picture quality*....so keep in mind its not like I've messed around with the settings to try and reduce the effect for the purposes of making a brag post or something.  I just want people to see what a proper M-Series set should look like on the "No Signal" screen(which seems to be the favorite way to magnify backlighting issues).

this TV smashes any other that I've compared it to....the image is just so vibrant and crisp and after playing around with the Color Temps for a few weeks, the colors just pop off the screen without looking fake and over-saturated like with the Vivid setting....the whites are almost blinding at times without any sort of hue/flavor...flesh tones are very accurate and realistic looking, and the blacks are just the "deepest" of any sort of screen I've seen in my entire life.

i hate to think I got lucky when I decided to go with a 60incher because I still want to purchase a smaller, M-Series for a family member.

Lucky!!! My brightness is so off that when watching a movie you can see lines from diff brightness levels.... None of my other vizios have one single prob... Can I get your picture settings?? Just want to try them out

#7,193 ·

so again, you(Jason) are basically calling me a liar...whether you intend to or not.

this is how my screen looks in PERSON... i even took 2 different pictures with 2 different camera settings to make sure I was capturing what I see with my own eyes correctly....can you give me a logical reason why I would sit around on a friday night trying to mislead people on AVS with inaccurate pictures of my TV set?  I am fully aware there are tons of people reporting flashlighting and other issues in this thread...and I see people talking about how much is "normal" and "acceptable" and yet we have rarely seen people post pictures of sets that DON'T have the issue; hence my post.

the vast majority of the pictures in this thread are naturally, posted by people who are dealing with problem-sets....because the average person who bought a perfectly good Vizio is not going to search around the internet and find a forum to post about it...they will just watch their TV happily and go about their lives.   I dont think we can even say for sure whether my set is in the minority because of this very same "filtering issue".   however, I dont think someone should accept a sub-standard product just because some of you guys think is normal. 

#7,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womper  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228274

Quote:

You're not lying...you're showing your results for local dimming, so your backlight is turned off except for a small strip along the sides to hit the "No Signal" image. There's no point in comparing backlight uniformity when local dimming is on since the backlight is off. But, your pictures do show how local dimming can really improve dark scenes.
again, my set just does not have noticeable flashlighting...I've actively looked for the effect during credits etc for several months now  because I feared I also bought a bad set and I just don't see it.  Give me an example of something I can take a picture of that would show flashlighting regardless of my settings and I will happily try it.  if its there, its just not noticeable. I've been scrutinizing this TV heavily since I purchased it at Costco because I had a narrow window to return it.

#7,195 ·
Pefect example here. This is mine:

My one pic looks similiar to yours. If I was calling you a liar, I would call you out on it. I'm not blaming you. I'm blaming different cameras in different lighting that can sometimes make things look worse and sometimes better. No harm, no foul. You are happy with your tv and I'm glad you are. I just will feel bad if everyone takes back a great tv for these issues and gets a new one that's might not always be better.

And yes, I do think my TV looks quite good

#7,196 ·

My Settings:

Picture Mode:  GAME

-Backlight :     60

-Brightness:   45

-Contrast:       55

-Color:            41

-Tint:                -1

-Sharpness:   20

Color Temp:  CUSTOM

-Red Gain:         140

-Green Gain:     117

-Blue Gain:        130

-Red Offset:       131

-Green Offset:   129

-Blue Offset:      128

Advanced Picture

-Auto Brightness:   OFF

-Black Detail:         OFF

-Smart Dimming:   ON

-Smooth Motion:    OFF

-Reduce Signal:     OFF

-Reduce Block:      OFF

-Film Mode:            AUTO

#9,834 ·
My Settings:

Picture Mode:  GAME
-Backlight :     60
-Brightness:   45
-Contrast:       55
-Color:            41
-Tint:                -1
-Sharpness:   20

Color Temp:  CUSTOM
-Red Gain:         140
-Green Gain:     117
-Blue Gain:        130
-Red Offset:       131
-Green Offset:   129
-Blue Offset:      128

Advanced Picture
-Auto Brightness:   OFF
-Black Detail:         OFF
-Smart Dimming:   ON
-Smooth Motion:    OFF
-Reduce Signal:     OFF
-Reduce Block:      OFF
-Film Mode:            AUTO
my m501d-a2r color settings only go to 100, is there an update to this calibration??

#7,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womper  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228274

Quote:

That's my thinking but it's quite impressive that there isn't a path of light (blooming) from the signal box.

#7,198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228362

Pefect example here. This is mine:

My one pic looks similiar to yours. If I was calling you a liar, I would call you out on it. I'm not blaming you. I'm blaming different cameras in different lighting that can sometimes make things look worse and sometimes better. No harm, no foul. You are happy with your tv and I'm glad you are. I just will feel bad if everyone takes back a great tv for these issues and gets a new one that's might not always be better.

And yes, I do think my TV looks quite good
If you are not calling me a liar, then you are misunderstanding what I'm saying.  Again, this is NOT a camera trick or the lighting or the conditions....that is how my TV looks IN PERSON.  Its not making things look better or worse, its a pretty damn good depiction of what my set looks like in person.   Your TV has blatant flashlighting in all 4 corners, particularly the bottom ones in BOTH pictures you just posted. 
I'm not looking to argue about this anymore because this is pretty simple....my pictures are not reducing the effect or making things look "better or worse"....they are showing it accurately which again, is the entire point of me posting them in the first place.  my set is pitch-black

#7,200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B  /t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/7170#post_24228459

I can take a picture that looks identical to yours, minus the dead pixel.
lets see it then...lucky for me, its not just a picture, thats how my TV actually looks in person in a dim setting.  

and look, I'm sorry my set doesn't have flashlighting like yours(however minor it may be, its still visible).  

and if your going to be immature and try trolling me with snide remarks like "dead pixel" I will just ignore your future posts. fwiw, I already told you guys thats the LED for my soundbar anyways but I'm guessing you know that.  

#7,201 ·
Look at my previous posts and how I've helped others on this board before you chastise.